• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo now believes all 3 billion of its accounts affected by 2013 breach

Oersted

Yahoo's massive data breach revealed last year affected all of its 3 billion accounts, the company announced on Tuesday, triple the number that it had said were impacted when it revealed the breach last year.

After Yahoo was purchased by Verizon this year, it was rebranded as Oath. Oath announced that it would be notifying all of the additional users impacted by the breach.

"Our investment in Yahoo is allowing that team to continue to take significant steps to enhance their security, as well as benefit from Verizon's experience and resources," said Chandra McMahon, Verizon's head of information security.

Oath did not specify what information was at risk for the users it now believes were a part of the breach, but said that hackers did not steal passwords, credit card numbers or bank account information.

More here

http://thehill.com/policy/technolog...ion-of-its-accounts-were-affected-by-2013?amp

Lock if old

AfricanKing

I'll let the hackers have my email account just this once i made when I was 12 to chat to girls on the interwebs

That's 3 billion accounts that users had long forgotten the passwords to.

I still use mine as my non important burner email account I am OK giving out.

Also because I cant change my PSN account from it since my gmail and my PSN names are too close and apparently that is against Sonys rules because FUCK YOU.

Yahoo stays losing. I'm glad that I only used that account when I was a teen and have a unique password for all of my different accounts. I highly recommend LastPass or something like it if you don't have a password manager.

kswiston

Yahoo sent me a notice that I needed to update my Yahoo password for my email account there.

I had forgotten that I even had a yahoo account.

I'm pretty sure that I will live if people got a hold of my geocities registration emails or something.

Slayven

Yahoo sent me a notice that I needed to update my Yahoo password for my email account there.

I had forgotten that I even had a yahoo account.

I'm pretty sure that I will live if people got a hold of my geocities registration emails or something.

But people might steal your dancing baby gif, midi of the X-men theme song, and guestbook

And the Frames, oh god the Frames

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
It's wise to close unused email accounts, I shuttered my few Yahoo emails a few years back when I fully migrated to Gmail.

Saganator

I just tried to log into my really old Yahoo account but it was deactivated for never using it :( Was really wanting to look at my spam from 1999 :(

Linkura

everyone-gif-4.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
I think that was back when I had a street fire account and god.....what else do I use yahoo for lol

Forgot my info so they can have it

Ozigizo

I think I had like 100 abandoned yahoo addresses. I used them for free mp3 downloads waaaay back in the day.

This doesn't affect me nearly as much as most other breaches because my Yahoo accounts were old, inactive, with nothing important on them. Yahoo has been a Fantasy Football website for me for years, but my accounts have always used random passwords.

norm9

Lol. Maybe a hacker will be better to deal with in trying to retrieve my locked yahoo fantasy email. Yahoo is no help.

Steejee

Jokes on them, all my important mail goes through Lycos.

Security through Obscurity

That made me laugh way too hard because I worked at Lycos for 5 years (2010-2015) and was familiar with the mail system. It was actually pretty popular still, people reallllly don't like changing email addresses.

As for Yahoo, sigh. Honestly people, just presume at this point that anything you put into a form on the internet will be for sale on the dark web at some point. Makes decision making simpler.

norm9

As for Yahoo, sigh. Honestly people, just presume at this point that anything you put into a form on the internet will be for sale on the dark web at some point. Makes decision making simpler.

Pretty much. Don't put anything out there you won't stand or will be embarassing to stand behind.

prgrs

Neo Member
Also because I cant change my PSN account from it since my gmail and my PSN names are too close and apparently that is against Sonys rules because FUCK YOU.

Can be circumvented with the plus sign trick and adding some random text after your email user name.

For example, if you have funkystudent at gmail.com, you can use funkystudent+playstation at gmail.com to sign in to your 'funkystudent' PSN account. Gmail ignores anything after a plus sign.

LQX

Meh, only thing I use Yahoo for is fantasy football and my season is going terriblle so hopefully whoever has my account can help me turn things around.

5taquitos

Can be circumvented with the plus sign trick and adding some random text after your email user name.

For example, if you have funkystudent at gmail.com, you can use funkystudent+playstation at gmail.com to sign in to your 'funkystudent' PSN account. Gmail ignores anything after a plus sign.
This also helps keep your PSN login safe when your email gets dumped from some other random leak. They may know your Gmail and have guessed your password, but they don't have your +extension that you use only for PSN.

plz turn on 2 factor for your PSN account

Slayven

That made me laugh way too hard because I worked at Lycos for 5 years (2010-2015) and was familiar with the mail system. It was actually pretty popular still, people reallllly don't like changing email addresses.

You got out before they became a fitbit competitor

I use to do tech support for a couple of ISPs, people would fight you about an email address. So many people requested to keep their email address after dropping the service one of the ISPs started a service where you could keep it no matter what for 15 bucks a month. Had to be an amazing hustle.

Top Bottom