• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox: setting up my custom soundtracks via FTP?

Gantz

Banned
I got a modded xbox and was wondering is there a way to upload and customize your custom soundtracks for games via ftp? I got a thomson drive so it doesn't read burned cds.

FightyF

Banned
Oh and if all you want to do is to put your burnt music onto the Xbox...you can use a re-writable CD. I have the same prob as you so I use CD-RWs to put music I made onto the Xbox.

Kuroyume

Banned
I have a Thomson...

Do you need to have the XBOX modded for it to read CD-RWs? I would like to add some music on there that's on my PC...

BeOnEdge

Banned
you just need to use certain cdrws. i have a thompson drive as well. i use maxell cdrws and burn as data. the xbox copies em fine.

FightyF

Banned
I have a Thomson drive and CD-RW's work fine. Did you make an audio cd or a data cd? The Xbox does not read data cds.

???

So when he converts all his stuff to WMA as you suggested, and then puts it on a RW...his Xbox won't be able to read it because it's a data CD?

BeOnEdge

Banned
thompson drives DO NOT read all CDRWs. If you want guaranteed compatability, go to best buy or whatever and get maxell CDRWs. use WAV format but BURN the CD as a DATA cd, NOT a MUSIC CD.

Gantz said:
I got a modded xbox and was wondering is there a way to upload and customize your custom soundtracks for games via ftp? I got a thomson drive so it doesn't read burned cds.

I'm exactly the same situation. I transfered my songs to my Xbox via ftp in .mp3 format. I actually found the folder where the custom soundtracks go through the XBMC and copied a few .mp3s into an existing folder that had .wmv songs that had been ripped through the normal Xbox Music CD ripper. But I couldn't see the file at all when I loaded up the normal Xbox bios and viewed the soundtrack folder.

So I just have to convert the .mp3s to .wmvs for it to work? It'd rather not have to use CD-RWs (as I haven't had any luck with them yet). Also you can't rip anything besides .wav files through the Xbox Music CD ripper can you? So CD-RWs would take forever. I'd rather just transfer the files as .wmvs.

Wow that's a lot of bad advice.

You must use a program to convert the music to WMA. Then you use Xbox Soundtrack editor to transfer the music to the Xbox......

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/too...VEupFZZAnNzBHxA

I have a Thomson drive and CD-RW's work fine. Did you make an audio cd or a data cd? The Xbox does not read data cds.

The Xbox rips your cds to 128kbps WMA files, so when you convert your music to WMA use that bitrate.

I guess I'll look into this...

Can you just rename the .mp3 file to .wmv on the Xbox to get the mp3s to play in games? Or doesn't this work?

Edit: Every time i said ".wmv" i mean't ".wma" ;p

Actually, it is pretty easy.

1. Have your Xbox run an FTP server (Through evolution-x, xbox media center, etc...)
2. Convert all the songs you want to use into WMA 8 format (DBpoweramp is a pretty easy convertor to use).
3. Use Xbox soundtrack editor to connect to your xbox FTP server, create/delete soundtracks and upload your wmas.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The soundtrack editor is buggytho, unless it has been updated.

Uncle Dukey said:
Actually, it is pretty easy.

1. Have your Xbox run an FTP server (Through evolution-x, xbox media center, etc...)
2. Convert all the songs you want to use into WMA 8 format (DBpoweramp is a pretty easy convertor to use).
3. Use Xbox soundtrack editor to connect to your xbox FTP server, create/delete soundtracks and upload your wmas.

Cool. Done first two steps. Annoying that you can't convert more then one mp3 at a time to a wma ;p

Edit: Actually it's 5. Damn trial version ;p

aerofx

Red Dolphin said:
Cool. Done first two steps. Annoying that you can't convert more then one mp3 at a time to a wma ;p

Edit: Actually it's 5. Damn trial version ;p

You sure? I'm using that same DBpoweramp program and I'm converting 26 songs. I see no limitations. I'm using the shareware version as well.

aerofx said:
You sure? I'm using that same DBpoweramp program and I'm converting 26 songs. I see no limitations. I'm using the shareware version as well.

Actually I used a program called Advanced WMA Workshop to convert the files to .wma. I went to get DBpoweramp and it said you had to get extra plug ins to convert from mp3 to wma. I thought it was going to be more hassle then it was worth..

Also I used the Xbox soundtrack editor to put my songs on the Xbox. It's a nice simple program but I could only upload about 20 songs at a time for some reason. If I tried more nothing seemed to upload.

Anyway it was all worth it! Got a great set of songs on my Xbox now. I'm enjoying Burnout 3 soooooo much more with my own music :D

suikodan

Wow, it seems so complicated.

I just converted .mp3 into .wma and uploaded them in the soundtrack folder via FTP.

Top Bottom