• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hey, after the 2k stream ended last night Greg said he was going to continue playing on his private twitch.tv channel, does anybody have a link to that if it archived? I can't get the game at the moment (I am cry) so the next best thing is living vicariously through the continued exploits of Corporal Crayon and Flex 'Spider' Man.

Magilla

Banned
I'm just pretty upset I lose all my dudes :(

I can just see the devs reading this post.

"Good. Good."

kPGY2.gif

Imagine... just imagine the bonds you'll form to the guys who'll actually survive and triumph! They will be your virtual family. No other game will have you clamoring for the safety of 1's and 0's like xcom.

I really didn't want to lose that Sniper, since she had been with me longer than anyone else. I moved her to the square you bring VIPs to because I wanted to get the hell out of there and leave the other girl, but she was gunned down...

BTW, is there anyway to pull out of a mission before everyone is exploded by lasers?

red731

The game will revert back to its previous state when you disable the VPN, and if you wish to load it again, you'll need to re-enable the VPN and restart Steam. I typically just leave Spotflux enabled, disabling it only when I need to download or purchase something, while others, as you've noticed, prefer to unlock a game and switch to Offline Mode until it has released locally (this leaves the game in its unlocked state).

Great. Thanks again. Just disabled Steam auto run on Windows start. I will run Spotflux before I will start Steam and play then.

ed: just three minutes left to uncompress

Ricker

Probably been mentionned but the 360 demo is out now,at only 1.50 gigs instead of the 5 on Steam....giving it a try now.

I just got my key from Amazon, but didn't get Civ 5 or the $15 credit. Before I call them, could someone who did get them tell me where I should be looking?

Well, the demo sure sold me. Too many games have "console-port-itis", and I wanted to make sure that it controlled perfectly with KB/M before throwing down.

I probably would have still bought it with no demo, but not as a preorder, only after user impressions from PC buyers cleared it first.

Every game should have a demo... well, except the crappy ones. A few times, and recently I'm thinking of Resident Evil 6, the demo completely destroyed any interest I had in the game.

I guess as an example of the mechanics and if you're PC can handle it, it seemed good, but it really leaves out about half the game, and it's pegged on a piss poor dificulty. I dunno, the reaction was pretty damn negative, but if it worked for you then there's no problem with that.

In other news, my copy just arrived. Work just got way harder today :(

Magilla

Banned
Tell me about it. I keep hitting F5 so I can live vicariously through those that can play. This thread needs more after action reports.

Same. That is why I'm spamming. :p

I stayed up until 2am playing just to get my fix. Woke up at 7am so I could leave work by 5 so I can get home as fast as possible to play. I'm 32 and can't remember the last time I was this jacked up about a game.

garath

I usually go to lunch with either my wife or a co-worker and I'm tempted to blow off both just to play some XCOM over lunch. Dammit. This is a long wait.

doomquake

Xcom's demo was neither meaty, nor good.

The developer centered marketing blitz has been great though. THey've focussed on long, in depth previews of the game, and talking with the developers and things like that, which has led to a really well timed marketing and hype blitz.

all they had to do was a night mission on a farm with a multi story barn..thats it..300mb demo...no videos no tutorials.

Mikeside

Amazing results!
I just tried playing this on my Nexus 7 over Splashtop from my home PC.

Need a bit of tweaking for some controls, but it works pretty damn well already! I'm going to plug a mouse and keyboard in and see how that is, but ultimately I'd like to get it functioning just on the touchscreen, or perhaps on a PS3 controller when I can get a GameKlip for the Nexus.

I fucking love the future, guys.

Palmer_v1

Game is so much fun. I'm a month or two into it on Normal Ironman and haven't lost a guy yet. Get injured a bit though, so I've cycled in so many people I have two sets of promoted people.

Switters

First time out in Classic Ironman mode left me with one female Survivor from Pakistan. She will become an avatar of vengeance for those that have fallen.

