• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

KKRT00

Wow, i've played for a first time from launch and they still havent fixed it.

Game still cancel Your zoom out option when You switch soldiers and there is no settings for that. Geometry and texture still bug out when zooming out. And in my first map, i've already got a bug with flank ..., even when run next to him, he got defense bonuses. To get 100% hit i had to leave truck cover and stand right to him ..
ib2cUFW8tBnFIL.png

And of course i've got worse map ever.
I admire Beaglerush even more now.

Sini

First real mission in this and I already got a bug.
Aliens were activated before I spotted them and overwatched my squad.
Is Firaxis ever going to fix all these serious bugs?

Rufus

I guess they're waiting for the expansion. Makes sense economically, since it's likely to introduce its own problems, but it's still shitty for us.

how the hell do you save on this game? I started a first time play through and I went and loaded my "save" and nothing was there :( I did notice there was an auto save in the options but how do I save otherwise?

Rufus

It's in the pause menu on PC at least. I figure it's the same for the console versions. What exactly are you loading if it's not a save game?

I captured an Outsider and decided to take the next abduction mission to train one of my rookies, since I still have only one support and he nearly died.

NOPE, HAVE SOME MUTONS AND THIN MANS. Rookie didn't have even the slightest chance, and it really hurts having only one Support.

So after watching Beagle's runthroughs, I had the urge to play again and started up my third campaign runthrough. I've already beaten it on Classic Regular and Normal Ironman, so I decided to go for my Classic Ironman run. Goddamn I don't remember it being this hard the first time I did Classic. If my guys weren't hunkered down in full cover, they got hit by every shot. I think one Sectoid missed once the entire six or seven missions I played before I had my first full party wipe against a UFO. Maybe I'm just rusty since I haven't played in a few months, but damn.

Love the game, but damn.

Rufus

Wait until you run into Thin Men. You either kill them immediately or you stay out of sight, otherwise you are getting hit no matter what.

Ugh, tell me about it. Thin Men are the bane of my existence. I'm not looking forward to the even harder enemies.

I got the Slingshot DLC on a whim to see what it was like. Note to self: do not choose to do the DLC missions while playing Classic Ironman. I was fine for the first two, but the third one just kicked my ass. Ended up running into a Cyberdisc way earlier than I was prepared for and that started a chain reaction of death that ended with another full party wipe.

Oh well, time for attempt #3!

EDIT: Since nobody else has replied, instead of double-posting I'm just going to add another thought here: Has there been some sort of patch or something that's made the game more buggy? So far in my numerous attempts at Classic Ironman, I've had a lot more glitches than usual. The most annoying is I've had patrols appearing in the middle of my men way too frequently to be just a bug here and there. Is it related to Hunker Down and the lack of vision? Because I didn't use it as much on my first two playthroughs but I'm using it more frequently now. I had to scrap my latest playthrough because the very first mission, literally after one sequence of moves, all six Sectoids appeared in the middle of my group of four and they all scattered and got shots as if they were activated the previous turn, killing half my squad before I even knew what was happening. Very weird, since this maybe happened to me once or twice when I first played.

The Stig

There I was thinking the teleport bug might have been fixed by that patch they sneaked in a while back.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See those 6, yes 6 enemies on the right?

I DIDN'T. I've never had 2 mobs teleport in.

I was trying to capture a sectoid, which is normally pretty easy. So this one runs across the map from me, sits behind a truck and goes Overwatch. So I hit it with Disabling Shot. The sniper plays the hit confirm voice, the sectoid's gun is sputtering, I move my taser guy forward... and the sectoid proceeds to not only take a reaction shot, but takes TWO reaction shots in a row against the same guy. What?

What?

At this point in the game I'm incorporating alien pop-ins into my strategy. The first round of any UFO landing/crash site I move my guys into the nearest cover available and set everyone to Overwatch. It never fails, first round of enemy movement at least one squad appears in the middle of my guys. As long as they're all on Overwatch, at least one (usually all) of them goes down. Then I park, sit, and wait for any other surprise patrols before moving towards the UFO.

After a bunch of rocky starts, I've managed to get a run going in Classic Ironman. Lost a country already, but it was a strategic loss (saved other countries and lost one in my home starting base so I didn't lose the other special abilities. Had a scare on my latest UFO mission, was fighting 2 Mutons and a pack of 3 Thin Men waltzed right into the middle of my battle group. Nearly lost my prime Heavy but a lucky critical wound instead of a kill + Revive from my Support got me out of the mission without a loss.

This particular campaign, yes. Every UFO mission so far has had a patrol pop into the middle of my squad. The abduction/terror missions haven't done it thank God, but I'm already tensing up at the possibility of a Cyberdisc or group of Muton Elites randomly appearing in my group later in the campaign when I've put many more hours in the game and am close to finishing.

