• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

The graphics of the port are certainly polarizing.
The graphics are really not that much different than the main game.
People are remembering it with rose-tinted glasses.
The game was also pretty ugly on the Wii.
I booted up both versions this morning to see and yeah not much of a downgrade.

jorgejjvr

I see this:

and then this:

The graphics of the port are certainly polarizing.

The game was never that graphically capable even on the wii, i cant talk about the 3ds version since I dot have it yet (US) but watching the trailers alone honestly it all looks fine to me, and I know for a fact it will look even better in person.

Regardless, graphics is not the main reason to play this game, and dont get me wrong the art direction is still amazing and there are some great vistas. But people need to play this because it is one of the best jrpgs and just overall game of our time, and the portability does wonders for this type of game. Just play it

Valus

the problem with the exploration is that everything looks the same to me, it's all only muddy green. Also I don't seem to get the combat. I can take on some monsters above my level at ease but get destroyed by some one level lower than me (violent andante or something). Additionaly the directions the subquests give you don't help at all: I should find something at a lake, but the lake is not on my map, so I'm just running around through ugly looking muddy green. Dunno, it just won't click.

Sounds like you're new to video games. Or aren't bothering to give this game a chance. Perhaps FFXIII is more your kind of RPG?

Buying this at launch never played the wii version as it was sold everywhere where i'm at anyways anything i need to know? like performance problems etc

jorgejjvr

Buying this at launch never played the wii version as it was sold everywhere where i'm at anyways anything i need to know? like performance problems etc

Just enjoy the game. One of the best there is. I wish it was my first time to experience it all over again, I will still love it my second time now im sure, but nothing beats experiencing this game for the first time with no expectations

JimPanzer

Sounds like you're new to video games. Or aren't bothering to give this game a chance. Perhaps FFXIII is more your kind of RPG?

Nah, I'm playing videogames for 20 years now. Dunno, it's probably not my kind of exploration. I love the souls game and how exploration is handled there.
I'm certainly willing to give the game a chance. In my last 2 hours with it (8 hours in) I definitely have seen some things I quite like about it, but nothing which would justify the praise it gets around here. Anyway, I'll keep playing! It's not that I don't have fun at all, just expected a bit more.

Rich!

1. You gain the most experience in finding new areas, landmarks and hidden locations. You rarely need to grind. Explore.

2. Little to no penalty for death. If your team die, you go back to the nearest landmark which is never far.

3. Fast travel between landmarks is available on the map right from the start.

3. Make sure you upgrade your arts and set up skill links using the menus.

4. Don't obsess over sidequests. A lot is filler with not much xp. Just talk to loads of people who have quests (! Above their heads) and you will complete their quests as you go through the main story.

5. Persevere. Shit gets real after you beat the first talking mechon. And then later on in the game, shit gets even more real. Then even realer.

The locations also get more and more beautiful, surreal and imaginative as you progress through the game - and this is by design. Its a shame some people in this thread are writing the game off already based on the more plain and natural beginning areas.

ilium

I'm not far in but really digging it so far. Yeah, it kinda looks terrible up close but the vistas are amazing and it runs really well. (And who buys 3ds games for eyecandy anyway?!) Characters seem interesting so far, glad they didn't go with angsty teenager bullshit. VA is suprisingly good and fits. Love the banter as well. OST is amazing.
Love the amount of armor and appearance change! Lots of skills and room to customize as far as i can tell.

My only gripe so far are the terrible animations and boring MMO fetch quests. But i can live with that.

1. You gain the most experience in finding new areas, landmarks and hidden locations. You rarely need to grind. Explore.

2. Little to no penalty for death. If your team die, you go back to the nearest landmark which is never far.

3. Fast travel between landmarks is available on the map right from the start.

3. Make sure you upgrade your arts and set up skill links using the menus.

4. Don't obsess over sidequests. A lot is filler with not much xp. Just talk to loads of people who have quests (! Above their heads) and you will complete their quests as you go through the main story.

5. Persevere. Shit gets real after you beat the first talking mechon. And then later on in the game, shit gets even more real. Then even realer.

The locations also get more and more beautiful, surreal and imaginative as you progress through the game - and this is by design. Its a shame some people in this thread are writing the game off already based on the more plain and natural beginning areas.

