• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Mokubba

Wow that looks amazing. Both i1 and the clip on lens.
It'll be interesting to see the results.

I see that's why the Xperia Z Ultra also has a magnetic clip. It should be compatible with this as well.

Mung

Xperia i1!
XS3pSAU.jpg

That looks amazing

Akira

A mini-RX100 II that will attach to my smartphone? For less than $400, yes please!

But I have a feeling the camera of the Xperia i1 will be good enough and if I'm not mistaken, the less expensive lens add-on will have the same sensor as Honami so it's probably for the Xperia Z. One thing I'm wondering is if this will work strictly with Xperia units since I'm guessing it will connect through the new Sony magnetic port. Another thing that worries me is how it will feel to shoot with the add-on, could be cumbersome.

vivftp

Rumors indicate it's going to be compatible with iOS too, so it'll likely work with a range if Android devices.

I guess phones with NFC will just make the pairing process simpler. I wonder if non-NFC phones work via wi-fi direct, or bluetooth.

Just 3 more weeks until the big reveal!

A mini-RX100 II that will attach to my smartphone? For less than $400, yes please!

But I have a feeling the camera of the Xperia i1 will be good enough and if I'm not mistaken, the less expensive lens add-on will have the same sensor as Honami so it's probably for the Xperia Z. One thing I'm wondering is if this will work strictly with Xperia units since I'm guessing it will connect through the new Sony magnetic port. Another thing that worries me is how it will feel to shoot with the add-on, could be cumbersome.
There are two different lens accessories. One is a 1/2.3" with 10x optical zoom and Sony G lens and the other is a 1" sensor with the Zeiss from the RX100. Not heard anything about pricing since this is a product from the camera division and I dnot really have many contacts there outside of the team that works on phone sensors and modules.

Need some quick help. I don't know if it was me enabling a setting or something but when I put my Xperia Z to charge the screen wont turn of automatically. Also when I turn it off manually in the middle of the night it will turn on and not shut off. Any idea what it could be?

Mario007

Why not call it the Xperia Z 2? It's simple. It works. It makes people immediately aware that it's the successor to the popular Xperia Z.
Cause it'll come only half a year after the Xperia Z so people could be angry for that. Z 1 still denotes some sort link to Xperia Z but not enough to think this is an immediate successor. Next year Sony is rumored to only have 1 flagship so that can be Z2.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Heya lads!

I have an Xperia T, which has treated me quite well over the past little while, but the other day I came across an issue.

Turned the phone off to charge it, and it won't turn back on. All I get is a flashing red light for 3 blinks or so and then nothing. Tried the Power+Vol up soft reset and still nothing. Tried googling the issue but nothing seems to work. I'm currently overseas and can't send it back, not to mention most of my pictures from the trip are on my phone and I'm absolutely dreading losing them all.

Any suggestions for a fix to this problem that doesn't involve me sending it in (something I will most likely do when I get home but if I can get it fixed now that would be swell)

vivftp

Posted this in the Android thread, but in retrospect it makes more sense to put it here with the rest of the Xperia rumors

Hmm, someone on XDA seems to want to tease something...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2419113

He indicates Sept 4th will be interesting. Could it be Honami Mini? Here's the picture in question. All the lines and numbers are my own for scaling purposes up against the Blackberry Q10 beside it

So it's about 109.24mm tall, 57.88mm wide and judging by the shadows at the bottom of each phone they're about the same thickness so approx 10.4mm thick.

If this is Honami Mini then it's quite small for its rumored specs. Compare those dimensions against the iPhone 5 which is 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm. Just for the record the rumored specs of Honami Mini are 4-4.3" 720p triluminos display, 2GB RAM, S800 processor, same elemental resistance as Honami and possibly has the same camera as Honami.

Alternate possibilities are this is a low/mid range phone, or a complete hoax. The poster on XDA is using a new account so who knows. Any insiders want to comment? :)

Mario007

Xperia Z1. Will be announced in just over a week.
Zomg, is Sony looking at Z1 as a Z refresh or rather as a brand new phone in the Z series (like Galaxy S1 to Galaxy S2 kind of jump)? Just curious to see how they want to treat it, since it looks to be more of Z refresh to me.

Z1 is probably just a Z Ultra Mini.

Z Ultra, in every shape and form, really felt like the Z that Sony wanted to make from the get-go, but somehow couldn't build at the time of release.

Linius

Wish Sony would do some sort of promotion where I can turn in my Xperia Z and get that new version they're coming with for a decent price.

All these glorious Xperia products, I need a bigger wallet. Maybe I should just try and finish my study already :p

Zomg, is Sony looking at Z1 as a Z refresh or rather as a brand new phone in the Z series (like Galaxy S1 to Galaxy S2 kind of jump)? Just curious to see how they want to treat it, since it looks to be more of Z refresh to me.

I really can't be sure. I think they didn't want to go down the Z+ route as it would lead to angry Z owners, neither did they want to go down the Z II route for the same reasons. Z1 makes it into a refresh without calling it one. More like, this is a brand new device, related to the old one but not really the same at all. It's a decent compromise.

Next year I guess it will be the Z II and Z II Ultra.

Mario007

I really can't be sure. I think they didn't want to go down the Z+ route as it would lead to angry Z owners, neither did they want to go down the Z II route for the same reasons. Z1 makes it into a refresh without calling it one. More like, this is a brand new device, related to the old one but not really the same at all. It's a decent compromise.

