• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Also, Melia has just learned Starlight Kick, which in addition to being a really good move, is literally a Shining Wizard. So in addition to being a powerful mage and Empress, Melia is also moonlighting as a professional wrestler. Truly she is best girl and Shulk would be a fool not to love her.

Spear Break + Starlight Kick = Neverending joy.

Overside

Banned
That's an option?! I'll have to try that tomorrow. No more rage tonight.

Its totally an option.

Alough instead of being

Battle camera on/off

It should have just been:

Screw you Y/N

Seriously, that battle camera is garbage with anything over like, six feet tall. Probably made for the wii/nunchuck control scheme where you had no hope of in battle camera control, and so a choice between a steaming lump of poop and a badger gnawing on your genitals was somehow acceptable camera options.

Yeah, just turn it off, turn nub sensitivity to 100%, and just put the camera where you want it. Infinitely better.

Anyone else in A
gniratha
noticing that some Mechon are just breaking the rules of battle visions? I see the white text Talent attack, cast Shield, but they just hit right through it. Happened to me twice in 10 minutes

Edit: Nevermind, I noticed that Shield only defends against Arts of equal or lower skill level

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
oh my god...

OMGWTFv2.png

Lumyst

Not quite the behavior, more the location.
Where there is a unit of ether (1). And where there isnt (0).

But yeah, that is kind of grim.

In my Physics III class in college, we've just gotten to the waves and modern physics stuff, so I'm seeing lots of it now in Xenoblade ;-) Like, how through many experiments, one can develop a wave function to predict where a particle will be.

So I've had the rematch against
Mumkhar
and jesus christ it was rough. Admittedly, I was largely ignoring sidequests and gems, so I was rather under leveled and under geared.

I...didn't quite buy Shulk's attempt to stop Dunban from killing Mumkhar. I get the hesitance to kill another Homs, but Mumkhar is kinda an unmitigated piece of shit. I feel that the scene would have worked better if Mumkhar was shown to have been actually a halfway decent person when he was a Homs. Oh well, a convenient falling spike finished the job for me and Shulk and Dunban got to keep their moral purity.

Shulk's fucking insistence not to tell anyone about his visions strikes again though. After seeing Fiora fall to her death, he initially decides not to tell anyone, but after being pressed, simply tells them Fiora is here. What the fuck, mate!? The entire reason you're there is to save Fiora, so why are you omitting this important detail from the very people who can help you save her!? Seriously, is this some cultural thing I'm not getting? Because Shulk's behaviour is jarring as hell given he and all the other characters generally don't act like idiots.

Squishy3

Late-game but not end-game spoilers, don't read if you haven't experienced past The Core:

People weren't kidding about the Lorithia fight being kind of BS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mumkhar
and jesus christ it was rough. Admittedly, I was largely ignoring sidequests and gems, so I was rather under leveled and under geared.

I...didn't quite buy Shulk's attempt to stop Dunban from killing Mumkhar. I get the hesitance to kill another Homs, but Mumkhar is kinda an unmitigated piece of shit. I feel that the scene would have worked better if Mumkhar was shown to have been actually a halfway decent person when he was a Homs. Oh well, a convenient falling spike finished the job for me and Shulk and Dunban got to keep their moral purity.

Shulk's fucking insistence not to tell anyone about his visions strikes again though. After seeing Fiora fall to her death, he initially decides not to tell anyone, but after being pressed, simply tells them Fiora is here. What the fuck, mate!? The entire reason you're there is to save Fiora, so why are you omitting this important detail from the very people who can help you save her!? Seriously, is this some cultural thing I'm not getting? Because Shulk's behaviour is jarring as hell given he and all the other characters generally don't act like idiots.

Regarding the later points without spoiling too much;
Some of Shulk's odd behavior will be explained later.

Late-game but not end-game spoilers, don't read if you haven't experienced past The Core:

People weren't kidding about the Lorithia fight being kind of BS.

I was watching someone's blind playthrough on Twitch and had to coach them through the fight.
They went out and grinded a few levels, but more importantly I was able to convince them to switch Reyn for Riki. The additional healing and ether based attacks helped a ton. Their team at first was Melia (PC), Reyn and Sharla. It was also the first time he had ever switched from playing as Shulk, he didn't know anything about Skill trees, and had only crafted gems once. :p

Regarding the later points without spoiling too much;
Some of Shulk's odd behavior will be explained later.