Just enjoy the game. One of the best there is. I wish it was my first time to experience it all over again, I will still love it my second time now im sure, but nothing beats experiencing this game for the first time with no expectations

Awesome i can't wait

Kiko

Does anybody think text is a bit blurry? It's not the 3D effect, tested this. I can live with blurry textures but the text should be sharp :(

Hiltz

Side quests are still very useful as way to earn a lot of affinity between characters instead of just relying on obtaining it through combat alone. Of course, you have to make sure what position the characters in your party are in, which I think matters for the party leader character and whomever you put in as the 2nd place spot in your party. When you finish a side quest and talk to the NPC to get a reward, you'll see pink hearts appear above your party leader and 2nd party member's heads, so the affinity between those two character relationship will increase.

Does anybody think text is a bit blurry? It's not the 3D effect, tested this. I can live with blurry textures but the text should be sharp :(

I'm playing the Japanese version and the text for the tutorial slides are really compressed. I can still read it but I have to squint in some cases. Thankfully I already know how the mechanics for this game works.

Rich!

It's the exact assets from the Wii version (bitmap images for the tutorials) resized. That's why.

I have to say, the game looks...considerably worse on the regular N3DS. I find it far harder to read on there than on my New XL

Corgi

Banned
besides the rare footage of the bottom screen shown in videos (hp and map), is the bottom screen used for anything else in other menus and what not?

Bleeether

If you've never played the wii version, dont take that map on the bottom screen for granted. I haven't played the 3ds version, but im sure that is a god send. I hated having to pause the game to check the map every 30 seconds ( Blind play through)

BUT WE MUSTN'T BE CARELESS!
That's not the appropriate response. Amateurish!

If you've never played the wii version, dont take that map on the bottom screen for granted. I haven't played the 3ds version, but im sure that is a god send. I hated having to pause the game to check the map every 30 seconds ( Blind play through)
The map on the bottom screen of the N3DS version is just the minimap that's normally in the top-right corner of the Wii version.

Rich!

Uh

You do realize there is no map on the bottom screen, right? Just the same minimap that's on the Wii version. See:

hzbiyw.jpg

You still have to press a button and pause to view the map.

Bleeether

Uh

You do realize there is no map on the bottom screen, right? Just the same minimap that's on the Wii version .

You still have to press a button and pause to view the map.

No i didn't, i assumed a minimap on the bottom screen would be a no brainer when they made the game! That sucks

Edit: i can't believe there is no option to switch from that view with the mini map and character thing, to a full map mode. wow

Rich!

No i didn't, i assumed a minimap on the bottom screen would be a no brainer when they made the game! That sucks

So did I lol. Or at least a button on the touch screen to view it...but no. In fact, there is no touch screen use at all, and the bottom screen is only used for what you can see in my image and some menus. Literally nothing else.

But ah well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo

MrPanic

What an awful time to be broke. I got a n3ds mainly for this game as well and now I can't afford it, just my luck.

Corgi

Banned
So did I lol. Or at least a button on the touch screen to view it...but no. In fact, there is no touch screen use at all, and the bottom screen is only used for what you can see in my image and some menus. Literally nothing else.

But ah well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo

yeah.. you saw the signs when pretty much every single trailer of this game was just the upper screen.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Interesting, I didn't know the combat in this game is kinda similar to classic western RPG games, just without pausing and group management. Huh.
I like it

JimPanzer

Press X then Start. You didn't read the tutorials huh.

I read it somewhere, but didn't remember which button combo. It's X and then R btw ;) Seems as if it always shows up when I'm driftting away from the path I should follow.
Also what's up with Gems? How can I remove them or swap them to another weapon?

ilium

I read it somewhere, but didn't remember which button combo. It's X and then R btw ;)
Also what's up with Gems? How can I remove them or swap them to another weapon?

Simply by "equipping them a second time" which removes them.
There is no unequip button if you're looking for that.

JimPanzer

Simply by "equipping them a second time" which removes them.
There is no unequip button if you're looking for that.

So if I want to sell a weapon which has gems on it but want to keep the gems, I have to equip the gems from the weapon I'm selling and then go back equipping my old gems? God damn, I'm doing my best here to like the game, but stuff like this is just torture

Brakke

Banned
I have a flight on the tenth. Amazon says they will deliver it on release day; they will have to deliver it before noon.

I want nothing more than to have this game on the plane. Got the quandary: roll the dice on flight-day delivery? Or plan to pick it up while I'm out of town so at least have it for the flight back? Take the chance of either both or neither, or lock it just one flight.

The conundrum is real.

