• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Zeliard

I've even made little back stories for each soldier I put in missions.

For example the only survivor from the tutorial mission was horribly traumatized and shaken up from what happened, since he was close to the primary team. He now wears a helmet in a way to keep himself distant from any of his other team mates, as he can't take losing anyone he cares anymore.

He will start to open up later in the game. That is, if he survives.

That's the sad bastard who inevitably dies a horrible death.

Are you playing Ironman on your first playthrough? I don't know which difficulty to start with, I haven't played the original XCOM but I'm a big fan of SRPGs like Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, and Shadow Wars. I'm not sure exactly how much that experience will help me in this game, though.

Right now I'm leaning towards normal for the first playthrough but Ironman definitely sounds the most intriguing.

Yep, Classic Ironman. Still early days but it's been a blast so far. Game doesn't play around.

Ironman is also distinct from the difficulty setting. You can go Normal or even Easy and still use Ironman mode. It just gives you one save to work with. Classic + Ironman is an ideal combination because Classic is specifically designed to give you the most "true" experience, in what you start with, the way A.I behaves in the strategy layer, the hit points enemies get, etc, so having only one save on top of that just adds even further to every facet of the experience.

But if you just go with Normal I would definitely also go with Ironman.

Nocebo

What's great about Ironman is the sense of tension it evokes with every passing turn, and how meaningful it makes all of your choices and decisions, both tactically and strategically.

I play games like X-Com for the experience, not for the story or to particularly get to the end point, so giving it a roguelike "the end is the end" flavor just makes it more interesting. And it'll make beating it that much more rewarding.
My thoughts exactly. The first mission I did was tense precisely because of ironman. I lost one guy pretty early on, which would normally prompt a load but I stuck with it (I had no choice). Though it put a lot of pressure on because I was surrounded by 6 sectoids. Every move could be the last. You have to consider every possibility and move cautiously. I'm loving it and have only done one mission so far.
This XCom feels very different from the original X-Com due to the difference in pacing and movement mechanic but the suspense is great.

My first playthrough is just vanilla normal, with the tutorial enabled. Just to get a feel.

Loving it so far!

For anyone who tried the demo, I still recommend enabling the tutorial for your first go, as there is a heap of stuff the tutorial explains to you that you didnt get to see in the demo.

Screw it, normal + Ironman it is for me. The worst thing that could happen is I have to start over at some point, but that didn't stop me from loving Fire Emblem the first time I played it.

duckroll

Dear Americans who will be playing the game today,

#&(%^# *%#&%*(^#(* ^%($* ^(*#^(%$!!!

Love, duckroll who will be waiting in the corner with the Europeans and other non-USians until the end of the week.

;_;

Nocebo

Love, duckroll who will be waiting in the corner with the Europeans and other non-USians until the end of the week.

;_;
You can always unlock early with a VPN if you're on PC and have it preloaded from steam ^^.

duckroll

You can always unlock early with a VPN if you're on PC and have it preloaded from steam ^^.

I could, but I'll rather not. I don't like playing while connected to a VPN, and if I play offline I might have issues with achievements and time logging! >_<

Plus, MP... :(

I wonder how much of it was down to the pre-release demo, which I understand was quite meaty (at 5GB, too meaty for me). Shogun 2 also did exceptionally well on PC and, coincidentally, had a really great demo.

Xcom's demo was neither meaty, nor good.

The developer centered marketing blitz has been great though. THey've focussed on long, in depth previews of the game, and talking with the developers and things like that, which has led to a really well timed marketing and hype blitz.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I could, but I'll rather not. I don't like playing while connected to a VPN, and if I play offline I might have issues with achievements and time logging! >_<

I'm still here to share your hatred and pain.

sonicmj1

Your loss. The game is awesome. I'm an hour and a half in, playing on Normal Ironman, and it's a tense, thrilling experience. And it's still opening up a lot.

I want to play more.

Bigfoot

Did everyone who pre-ordered with Steam already get their copy of Civ5 and the TF2 hats? I "pre-ordered" with only 20 minutes to go last night, but I don't see Civ5 in my library and I don't think I got the TF2 hats either.

duckroll

Your loss. The game is awesome. I'm an hour and a half in, playing on Normal Ironman, and it's a tense, thrilling experience. And it's still opening up a lot.

I want to play more.

Damnit sonic. Why do you have to come in here and tempt me. Isn't it bad enough that you got to watch the Blood-C movie?! Fffffffffffffffff.