And like I said before, it's weird because this never happened to me during my first two playthroughs, or at least at such a high frequency like this. The only change I can think of is that I downloaded the Slingshot DLC, but I'm not playing with it this particular campaign so unless it changes the patrol architecture I don't know what's up with it.

Rufus

I didn't think the bug was that bad. The worst thing I've had happen was something like six packs of sectoids spawning at once in one of those cemetery maps, but they weren't right on top of my people.

RPGCrazied

Got it today, pretty fun, but how come almost every UE3 game runs like junk on PS3? Ugh, I hope PS4 sorts this shit out with UE4.

just did a downed UFO mission with 6 females and once again did NOT get the cheevo

fuck's sake.

That's weird. Must be bugged, although I got it on an abduction mission.

In other news, my Classic Ironman runthrough is slowly starting to spiral out of control. I managed to take on the Alien Base and was doing perfect...right up until the last room. Two Mutons I weren't expecting appeared, so I moved my Colonel sniper into a position where he could hit them next turn and hunkered him down. The first Muton took a shot at him...and destroyed the cover leaving him exposed. The second Muton critical hit him and killed him outright despite him being at full health....and my best man with 40+ kills so far was blown apart after successfully navigating the rest of the base.

And then immediately following that mission I had a terror mission with Chrysalids out the wazoo and a Cyberdisc that was apparently a ninja, and because my people took this opportunity to not be able to hit the broadside of a barn the Cyberdisc managed to kill my only Assault and one of my two high-class Supports.

I'm now down to 9 troops, 3 of which are rookies, 3 of which are Snipers, along with 2 Heavies and a single Support. There's no panic around the world right now due to the alien base, thank God, but I'm out of money and low on troops, with an alien abduction mission where I can either pick up an Assault Captain (good and needed) or a $200 mission that will allow me to get the New Guy upgrade for my rookies and another satellite (also good and needed). But this is basically the climax point here. Either I successfully negotiate this low and move forward, or I fuck up and the 20+ hours I've put into Classic Ironman so far go down the drain. Sigh, this was my best run too, right up until that unlucky string of deaths.

DasRaven

Anyone know if the load times are better on the PSN version of the game compared to the PS3 disc version?

I just traded the disc to Amazon a while back since it seemed to be constantly seeking during play, causing lots of noise in the PS3 super-slim.
I was considering picking it up again as a DD which would resolve the noise and hopefully speed up loading somewhat.
I know the PC/Mac versions have comparably short load times.

just did a 3rd mission with 6 females.

no cheevo :-(
I know you'll hate me for this, but I got it the other night without making a conscious effort to do so. I was trying Not Created Equal and the 4 females of the group had the best base stats so I used them all. Got it on the 2nd mission.

Also, I'm getting attached to this game again, but I just know it will soon end like it always does. I am trying to use at least 1 rookie per mission though so if ll hell breaks loose I have backup Squadmates and I can use the rookie as a sacrifice on that particular mission.

Sentenza

I was just browising what mods are available for this game at this point and I noticed something depressing: to play with mods you have essentially to rely on "hacking" the original game, using Steam offline, making a backup of your original files and so on...

Seriously, what's this crap? Didn't they stated more than once, in several interviews, that they planned to allow and embrace modding?
Is that how they support it? Making it as unintuitive and annoying as possible?

mercviper

Finally playing this game after buying it 4 months ago lol.

First run:

Classic Ironman with Tutorial since I'm new to XCOM and have no idea about the controls. I figured it would've been a few pre-loaded missions to help me learn controls/combat and then let me sandbox it up. Nope! At least as far as I got, the game was pretty much on rails and even bugged out on my twice.

The first time I was promoting my sole survivor from mission 1 and hit shift+tab to talk to a buddy. I came back and I couldn't do jack shit and had to restart and re-load lol. Bug #2, after a couple missions pass and I get xenobiology researched I get asked to build the containment facility. I begin production, and something happens and I cannot continue further, so I restart and reload and it's wanting me to build the facility again but it's already in progress and I lack the resources to start a second one. GG game is broken lol

So onto the second run:

I've got a grasp of the mechanics now, so obviously it's time to jump to Ironman Impossible, right?? I make it 3 missions losing only 2 guys, and now I have to disarm some bomb that's going to go off in mexico. I make it to the bomb losing half my sqaud from a careless move on the side into 3 sectoids and running into a Thin Man. It's okay though, because I made it to the bomb with 3 turns to spare. So I walk my Sgt. up to disarm the bomb... and FOUR thin men ambush me lol. GG Squad death.

