• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

McNum

I just beat the mission... lost a captain in the progress. I still have a save from the beginning of the battle in case I want to try it again. But that's a much better result than last time I tried where we all died. Headshot on the cyberdisk was key, thanks. This game is fucking relentless. I immediately get hit with another very difficult terror mission.
Now there's a quote for the box. "This game is fucking relentless." That pretty much sums it up, really. And yeah, even if you reload, there will just be missions where best outcome means at least one death. Losing a Captain is rough, but it happens.

cackhyena

I'm sure this is an old as the hills problem by now, but just having installed this, I'm having trouble. The lag is so bad just at the starting screen, I can't get anywhere. It makes no sense considering I'm running a rig well equipped to handle it. 3570k, 8gb RAM with a GTX 670. Any ideas?

Anyone? I'm at my wits end here.

cackhyena

Nah, AC3, Far Cry 3 and any other game I play is flawless. I don't think it's that. At least I hope not, but you would think the other games would show some sign of it as well, no?

cackhyena

Yep, and a bunch of other things including trying to update my BIOS just in case. Was looking other places for the problem and people had a few ideas I tried...none worked. I am downloading a driver for my graphics card I didn't know was available while I was gone. Hopefully that's the cure.

Yep, and a bunch of other things including trying to update my BIOS just in case. Was looking other places for the problem and people had a few ideas I tried...none worked. I am downloading a driver for my graphics card I didn't know was available while I was gone. Hopefully that's the cure.

I have the same rig as you, and although I can't help, XCOM does seem very unstable on my machine at the moment. I've played for 8 hrs without problems, and then suddenly, it starts crashing as soon as I load up my latest save file. Stupid game.

cackhyena

Well, I hadn't even started the game, so no saves to delete or anything. Just updated to the latest driver and all is well. Hopefully it stays this way. thanks anyways, guys.

Fireblend

Banned
Weird. The only time I get lag (for some reason) is when triggering an enemy's "intimidate" side-effect, which causes them to get nearer to the shooter. While they're moving, the game lags horribly. It's really weird but hardly game-breaking.

Other than that, it works perfectly for me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Weird. The only time I get lag (for some reason) is when triggering an enemy's "intimidate" side-effect, which causes them to get nearer to the shooter. While they're moving, the game lags horribly. It's really weird but hardly game-breaking.

Other than that, it works perfectly for me.

I get the same thing. What's up with that? I always worry the games gonna lock up.

Sullichin

The game itself performs great for me, but sometimes it takes like 5 minutes to launch from Steam. Does this happen for anyone else?

Edit.... I just want to use this space to rage. fuck this game
fuck this game

Classic Ironman has been conquered. 41 missions, 267 days, 24 soldiers KIA, 1 mission lost (Miscounted thinmen and the VIP took an overwatch shot to the face), 2 funding countries down.

Seriously, the arc of the game was just amazing, I cruised through the early section, kicked ass, mutons/zerks/cyberdiscs turned around decimated my forces down to 2 soldiers above coporal, and nearly lost those two, but my sniper made a low probability overwatch shot that literally saved my entire game. Crawled back from there (hence the high casualties, lots of rookies through the blender). Characters were mostly named after the wire, Omar Little made it through nearly the entire game with his beastly shotgun.

Going to catch up with a few games in the backlog, and either try it again with some second wave options or I/I.

Korosenai

After seeing all the praise for this game in the GOTY thread, i'd like to finally try it out. Are there any good deals going on for it right now?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
After seeing all the praise for this game in the GOTY thread, i'd like to finally try it out. Are there any good deals going on for it right now?

20% off at greenmangaming if you use the code: GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I love the new additions in the latest DLC/Updates

Anything to add to the randomness is great

Game is really great, but I encountered my first humungous loss. Some shit was going down in France, and this was my first "Very Difficult" mission. I had completed a "Difficult" mission but managed to do well: two of my guys were in danger of death, and the mission ended with about 4 of my guys being wounded.

All but one cleared for redeployment for the next mission. And man, in this mission, we were introduced to the flying robot enemies from the demo. And the zombies. It was the first mass civilian saving mission, and I lost my whole team lol.

