• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

TheMoon

So i got this recently with a new 3ds xl and noticed that sometimes my screen will go darker and then a bit brighter again. Is this z known issue?

this is your New 3DS using its new auto-brightness feature :)

you may want to check the box for the feature list ;)

go to where the brightness settings are... disable it (if you want).

Raiden

Banned
this is your New 3DS using its new auto-brightness feature :)

you may want to check the box for the feature list ;)

go to where the brightness settings are... disable it (if you want).
Oh wow yes.. Much better thanks! Everything looks much more clear now :)

Fireblend

Banned
So most of my timed quests are about to expire (
about to enter Mechonis Core
). Is there a list somewhere I should check to make sure I'm not skipping any important questline? I don't care about the generic quests from non-named NPCs, just the story/lore-relevant ones.

Edit: Just found a good list in the Xeno wiki... turns out I missed like 3 "named" quests I should have done before
fighting egil at Meyneth's Shrine
=/ oh well, no turning back now. Expiring quests suck.

Astral Dog

The mass produced face mechon do create a dissonance between the story and the gameplay that is akward, but the story itself is pretty clear on this. Shulk is getting closer and closer to being done killing as hes becoming powerful enough to stop anything without killing.

As far as story cutscenes go, shulk refuses to kill any other faces, the only one appearing in story parts after that point being gadolts, and egils, both of which he straight up refused to kill.

The player however, is free to slaughter faces and collect all their loots.

I thought only the few that appeared on cutscenes were faces? Shulk suspects that something is wrong and begins to doubt killing mechon, that part was clear on the story i thought the mass produced Faces were not humans at all but i suppose they were, do they react to the sword?.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thought only the few that appeared on cutscenes were faces? Shulk suspects that something is wrong and begins to doubt killing mechon, that part was clear on the story i thought the mass produced Faces were not humans at all but i suppose they were, do they react to the sword?.

In regards to how the story and the gameplay clash here..
I just choose in my mind to say Shulk disables, but doesn't destroy the mass produced face mechons you happen upon from the Mumkhar moment forward. Yeah, it requires a bit of imagination on the player's part, but that's how I'd imagine it.

Overside

Banned
I should just watch videos of xenoblade. But I need a game which is very comparable to it to see if I like or dislike it.

there is nothing comparable to Xenoblade thats been released in.... at least the past decade. That kind of game design stopped being made, when publishers realized how hard it was to get it right as technology advanced and expectations of what it should entail grew. Its like if an snes jrpg was made with modern technology.

The game has a good combat system with a lot of optional depth, and optional bosses to use it on. There are no random battles,and you can see all enemies before combat starts, so whether combat happens or not is up to the player. On top of this, when combat does happen, it happens on the field, so you dont get random battle exploration disorientation.

The game made the game world the star of the show, and has no intention of herding the player from point to point until the game ends. If the overworld is one of the most important things to you in your jrpgs, this one shouldnt be missed.

The story is multi faceted, with likable characters compared to the angsty amnesiacs that have become cliched, and fun events with cool moments. Past that you need a basic knowledge of its source materials to understand what actually happens in the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I like Xenoblade a lot. It's my favourite jRPG since Mother 3 and among my favourite games of all time. The only fault I really have with it is pacing during portions of the game. Some of it is just sensory overload for the player where you just are stuck in one area for so long because you want to clear and explore stuff. But there are parts that felt like a really chore just to get from one end to the other my first time through
ie; Mechonics after you get off the Arm
. Funny enough, I'm actually enjoying grinding sidequests much more my second playthrough. Xenoblade of course isn't alone in its pacing issues, but it's the only real fault I have with the title. I am prepared for a full rebuttal pacing being an issue, but that's just my feelings on it. :p

Overside

Banned
By that point in the game, the monado could cut everything, only a god could stand in its way.

Only Face mechon had homs in them, all the other mechon were non sentient tools.

But yeah, the mass produced faces had homs inside them, and their basic drop was the blood stained face, complete with guilty description. murdering them for loot and xp definately clashed with the message the story was sending. Not that it stopped me. I am the one who knocks.

I feel like I'm still missing something in regards to the battle system. Just got to the 'Metal Face' and I can't seem to damage him.

Wants me to use 'chain attacks', but I'm lost. Guess I missed something

Overside

Banned
I feel like I'm still missing something in regards to the battle system. Just got to the 'Metal Face' and I can't seem to damage him.

Wants me to use 'chain attacks', but I'm lost. Guess I missed something

Metal face is highly resistant to break status because hes much more powerful than other mechon.