At this point it was 2am so I decided it was a good stopping point and time to go to sleep. I think what I'm going to do now is restart on Classic Ironman so I can get a feel for all the other gimmicks and ambush triggers that can happen before going back for an Impossible clear.

bomb disposal on your first month is generally run-ending on Impossible Ironman. The thin men spawns are usually too much combined with the need to have everyone live and have prep time to set up a good overwatch for the deactivation ambush.

You really want something else as your council mission on month 1.

mercviper

bomb disposal on your first month is generally run-ending on Impossible Ironman. The thin men spawns are usually too much combined with the need to have everyone live and have prep time to set up a good overwatch for the deactivation ambush.

haha good to know. If only I could choose.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The only map I've ever been able to finish Impossible Ironman bomb disposal first month is the graveyard, and that's only because I already knew where the spawns in the center area are and could preemptively rocket them with my heavy.

The train yard bomb disposal always fucks me. Every time.

mercviper

Game 3 I went with Classic Ironman. First few missions were super easy, but it all went to shit when 3 thin men burst out from the diner and popped a cap in my Lt sniper because I wasn't near enough cover. To make things worse, she was critically wounded, but I was unable to stabilize because her corpse fell through the ground, ne'er to be seen again. I end up wiping the squad through a series of mistakes throughout the rest of the mission such as shotgunning a thin man up close and eating the poison, and later attempting to shotgun a Sectoid but instead using my pistol for a pitiful 1 damage. Didn't help that I got super greedy with my stun gun and failed to hit @ 90% once. With the remainder of my barracks containing rookies and being ~6 missions in, I think it's time to restart, but back to Ironman Impossible.

Also, what should I sell at the beginning? I have this pack rat mentality for stuff because I never know when I'll need it later, but right now I feel that selling corpses past the initial autopsy and damaged UFO parts isn't going to hurt me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Game 3 I went with Classic Ironman. First few missions were super easy, but it all went to shit when 3 thin men burst out from the diner and popped a cap in my Lt sniper because I wasn't near enough cover. To make things worse, she was critically wounded, but I was unable to stabilize because her corpse fell through the ground, ne'er to be seen again. I end up wiping the squad through a series of mistakes throughout the rest of the mission such as shotgunning a thin man up close and eating the poison, and later attempting to shotgun a Sectoid but instead using my pistol for a pitiful 1 damage. Didn't help that I got super greedy with my stun gun and failed to hit @ 90% once. With the remainder of my barracks containing rookies and being ~6 missions in, I think it's time to restart, but back to Ironman Impossible.

Also, what should I sell at the beginning? I have this pack rat mentality for stuff because I never know when I'll need it later, but right now I feel that selling corpses past the initial autopsy and damaged UFO parts isn't going to hurt me.

One of the only reasons you'd want to keep some sectoid parts around is if you plan to delay your interceptor tech a little, and need the evasion boost to help take down larger craft. I usually just sell.

Any tips on how to effectively level up soldiers out the gate midway into the game?

I'm into the month of August, but I've been more focused on building up my base and technology. I have plasma weapons, titan armor, updated scopes at my disposal, so my question is this:

What mission types are safe to bring 2 squaddies along? When is it more practical minded to bring along 1? And when is it just common sense to keep them at home?

I also need advice on what to equip them with according to their class? Is it better to bring grenades, or upgraded scopes? All of them have access to plasma weapons and titan armor, but right now, it's really hard to score hits on targets despite advanced weaponry. I find it especially hard to score non-ordnance kills with heavies.

Any tips on how to effectively level up soldiers out the gate midway into the game?

I'm into the month of August, but I've been more focused on building up my base and technology. I have plasma weapons, titan armor, updated scopes at my disposal, so my question is this:

What mission types are safe to bring 2 squaddies along? When is it more practical minded to bring along 1? And when is it just common sense to keep them at home?

I also need advice on what to equip them with according to their class? Is it better to bring grenades, or upgraded scopes? All of them have access to plasma weapons and titan armor, but right now, it's really hard to score hits on targets despite advanced weaponry. I find it especially hard to score non-ordnance kills with heavies.

My strategy mid to late game was typically to bring 2 high level soldiers, 2 medium level soldiers, and 2 low level soldiers. That's for the easier mission types- abductions, regular UFO's, etc. When you have titan armor and plasmas the game gets pretty so you want to control the battlefield in order to set your low level guys up for kills. Let the low guys shot first, if they miss let the mids shot, if they miss clean up with your high guys. Snipers always get scopes, supports get medkits or stun guns, heavies get scopes or alien grenades depending, assault gets extra armor or scopes usually.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Mid game, I usually stack aim boosting gear (light plasma rifle and scope) to help the rookies' horrible aim.

Council missions are nice to level up on, since you'll only be fighting thin men or sectoids.

What missions should I refrain from bringing weak soldiers on? I have ti assume there are points in the game where bringing them along is a fools errand. Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of bringing Shivs along on?

Top Bottom