RIP Scarlett Johanson, Max Power, rookie King, Kojima, and most important, Sargent Sexton (Lopez from the tutorial/demo soldier-- 7 missions survived, would have retired him after 10). Sargent Sexton was last to go, I was envisioning a heroic destruction of all 3 remaining enemies, but the zombie evolved into some other creature, and I only had 3 bars of health :(

What a brutal game. And I was considered amping up the difficulty. I am playing on Ironman Normal, but thought of upping the difficulty to Ironman Classic.

I was surprised to see how powerful the zombies were. I was really annoyed at one point: we were down to 3 of our guys, two of them on a roof, both at 3 bars of health, fending off a zombie and two flying robots. I had one guy on ground floor manage to pick off the zombie on top, which was much needed because I would have lost one of the guys on the roof. But from there, I tried to position the guy on the bottom to cover a line of sight: if the enemies got outside, they would have climbed the roof. I positioned myself only to have the enemy rush RIGHT beside my guy on the bottom… So it's my turn, I have an easy insta-kill. Unfortunately, I decide to use my pistol, expecting to knock off the last 2 bars of health the enemy had. I did not. And that mistake cost me the player.

Then, with the sniper I had on the roof, I did not know that the weapon wouldn't change back after switching to my pistol (which I did previous turn). So I fired off measly shots, and the enemy lived to fight another turn. Both big mistakes.

A third mistake: I was unaware of a room containing 3 enemies, and could only see one of them (who was near the exit), so I aimed a grenade right at it, killed it, but may have gotten a multi-kill if I had aimed a little closer to the other two.

I return from the mission, having lost France from the council. I am back with a team of rookies. Only the wounded and healing Kevin "Scotch" Cuddles left from my previous squad. He must now fill the illustrious shoes of Sargent Sexton. I am enjoying this a lot more than Valkyria Chronicles

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, I almost regret I did my first playthrough on easy and without ironman mode on. Currently going through Ironman Normal and this is such the way to play this game; I get so caught up in each mission and the tension is such that I keep playing 2 missions and alt-tabbing out of the game for a while to get the courage to go on another one.

Damn, I almost regret I did my first playthrough on easy and without ironman mode on. Currently going through Ironman Normal and this is such the way to play this game; I get so caught up in each mission and the tension is such that I keep playing 2 missions and alt-tabbing out of the game for a while to get the courage to go on another one.

Exactly the reason why I am doing Ironman. But I am playing on Normal: I feel like I should have picked Classic, but I've gotten entire squad wipeouts around 5 times now.

I just realized what happens if the doom tracker reaches 100%... I have two more countries left before I lose, and two of them are at max. I dont think I can launch a satellite quick enough to keep them calm...

Didn't even know I could get a game over like that: If I do, do I really have to start the story ALL over again, and do all the missions/tutorial again?

(I am enjoying the pain, but cursing stupid mistakes I am making, like forgetting to switch back to primary and forgetting I cant use my sniper after I move)

McNum

Exactly the reason why I am doing Ironman. But I am playing on Normal: I feel like I should have picked Classic, but I've gotten entire squad wipeouts around 5 times now.

I just realized what happens if the doom tracker reaches 100%... I have two more countries left before I lose, and two of them are at max. I dont think I can launch a satellite quick enough to keep them calm...

Didn't even know I could get a game over like that: If I do, do I really have to start the story ALL over again, and do all the missions/tutorial again?

(I am enjoying the pain, but cursing stupid mistakes I am making, like forgetting to switch back to primary and forgetting I cant use my sniper after I move)
Yes, Game Over means start over in Ironman. There are no continues.

FloatOn

Good grief, things really ramp up after the alien base. I'm on my first crashed UFO mission after that and I'm just getting wrecked. The map is really small, I've got 3 mutons to the left, 6 thin men to the right, a cyber disc and two drones pop out of the wreckage after a couple of turns and I've got two sectoid commanders inside the UFO.

The worst part is all of my leveled up squad is out of service because of the damage they took on the alien base mission. I'm thinking of abandoning the mission but I'm afraid of the panic levels... Brazil is already out of the council.

This game man, this game.

Fireblend

Banned
I made such a stupid, stupid mistake and got an agent killed yesterday on a terror mission.