Fjordson

Friend says this plays great with a controller. I know they've showed it off before on a gamepad, but it's still good to hear real world impressions about that. I was hesitant about picking it up on 360, but I don't think I'll be able to resist now. Great week for new games it seems =D

Nocebo

Did everyone who pre-ordered with Steam already get their copy of Civ5 and the TF2 hats? I "pre-ordered" with only 20 minutes to go last night, but I don't see Civ5 in my library and I don't think I got the TF2 hats either.
I know I immediately got Civ5, the other stuff I didn't really check out to be honest.

duckroll

Friend says this plays great with a controller. I know they've showed it off before on a gamepad, but it's still good to hear real world impressions about that. I was hesitant about picking it up on 360, but I don't think I'll be able to resist now. Great week for new games it seems =D

The PC demo worked with a controller too. It plays fine. A lot of the game design is inspired by Japanese SRPGs in the last 3 generations anyway. They definitely put a lot of effort into making it feel responsive on either control scheme. Nothing to worry about. I tried it on both.

RossCo

Neo Member
Is the Elite Solider Preorder pack released yet?

I couldn't see it when I was playing earlier I don't think, but maybe I missed it (getting up at 4am to play the game has not left me clear headed today).

Ken

;_;

Gamestop here is already selling the game today but I want it on Steam which unlocks on the 12th.

So unfair.

;_;

North Americans. :D Being a protectorate under Pax Americana has its benefits.

Fjordson

The PC demo worked with a controller too. It plays fine. A lot of the game design is inspired by Japanese SRPGs in the last 3 generations anyway. They definitely put a lot of effort into making it feel responsive on either control scheme. Nothing to worry about. I tried it on both.
Ah, very nice. Thanks for the info.

Oh, and before anyone calls me a weirdo for needing good gamepad controls for an XCOM game, 360 is my only available platform right now :p

Ceebs

Check under the S's. Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Nocebo

Oh god I forget about the downloading part.. 6 hours to DL it!! :| and I presume I need to stay on the vpn the whole time?!
Not for the download and not after the unlock. When it's downloaded you close steam, connect to the VPN and do the unlock. After the unlock you can just set Steam to offline mode and disconnect the VPN.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So to be 100% clear. If I buy off GMG with the 25% code ill get my serial in the email today? then I use VPN toget on steam and redeem it right?

when I bought of GMG I got my code there and then on the order confirmation page.

If you're in europe you can redeem immediately on steam and preload - no need to VPN yet. Then quit steam, VPN and relaunch steam. Then launch the game. The VPN is only needed to unlock it.

You specifically don't want to VPN when redeeming, in case Steam thinks you're trying to redeem from abroad.

Been meaning to ask. I can't seem to play it with the gamepad. All of the buttons are unresponsive, except the analogs. Is there any known problems?

McNum

Seeing all of you use funny names makes me think of what names could be good to use. Coming up blank at the moment, though.

Derrick01

Banned
Did Mark Sanchez "forget" to lay down suppressing fire?

No but Downey did. Clearly he's not much of a Tebow fan.

On another note my 2nd recover a civilian mission went horrible. Besides Tebow getting gunned down I had 2 others really hurt and some asshole thin man poisoned my civilian and he died gradually before getting to the extraction zone. I don't even think they gave me credit for the one thin guy I captured earlier in the mission :\

when I bought of GMG I got my code there and then on the order confirmation page.

If you're in europe you can redeem immediately on steam and preload - no need to VPN yet. Then quit steam, VPN and relaunch steam. Then launch the game. The VPN is only needed to unlock it.

You specifically don't want to VPN when redeeming, in case Steam thinks you're trying to redeem from abroad.

Hmm ok well lets hope its gone ok then. Would be alot faster if I could move the demo files to the game files aswell. Would cut my time in half!

yarden24

eh these might be silly questions, but how do I change my squad and/or buy new jets? cant find a way, PC version by the way

Sotha Sil

Seeing all of you use funny names makes me think of what names could be good to use. Coming up blank at the moment, though.

I'm going to give super serious names to my soldiers, along with extended biographies and elaborate psychological profiles. Then I'm going to put them though classic (ironman). XCOM truly is a masochist's dream come true.

Nocebo

eh these might be silly questions, but how do I change my squad and/or buy new jets? cant find a way, PC version by the way
1) When starting a mission you can select a squad member and click "clear" or similar I think.
2) Go to the hangar in the base.

Top Bottom