• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

DBT85

Ok, coming up for the end of month 4.

15 sats in orbit, light plasma rifles on key Support and Assault team members, lasers on the rest, Titan Armor 2 days from research complete. Met my first Cyberdisk who went down without getting a shot. Foundry built.

Need to get a load of weapon fragments to do the remaining research on Plasma weapons and stuff.

First bomb mission today too, no problems at all with my support with long legs and my assault using run and gun.

I'm really enjoying myself, at this stage I'll certainly be playing again on at least Classic.

Though I think I left it too late to start capturing aliens, I have no sectoids :(

Sullichin

@*!&# this game. One move away from getting a VIP extracted. Except he's poisoned and he dies

The mission says it will reduce panic, is that for every country? I suddenly have like 3 countries on the brink of leaving

Lumine

So I'm about to start this game today. What difficulty would you guys recommend to start on? Anything else I should know? Any tips before I go in blind? Thanks! :)

McNum

So I'm about to start this game today. What difficulty would you guys recommend to start on? Anything else I should know? Any tips before I go in blind? Thanks! :)
How familiar are you with turn based strategy games?

If you're awesome at it, go for Classic, if not, go for Normal. You can go for Easy if you want, but XCOM is better when it fights back. Don't pick Ironman the first time through. You'll want to save. Do go into Options and turn on Autosave, though.

As for XCOM specific tips... Do the tutorial the first time through. And satellites are nice, always have at least one under construction as long as you have countries to launch one over. But hold back launching until very late in the month in case a country is at level 5 panic and you need a satellite to lower that. To build satellites, you need Engineers, though, so you may want to pick those as your first mission reward.

Anything else you should know... Hmm... The tutorial will tell you the most important things, really. It just doesn't emphasize enough how important satellites are. There are some very specific hints, but you say you're going in blind, so I'll keep quiet about those until you ask. Except one: Pick the Squad Sight perk with your snipers. Snap Shot is nice, but Squad Sight is better. And grenades never miss.

Lumine

Hey thanks.

I guess I got a little experience with turn-based strategy and I like a challenge, but I think I'm leaning on starting on normal and no ironman mode.
I'm guessing turning auto-save on means I won't be able to go back to older saves so I still have to deal with the consequences of any mistakes I might make? If so, isn't that pretty much ironman mode?

Anyway, thanks again. :)

DBT85

Play the tutorial see how to play and then restart with the tutorial off.
On early missions where you can choose the reward, choose the Engineers, you NEED them to make satellites.
Some buildings have a bonus when built adjacent to one another, these are things like the satellite uplink, power plant etc. Build in squares of 2x2 for maximum bonus.

Make use of the enemy desire for your doom, sometimes you cna lure thme into a killzone where you'll have a bunch of guys on Overwatch ready to shoot.

Watch Beagles videos on Youtube of him playing Impossible Ironman. Funny and informative.

I played a few games just trying things out and understanding the mechanics a bit before starting on a "proper" game, but even then only on Normal.

McNum

Hey thanks.

I guess I got a little experience with turn-based strategy and I like a challenge, but I think I'm leaning on starting on normal and no ironman mode.
I'm guessing turning auto-save on means I won't be able to go back to older saves so I still have to deal with the consequences of any mistakes I might make? If so, isn't that pretty much ironman mode?

Anyway, thanks again. :)
No, autosave makes the game save every turn, and it keeps the four last saves. You can still sve manually, of course. Ironman is autsoave only and it keeps only the most recent one.

Autsoave also is good to have on in case of bugs. The game is improved quite a bit bugwise from launch, but you know, save often, be prepared. Had a soldier fall off the world in one mission, so you know, autosave is nice.

Lumine

Thanks for the answers guys!

Started about an hour ago. I like it so far! Quick question: when they tell me to "capture" the thin man alien at the start of the second (third?) mission, they mean just kill him right? I don't really see any other options to capture him with.

Grimsen

Thanks for the answers guys!

Started about an hour ago. I like it so far! Quick question: when they tell me to "capture" the thin man alien at the start of the second (third?) mission, they mean just kill him right? I don't really see any other options to capture him with.

You need to whip your scientists some more. They'll come up with a way for you to catch the buggers alive.

McNum

If you're doing the tutorial you'll end up with an Alien Containment facility and an item called an Arc Thrower. Until you have both, just bop anyone who tells you to capture anything on the nose.

Fireblend

Banned
Stupid question: How come I see plenty of screenshots with soldiers with helmets on, and I have yet to figure out how to get helmets for my operatives? Do they come with a specific armor or something?

Also, I see people have soldiers with different-colored armor?