However, in a chain attack the break effect is much, much harder to resist, and breaks and then gets toppled every time, and once hes down, its dog pile time.

Beat on the minions, until you build up the blue bar, then use the chain attack on metal face, break, and topple him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Metal face is highly resistant to break status because hes much more powerful than other mechon.

However, in a chain attack the break effect is much, much harder to resist, and breaks and then gets toppled every time, and once hes down, its dog pile time.

Beat on the minions, until you build up the blue bar, then use the chain attack on metal face, break, and topple him.

There are no minions in that fight, but I think you automatically get max tension so it's really easy to raise the party gauge. Just use directional attacks, those along with the burst affinity should max the gauge pretty quickly.

So after largely ignoring the sidequests and Colony 6, I've finally decided to start working on these. Holy shit, I knew this game was big, but I forgot how absolutely massive it was.

Mendrox

Started the game last week and played 15 hours last weekend.

God how could I miss this glorious game (playing on Dolphin 1080p)?
The music, cutscenes, characters, "Bunch of jokers", everything somehow gets me addicted. I don't even really like the battle system. It gets shit down, but that is it.

Let's see how it goes on. :)

Eh, there's no guarantee you will enjoy Xenoblade's combat just because you liked XII. People always compare the two because they are similar on paper, but in reality they feel very different to play.

I personally dislike Xenoblade's combat, but absolutely love XII's. So even if you hate XII, you may still enjoy Xenoblade. :p

So I'm at
Mechonis Field
. Would this be a good time to clear out sidequests, fix up Colony 6 and unlock 4th skill trees? I don't know why, but something about
Mechonis Field
is giving me Point of No Return vibes.

TheMoon

So I'm at
Mechonis Field
. Would this be a good time to clear out sidequests, fix up Colony 6 and unlock 4th skill trees? I don't know why, but something about
Mechonis Field
is giving me Point of No Return vibes.

You still have a ways to go but if you wanna get out of that place and see the sun, yea do some sidequest clean-up. But you still have places to see. :)

when is it a convenient time to go back to colony 9 for Shulk's skill tree? I just got the forest, after finishing Satorl Marsh in record time (I got so side tracked here on the Wii version).

I know some of the reason why I am going quicker is because I have already played the game until you get seventh. (Literally, my last Wii save was immediately after getting seventh), but there is some degree of "surprise" left in the game. I'm picking up on a lot of things I missed previously, so this "mini-replay" has been awesome.

TheMoon

when is it a convenient time to go back to colony 9 for Shulk's skill tree? I just got the forest, after finishing Satorl Marsh in record time (I got so side tracked here on the Wii version).

not sure what you're asking. you know you can quick travel to anywhere you've been at any time, right?

Tyeforce

I know this is kinda off topic here, but the Smash Bros. thread hasn't really helped and I figure this would probably be the best place to ask this at the moment. Anyway, I'm making Mii Fighters in Smash Bros. for the DLC character outfits with Miis based on the ones used in official screenshots, and I'd like to give them all the most appropriate set of special moves. The only one I need to finalize now is Dunban's Mii Fighter.
nxuDvkl.jpg

Now, I've played Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, but I almost exclusively played as Shulk, and even though I had Dunban in my party quite a bit, I'm not the most familiar with his Arts. I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3D but I haven't even gotten Dunban in my party yet on that version, and my Wii games are all packed away right now after moving so unfortunately I can't really easily check this stuff on my own, and there doesn't seem to be any video out there that shows off all of Dunban's Arts, either. I can find a list of his Arts, but that doesn't tell me what they look like visually, which I need to know to be able to choose the best special moves for the Dunban Mii Swordfighter.

Odd request, I know, lol, but if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it! Currently I have 3213 (Blade Flurry, Slash Launcher, Stone Scabbard, and Power Thrust) set for the Dunban Mii Swordfighter, and that may well be the most appropriate set, but I'm not too sure since I'm not the most familiar with Dunban's Arts.

EDIT: Never mind, I dug out my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and checked out Dunban's Arts. Seems my memory was alright, since 3213 does indeed seem to be the most fitting set of special moves.

Wichu

I thought I'd made an awesome endgame party, until I went to fight Ancient Daedala and got my ass kicked. Guess I should get to level 99 before attempting it again.

I just went up against (very minor mid/late game spoilers)
Magestic Mordred in Central Factory
and I remember struggling against him for a long time before I beat him when I first played this game, and had to be a few levels above him to really stand a chance. This time I went in with Shulk, Dunban and Seven, skill linked a bunch of stuff like healing after Chain Attacks, healing when encouraging, recovering HP when scoring a critical hit, turning all double attacks into critical hits, turning blocks into critical hits and increasing blocking and then slapped on Double Attack gems. Holy crap I wiped the floor with that guy in about 3 minutes. He was yellow tagged too with about 5 levels above me. It was pretty funny. I just went in there and fucked him up!

