• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Some.. interesting advice, anyway!

Also, I hear it's absolutely paramount to get lots of satellites early on?
I don't know if I'd say paramount. I mostly used them to reduce panic early on, but put up more throughout the game until I had almost the entire planet covered. It's a juggling game, as you have lots of different areas to spend money on.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Even on normal though? I love the game to death so far, but the cover should be doing more for my defense, and getting shot through walls by overwatched enemies is kind of ridiculous.
If cover did more hits would be so rare on both sides (that said I prefer the original games' use of the encironment without cover systems, just a pure line of sight system. I don't think that you get hit through walls, overwatch occurs only if you get in line of sight, it's just the animations that may delay or otherwise mess up so that it looks like that while not actually being unfair with the game rules. There are lots of visual glitches and general lack of polish, like people smashing windows to fire through from the wrong side etc. anyway, think of the strategy and rules, not the eye candy's interpretation of it which may not be accurate.

I have this game for PS3. So many bugs. It's like Skyrim all over again.

My game literally freezes up everytime my skyranger lands. Everytime.

My hover shiv won't shoot or fly.

My regulare shiv cannot be selected. Just gives me the denial sound.

Fix this ish Firaxis.

Yeah, my PS3 copy also runs pretty poorly. Lot's of skipping sound and lots of little freezes. Even the Firaxis logo at the beginning has small sound issues. It's pretty annoying, but at least it's not affecting the gameplay.

Oppo

Even on normal though? I love the game to death so far, but the cover should be doing more for my defense, and getting shot through walls by overwatched enemies is kind of ridiculous.

you guys are right, i'll probably just start over on classic ironman and find my balls

Your personal Will score will go up if you presevere.

you guys are right, i'll probably just start over on classic ironman and find my balls

don't feel bad mang, i get dang near impossible odds thrown at me on easy difficulty, you're a better man than myself for even considering classic ironman.

I should probably start a non ironman normal difficulty game if I've never played any XCOM before right? Excited to get home to try it.

I'd never played XCOM before and played it on Classic without Ironman, and I beat it last night. It was difficult, but if you learn from your mistakes you can get the strategy down pat. Again, I'll compare it to Dark Souls. It's tough if you get too cocky and think you've learned the game, because the game will always find a way to one-up you when you least expect it.

Going to try a Normal Ironman run next, and if it's too easy I'll probably start over and try Classic Ironman.

Bread

Banned
Your personal Will score will go up if you presevere.
DwightFistPump.gif

I WILL ERADICATE THESE ALIEN BITCHES

Branson

I'd never played XCOM before and played it on Classic without Ironman, and I beat it last night. It was difficult, but if you learn from your mistakes you can get the strategy down pat. Again, I'll compare it to Dark Souls. It's tough if you get too cocky and think you've learned the game, because the game will always find a way to one-up you when you least expect it.

Going to try a Normal Ironman run next, and if it's too easy I'll probably start over and try Classic Ironman.

Thanks. Yeah I want to try ironman since it seems like that just reloading after losing a character feels like cheating in a weird way. I might try Normal Ironman. Hmmm.

Thanks. Yeah I want to try ironman since it seems like that just reloading after losing a character feels like cheating in a weird way. I might try Normal Ironman. Hmmm.

I actually had a self-imposed rule where I only reloaded the mission if I had a full party wipe, and only saved at the beginning of the mission so I had to decide if losing one soldier was important enough for me to restart the entire mission. Usually it wasn't. For the first two months of missions, I usually lost 1-2 soldiers a mission, but once I got a 6-man team and started really learning the ins and outs of strategy I wasn't losing anybody or having to restart at all.

Anyone else let out a huge grin when you heard the classic female scream from Xcom Apocalypse?

Shame I only heard it once through out the entire game.

FStop7

Banned

If you're getting shot by enemies who are in overwatch then you're not in cover. You're moving across their field of view.

Claymores

Banned
Time to deinstall and reinstall the original game I think, Just sick of the bullshit this game is pulling.

Sectoid just dashed though 5 major+ ranked soldiers overwatch fire to take cover on the other side of a car 3 of my soldiers are sationed, next turn 5 soldiers including 2 assault on the other side of the car rapid firing with shotguns and miss 90%+ shots. Next turn lose most of the squad to aliens sniping halfway across the map despite been in full cover and poping a smoke grenade.