McNum

Stupid question: How come I see plenty of screenshots with soldiers with helmets on, and I have yet to figure out how to get helmets for my operatives? Do they come with a specific armor or something?

DLC.

The Elite Soldier Pack, to be exact. It came with pre-orders or the boxed PC edition of the game, but is now available to buy separately. It's nice to have, but not essential.

Zertez

Extra armor options was a preorder bonus, but I think you can buy it in a dlc pack. The new game content dlc also has new armor options as well. If you didnt preorder or buy any dlc, custom armor options are limited.

Fireblend

Banned
DLC.

The Elite Soldier Pack, to be exact. It came with pre-orders or the boxed PC edition of the game, but is now available to buy separately. It's nice to have, but not essential.

Ah, I see. Thanks, that explains a lot. I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale, I do like how they look.

Rufus

You can customize them. The button below "loadout". Dunno if and what you can do with the vanilla version of the game, I have the pre-order bonus stuff.
The Slingshot DLC also includes some additional customization options.

There are mods as well:
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/50
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/49

edit: Too slow. But I've got links and stuff...!

DBT85

Ok, my guys all have Plasma weapons now, some have Titan Armour, 16 sats up. Should probably think about doing that
base assault

Just started playing this a few days ago, it took me by surprise how addicting and intricate it is.

Also I would like some advice: I have Mexico at panic level 4 and US at 3, when should be worried about them leaving the union? Do they leave as soon as they get to level 5?

Thanks, excuse me for my noobishness.

Just started playing this a few days ago, it took me by surprise how addicting and intricate it is.

Also I would like some advice: I have Mexico at panic level 4 and US at 3, when should be worried about them leaving the union? Do they leave as soon as they get to level 5?

Thanks, excuse me for my noobishness.

A country will leave immediately if you fail a terror mission (a special mission, not a regular abduction) in their country, or if they are at panic level 5 when the council report comes at the end of the month, the exception being if they just recently reached level 5 before the report they might stay.

A country will leave immediately if you fail a terror mission (a special mission, not a regular abduction) in their country, or if they are at panic level 5 when the council report comes at the end of the month, the exception being if they just recently reached level 5 before the report they might stay.

Ok. Will they rejoin if I raise the profile of XCOM in their country, with satellites and doing alien abduction missions?

Ironman Impossible #4 over. 61 days survived; 7 battles fought, 3 won, 4 lost; 40 aliens slayed, 14 soldiers not going home. Slightly better then my previous attempt.

Sullichin

Woah, so turning on auto save will save every turn? I feel like I'm cheating when I save a couple of times in a battle when things are going the way I want.

This game is amazing. I don't know if I'll be able to beat it on this playthrough, and I'm only playing on normal mode, but I really like it.

Woah, so turning on auto save will save every turn? I feel like I'm cheating when I save a couple of times in a battle when things are going the way I want.

This game is amazing. I don't know if I'll be able to beat it on this playthrough, and I'm only playing on normal mode, but I really like it.

I'm playing on normal as well as its my first time, but I simply can't wait to get to know the game better as I know Ironman underpins the core XCOM experience. Using previous saves to manipulate to me is unethical, but at the moment it's necessary because I'm a noob.

I hope when I feel confident enough< i can play with Ironman on, and experience XCOM's true nature.

Sullichin

I'm playing on normal as well as its my first time, but I simply can't wait to get to know the game better as I know Ironman underpins the core XCOM experience. Using previous saves to manipulate to me is unethical, but at the moment it's necessary because I'm a noob.

I hope when I feel confident enough< i can play with Ironman on, and experience XCOM's true nature.

I agree, like I said I'll only save 2-3 of times during a mission at most but it still feels cheap. Still, I'm so bad at the game that sometimes I'll save after a mission even if 1 or 2 squad members die, because just beating it is challenging enough for me for now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I agree, like I said I'll only save 2-3 of times during a mission at most but it still feels cheap. Still, I'm so bad at the game that sometimes I'll save after a mission even if 1 or 2 squad members die, because just beating it is challenging enough for me for now.

I definitely recommend going through save-scrumming for a little while until you feel you get the game. It will help make sure that when you do play ironman, (which you should once you've got a solid grasp,) that you don't feel cheated or robbed when something unexpected happens, because you've probably experienced at least once before. And if you haven't, well thats sort of the fun of ironman.

DBT85

I definitely recommend going through save-scrumming for a little while until you feel you get the game. It will help make sure that when you do play ironman, (which you should once you've got a solid grasp,) that you don't feel cheated or robbed when something unexpected happens, because you've probably experienced at least once before. And if you haven't, well thats sort of the fun of ironman.

