• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

LegatoB

Such a thing...

iSJ1MwvJZqhHq.jpg

I think I'll go play Dishonored and classic X-Com.
Tell me I went out with dignity. Lie to me, Kyouji.

Palmer_v1

interesting. I'll try it on Mutons.

Also, since someone was talking about glitches and such: does anyone else's game go to like 10 frames per second each time a berzeker walks the turn he's been hit? it's really weird

other than that the only issues im having is regular UE3 texture streaming crap. Each time you go out of the loadout of a soldier before going into a mission he stands there in open arms (character model pose) for little less than a second then turns back.

Yeah I can't remember the will on my Psi Support, but Mutons and Floaters are basically 100% guaranteed MC targets. I love grabbing the heavy floaters and using their jump ability to scout the ass end of a map.

Anybody have the resolution change from time to time? Sometimes i'll start the game and have black bars in the sides. I check the resolution and it was changed to 1600 x something.

calder

Oh man I just realized I need to change the nicknames of all my soldiers to SC2 pro names.

But who will earn the rarest honour of being my #1 sniper? MVP? HuK? BoxeR? Jinro (all-time fav maybe)?

EDIT: yeah almost all Terran that's right. Zerg suck Toss suck.

I dont really dig the psi abilities beyond mindfray really..

soldiers being in panic almost always works in my favor so that's never been that much of an issue. I havent tried to gain control of enemies so far, but I hear you have to get quite lucky to make it happen

With Mind Shield, Psi Armor, and Psi Inspiration and high starting Will, I had a 100% chance of Mind Controlling a Beserker, which I think without stat boosting is around a 25% chance. If you want to make your psychic guy a badass, you can definitely pull it off.

It's the same as the original, these games have sort of an inverted difficulty curve and are supposed to as at some point you have turned the tide against the aliens.

I found the most difficult parts were when Mutons first appeared and I didn't have Laser weapons yet. That was the first spike. The second spike was around the
alien base
because nearly all the countries were in a panic and I was behind on putting up satellites. The third spike was when Chyrsalids showed up and I didn't have a whole lot of high-ranking soldiers, and then it kind of plateau'd. There was another slight spike once the Sectopods showed up but all the other new enemies were kind of AH! Oh, okay, now I know how to deal with you. Once you start getting anything plasma for weaponry and any of the endgame armor, the difficulty definitely starts to ramp down. However, I think XCOM is similar to Dark Souls in that once you get the right equipment and get the combat/strategy down, you won't have a problem, but if you get cocky and slip up one mistake can still cause a total party wipe, even with your best soldiers with the best equipment.

Anybody have the resolution change from time to time? Sometimes i'll start the game and have black bars in the sides. I check the resolution and it was changed to 1600 x something.

This happens to me if I change to windowed mode. Even when I go back to fullscreen it leaves the res at the new lower setting.

Also fuck the building site level. It's pretty much a guaranteed loss past normal difficulty as you always get situations where you've got enemies outflanking you from literally every angle. It's just impossible to recover from, especially if you're in the early game techwise.

I've reached the point of no return. My difficulty curve was a bit less inverted than others. I actually had a pretty easy time through the
alien base
. After I cleared it, however, I paid a huge price for neglecting my interceptor tech. I couldn't shoot down UFOs, and I didn't have the alloys to upgrade my interceptors, so I had to wait over a month for a UFO landing. Meanwhile I wasn't making much money, which meant a research and hiring freeze. I lost a few veterans, China quit the council, and I was very worried I was going to see a game over screen. I suppose that was all my own fault though. As for the actual missions, the worst for me were between the arrival of
Ethereals
and the purchase of ultimate weapons/armor. Only now do I feel like I've turned the tide (again).

Question: can you only ever have one
psi-operative
at a time? My testing results are pretty unlucky otherwise.

So I just impulse bought this game just now as I enjoyed the demo. Let the long download commence.

Looking forward to making my squad and trying my hardest to make sure nobody dies. Nobody died on me in Valkyria Chronicles, so I'll be damned if I let it happen here...

Yeah, that won't happen...

Mupod

Hold the goddamn phone. Bulletstorm lets you fire twice in one turn? Fuck me.

Yeah this way you can miss twice as often.

Seriously though it's an amazing ability not just for shooting twice. You can shoot and use psi, shoot and suppress, shoot and get the hell out of there, shoot and hunker down etc.

Edit: Also, heavies tend to destroy cover a lot so you can figure out why this can be real nice. It's also why Sectopods are real bastards with their ability to freely target the crap you're hiding behind.

I just lost my first guy because I was shot by 6 mutons through a wall... After that I lost Argentina because the ship attacking it decimated my sky ranger and seemed to add 4 pips to the panic meter. Think it's time to give the game a break for a while...

So I've never played XCOM before... Any tips?
I regret not building the foundry at the earliest opportunity. Once you see a message saying you can build it, do so. You upgrade lots of good stuff: SCOPE unit gives you even better aim, medkits heal better, and with the ammo conservation research your guys will have to reload half as often.

Just beat it (on normal) jumped online and got my meet new friends then kill them achievement (nice touch) Will probably start Classic Ironman later today or tomorrow. My base planning, and research was a mess first time around. Think I have it squared away how to go about it now. Although I am open to suggestions on which routes you all went first.

oh I only lost 3 souls (all on the tutorial mission) so ya normal was pretty easy....
sectopods are just brutal not looking forward to them on classic...

