• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming will let you stream your own games next month

XXL

Microsoft is planning to support the streaming of Xbox game libraries next month. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is getting ready to test the ability to stream games that you own that aren’t part of the existing Xbox Game Pass library.

As part of a long-running project known as Project Lapland inside Microsoft, the software giant has been readying its Xbox Cloud Gaming servers to be able to support streaming thousands of games. I’m told Microsoft will first test its new Xbox Cloud Gaming streaming capabilities with Xbox Insiders in November, before expanding them to more Xbox users.

The Xbox Cloud Gaming expansion comes in the same month Microsoft plans to enable game purchases in its Xbox mobile app for Android in the US. Microsoft is able to do this thanks to a court ruling earlier this week that forces Google to stop requiring Google Play Billing for apps in the Play Store on November 1st.

Last edited:

soulbait

Now I want Xbox to make a device like the PS Portal that can stream both local games and Cloud games. I think that would be great. And think about it, someone could actually just buy the device and stream from xcloud only, even buying games and streaming that way (not that I would recommend it).

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I have Red Dead 2 and Elden Ring stuck on the Series X I no longer own. Does that mean I can still play them without having to rebuy them on PC?

Kacho

Gold Member
Won't this inevitably lead us down a road where publishers make their games available on certain cloud streaming platforms for a period of time, like movie streaming services?

ThisIsMyDog

Gold Member
Sorry, but if xCloud keeps the stream quality they have now, I wouldn't touch this even if someone threatened me with a gun. It’s that bad. It’s like finding out your wife is sleeping with her manager—or even worse. It’s like killing the next Jesus. Disgusting image quality.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Wonder which games are going to be held back. From the article:

While thousands of games will soon be available through Xbox Cloud Gaming, I’m told some publishers will hold certain games back due to licensing requirements or deals.

ThisIsMyDog

Gold Member
If that service won't get GTA VI day one then everyone in Microsoft responsible for xcloud should be fired for wasting huge business opportunity.

Quasicat

Finally! I’ve been waiting for this since half of time that I want to play the TV is not available. I like playing the stuff on Game Pass Ultimate, but I have hundreds more that I’ve purchased that I want to play!

Ozriel

M$FT
If this is free or if they introduce a £5/$5/€5 streaming only tier that includes this - great. If this is tied to Game Pass Ultimate it’s another con.

Why would they let you reserve Xbox Series hardware in the cloud for free, or for just $5 monthly?

reinking

Gold Member
Why would they let you reserve Xbox Series hardware in the cloud for free, or for just $5 monthly?

I am not trying to make a console warrior comment, but I can stream PS games I own free. I was hoping that is what MS is doing. Are they going to host all of these games and you stream directly from them?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why TF would I want to reserve the old ass Series hardware at £14.99 a month when you have stuff like GeForce now offering a free tier with 1 hour sessions or their priority service @ £49 for 6 months (which dumps on xCloud quality wise)

Quasicat

I am not trying to make a console warrior comment, but I can stream PS games I own free. I was hoping that is what MS is doing. Are they going to host all of these games and you stream directly from them?
If you’re talking about remote play, streaming from the console, then yes both the PS5 and Xbox do that. Unfortunately streaming from the cloud costs money on both services. You need PS Plus Premuim and Game Pass Ultimate to stream games from the cloud. It’s free to remote play from your console.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why TF would I want to reserve the old ass Series hardware at £14.99 a month when you have stuff like GeForce now offering a free tier with 1 hour sessions or their priority service @ £49 for 6 months (which dumps on xCloud quality wise)

Apples to oranges comparison. You’d have to buy the games all over again on GeForce Now. And it’s certainly not worth it for anyone to pay for GP Ultimate solely to stream games.

Agreed that XCloud needs a significant quality bump.

Are they going to host all of these games and you stream directly from them?

that’s what it means, yes.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Won't this inevitably lead us down a road where publishers make their games available on certain cloud streaming platforms for a period of time, like movie streaming services?

Why does the scaremongering always start when it’s console?

GeForce Now has been operating on the exact same premise for years and it hasn’t ushered in the apocalypse yet. Or looked likely to.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You could always stream directly from your Xbox, what I am missing here?
I dont do Xbox streaming, but is it limited to only certain games? Or all games you own can be streamed?

It sounds like in the thread, only some games allow streaming from your games library?

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Strike it up as another pointless endeavour in that case.

This is hilarious. So MS is supposed to let everyone use X cloud for free? I could see a free version with 1 hour limit and long wait times like Nvidia, but just a straight up free service? Sony doesn't even provide cloud saves for free lol

Cloud has real costs to operate, so, I can't see any successful service running for free. At least not for long.

Plus, the Nvidia free tier leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like they use a very slow (for gaming) distributed storage on that, trying to run in anything UE5 is painful (massive hitches in the engine streaming, not the video stream) plus you have the wait and the time limits.

reinking

Gold Member
If you’re talking about remote play, streaming from the console, then yes both the PS5 and Xbox do that. Unfortunately streaming from the cloud costs money on both services. You need PS Plus Premuim and Game Pass Ultimate to stream games from the cloud. It’s free to remote play from your console.

that’s what it means, yes.

Thanks.

I thought XB already had remote play but I have had Game Pass for so long I wasn't sure. Cool. I plan to let Game Pass expire and remote play will take care of any "streaming" need I have.

Esppiral

I dont do Xbox streaming, but is it limited to only certain games? Or all games you own can be streamed?

It sounds like in the thread, only some games allow streaming from your games library?
Maybe I am misunderstanding this but I've allways been able to stream anything from my Xbox to other devices.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Apples to oranges comparison. You’d have to buy the games all over again on GeForce Now. And it’s certainly not worth it for anyone to pay for GP Ultimate solely to stream games.
You’re working from the assumption that a person has an existing Xbox library, but no PC library.

However GeForce Now links to your Xbox, Steam, Windows, Epic accounts etc and streams those games. You don’t need to build a separate library:

gqpallG.jpeg

This is hilarious. So MS is supposed to let everyone use X cloud for free? I could see a free version with 1 hour limit and long wait times like Nvidia, but just a straight up free service? Sony doesn't even provide cloud saves for free lol
Yes, like Nvidia there should be a free ad supported tier with a 1 hour time restriction. These will be competing services after all.

6 months of Ge Force Priority is £49.99. 6 months of Game Pass Ultimate would be £89.84.

I’ll let you decide on an acceptable price for xCloud but I think tethering it to Ultimate would be an extremely disappointing decision which ensures people who’ve left the ecosystem (like me) won’t be paying anything to access my old library.

Sony are scam artists, why even bring them in to the equation.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You’re working from the assumption that a person has an existing Xbox library, but no PC library.

However GeForce Now links to your Xbox, Steam, Windows, Epic accounts etc and streams those games. You don’t need to build a separate library:

gqpallG.jpeg

This thread is about being able to stream games you purchase on Xbox. The assumption being that you’ve got an xbox, have a library of purchased xbox games and would like the ability to stream from a cloud console.

At the moment, GFN streams certain games from your GamePass library. Unless that changes to stream your purchased Xbox games, you’re going to have to buy these titles again on PC to stream via GFN.

Of course if all someone wants is to stream games remotely and doesn’t have a large console library, GFN is the better streaming option.

Pimpbaa

Last 2 times I tried it (on my series x which which is wired to my router) it looked like a poorly compressed mpeg 2 video with odd color artifact and dropped frames. I have fiber op internet, but I must be too far away from the nearest server.

Top Bottom