• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming will let you stream your own games next month

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
xCloud could be such a win for MS if only the streaming was actually good. It doesn’t even need to be GeForce Now levels of good, it just needs to be lower (MUCH lower) latency.

I don’t even mind the degraded visual quality. I don’t mind the occasional stutter. But I can’t handle playing a game with 150+ ms of input latency. If they could get that sub-100, I’d actually stream game pass games to my phone all the time.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Definitely another huge bonus for buying digital. Load up your whole library on phone, TVs, browsers. Not something I plan on using a lot but its cool.

Blessed beard

Neo Member
They currently stream series s versions of titles
A 1080p compressed image at low bitrate with no surround sound or HDR.
the image quality is really poor.
it baffles me that xbox are pushing this so hard without investing money into it to allow it to match rival platforms.
Why would anybody want to play games this way.
Also last time I checked it was still in beta for the last 3 or 4 years.Is this still the case ?

Blessed beard

Neo Member
xCloud could be such a win for MS if only the streaming was actually good. It doesn’t even need to be GeForce Now levels of good, it just needs to be lower (MUCH lower) latency.

I don’t even mind the degraded visual quality. I don’t mind the occasional stutter. But I can’t handle playing a game with 150+ ms of input latency. If they could get that sub-100, I’d actually stream game pass games to my phone all the time.
Doesn't need to match geforce now top tier but should match their 1080p tier and playstation and its not close

A 1080p compressed image at low bitrate with no surround sound or HDR.
the image quality is really poor.
it baffles me that xbox are pushing this so hard without investing money into it to allow it to match rival platforms.
Why would anybody want to play games this way.
Also last time I checked it was still in beta for the last 3 or 4 years.Is this still the case ?
It says in the article “As part of a long-running project known as Project Lapland inside Microsoft, the software giant has been readying its Xbox Cloud Gaming servers to be able to support streaming thousands of games” so it sounds more than possible that upgrades are coming.

If they are going all in with it, maybe they’re going to do a big technical upgrade. GFN is fantastic, and with Microsoft being a leader in cloud infrastructure (outside of gaming) it’s not a huge stretch for them to up their game to get to that level.

Let’s wait for the announcement.

My biggest problem is my sound glitches alot.

I think my Samsung TV comes with xbox cloud.
To be honest not to make this a console vs console thing….if this happens wouldnt xbox dwarf the potential customers that playstation has ot anybody for that matter.

Beechos

Xcloud is definitely serviceable. I use it all the time on my steamdeck. I wouldn't recommend playing modern games on it. Anything xbox 360 era and below play just fine and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if it was streaming or not.

Bridges

Fantastic news, I've been waiting for this for awhile.

However, if the first wave of titles doesn't include Balatro then this is so for naught

Bridges

The first wave will likely consist mostly of games that were Cloud enabled through Gamepass already. There are tons of games that launched into "Xbox, PC and Cloud" and then left the service, some of them even had touch controls enabled like the Danganronpa series. I can't imagine they did that work solely for a 12 month window.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I'm guessing Diablo 4 is out because of the Activision BS. This is pretty huge for me if it allows it, and most other games I own.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

Other than physical distance to the data center the only other thing that can rectify this somewhat is running the game at very high frame rates. But even Series X hardware is going to be limited compare to something like Geforce Now Ultimate which is a 4080.

soulbait

Maybe I am misunderstanding this but I've allways been able to stream anything from my Xbox to other devices.

Not through the cloud. You could only stream from your console, which relies on your home network and internet provider to serve out the game. For most people, this is not a good solution for when you are not on the same network as your Xbox.

This is streaming the games through xCloud, where the only thing you have to worry about is the current network you are using. Microsoft's cloud is streaming the game to you, not your own personal xbox. This makes it, in theory, more versatile and better performance throughout.

Example: earlier this year I was in Mexico. I was able to play some games via xCloud, but trying to stream from my console back home would not have worked as well. When I was in Mexico, I was limited to the games available on GamePass cloud streaming. With this change, I would be able to stream any game I own through the xCloud service.

Top Bottom