• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[xbox 360] NHL 2K9 Team play anyone?

I guess I've been playing 2K's game for much longer and I like their hockey game more . . . I doubt there is enough interest to start a league, but how about a regular time for team play? It is really fun playing with mostly humans instead of just bots.

NHL 2K9 team play anyone? Post here and send friend invites to 'Speculawyer'.

Kingpen

I might be one of the only other ones on this board that actually has nhl2k9... I'm more of a offline franchise guy though, so that probably won't work out for you.

Kingpen

speculawyer said:
YOU ALL SUCK YOU MADE ME BUY NHL 09!

SUCK A BAG OF DICKS.

You may want to read some impressions of NHL 09 and the online play before you crack that plastic. The lag and horrible lobby system is one of the main reasons I stopped playing it and eventually traded it in. Everyone is hoping for a patch, but you know how EA works. When online works, it is great like butter, but it sucks a decent amount too because their servers have a lot of issues.

Kingpen said:
You may want to read some impressions of NHL 09 and the online play before you crack that plastic. The lag and horrible lobby system is one of the main reasons I stopped playing it and eventually traded it in. Everyone is hoping for a patch, but you know how EA works. When online works, it is great like butter, but it sucks a decent amount too because their servers have a lot of issues.
meh . . . the choppy frame rate during cut scenes and replays is annoying on the eye but at least it doesn't affect gameplay as much. NHL 09 has such a fundamentally different feel since the skaters often stand still whereas in NHL 2K9 they are constantly skating. I still like NHL 2K9 more, but at least I can regularly find people online for team play with NHL 09.

:O I think the fact that kingpen likes it more and that now it's $40 is the deciding factor in which one I'll get. Guess I'll order it later.

One thing that is really nice is that as long as you use the stick control on NHL 2K9, the controls are very similar and you can easily go back and forth between the two games. It wasn't so easy to do that with NHL 2K8.

I like the 2K9 controls a little more since you use the right-stick to control your stick on defense whereas you need to use a modifier to control your stick in NHL 09. NHL 09 uses the stick to control checking on defense . . . which seems kinda silly because why would you want to check empty space? (I guess the stick let's you control which direction you check if you are really close to two players, but that situation is pretty rare and you want to be be checking the guy with the puck or else you are committing interference.)

NHL 2K9 managed to keep the super-star moves but they are kinda hard to use in the game since it is so fast moving. However, when you are able to pull one off on a break-away, it is pretty satisfying. I like the fact that when you are waiting for a game to start in 'team-up', it puts you in a shoot-out practice mode so you can practice trying to pull them off.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
yep, I'm committed. I'll be picking it up this weekend. Feel free to add squatingyeti and hit me up for some games.

Top Bottom