Noaloha

Just started a fresh new Classic Ironman playthrough after spending some time getting my head around the strategy layer and the various resources and durations that are there to be considered. Trying out a new approach this playthrough -- XCOM base in South America! See if I can surf that free research buff over the early wave of difficulty that Classic drops you in.

Plan was to get a single satellite up in the USA, collect any Engineer rewards I could and rush through the early research and Arc Thrower whilst getting Alien Containment prepped. The first month's now finished and things went pretty well! No deaths!

The highlight of the month was bagging a Sectoid and a Thin Man during the Council Mission, immediately after my Arc Thrower was ready for use. Prioritising alien stuns over bomb disposal was pretty fucking tense.

So I'm now at April 1st, with Beam Weapons unlocking on the 5th (!). Money doesn't look too bad. Plans for the second month are to start building three new satellites before the 8th, an Uplink before the 14th and the Training School whenever I can squeeze it in and a Power Supply straight away for the necessary juice.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The updated S.C.O.P.E. is really, REALLY useful on snipers and heavies. Like, godlike. One kitted sniper and an accompaining heavy for wide coverage can create some serious fucking damage by themselves.

Anyone want my last X-COM steam key. I'll get more in a few hours but last one at this price.

Lowering the prices to $34 USD.

PM me

Posting again because it's the last one and because $34 is good right?
I sold quite a lot in this thread already and on Buy/Sell thread I am Neogaf Plus.

Edit: GONE
Will have new keys soon, but back at $35

Mupod

The updated S.C.O.P.E. is really, REALLY useful on snipers and heavies. Like, godlike. One kitted sniper and an accompaining heavy for wide coverage can create some serious fucking damage by themselves.

The upgrade says it improves crit%, but does it improve the aim further too? I say this because the combat drugs smoke upgrade says that it only improves will and crit%, but it definitely increases aim as well.

moai

so i'm playing on 360 and all my saves for the last two days have disappeared............is this the game telling me to play on ironman?
more seriously, this sucks.

Bread

Banned
wow fuck these difficulty spikes, throwing 6 mutons and a beserker at me when I literally just took one turn off the ship? Fucking stupid. How am I supposed to build up any recruits if literally every mission is me being ambushed by enemies that have more armor and better accuracy?

Just beat it (on normal) jumped online and got my meet new friends then kill them achievement (nice touch) Will probably start Classic Ironman later today or tomorrow.

I tried to play multiplayer last night and kept getting errors, said my version didn't match up or whatever. Is there a patch on the 360 I haven't downloaded or something?

Branson

I should probably start a non ironman normal difficulty game if I've never played any XCOM before right? Excited to get home to try it.

You can stop them from bleeding out with a Medikit, but it's not really worthwhile. They take a significant, permanent hit to their Will stat just for going down. Just let them bleed out so that they die a warrior's death instead of living on as a coward, sullying the reputation of XCOM by panicking at the slightest provocation.
Guys. I had an actual nightmare about this post last night. In my dream I was playing the game (in the weird dreamy way that it was kind of real and kind of a game) and not only were my guys getting these permanent will hits from getting downed, they were getting will hits every time they got wounded in combat and hospitalized. By the end all my guys' wills were real low or in the negatives. It was a serious anxiety dream and I woke up really upset. =(

Grimsen

So, psy assault soldier, shotgun or rifle?

I've been using rifle+titan armor, because of dat health. But thinking of doing ghost+shotgun.

I could also dot titan+shotgun since I awlays pick lightning reflexes, but ghost armor has the crit bonus, although ghost and automatic overwatch don't really mix.

Mupod

So, psy assault soldier, shotgun or rifle?

I've been using rifle+titan armor, because of dat health. But thinking of doing ghost+shotgun.

I could also dot titan+shotgun since I awlays pick lightning reflexes, but ghost armor has the crit bonus, although ghost and automatic overwatch don't really mix.

Mind fray is a nice supplement for shotguns since it has great range and accuracy (if your Will is up to snuff). I'd probably take MC too.

wow fuck these difficulty spikes, throwing 6 mutons and a beserker at me when I literally just took one turn off the ship? Fucking stupid. How am I supposed to build up any recruits if literally every mission is me being ambushed by enemies that have more armor and better accuracy?

Xcom baby. it is what it is.

Use more skill.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The upgrade says it improves crit%, but does it improve the aim further too? I say this because the combat drugs smoke upgrade says that it only improves will and crit%, but it definitely increases aim as well.

I'd swear it increases the accuracy aswell.

Welcome to XCOM. Now man up.

Bread

Banned
Xcom baby. it is what it is.
Even on normal though? I love the game to death so far, but the cover should be doing more for my defense, and getting shot through walls by overwatched enemies is kind of ridiculous.

you guys are right, i'll probably just start over on classic ironman and find my balls

I'm having a lot of troubles with my PS3 copy of the game as well. Hope this stuff gets fixed.
I had half a mission go ALL fog of war on me and couldn't see anything, last night my screen just went blue and froze up.

... still, love the game. I was starving for some Xcom.

I am so sorry to hear this, After my computer decided to quit on me I couldn't decide which platform to get this on.. I went with the 360 given the PC to PS3 situations in the past. I just figured that with Firaxis history the 360 version would probably be superior. I hope they patch the PS3 version soon for you guys!!!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Even with the day one patch the PC version is quite buggy too.

Top Bottom