• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

McNum

right.

but no patch notes. even o the official site. sounds liek they dont know what theyre doing.

Took a little to find it again, but it's on the 2K forums:

XCOM Commanders,

Thank you for your patience and dedication in helping the Enemy Unknown development team identify and fix the reported AI Teleport bug. We have released the Community QA build live, so all PC users will now benefit from your communal effort.

Unfortunately, a non-game breaking alien reveal bug has been exposed, as reported by the community. In the interest of erasing the AI teleport issue as quickly as possible, we are moving forward with pushing this build live. We would like to focus on this new “soft reveal” issue in a future patch, to be communicated at a later date. Thank you so much for your help, and we hope you continue those Iron Man runs now!

So, it's a quick patch that should have fixed the teleport bug. If not, there'll be another patch coming soon-ish. They could have spread the word on that a bit better.

The Stig

its been a long time since the last official patch. I remember hearing firaxis were trying to force a proper patch through..........

ages ago

Dunkelgrau

Finally I survived the game. Killed the final alien with only two shots from my best sniper.
Game is very good (7/10) but has some really frustrating issues, as I mentioned above. And IMHO they are more of this problems. But overall a nice experience.

Heading over to Monster Hunter Ultimate now.

Still I got one XCom to trade via Steam!

Man this game is just infuriating at times. I felt like I had a great I/I run going, then I run into some kind of glitch where enemies were already activated. They just started firing at me on the second turn when I didn't even spot them. There's also other times where you I get a flanking bug where it doesn't register so it still thinks they are still in full cover. Which really sucks.

Hanzou

Is it not possible to transfer a satellite a new country once it is placed? Do I have to build a new one and then put it over the country? Right now I have 2 of my 2 max satellites deployed and would like to move one but it says I can't.

Sblargh

Banned
Is it not possible to transfer a satellite a new country once it is placed? Do I have to build a new one and then put it over the country? Right now I have 2 of my 2 max satellites deployed and would like to move one but it says I can't.

I believe not. Satellites are supposed to be this costly investiment, both in money as well time.

Zertez

Fuuuck that dlc tease during the PAX panel was too short and showed nothing. They really need to unveil it soon. :(
Lack of dlc news lead me to believe they are working on a full game instead. Firaxis is known for releasing a constant stream of dlc for the Civ franchise but for some reason very little for a game that has sold well. There has to be reason for it and seeing how few companies leave money on the table, their resources are probably working on something else Xcom related.

DEO3

Any other new players that picked up XCOM from Bioshock?

Yo.

I've already put twice as many hours into XCOM as I have into Bioshock since beating it, not bad for a free pre-order bonus!

Finished my first run on normal and I refused to save scum the whole way through, if I fucked up I made it a point to have to live with the consequences. My classic ironman game is now off to a great start, I'm almost done with April with a number of aliens captured, no soldiers lost, satellites are coming online, etc. I love how tight the game play is, a single slip up and you're fucked. The game keeps me on my edge of my seat and I find I often have to take breaks just due to how intense some missions can get.

Sblargh

Banned
Tsc. I can't go back to Iron Man mode until a patch fixes bugs. Just went back into the game to find out I have -365 credits instead of +365 credits I had.

How does a bug like that even happen?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Tsc. I can't go back to Iron Man mode until a patch fixes bugs. Just went back into the game to find out I have -365 credits instead of +365 credits I had.

How does a bug like that even happen?

If you're really itching to play, you could probably use cheat engine to fix that. If not, then yeah just wait for a patch.

yeildrikk

Neo Member
I'm not entirely sure to what extent begging is looked down on around here, but with a whole stack of people pre-ordering bioshock and getting this game with it, is there anyone with a gift copy lying around?

I've seen my flatmate playing it and it looks pretty brutal. I'd buy it myself, but I have a grand total of four dollars to my name at the moment.

nacimento

Finished, amazing game! Firaxis really is a glorious TBS studio.

Although the final mission was buggy as hell for me. In the end, Chief Ethereal got killed by his own Elite Muton Grunt...

Sblargh

Banned
If you're really itching to play, you could probably use cheat engine to fix that. If not, then yeah just wait for a patch.

Thanks for the tip. I'll start a new Ironman run today, that one, urgh, just broke me to have the flow of the game broken like that. If it happens again, maybe I'll surrender to the cheat engine.

Oppo

Holy mother of god, this game will be ported (probably with some gfx downgrade) to iOS...

Probably a few, but I bet it will be close. Really really close.

a) it's Unreal
b) XCOM is no paragon of visual acuity really

I will totally be double dipping. Even with less maps.

