• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Mokubba

Here it is with Honami:

Sony_DSC_QX100_5.jpg

Cosidering they're making white and gold lenses, I have to imagine they're also making a white mounting bracket and case.

DAMNIT, it looks so good too :( Friggin' Sony might as well just reach into my bank account and take what they want. I can't stop giving them $$$ :(

So lesse, with just 4 months until the end of the year I still have to get the Z1, Tablet Z refresh, PS4, and I suppose I might end up getting the RX100 mk. 2 lens camera thingy.

Well played Sony.

Wow that looks good. The clip on for the lenses looked a bit out of place but the official Sony snap on cases for the XZ and XZ1 look very good and solid and central too.

Detaching the viewfinder from the phone is a very nice feature too.

Sony's going to make a lot of people's wallet cry.

Hopefully with a 2560x1600 screen, S800, 3GB ram. Its time for another 10" Android flagship tablet, been too long.

1920 x 1200 is fine IMO.

Any news on international pricing/release dates? I'm in Australia and after 5 years of ios I've finally decided to jump ship, and the Xperia Z1 looks to be the one to do it.

Hung Wei Lo

I'm stuck in meetings all day, so I can't do much searching, but my ZL won't boot up anymore, unless it's charging (luckily I'm sitting near an outlet)

Once unplugged, as soon as I try doing anything, I'll briefly lose my signal and then it would reboot (and then get stuck on the splash screen animation)

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be out a quick fix while I'm pretending to be paying attention?

Wubby

Wow I hadn't realized Docomo already stopped selling the Z. The Xperia they have is some craptastic A model or something.

Apparently they stopped selling the Z, even though it was a top seller, becase after 5 months it wasn't new enough. How horrible can you be at running a phone company? Sony needs to have more carriers in Japan. Apple is now on every carrier that matters. Ugh, I hate all the carriers here in Japan.

Sony makes great phones, but what good are they if no one sells them.

Radec

Wow I hadn't realized Docomo already stopped selling the Z. The Xperia they have is some craptastic A model or something.

Apparently they stopped selling the Z, even though it was a top seller, becase after 5 months it wasn't new enough. How horrible can you be at running a phone company? Sony needs to have more carriers in Japan. Apple is now on every carrier that matters. Ugh, I hate all the carriers here in Japan.

To give way to the latest Z1 ?

That's how the Japanese carriers roll. 3-6 months for a model. Pretty much everything except the iPhones are handled like that.

Can I ask what Xperia Z-line specific things there are on this phone?

My friend who is not tech savvy just got one and I'm trying to mentor him as he's hopeless with this stuff.

Cheers!

Radec

Well the flap on the USB port on my Z is abit loose.

A drop of water probably got in and the wet indicator turned pink now voiding warranty due to water damage. My Z still works perfectly though, so I bought a charging dock. Works excellent for charging, doesn't work for data transfer.

I wonder if this still waterproof.. lol

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Proud new Z owner here XperiaGAF! :D What are your recommendations for cases? I'm looking for something to cover the borders mostly, not a big fan of those tablet-like covers that make you open the phone like a book every time you have to answer a call.,

Radec

Proud new Z owner here XperiaGAF! :D What are your recommendations for cases? I'm looking for something to cover the borders mostly, not a big fan of those tablet-like covers that make you open the phone like a book every time you have to answer a call.,

Any bumper type cases would be great.

Danj

Anyone have any experience of sending an Xperia Z in for repair by Sony in the UK? They got the phone 2 days ago according to Royal Mail but it still hasn't shown up on their extranet system and when I phone them they just tell me "oh it can take a while before it gets logged" and "you'll get an automated email". Their website quoted a 5-7 day repair time, I was hoping to get it back this week as I have a week off so it was least inconvenient to do it now.

Danj

I eventally got my phone back, after some Royal Mail shenanigans last week. they fixed the rear camera and also flashed it with stock firmware.

Danj

Apparently there's a new update available for my Xperia Z, anyone know what it is? Charging my battery at the moment as it's too low to do the actual update.

Mokubba

I think my Z is dead. Took it to the swimming pool and it was fine for quite a while then it stopped working.

It's currently sat in a bag of rice but in case it is fully dead, I'm looking at the Z1 but should I wait for CES?

I've heard about the Z1s and the mini but those don't interest me and usually we'll have leaks but nothing like this time last year when the Z and ZL were about to be released.

Mokubba

I think I'll wait for CES before buying a new phone but it's going to be tough.

I know Sony wasn't happy about the XZ leaks last year and are trying to plug their leaky bucket but I doubt they have a major update to the Z1 to be shown at CES unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit:

no-more-leaks.png

Mario007

I think I'll wait for CES before buying a new phone but it's going to be tough.

I know Sony wasn't happy about the XZ leaks last year and are trying to plug their leaky bucket but I doubt they have a major update to the Z1 to be shown at CES unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit:

no-more-leaks.png
Z1 mini is fairly major. Also a Z1 refresh is rumored.

Mokubba

Z1 mini is fairly major. Also a Z1 refresh is rumored.

It's major but it's not new since it's out in Japan. It's that Z1 refresh that has me interested though.

Nothing is ever released at CES, it's just previews for phones with launch dates months away. If you want a new phone, Thanksgiving/Christmas is the best time to buy
Xperia Z was debuted at this year's CES

If they have a Z1 refresh then I'm assuming it will come out around the end of February like the Z. Releasing before the HTC One and S4 was a good strategy and I can see them doing it again if the Z1 refresh exists.

Top Bottom