Got my first batch of Chryssalids, I start to get near the first one so I can flank it with my Assault, the rest of the team has > 50% chance of hitting it, so I attack with pistols intending to weaken it (which they successfully do) and set a couple to overwatch. The Chryssalid obviously realizes I have the upper hand here and wastes its turn attacking some civilian. So I keep weakening it with pistols intending to kill it this turn. My flanking assault gets in a great position, and moves to kill with a double shot just to make sure, each shot with around 70% chance of hitting... and it uses its pistol instead of the shotgun. Hits it twice, but it's not enough. God. fucking. dammit. She was dead a turn later. Because I didn't switch her weapon. Gahhh.

My first loss in this playthrough too. So frustrating. I don't deserve the XCOM commander position.

R.I.P. Astrid Farnsworth.

Grimsen

Beat a Classic/Ironman game with some second wave options turned on.

Red Fog was a pain in the ass. They really need to differenciate armor points from HP. Taking a few points of damage in Titan armor and getting shit accuracy is stupid. Not going to use it again unless they modify it.

Damage roulette is basically more chances to do 1-2 damage with plasma weapons. The few times your sniper will hit for 25 on a sectopod are so rare that the only real purpose of this option is to make the game harder. Nothing more fucked than having an Assault hit for 1 damage twice with an alloy cannon at point blank range.

Random stats/ stat increase / funding / rewards are all awesome.

The Greater Good (need live alien for psi research) is trivial. More Than Human (rare psionics) is really that, though. Only had one psionic after testing 30+ troops.

As far as bugs go, didn't come into the old ones like enemies popping up, or getting the bad ending after beating the game, but I did come up with two bugs I had never seen before.

The first was hilarious. On the overseer ship, I had a colonel get downed just before entering the ship, with no medic to stabilize him. I pretty much had to end this in 3 turns.
I rushed inside the ship on the first turn, breached the ship's bridge with a grenade and sent guys in cloaked on the second. There was an Ethereal and 1 or 2 elite Muton. On turn 3 though, they had vanished. I moved some of my guys a bit to make sure they weren't hiding behind objects, but nope. Gone. Put my guys on overwatch, then the game hung for about 10 seconds before the alien turn, and all aliens died, seemingly from falling off the map. :D

The second bug I encountered was more frequent. It must have happened 3 or 4 times during my entire game. Some aliens I encountered on their turn for the first time attacked right away instead of doing the spotted+scatter animation. I don't know if it's a side effect of their ''fix'', but it's definitely a fucked up issue. It happened mostly with Cyberdisks, but I also had it occur with Mutons.
Having the enemies attack on their turn when they spot you would be a great second wave option, but as an intermittent bug, it's fucking annoying.

ShaneB

After you beat the game can you do map scenarios? No spoilers please

You'll want to start a new game right away on the next difficultly :p

Finished my first game on easy, almost done normal, and will try and tackle Classic again right when I'm done this normal run.

mrplaid

Has there been any news about a map editor for Xcom? Official or otherwise? I've been playing The Sims 3 obsessively because I love building houses. I feel like a map editor for a game I really like would scratch a similar itch and I could actually enjoy the fruits of my labor inside of a game I really like.

Oppo

It bugs me so much when that Triad guy first appears, one-shots an alien, then just throws the pistol on the ground and says "welp, save me guys". Like, why can't he fucking help out on that first mission? He's a regular troop afterwards.

Grimsen

It bugs me so much when that Triad guy first appears, one-shots an alien, then just throws the pistol on the ground and says "welp, save me guys". Like, why can't he fucking help out on that first mission? He's a regular troop afterwards.

He's a bastard. He won't even conform and wear what I want him to. I swear he's using those godawful default armors just to piss me off.

Finished Impossible- non Ironman. It wasn't very impressive or difficult since I was save scrubing, but hopefully the added experience will help in in my next I/I attempt, which going to be insanely hard if the incredible amount of bugs I've encountered in Impossible games continues...

HQY7RU1.jpg

Finished Impossible- non Ironman. It wasn't very impressive or difficult since I was save scrubing, but hopefully the added experience will help in in my next I/I attempt, which going to be insanely hard if the incredible amount of bugs I've encountered in Impossible games continues...

http://i.imgur.com/HQY7RU1.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, well I beat 3 very hard difficulty missions in a row on normal without taking damage so there.

Cystm

I am on the last
Ethereal
mission, on Impossible. I've cleared everything up until the final fight, and one of the damn
Ethereals
did not spawn properly, and the game will not move past his turn.