Next year I guess it will be the Z II and Z II Ultra.
Cool, thanks. Thats the impression I was getting as well from it all. Hopefully the one flagship model per year model will work out better for them next year.

spwolf

I dont know why people like putting things into boxes... Honami is generational leap over Z in everything, bigger change than S3 to S4... ZII will not be such leap at all.

With that being said, I hope to score Ultra... I surf the web and answer emails a lot more than use phone, so it kind of looks perfect for me.

Niks

^ Maybe its because the original Z was released 6 months ago? also why do you say the ZII will not be as big of a jump?

ZII might launch in the same timeframe as Z next year, so feb/march 2014, thats several months ahead of the next Samsung/HTC which is good for Sony, however it might miss the new Qualcomm chip due to its early launch. XZ also had S4 Pro while GS4/HTC One had S600.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How quickly from announcements until launch in Europe are we talking here for the Z1?

I want to buy a smart-phone again after my old one broke down, and I want something that is better than the HTC One. (Which based on my research seems to be the best phone in that size.)

How quickly from announcements until launch in Europe are we talking here for the Z1?

I want to buy a smart-phone again after my old one broke down, and I want something that is better than the HTC One. (Which based on my research seems to be the best phone in that size.)

Im betting on mid september.

spwolf

^ Maybe its because the original Z was released 6 months ago? also why do you say the ZII will not be as big of a jump?

because unlike for Z, we dont even know of anything better than components for Honami being in sight.

With Honami launching with great screen, huge battery, S800, 2 GB, 20 MP camera, they have all the best components that are announced... Z launched with us knowing that it doesnt have best cpu, or screen or camera.

Now I also dont understand why Z owners would feel bad and why should Sony do one phone per year... that makes very little sense to me... If Sony doesnt get out regularly with up-to-date phone, then someone else will and then those same Z owners will update to S4 and not Z1.

Mokubba

Xperia Z1. Will be announced in just over a week.

It'll be great if they called it the Z1, it's a great name for their flagship and much easier to remember than random letters.

ZII might launch in the same timeframe as Z next year, so feb/march 2014, thats several months ahead of the next Samsung/HTC which is good for Sony, however it might miss the new Qualcomm chip due to its early launch. XZ also had S4 Pro while GS4/HTC One had S600.

The XZ did benefit from the time advantage it had to the HTC one and S4 didn't.
It might not be a bad idea to go down that route again. I think if they take care of the other parts like the camera and screen then it's a good choice

Looking good, I actually don't mind the bezel and it doesn't look thick. The initial pictures made it look much thicker than than the XZ.

spwolf

It'll be great if they called it the Z1, it's a great name for their flagship and much easier to remember than random letters.

The XZ did benefit from the time advantage it had to the HTC one and S4 didn't.
It might not be a bad idea to go down that route again. I think if they take care of the other parts like the camera and screen then it's a good choice

Looking good, I actually don't mind the bezel and it doesn't look thick. The initial pictures made it look much thicker than than the XZ.

when is new Qualcom launching? In March next year?

S4 might get S800 bump in few months, but nothing new is really launching for half a year at least.

It says there is a new system update available, 10.31.A.0.244 it's called, and I need to install the update through the PC Companion but the update stalls on "Preparing computer for software update" every fucking time.

What do I do

GQman2121

Banned
Is there any way to take the clock out of the notifications bar on the Z? I'm not rooted and don't see any option in the settings.

Mokubba

when is new Qualcom launching? In March next year?

S4 might get S800 bump in few months, but nothing new is really launching for half a year at least.

I'm not sure but I'mm assuming that it will have a similar release schedule like the SD600 this year.

vivftp

I'm sure perverts will love these external camera lenses :)

I was kinda iffy about the look of the smaller clip on mount, but the full case mount looks dead sexy. I know the actual circular mount is metal, but I wonder if the entire case is, or if it's plastic. That case alone is making me reconsider holding out on getting one of these external lenses. I really hope they make an APSC sized version next year and who knows, maybe even larger.

vivftp

Here it is with Honami:

Sony_DSC_QX100_5.jpg

Cosidering they're making white and gold lenses, I have to imagine they're also making a white mounting bracket and case.

DAMNIT, it looks so good too :( Friggin' Sony might as well just reach into my bank account and take what they want. I can't stop giving them $$$ :(

So lesse, with just 4 months until the end of the year I still have to get the Z1, Tablet Z refresh, PS4, and I suppose I might end up getting the RX100 mk. 2 lens camera thingy.

Well played Sony.

spwolf

Here it is with Honami:

Sony_DSC_QX100_5.jpg

Cosidering they're making white and gold lenses, I have to imagine they're also making a white mounting bracket and case.

DAMNIT, it looks so good too :( Friggin' Sony might as well just reach into my bank account and take what they want. I can't stop giving them $$$ :(

So lesse, with just 4 months until the end of the year I still have to get the Z1, Tablet Z refresh, PS4, and I suppose I might end up getting the RX100 mk. 2 lens camera thingy.

Well played Sony.

no wonder laptop sales are down eh? I could refresh my tablet and this camera thingy and phone... crazy money though so wont buy laptop then as I have i7 thats still super fast.

I might get Z Ultra though, i can use it as tablet as well... plus this camera mount for it hopefully :))))

Top Bottom