Thanks, that's very good to know :)

Anyway no further story update from me yet; after how tough the
Mumkhar
fight was, I've decided to just go finish up some quests and level up. I find it hilarious how powerful Riki is; guy has amazing DOT attacks, can heal almost as well as Sharla, has powerful back attacks like Shulk and can even off tank if needed. Truly he is
this year's
Legendary Heropon.

Fireblend

Banned
So my hour count has finally caught up with my level and now I'm level 66 at hour 66
KuGsj.gif
I've really slowed down lately with how much progress I've been doing, and I've got to admit I feel like the story is stalling a bit... still going though, hopefully the plot will grab me again soon.

Just reached Agniratha. Is any of the quests given here worth it? They seem like such a chore...

Dice//

Banned
Mumkhar

Yeah I thought the bit with
Mumkhar
was pretty bogus. It's a long-winded speech to boot (which is awkward to watch while Dunban fights back the entire time so Shulk can give his new life-lesson and philosophy on the matter). They should have made
Mumkhar's
'karmic end' come a bit faster or through another vision --- this was one occasion that didn't need the big speech about life, morals, and whatever platitudes. Well said about them keeping "moral purity" --- this happens way too much in just about any storytelling medium.

Curious: Does anyone equip Melia with any of her fancy stats/aura skills?? I'd usually rather just sink enemies with as much magic as possible, and none of her auras (at least on the surface) seem very...good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So my hour count has finally caught up with my level and now I'm level 66 at hour 66
KuGsj.gif
I've really slowed down lately with how much progress I've been doing, and I've got to admit I feel like the story is stalling a bit... still going though, hopefully the plot will grab me again soon.

Just reached Agniratha. Is any of the quests given here worth it? They seem like such a chore...

Yep,
the Mechonis after the Fallen Arm (after all, you're climbing something as large as the Bionis, but without nearly as much interesting landscapes, or life)
can be a bit of a drag, but
you are nearing some huge story moments and it doesn't really slow down after that again.

WarAdept

Curious: Does anyone equip Melia with any of her fancy stats/aura skills?? I'd usually rather just sink enemies with as much magic as possible, and none of her auras (at least on the surface) seem very...good.

If you're talking about her party buffs from her Summon Elemental arts, then yes. By default, Melia should always have 2 Bolt buffs on her to increase her (and anyone else who uses it) ether damage, only summoning and discharging whatever her 3rd Summon is.

Both Summon Earth and Summon Wind (specifically Earth) have big uses when fighting monsters higher level than your party as they drastically make things much easier.

The only time she should be unleashing all her Summons is when they mob is about to die or during a Chain Attack.

KuGsj.gif

I play for about 2-3 hours each day and surprisingly it works quite well. Even if minor, I everyday make a bit of progress in the story, even if I just feel like exploring.
I'm at 50 something hours, level 60 over here. Still on
the Mechonis' thigh.

About 20 hours in and I'm only at Satorl Marsh, knocking out as many named sidequests as I can. Plus this is my second time playing, it's useful to know the basic layout of each area so I can uncover the map faster.

If you're talking about her party buffs from her Summon Elemental arts, then yes. By default, Melia should always have 2 Bolt buffs on her to increase her (and anyone else who uses it) ether damage, only summoning and discharging whatever her 3rd Summon is.

Both Summon Earth and Summon Wind (specifically Earth) have big uses when fighting monsters higher level than your party as they drastically make things much easier.

The only time she should be unleashing all her Summons is when they mob is about to die or during a Chain Attack.

Does having summon bolt on multiple times actually stack the effect?

I bought a new 3ds. Didn't have nintendo handheld since the gameboy advance. Bought Bravely Default and Tales of The Abyss, both disappointing. Should I buy this ? I barely touched my new 3ds.. (Liked MH4U and Pokemon though, but I need a RPG).

TheMoon

I bought a new 3ds. Didn't have nintendo handheld since the gameboy advance. Bought Bravely Default and Tales of The Abyss, both disappointing. Should I buy this ? I barely touched my new 3ds.. (Liked MH4U and Pokemon though, but I need a RPG).