Tacitus_

Do you get a permanent -Will if your guy goes to the infirmary with Critical Injuries? I mean the ones where they don't start bleeding out on the field but survive with 1hp or something. Cos I've got an assault colonel with 66 Will... luckily he doesn't like to panic much

garath

If you beat it on classic, normal ironman will be too easy. I'm finding it very easy and it's my first playthrough (so making mistakes with base building, etc).

The only squad member I lost was because I didn't know stabilize was a different hotkey than heal and I healed my support person instead of stabilizing the critical guy on his last turn. That's ironman though, no going back.

He was only a squaddie.

McNum

You know, I can appriciate it when an open game has its point of no return labeled clearly. And XCOM does not disappoint. A huge red popup with the header "
THE FINAL STEP!
" Can't say you weren't warned there.

Well, I'm off to save the world. Or get horribly blown up. That mission looks pretty long. Literally, too. That's a long map. If only there was a class that excelled at huge distances... This is going to be a shooting gallery, isn't it?

Cute little reference to the oroginal game there, too. No, not talking about
The Gollop Chamber
, even if that's a nice touch, too, I'm talking about the mission name.
"Operation Avenger"
. Nice. Speaking of mission names, the last mission before I went on this one? "Operation Final Future". Being the last normal mission I did, it seems about right.

All these people having such an easy time with the game on Normal as their first ever playthough must not have Ironman on. Or I suck.

I'm near the end of the game and my squad wiped, well, pretty much wiped with my first encounter with Sectoidpod thing (Mech) and then the following mission with my first Etheral.

Ever since then I'm really struggling to get any characters past Rank 2 or 3 before they die and the loop keeps going. It's really hard to take a squad of four squaddies and maybe one or two Rank 3 people and clear much of anything even WITH all the best equipment.

I feel like I'm running up a muddy hill most the time.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Speaking of mission names, the last mission before I went on this one? "Operation Final Future". Being the last normal mission I did, it seems about right.

Are the mission names randomly generated? If so, i wonder if we can access that and change that. Id love to have random missions named "Operation Drunk Monkey" and the like

McNum

Are the mission names randomly generated? If so, i wonder if we can access that and change that. Id love to have random missions named "Operation Drunk Monkey" and the like
Yeah, there's a list of words it picks from, but they're random. With, apparently, an algorithm to create the most metal operation names. At least half the mission names would be a good name for a metal band.

I dunno how well it is selling but I can only imagine what a seuqel would look like on the next round of consoles. I would love more interactive enviroments.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I assume it has sold quite well. It has been in the top 3 of most played games on steam since it came out, pretty much.

Time to deinstall and reinstall the original game I think, Just sick of the bullshit this game is pulling.

Sectoid just dashed though 5 major+ ranked soldiers overwatch fire to take cover on the other side of a car 3 of my soldiers are sationed, next turn 5 soldiers including 2 assault on the other side of the car rapid firing with shotguns and miss 90%+ shots. Next turn lose most of the squad to aliens sniping halfway across the map despite been in full cover and poping a smoke grenade.

you did play the original right?

sogooooooood

how's this doing sales-wise?

i'd really take an XCOM remake 2 before civ 6 to be honest. C'mon firaxis

I'm hoping it does well enough for a sequel, although I'm not sure it'll boom on consoles. Seems to be doing fine in the PC-verse though.

If they do a sequel, I hope they add a few more classes, maybe a little more variety in the skill trees. I'd also like some sort of melee option. Maybe not initially, but with some alien research maybe they make a lightsaber or some armor that gives you a berserker type strength. That way you can really have a heavy charge into battle and just crush things, or a ghost-armored ninja with a lightsaber that sneaks behind enemy lines and assassinates enemies in one blow. I know melee classes would be risky, but I'd like more risky yet powerful classes.

Some randomly generated maps, another class or two, expanded skill trees, a few melee options, some more options for middle class armors, an option for a larger squad. I think that rounds out about what I want to see from a sequel.

Grimsen

LOL your tears and mental anguish are sustenance to our Alien Overlords.

Hargenx

My attack to the Hidden alien base got from PERFECT to a TOTAL DISASTER in the very end...

Killed the 7 last Mutons and 2 Berserk, just one fallen hero in my team goes KIA!

Get in to find the commander and here shit got real, first a wild Berserker appears from behind(WHAT?!) and Kill my sniper, the Commander get control of my Assault and Kill my Heavy, and here we go with my last Sniper and a other assault facing the Berserker...