I love this game.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
I just went up against (very minor mid/late game spoilers)
Magestic Mordred in Central Factory
and I remember struggling against him for a long time before I beat him when I first played this game, and had to be a few levels above him to really stand a chance. This time I went in with Shulk, Dunban and Seven, skill linked a bunch of stuff like healing after Chain Attacks, healing when encouraging, recovering HP when scoring a critical hit, turning all double attacks into critical hits, turning blocks into critical hits and increasing blocking and then slapped on Double Attack gems. Holy crap I wiped the floor with that guy in about 3 minutes. He was yellow tagged too with about 5 levels above me. It was pretty funny. I just went in there and fucked him up!

I love this game.
You can defeat it when he was red and it is not very hard.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
Yeah I know. This was more of a personal achievement. I'm not saying I broke the game.

EDIT: I'll clarify that my first time through this game was a hot mess. I'm playing a lot smarter now.
Defeating red monster is not a personal achievement. It is full of fun. You'll find a lot of new parties against enemies and use completely different arts from the first time through. Try to defeat unique monsters which are 6 more levels higher than you in later game and you'll find it is pretty interesting.

hoserx

Just checking in to say that his is really becoming my favorite JRPG........never played it on Wii, I'm about 35 hours / level 50ish and I am just overjoyed by every moment. It's the perfect game to chip away an hour or two at every day. Makes me wish I bought it on Wii when it was available a bit more readily.......but either way I am having an amazing time.

Fireblend

Banned
So I got past
Mechonis Core and the like 2 hours worth of cutscenes that follow
. My mind is full of fuck. How close am I to the ending?

I'd also love it if someone had a list of "must-do" quests, I don't care for most of them at this point, but I don't want to miss any important or cool piece of lore either. It annoys me that not only am I supposed to traverse every place with named characters to check for new quests, I have to do it like 3 times so I can cover the night/day cycle and I might still miss a couple. Argh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I swear they upped the rare item drops in this version. I get everything in one or two passes now and only have the final zone left.

Still going to take me two weeks to get ready for the endgame though.

So I'm trying to build Seven as a tank and have unlocked their 4th skill tree. I have all Speed Gear equipped and have Haste gems and Dunban's HP restore on crit skill. Is there anything else I can do to increase tankiness? Should I take off a few Arts and replace them with Auras so that Seven will spend more time doing auto attacks?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I'm trying to build Seven as a tank and have unlocked their 4th skill tree. I have all Speed Gear equipped and have Haste gems and Dunban's HP restore on crit skill. Is there anything else I can do to increase tankiness? Should I take off a few Arts and replace them with Auras so that Seven will spend more time doing auto attacks?

Who else is in this party? She won't be able to out aggro Dunban or Reyn consistently depending on what skills they have, and depending on when exactly you are in the game and how you built him Shulk can and will.

She can tank by outdamaing everyone and avoiding every attack but she doesn't have the skills to back it up.

oakenhild

In
sword valley
and starting to get some xenoblade fatigue, not sure why. Maybe the story has stalled a bit or something. I'm about
30 hours in.

Is there a common place that people seem to get burned out?

Who else is in this party? She won't be able to out aggro Dunban or Reyn consistently depending on what skills they have, and depending on when exactly you are in the game and how you built him Shulk can and will.

She can tank by outdamaing everyone and avoiding every attack but she doesn't have the skills to back it up.

Team is comprised of Melia, Seven and Riki. There's no real strategic purpose to the team, Melia and Riki are my favorite characters in the game so I've been trying various combinations featuring those two. I realize Dunban is seen as an excellent tank, but I don't like him all that much as a character, and as much as I like Reyn, I've been using him almost the entire game and want to see some fresh faces.

As for builds, Riki is utilizing almost all his DoT attacks, his heal and that dance that increases the party gauge, whereas Melia has her forced topple, summons bolt, fire and earth and summon copy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People only consider that character a good tank because they are thinking of only end game setups when nothing will hit the character ever and their build will outdamage everyone. It's likely very hard for that character to outdo the DPS spikes that Melia will provide. Hell Riki built properly might be a better tank at that point in the game, better HP and skills for it.

If you really want to give it a try load up on aggro up gems instead.

alvis.exe

So I got past
Mechonis Core and the like 2 hours worth of cutscenes that follow
. My mind is full of fuck. How close am I to the ending?