Seems Beaglerush is waiting for some bugfixes to continue his Impossible LP, too. Shame these issues are still around.

Understandable, the bugs are very frustrating on I/I.

For myself the first 2 missions of I/I attempt #5 went smooth. First one was on the gas station map. I hid 2 soldiers behind the van and skirted 2 others around the edge until they got to the roof, luckily no packs aggro'd. Used the ledge peek tactic and found one pack, and with 1 grenade and some bad mind merger positioning got 2, the other one died next turn. As I was re-grouping on the roof the tele-port bug hit, 3 sectoids right in the middle of my ground troops. I was again fortunate with my positioning and was able to shield both from 1 with a big truck and use 2 grenades to ensure the close ones died. With everyone now on the roof I kept using the ledge peek to find the last pack, only 2 sectoids this time, and it was easy enough to flank and kill the merger. 3 promotions- sniper, support, assault.

The first abduction came only a day later, and was another map where I could take advantage of the roof tops- the bakery/butcher shop map. A couple of very tense moments this mission, the first was against the first encounter. There's really no way to get perfect positioning here- the sectoids start right inside the bakery. After overwatching behind the van for 1 turn, I peeked around the corners and found 1 on the corner of the van and 1 on the opposite side- being mind merged from 1 behind the counter. The flanking bug struck this time and I wasted 1 turn from my assault moving him to the corner only still see the 40 cover bonus still there. I spent a while thinking what to do, before settling on this- I run'n'guned my assault to behind the 1 sectoid and used the shotgun on him, lucky it was a 1 shot 1 kill, then I used my peeking sniper and was just able to barely get a grenade on the mind merger, taking 3 health and it's cover, unfortunately I had to run past the other sectoid to get line of sight on him, and I figured he was on overwatch, and I was right. I sent out the rookie and very luckily the sectoid completely missed the easy shot, unfortunately so did the rookie, so I had to use the super-soldier support and pray I didn't miss a 90% shot with 2 soldier lives on the line- he hit. Whew. I moved on to the roof, and when I got to the back 2 packs aggro'd- 6 total aliens. I moved everyone out of sight and overwatched. 1 sectoid ran to the roof and 2 close overwatches missed and the shotgun hit for 2 damage. I was again in position where I should have had a flanked shot but didn't, so I peeked over the ledge to see where everyone went. One was far away mind merging the sectoid on the roof, 1 was behind a truck mind merging a guy near the bottom of the ladder I couldn't see. I spent about 20 minutes thinking what to do, I really wanted to take all 4 of these guys out before they could get on the roof. Eventually I moved the assault to the edge and lobed a grenade on the far sectoid, destroying his cover, that gave my support a 100% shot and I got those two. I moved the rookie to flank the last merger and he hit the 85% shot but for only 2 damage. My last hope was the sniper and he missed. 2 of the remaining 4 sectoids shot on the sniper, 1 hit for 3 damage, the other missed- lucky. Then my rookie finished of the same mind merger behind the truck. That left 2 and I was able to locate a meger inside the bakery, my support dropped down and used a grenade, and the rookie once again was in the right spot and got a point blank pistol shot. 3 groups down- 1 to go. I moved to the roof of the butchery and pinned down the last group on the side. A couple of turns of missing/hitting high percentage flanked shots and finally the last sectoid ran into my overwatch sniper. 3 more promotions- corp sniper, corp support, and a heavy.

I started research on alien materials, for carapace armour, built 2 sats and a workshop. But now I've run into shitty luck with mission timing. From getting an abduction on day 30, it's now day 20 without another, and I don't have the money for an uplink. I just got a downed UFO mission, which I still don't think will get me enough money to build one. So if I don't get an abduction in the next 5 days I won't have time and I'm going to lose at least 3 countries the first month, and probably 4.

BTW I'm using 3 of the second wave options- New economy, not created equality, and hidden potential. The support is the only good soldier I got out of the starting 4, 70 aim and 50 will as a rookie. The rest are terrible, especially the sniper, as a corporal now he has an aim of 64- 1 below the rookie base. The assault and heavy both have an aim of 58 as squaddies. The rest of the platoon of rookies isn't bad though, about half have aim of 70 and will between 50-55. No super soldiers though, people with aim of 80 as rookies.

Top Bottom