Yay, all over for just a Berserker and a Commander... and a traitor. LOL

P.S. If I attack the alien base right way, what I gonna meet there, a empty base?! or a respawn enemy(same or else?!) or a new random base?!

I think I gonna try this tomorrow...LOL

Is close combat totally bugged? I had a beserker charge my close combat assault and he just sat their with his thumb up his butt and let himself get murdered, even though he had fulll ammo.

fasterthanu

Neo Member
Just finished my normal ironman game after 26 hrs. I didn't realize that not capturing any aliens stops the story from progressing at all. So that was 18 hrs of basically going nowhere. Still was fun though.

My veteran sniper (30+ missions and 100+ kills) in his ghost armor saved me at the very end after his remaining 3 squadmates all got mind controlled and were trying to kill him. He was able to evade for 3 turns until they came back to my control. He also killed the boss with a nice headshot critical to finish the game. Not bad considering he only had 5 health for 3/4 of the mission.

Mupod

Is close combat totally bugged? I had a beserker charge my close combat assault and he just sat their with his thumb up his butt and let himself get murdered, even though he had fulll ammo.

They actually fire even if they have no ammo.

Did he run in from around a corner? I find it doesn't trigger if that happens, but if they walk across a tile in front of the assault then it'll trigger, if that makes sense.

They actually fire even if they have no ammo.

Did he run in from around a corner? I find it doesn't trigger if that happens, but if they walk across a tile in front of the assault then it'll trigger, if that makes sense.

Actually yea, That's exactly what happened. I'll keep that in mind, pretty annoying too.

*don't feel bad about reloads from dying due to bugs*

Had a total success kid moment. Sniper misses his shot, and explodes the gas tank next to another muton to get the kill. I was cracking up.

I fucking hate it when soldiers panic and attack their own team. It's so unpredictable and non-nonsensical and really fucked me over the last time it happened.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I fucking hate it when soldiers panic and attack their own team. It's so unpredictable and non-nonsensical and really fucked me over the last time it happened.

On the flip side, I laugh my ass off when aliens get shot in the face by my panicking soldiers.Its beautiful.

NIN90

Forgot to launch my satellite at the end of the first month. Could've used that 150 cash from Russia .

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif

On the flip side, I laugh my ass off when aliens get shot in the face by my panicking soldiers.Its beautiful.

I think over the course of my 20 hours of play time I've only had like 3 actual hits from panic.

jhawk6

Just finished my normal ironman game after 26 hrs. I didn't realize that not capturing any aliens stops the story from progressing at all. So that was 18 hrs of basically going nowhere. Still was fun though.

My veteran sniper (30+ missions and 100+ kills) in his ghost armor saved me at the very end after his remaining 3 squadmates all got mind controlled and were trying to kill him. He was able to evade for 3 turns until they came back to my control. He also killed the boss with a nice headshot critical to finish the game. Not bad considering he only had 5 health for 3/4 of the mission.

I'm curious about what kind of enemies you were facing near that 18 hour mark before u captured any aliens.

The game definitely seems to send tougher enemy types at you the further in time u progress on the in-game calendar but surely the game would still have to regularly supply you with sectoids or outsiders to capture for story progression purposes which would be hella easier if a pack of those spawned instead of say 2 sectopods or mutoid elites.

Shit gets crazy when you're in the shit...especially alien shit.

Also...after having a rookie kill one of my sergeants after he flipped the fuck out...I only arm my rookies with shit rifles until they're a squaddie.

...fuckin rookies.

Dakota47

I have an idea for a GAFCOM mod. Very simple: compile all the names of everyone who has posted in the OT, and use those in stead of the regular name files. Would anyone be interested? I have a little time on my hands tomorrow and it shouldn't be too much work anyway.

fin

So I'm on my third attempt at Normal Ironman.

First play through around 12 hours, panic level got too high. I was doing really good on the ground though, my squad was badass.

Second play through around 2 hours, I gave up when my entire squad got wiped out and the VIP got killed :p

Now about 5 hours into my 3rd game. Things are going pretty good. I did loose an entire squad last night after shooting down a monster UFO and investigating the crash. But I'm working on a come back here. Although my panic level is at about 50% right now.

Really digging this game, here's hoping for Steam workshop support.

Top Bottom