I'd also love it if someone had a list of "must-do" quests, I don't care for most of them at this point, but I don't want to miss any important or cool piece of lore either. It annoys me that not only am I supposed to traverse every place with named characters to check for new quests, I have to do it like 3 times so I can cover the night/day cycle and I might still miss a couple. Argh.

Pretty close. Two more relatively small areas and like 2-3 more bosses to go before the final boss/area. Make sure you know how to use the Come to Me party command before proceeding!

And off the top of my head, I'd say the
Melancholy Tyrea, Nopon Drug Lord quest chain, and all of the Giants' Treasure quests are the most important lore-wise. The Nopon quest chain does have some timed quests that would have expired after the Core though. Gameplay-wise try to do all the sidequest chains that get you your fourth and fifth skill trees as well as the two unlockable Monado arts. Especially Armor. Monado Armor is so very useful.

Golnei

I had no idea the initial draft of
Yaldabaoth
used a snake's body. I'm not sure if it would have looked anything other than ridiculous in motion, but it would be a nice way to visually distinguish it from
the other Faces
and reinforce the symbolism of its namesake.

Maybe i'm missing something, but does anyone else find it a little bit ridiculous that you can't hit opponents that are too high level for you? I just got to the final boss and took him out in round 1 pretty easily, then round 2 starts and i can't even hit him. I'm level 76 with all my characters, and dunban and riki seem to be able to get some hits in but shulk just can't get a single hit in. I feel like even at the current level i'm at, I can probably still win the fight but the game is basically telling me no, go grind out some levels and come back, which is annoying cause the game throws you back before the fight with
Dickson
so now I've got to go back and do that all over again.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
Maybe i'm missing something, but does anyone else find it a little bit ridiculous that you can't hit opponents that are too high level for you? I just got to the final boss and took him out in round 1 pretty easily, then round 2 starts and i can't even hit him. I'm level 76 with all my characters, and dunban and riki seem to be able to get some hits in but shulk just can't get a single hit in. I feel like even at the current level i'm at, I can probably still win the fight but the game is basically telling me no, go grind out some levels and come back, which is annoying cause the game throws you back before the fight with
Dickson
so now I've got to go back and do that all over again.
You need to add agility up to 50. Link all the skills which increase agility. Equip night vision gems to increase your accuracy at night. Before battle against final boss, you'd better adjust time to night and fight.

Raiden

Banned
Is it just me or is the game pretty hard compared to other rpgs? Im loving it though. Still need to figure out that skull tree as well and im already 10 hours in.

TheGrue

Is it just me or is the game pretty hard compared to other rpgs? Im loving it though. Still need to figure out that skull tree as well and im already 10 hours in.

I'm so overleveled right now that the game is a cakewalk for me right now. Doing all these side quests really makes you overpowered. For instance, I had to go do something for a story quest and normally you have to fight your way past a bunch of monsters to do each part. I am so high level, that I could just walk right past them up to the thing I had to do and they don't attack.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea the initial draft of
Yaldabaoth
used a snake's body. I'm not sure if it would have looked anything other than ridiculous in motion, but it would be a nice way to visually distinguish it from
the other Faces
and reinforce the symbolism of its namesake.

That's not what that's showing. That is just from artwork that breaks down the final design into pieces.

UCBooties

I've played about 60 hours and honestly I'm hitting a wall. I got fed up with chasing side quests and playing with the clock to try to get special monsters to spawn so I decided to go ahead and push ahead with the story. I'm level 50 in sword valley and suddenly I'm struggling in every fight. There is a fight in one of the forward bases against a unique enemy and his two sidekicks and I think I have died at least ten times now. I was having a lot of fun with the combat system but now its just getting frustrating. I've played around with my gem setups and skill affinities and I'm still not getting anywhere.

Anyway, I know, git gud, etc. etc. I just needed to vent for a minute.

Morts

I've played about 60 hours and honestly I'm hitting a wall. I got fed up with chasing side quests and playing with the clock to try to get special monsters to spawn so I decided to go ahead and push ahead with the story. I'm level 50 in sword valley and suddenly I'm struggling in every fight. There is a fight in one of the forward bases against a unique enemy and his two sidekicks and I think I have died at least ten times now. I was having a lot of fun with the combat system but now its just getting frustrating. I've played around with my gem setups and skill affinities and I'm still not getting anywhere.

I'm about five hours in and this post is super intimidating. Right now though I'm quite enjoying it.

Xbro

I'm about five hours in and this post is super intimidating. Right now though I'm quite enjoying it.
For both of you. Do not overload on sidequests.

Top Bottom