She made it out alive, the last of her squad after dispatching 3 sectoids with one grenade. How the egg heads down in the lab bitched as I stumbled to the barracks bruised and bloody... "Don't blow them up! We can't research Dust!" The next alien scum I meet will be reduced to its most basic atomic particles, a smear of smoke an blood. Same goes for every vile xeno that dares poke its bulbous head out from behind a bush. She is coming. She is become a horseman of War.

Mupod

First time out in Classic Ironman mode left me with one female Survivor from Pakistan. She will become an avatar of vengeance for those that have fallen.

She made it out alive, the last of her squad after dispatching 3 sectoids with one grenade. How the egg heads down in the lab bitched as I stumbled to the barracks bruised and bloody... "Don't blow them up! We can't research Dust!" The next alien scum I meet will be reduced to its most basic atomic particles, a smear of smoke an blood. Same goes for every vile xeno that dares poke its bulbous head out from behind a bush. She is coming. She is become a horseman of War.

I was really getting annoyed at their constant nagging about my use of explosives. If I hadn't taken out that flanking sectoid with a grenade and instead relied on a 40% shot my whole squad could've been screwed.

And then I found out I couldn't research something I desperately needed because I had no fragments. Welp.

Twiccan

Neo Member
Amazing results!
I just tried playing this on my Nexus 7 over Splashtop from my home PC.

Need a bit of tweaking for some controls, but it works pretty damn well already! I'm going to plug a mouse and keyboard in and see how that is, but ultimately I'd like to get it functioning just on the touchscreen, or perhaps on a PS3 controller when I can get a GameKlip for the Nexus.

I fucking love the future, guys.

You have fun in the future with your love robots, and I'll stick to the modern technowizardry and play this game with a PS3 controller that is >gasp< actually attached (wirelessly, of course, I did say MODERN) to an actual PS3.

19Kilo

I just got my key from Amazon, but didn't get Civ 5 or the $15 credit. Before I call them, could someone who did get them tell me where I should be looking?

I thought I remembered the product page saying that an email with a link to Civ V would be sent within a couple of days after XCOM releases. And I believe if you got the download version of XCOM you only get Civ V. The $15 credit was for physical copies, but didn't include Civ V. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone?

Mikeside

You have fun in the future with your love robots, and I'll stick to the modern technowizardry and play this game with a PS3 controller that is >gasp< actually attached (wirelessly, of course, I did say MODERN) to an actual PS3.

I can play Skyrim this way too.

Remmy2112

The animation for Chrysalid zombies getting off a roof is hilarious. Need to get down but don't have the motor skills to climb down? No problem! Just walk off the side and fall on your face.

I am not the only crazy one! I am not the only crazy one!

Jesus Soto, the last survivor of the tutorial mission is still alive. He lies on his bed,critically wounded, wondering about Earth's chances of survival. He has been having dreams lately, terrifying ones, and only the high of a mission has kept him calm.

He trembles as he prays to God. Yet whatever happens to be Earth's salvation, he knows that his soul will leave it long before it comes.

He prays for it to come soon.

sonicmj1

A few rookies have already kicked the bucket 3 hours into my normal game. Some are forgotten, but I will remember the first who fell. You were a good man, Jorge Gonzalez.

There's also a brave rookie who died immediately after successfully bringing in an outsider alive. I'm very proud of him.

LTWood12

Pre-ordered from Newegg for $47.99 with the UPS 3 day free shipping option. Shipped yesterday, got it and Dishonored first thing this morning. Bravo Newegg. Well played.

smr00

Banned
To anyone playing on PS3 (and sorry if asked)

How well is it running? I am going to drive to gamestop to pick up my Dishonored pre-order and thinking about picking this up as well if it doesn't have terrible screen tearing or anything.

Protein

Banned
God dammit work. I should have taken the day off, but I was horribly sick last week. God dammit body, I should have been horribly sick this week.

Top Bottom