McNum

The fun of it is that it's in the XCOM: EU listing, but has been spotted pointing to a file called XComEW.exe. Enemy Unknown launches off XComGame.exe.

I smell an expansion pack, Civilization style.

New Commander reporting for duty.

I feel horrible, started my first game on classic ironman with random damage and random stats for rookies. I started out ok but then started losing 1-3 soldiers per mission before going on a 3 mission losing streak, and finishing with a crazy mission that completely turned the tables and my soldiers came back to life... but not for the better. It feels horrible to see your soldiers die out there under your command. It says a lot for the quality of this game (or my own ability to get absorbed in a game).

Now to start again and keep those soldiers alive. Any tips for a beginner? I try to flank but just getting in range of the enemy generally ends up with one or two of my soldiers being one-shotted :( I guess that's the result of the random damage but I can't bring myself to turn that off, I feel it makes the game more engaging.

McNum

Tips for a beginner? Yeah.

1. Don't play you first game on Classic Ironman. That's meant for when you know the game as the aliens will absolutely own you if you make the slightest error. Normal is difficult enough while learning the game.

2. You know what's awesome? Satellites! You know what's even more awesome? MORE satellites! They give you money, knocks panic down by 2 when launched and prevent abductions.

3. Don't dash unless you have a good reason to. Go slow, from cover to cover. I could say more about why this is great, but you should learn the combat system a bit more first.

4. Get the Squad Size upgrades as soon as you can. In Classic you have to build the Officer Training School, on Normal you have the OTS from the start.

5. Your snipers will want Squad Sight. Smoke Grenades are nice, but you might want to get the Support abilty that lets you use a Medikit three times. HEAT Ammo for heavies may seem useless at first, but you will want it for later, and don't underestimate the value of a good rocket at the right time. You pretty much can't mess up an assault soldier, but Lighting Reflexes and Rapid Fire are pretty awesome abilities.

6. Don't dash! You'll get killed that way! Even if you have to go far, do a double move. The only exception is an assault with Run and Gun, and even that can be activated after doing the first move. The only bonus dashing gives is a slight defense bonus to reaction shots, but you an assault with Lighting Reflexes to soak one of those if you have to.

7. Satellites should be launched one day before the Council Report. That way you can keep them in reserve in case you need to knock a 5 panic country down to 3 so they don't leave XCOM.

8. You can lose up to seven countries and still win. Losing 2-3 is perfectly normal. Getting through with all of them is just for bragging rights.

9. Don't pet the Chryssalids.

I hope that helps a bit. If not, feel free to ask some more. I tried to keep it spoiler-light.

Thank you for the tips. All very useful advice, except I can't bring myself to play on normal I love a good challenge and find I learn quicker and maintain higher interest levels.

Edit: ok after the complete anihilation that I just experienced I will have a go of ironman normal... challenging but fair here we come.

I made it through a couple missions with no injuries, and some without even giving the aliens a chance to shoot. Then one Thin Man on a gas station roof injured two of my Supports, and the game sees fit to turn all my rookies into Heavies.

Chris R

So I got this with my Bioshock purchase and it is a ton of fun. Am I crazy for only playing it in Ironman mode though? The permancy is actually something that is teaching me quite a bit (CARS == BAD, stop exploding and killing my dooods!!!)

Fireblend

Banned
Wow, I haven't played this in ages. My classic campaign (which was going relatively well) must be gathering some serious dust. After playing through Fire Emblem I might have to come back to this though. So, were the game-breaking bugs ever fixed? Has there been any news on DLC/expansions? I seem to remember a thread about something found on the Steam registry a few weeks ago?

Angst

Picked this up yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. I started an Ironman Normal campaign and has had two deaths so far. About 6 missions in.

I started a new game and I'm not getting any Supports. I have at least 3 heavies, snipers, and assault, but only one Support. I'm down to my last rookie before I have to hire more.

And should I get a second Squad Sight sniper, or give the second one Snapshot?

I started a new game and I'm not getting any Supports. I have at least 3 heavies, snipers, and assault, but only one Support. I'm down to my last rookie before I have to hire more.

Squad sight, ALWAYS squad sight. The only time you should ever pick snapshot is late game when you already have at least 2 colonel squad sight snipers.

The issue with classes is just run of the luck, it's not uncommon to have 3 of some classes and 1 of another.

Lunchbox

Banned

i won this on the back of 3 squadsights. one of them killed the final boss with her opening 2 shots -

y7pB6Gc.png

Top Bottom