This what my plan was for my first full run through. Since everything was going to be for the first time and I have no idea how some of it will happen or work and whatever. They could have included a special trophy for anyone that completed say Classic Ironman on their first game.

I got to halfway through the
base assault
last night before I had to go to bed, it was 3am lol. Big map.

Lumine

About 4 hours in now, on normal with auto-save on. Game seems actually quite easy so far, barely lost more than 1 or 2 soldiers and I haven't reloaded a save yet. I'm wondering if I maybe should've just jumped into classic and ironman straight away, but I'm guessing the difficulty will ramp up soon enough. Also missions seem really short so far. I barely kill a handful of aliens and that's already the end of it. Anyway, still enjoying this game a lot. :)

Another question: I captured the energy alien guy that lets me build a key and assault the alien base. Yet I can still keep scanning for additional missions and such. When would be a good idea to do the assault base mission? Right away, or should I wait a bit?

Miletius

About 4 hours in now, on normal with auto-save on. Game seems actually quite easy so far, barely lost more than 1 or 2 soldiers and I haven't reloaded a save yet. I'm wondering if I maybe should've just jumped into classic and ironman straight away, but I'm guessing the difficulty will ramp up soon enough. Also missions seem really short so far. I barely kill a handful of aliens and that's already the end of it. Anyway, still enjoying this game a lot. :)

Another question: I captured the energy alien guy that lets me build a key and assault the alien base. Yet I can still keep scanning for additional missions and such. When would be a good idea to do the assault base mission? Right away, or should I wait a bit?

The base populates mostly with whatever enemies you've discovered at the time so you can really go anytime you feel prepared. Generally people recommend either going:

a) as early as you can, right as you get 6 non-rookies to take
b) when you get laser and either carapace/skeleton suit for most everybody.
c) later on, when you've got great equipment

On harder difficulties, it becomes more of a challenge to manage panic, which limits your ability to go later.

Fireblend

Banned
Well Steam says I've been playing for well over 13 hours and I just built my Hyperwave Relay. Am I far from finishing this playthrough? I'm kind of regretting playing it on easy; I've only barely lost around 3 guys so far and I've already equipped most of my team with Plasma weapons/pistols and Titan/Ghost armor, plus I've got plenty of fully leveled Psy users and I'm missing only one country to satellite-ize. (
I just met my first batch of Elite Mutons and they couldn't scratch my team, mind-controlled one, killed the others, used the remaining turns for scouting ahead and then made it commit suicide with an alien granade, :lol
).

McNum

Well Steam says I've been playing for well over 13 hours and I just built my Hyperwave Relay. Am I far from finishing this playthrough? I'm kind of regretting playing it on easy; I've only barely lost around 3 guys so far and I've already equipped most of my team with Plasma weapons/pistols and Titan/Ghost armor, plus I've got plenty of fully leveled Psy users and I'm missing only one country to satellite-ize. (
I just met my first batch of Elite Mutons and they couldn't scratch my team, mind-controlled one, killed the others, used the remaining turns for scouting ahead and then made it commit suicide with an alien granade, :lol
).
You have
two story missions
to go until the end. If you're just enocountering Elite Mutons, you're doing well for time, but it makes me wonder if you have built any
Firestorms
yet. You'll need one for the next mission, preferably armed with Plasma or EMP cannons.

Also, do not get overconfident. The game has yet to reveal its meanest enemies. The
Sectopod
and the
Ethereal
. These have the special ability of punishing hubris. Be careful.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I got to halfway through the
base assault
last night before I had to go to bed, it was 3am lol. Big map.

God damn yeah it is. The first time I went through it, I had already encountered and killed about 5 Chrysallids and then I went on really deep and found another room with about 5 Mutons and a Berserker. I figured this was the end and I just went balls out to kill the last few dudes in the room, not even being in cover or anything.

The Last guy to kill was near the back of the room, so I run to him, and trigger about 5 more dudes and realized I was only like half way through the level, 2 guys incapacitated, and one guy dead. Needless to say I reloaded a really old save.

Lumine

The base populates mostly with whatever enemies you've discovered at the time so you can really go anytime you feel prepared. Generally people recommend either going:

a) as early as you can, right as you get 6 non-rookies to take
b) when you get laser and either carapace/skeleton suit for most everybody.
c) later on, when you've got great equipment

On harder difficulties, it becomes more of a challenge to manage panic, which limits your ability to go later.

Thanks! I decided to wait when I saw your first point as I didn't even have that upgrade yet.