Vecks

So if I want to sell a weapon which has gems on it but want to keep the gems, I have to equip the gems from the weapon I'm selling and then go back equipping my old gems? God damn, I'm doing my best here to like the game, but stuff like this is just torture

Been a while since I played, but IIRC, the gems don't get sold. they should just go straight back into your inventory.

ilium

No idea, i started playing today and haven't sold anything yet! :p

But yea, it sounds cumbersome.

Edit: what i meant by equipping them twice was that you unequip a gem by simply going into the gem menu and click on it. It's like on/off.

ok combat is growing on me. question: I sometimes get an icon "story memo" what does that mean?
"Story Memo" means you're not in the map that contains your destination, and basically is prompting you to pull up the menu and hit R to be reminded of the last plot event so you can remember which map you need to head to. If you are in the map containing your destination, then you'll have an arrow pointing toward it instead.

There is no [Gem] unequip button if you're looking for that.
There was in the Wii version; I can't imagine there isn't in the 3DS version.

ilium

"Story Memo" means you're not in the map that contains your destination, and basically is prompting you to pull up the menu and hit R to be reminded of the last plot event so you can remember which map you need to head to. If you are in the map containing your destination, then you'll have an arrow pointing toward it instead.

Ah yes! ZR unequips gems. Didn't See it, sorry!

JimPanzer

Ah yes! ZR unequips gems. Didn't See it, sorry!

thanks! this make things a lot more convenient!

I have a flight on the tenth. Amazon says they will deliver it on release day; they will have to deliver it before noon.

I want nothing more than to have this game on the plane. Got the quandary: roll the dice on flight-day delivery? Or plan to pick it up while I'm out of town so at least have it for the flight back? Take the chance of either both or neither, or lock it just one flight.

The conundrum is real.

Get it digitally?

TheMoon

Does anyone know if the NZ/Aus version will have the black case as well? I'd consider importing from the UK just for it I think if not!

read the OP please. there is even a god damn picture.

Read OP. I wrote stuff there for a reason^^

Interesting, I didn't know the combat in this game is kinda similar to classic western RPG games, just without pausing and group management. Huh.
I like it

the game has elements of both, actually. holding ZR (?) and pressing directions on the d-pad gives battle commands to your party. look it up in the manual for details. pausing and control of other party members happens during chain attacks.

I meant individual skills you activate.

you mean arts?

you can level all of them up at any time, I'd prioritize the arts you actually use a lot, but remember that upgrading gets much more expensive at higher levels

Yeah, Chuggaaconroy's playthrough is 49 hours.
Things get really interesting around the 20 hour mark from what I hear.

My favorite modern RPG so far has been Ni No Kuni, so I cannot comment on Persona 4 much, ha ha.
I'm pretty sure his actual playtime is 120+ hours, you forget over half of it is cut or sped up footage ;)

Overside

Banned
About leveling skills. Do i just level up everything? Can i respec later on?

You will have the option to have plenty of points to fill every skill tree.

You can change it at any time, I tend to simply pick a skill tree that has a skill you think you would like at that moment, and forget about it for a while. When I come back that branch is either maxed or on one of the last ones.

After you get a few skills, its a good idea to start using that player to player affinity. When your party builds affinity with one another, they can start taking on the 'personality traits' of their freinds, in the form of 'skill linking', which is using skills from other characters skill trees by way of affinity coins the more affinity the characters have for each other, the higher level skills you can use. These skills, CAN be added and removed at will and removing them gets the affinity coins back, that you can put towards trying out a different skill.

Griss

Yeah, Chuggaaconroy's playthrough is 49 hours.
Things get really interesting around the 20 hour mark from what I hear.

My favorite modern RPG so far has been Ni No Kuni, so I cannot comment on Persona 4 much, ha ha.

As to the bolded, I never really agree with this for any game, (it's just something apologists say to get people to keep playing a game they like imo) but I specifically don't agree with it regarding Xenoblade. If the opening of the game, up to and including Gaur Plains, doesn't drag you in, then you most likely will never, ever like it. Nothing particularly interesting happens 20 hours in to change things at all.

The first time I got to Gaur Plains the game had already secured 10/10 GOTY masterpiece status for me. If you're disliking it at that point, well I'm afraid it doesn't get any better.

(btw, I am 100% convinced the game needs to be played on a big screen)

Yeah, Gaur Plains and the sequence leading up to your first visit to it is the point where Xenoblade makes it's "case" to the player. Although I have heard a few people say that the
Eyrth Sea + Prison Island
arc is where they really fell in love with it.

Top Bottom