This game has nothing in common with any of these games so ...I don't know? It's an awesome game, do you like awesome games?

vareon

You know, I don't have specific type of RPGs I like. I like both Souls games and Final Fantasy X ( Every other FF sucks for me).

Those are a lot of games you dislike, and those games are generally well liked around here. You should say what you like in games so we can advise you better, imo.

Those are a lot of games you dislike, and those games are generally well liked around here. You should say what you like in games so we can advise you better, imo.

I should just watch videos of xenoblade. But I need a game which is very comparable to it to see if I like or dislike it.

TheMoon

I should just watch videos of xenoblade. But I need a game which is very comparable to it to see if I like or dislike it.

People always refer to FF XII's battle system (haven't played it myself) when talking about Xenoblade. If you know you hate that, too, then you should probably stay away?

You could also check the links in the OP under the banner to the old original OTs (for the Wii release) which have more general info about the game.

Fireblend

Banned

This game is pretty great, probably the best jRPG on the system and it will keep you occupied for a good while. Check out SMT IV too, unless you're turned off by the difficulty or the first-person turn-based battles. Fire Emblem Awakening is a pretty good bet too. And there's a TON of great RPGs for DS like The World Ends With You you could check out.

It'd probably help if you told us why you didn't like BD or TotA. I'm not a fan of BD either, got the Collector's Edition but abandoned it like halfway through the game because of the BS the plot pulls :p

People always refer to FF XII's battle system (haven't played it myself) when talking about Xenoblade. If you know you hate that, too, then you should probably stay away?

You could also check the links in the OP under the banner to the old original OTs (for the Wii release) which have more general info about the game.

Oh yeah, I really liked the combat system of FF12. I really should check it out at least.

You know, I don't have specific type of RPGs I like. I like both Souls games and Final Fantasy X ( Every other FF sucks for me).

Xenoblade plays similarly to FFXII so it might not be for you. Think of it as a cross between singleplayer MMO combat (albeit with clairvoyance mechanics) and a Xeno-series kind of story with a unique setting. The biggest draw of the game is the exploration.

Mumkhar

To me, it's part of Shulk's evolution as a character. I don't think it's about Shulk keeping moral purity, because before that point they basically don't have any moral standing to begin with. They're only out for cold-blooded revenge. This is the first time they're actually second-guessing their actions.

Overside

Banned
To me, it's part of Shulk's evolution as a character. I don't think it's about Shulk keeping moral purity, because before that point they basically don't have any moral standing to begin with. They're only out for cold-blooded revenge. This is the first time they're actually second-guessing their actions.

REAL STRAIGHTFORWARD SPOILERS:
Seriously you, yes you there reading, did you beat the game? Did you at least beat the mechonis section? No? Then stop reading.
Shulks decision making process is compromised through 3/4 of the game. Hes not the only one in there, hes with zanza, and zanza has a plan that shulks supposed to follow. So, unobtrusively, he tries to guide shulk, as shulk deviates more and more, and the unobtrusive persuasion works less and less, he takes direct action.

The shulk that refuses to share visions... every single one of those visions, would immensely benefit zanza if they came to pass. The doubts against fate and reluctance to put rhe bursen on the part is the suggestions of zanza.

The shulk that refused to kill munkhar is the real shulk, whom zanza was trying to galvanize into an unthinking mechon hating robot.

ghibli99

Oh yeah, I really liked the combat system of FF12. I really should check it out at least.
I was one of those people who didn't really click with FF12's combat, but I am absolutely LOVING this game's, so take that as you will. LOL I also don't like MMOs, but I am enjoying this (and have enjoyed other SP MMO-like games with lots of sidequests (e.g., DQ9 & Nier)). The world is huge, beautiful, and fun to explore, and the characters are refreshingly energetic. It's great how straightforward and honest they act, which is not what I generally expect when I go into a JRPG.

JCX

I really disliked FFXII's battle system, but loved Xenoblade's. The reason I disliked XII is that you could be far away from an enemy with just physical attacks, but it can still hit you. in Xenoblade, spacing actually matters, so if you run away (beyond a certain point), physical attacks cannot hit you.