I have to say I'm defenitly starting to like the game more and more. :)

ShaneB

After playing Classic for a while, I started a game last night on normal with some of the Second Wave options to check it out, definitely a nice added bonus to have those options... but, dang, even normal feels like I'm cheating now after experiencing Classic. I'm sure it's a placebo effect, but 50% to hit on normal sure seems to hit a lot more than 50% to hit on Classic :p

Of course though, I had a soldier die when I got too cocky. lol

Mazre

Thin men have become the bane of my existence on classic. High accuracy, crazy mobility, love to flank and fire in a single turn, if you do pin them down they just start spitting poison.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Once I have done the research for the improved versions of items/weapons where do I equip them?
I have the improved med kit, arc thrower and both pistol improvements but do not see them when I'm trying to adjust the loadouts on my soldiers.

Does the description just not change at all?

If so that would be really odd. For instance the graphic on the improved pistol II shows a scope on the gun, so I would assume that the weapon would look like that when I try to equip it.

Please help.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Once I have done the research for the improved versions of items/weapons where do I equip them?
I have the improved med kit, arc thrower and both pistol improvements but do not see them when I'm trying to adjust the loadouts on my soldiers.

Does the description just not change at all?

If so that would be really odd. For instance the graphic on the improved pistol II shows a scope on the gun, so I would assume that the weapon would look like that when I try to equip it.

Please help.

They're just automatically applied. No visual difference in the models of them.

Lumine

Hah, remember how cocky I sounded the other day? Well soon after, it might've actually been the very next mission, it all went wrong. One of my soldiers got caught in a car explosion, which caused one of my other soldiers to panick who then shot and killed another of my soldiers before getting shot and killed himself. So I lost half my team in less than a turn. Now I don't have enough soldiers to send a full team on the next mission because I forgot to hire some on time and most of them are wounded and stuck in the infirmary. Also my facilities are screwed up since I can't connect the same buildings to each other without building an elevator first, but to do so I have to build a power generator first in the wrong spot. And of course I'm also out of funds/money.

So I'm wondering if I should just start over or accept my losses and push on. My last save is unfortunately quite a while back. And auto-save seems broken.

Oh well, at least I learned not send a soldier few steps forward to scout ahead when the rest of my team is out of movement/turns. Those Chryssalids will fuck me up then. :(

McNum

Oh well, at least I learned not send a soldier few steps forward to scout ahead when the rest of my team is out of movement/turns. Those Chryssalids will fuck me up then. :(
Congratulations! You've learned perhaps the most important rule of the XCOM tactical battles: Do NOT reveal new territory with your final soldier. And you even managed to get Chryssalids to teach it to you. Classic XCOM right there.

Okay that may sound mean, but it really is one of those things you have to learn like that. Being told not to do it isn't enough. As a consolation prize, let me tell you the less obvious whys.

You have noticed that when you run into a group of aliens, they get a free move, yes? This is terrible with Chryssalids as they'll use it to close distance rather than run into cover. Have you noticed, though, that aliens DON'T get a free move if they spot you on their turn? They have to spend their own turn running around like that. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, unless you can kill the aliens without activating them, you're actually better off being spotted on their turn rather than your own.

Ok, coming up for the end of month 4.

15 sats in orbit, light plasma rifles on key Support and Assault team members, lasers on the rest, Titan Armor 2 days from research complete. Met my first Cyberdisk who went down without getting a shot. Foundry built.

Need to get a load of weapon fragments to do the remaining research on Plasma weapons and stuff.

First bomb mission today too, no problems at all with my support with long legs and my assault using run and gun.

I'm really enjoying myself, at this stage I'll certainly be playing again on at least Classic.

Though I think I left it too late to start capturing aliens, I have no sectoids :(

How do you get so many Sats in such a short time? I am on the start of the second month and still have 2 in orbit. My first order of 2 sats is set to come in at the end of the second month, after building a workshop and an uplink.

Lumine

Congratulations! You've learned perhaps the most important rule of the XCOM tactical battles: Do NOT reveal new territory with your final soldier. And you even managed to get Chryssalids to teach it to you. Classic XCOM right there.

Okay that may sound mean, but it really is one of those things you have to learn like that. Being told not to do it isn't enough. As a consolation prize, let me tell you the less obvious whys.

You have noticed that when you run into a group of aliens, they get a free move, yes? This is terrible with Chryssalids as they'll use it to close distance rather than run into cover. Have you noticed, though, that aliens DON'T get a free move if they spot you on their turn? They have to spend their own turn running around like that. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, unless you can kill the aliens without activating them, you're actually better off being spotted on their turn rather than your own.

Haha thanks! Yeah I noticed them cheating bastards, but it was never a problem until those Chryssalids came charging at me. Though honestly I have yet to encounter an alien who sees me first. Perhaps I should slow down when moving forward. :p

Top Bottom