ASIS

REAL STRAIGHTFORWARD SPOILERS:
Seriously you, yes you there reading, did you beat the game? Did you at least beat the mechonis section? No? Then stop reading.
Shulks decision making process is compromised through 3/4 of the game. Hes not the only one in there, hes with zanza, and zanza has a plan that shulks supposed to follow. So, unobtrusively, he tries to guide shulk, as shulk deviates more and more, and the unobtrusive persuasion works less and less, he takes direct action.
spoilers
this would have all been great and logical but shulk had no problems killing faced mechon before, during, and after that vattle , that decision always baffled me, also the spike thing that killed mumkhar was very lame as well

spoilers
this would have all been great and logical but shulk had no problems killing faced mechon before, during, and after that vattle , that decision always baffled me, also the spike thing that killed mumkhar was very lame as well
might wanna fix that spoiler tag

I really disliked FFXII's battle system, but loved Xenoblade's. The reason I disliked XII is that you could be far away from an enemy with just physical attacks, but it can still hit you. in Xenoblade, spacing actually matters, so if you run away (beyond a certain point), physical attacks cannot hit you.

Yeah, that's the one thing I disliked on FF12's combat system, that you couldn't really dodge actively.

Overside

Banned
spoilers
The mass produced face mechon do create a dissonance between the story and the gameplay that is akward, but the story itself is pretty clear on this. Shulk is getting closer and closer to being done killing as hes becoming powerful enough to stop anything without killing.

As far as story cutscenes go, shulk refuses to kill any other faces, the only one appearing in story parts after that point being gadolts, and egils, both of which he straight up refused to kill.

The player however, is free to slaughter faces and collect all their loots.

TheMoon

Yeah, that's the one thing I disliked on FF12's combat system, that you couldn't really dodge actively.

You still can't "actively" dodge in Xenoblade. You can just get out of range. Don't misunderstand and think there is DS/Zelda like dodging. Once you select an Art to attack, the second you pressed that button if your target is in range, it will hit. Doesn't matter if the target moves out of the way during the animation.

DNAbro

About 25 hours in and just got to Valak Mountain. It's amazing how each new area in this game keeps impressing. The music at night is amazing.

Just got
Seven
. Any tips on how to play with
her
?

Double Attack gems and skill link to Dunban's Critical Drain Skill and any other Critical Hit based skills. And always use Speed Shift whenever it is done cooling down. Slap Haste gems on too. You want to hit fast and hard. Guard Shift can increase the tanking ability too.

Overside

Banned
Double Attack gems and skill link to Dunban's Critical Drain Skill and any other Critical Hit based skills. And always use Speed Shift whenever it is done cooling down. Slap Haste gems on too. You want to hit fast and hard. Guard Shift can increase the tanking ability too.

This is brutally effective.

However, it is a douBle edged sword, should the enemy have damage back spike.

This is brutally effective.

However, it is a douBle edged sword, should the enemy have damage back spike.

If we're talking this far into the game, you'll want Spike Defence gems at the ready anyways. There also won't be too many damage back spikes at the point in the game where you get Seven, so you should be pretty well off. But yes, you are correct.

Eryth Hiln provide a great source of Spike Defence crystals, as well as Night Vision, in case anyone is worried and wants to be cautious.

Overside

Banned
You still can't "actively" dodge in Xenoblade. You can just get out of range. Don't misunderstand and think there is DS/Zelda like dodging. Once you select an Art to attack, the second you pressed that button if your target is in range, it will hit. Doesn't matter if the target moves out of the way during the animation.

This is important, a lot of people mistake xenoblade for a real time/action game because you can position your character during battle, and this prevents them from really seeing and understanding how the game works.

Theres no collision detection at all, and whether an attack animation actually touches what its attacking doesnt matter.

The games totally closer to turn based than it is to anything else, its just atb based on each move instead of the character.

The closest thing to actually compare it to is one of the battle directors prior works. Its a lot like chrono trigger, if the player party could move as well as the enemies.

Raiden

Banned
So i got this recently with a new 3ds xl and noticed that sometimes my screen will go darker and then a bit brighter again. Is this z known issue?

Top Bottom