• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Ok so they've gone with the whole making the music sound dopey on purpose thing. You know, it's so bad it's good. However.. I'm not sure if it's worked. I have such mixed feelings. It feels it might need to be a *little* better to make it into the so bad it's good category. I think the title screen music for example almost manages this. Almost, but not quite. I see what they tried to do but I don't think they should get away with it. I don't feel it's good enough.

My copy has just arrived. I've played through the first four levels so far and I'm really liking it. The first level is boring, but so was the first level in Mario 3D World. The third level is properly good :)

MrBadger

Welp, I caved in and bought it. I just defeated Mara in the first castle, so here are my impressions thus far:

Visuals look a lot nicer on the screen than in screenshots. Seeing it anywhere but on the 3DS screen doesn't really do it justice. Game's no Yoshi's Island, but it's not a complete eyesore. Still wish the in-game artstyle matched the lovely boxart though.

Yoshi feels a bit heavier in this game than he did in YI1 and DS and it takes him longer to perform specific actions because of his new animations. I also found jumping a little unresponsive when I started, but I think I'm used to it now. The game controls fine over all.

It's just the first world, but I found the vehicle sections really boring. Maybe they'll pick up later on.

Aside from anything with a kazoo, the music is fine. It's not all that exciting, but some arrangements of the theme are pleasant. The boss theme is also pretty cool.

Over all, I'm having fun. But there's nothing compelling me to just plough through it in the same manner as Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze. In fact that pitiful mine cart made me sort of wish I was playing that game.

Kinsei

Banned
Some impressions now that I've finished the first world 100%.

The art style is growing on me. I went in to the game expecting to hate it, but it's not that bad. Maybe screens and videos blown up on a computer monitor just don't do the game justice. I still greatly prefer the child's crayon drawing style that the original had, but this style isn't bad.

The music is a mixed bag so far. There are some really nice tracks like the castle theme and the score tally theme that plays after you beat a boss but there are also really bad tracks like the one that plays during vehicle sections. Overall it hasn't made me want to mute my 3DS yet so it's not too bad.

Now for the most important part of any game, the gameplay. Yoshi controls differently than he does in the original so that took me a while to get used to. I'm ashamed to admit that I actually got hit in Small Eggs, Big Eggs. He doesn't control worse, just differently so it's not a flaw in my eyes. As for difficulty, it's really easy if you just go from start to finish without trying to get 100%. So far everything has been hidden fairly. Even the items that had me scouring a level multiple times didn't feel unfairly placed. The vehicle sections on the other hand are bland. They're neat and fun to control but they don't have much to keep you engaged. The vehicle challenge level does give me hope for future vehicle sections though. The introduction of the booster panels could really liven them up. For the secret levels it seems like Arzest has taken inspiration from the K levels in Retro's Donkey Kong games. The first one reminded me of 5-K from Tropical Freeze as I was playing it. This is a very good thing.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and think the game is worth the money. I honestly have no idea how someone could rate this a 4/10 or 5/10, but y'know opinions and all that.

Is anyone else having trouble getting used to the fact that you don't need to get everything in one run anymore? I got hit fighting the boss of 1-8 and then proceeded to recollect everything while replaying the level because that's the way it worked in past games.

javac

My copy has just arrived. I've played through the first four levels so far and I'm really liking it. The first level is boring, but so was the first level in Mario 3D World. The third level is properly good :)

I guess I'm easily pleased. 3d world was consistent in its quality throughout its entirety. If you're talking about difficultly
that was consistent until after the game was finished
but I digress.

Nintendo game criticism is funny, because with every title we always seem to be like, "I want this series to be completely different, but it should be exactly the same!"

Zing

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble getting used to the fact that you don't need to get everything in one run anymore? I got hit fighting the boss of 1-8 and then proceeded to recollect everything while replaying the level because that's the way it worked in past games.
Yes, it feels like cheating. I also wish they didn't replace the red coins with regular coins on repeat plays.

maxcriden

Yes, it feels like cheating. I also wish they didn't replace the red coins with regular coins on repeat plays.

Ooh, that's really weird. I haven't really replayed any levels yet so I didn't realize they did that. I was hoping to 100% each level in one go each when I replay the levels.

...Wait, okay, I think that's only if you actually got all the red coins in a level already. I just went back to 1-1, where I had not gotten all of the red coins, and they were all still there to collect and my counter was 0/20. So if you want to replay the levels and collect everything in one run of a level, for that extra challenge, make sure to not get more than 19/20 red coins in your initial playthrough (which in my experience is pretty doable since the red coins are tricky to get every single one of if you're not looking for them.

That is good to know, though, I will make sure I'm not getting all of the red coins in a level because I would like the replays to be as challenging as possible.

As much as I've warmed up to the graphics one thing early on that really bugs me is the piranha plants look exactly like they do from NSMB series, right down to their animation, almost as if they just lifted the assets.

Can't get anything in one run anymore? Not sure I understand. But I've always used checkpoints and only start over and replay a stage for 100% if I lose too many stars or am missing something after the last one.

Camjo-Z

Technically the red coins are still there in replays, they just don't show up as such. Instead you get 5 coins from them and the animation changes to a bunch of coins coming out. The bottom screen still counts them as red coins.

Kinsei

Banned
Ooh, that's really weird. I haven't really replayed any levels yet so I didn't realize they did that. I was hoping to 100% each level in one go each when I replay the levels.

...Wait, okay, I think that's only if you actually got all the red coins in a level already. I just went back to 1-1, where I had not gotten all of the red coins, and they were all still there to collect and my counter was 0/20. So if you want to replay the levels and collect everything in one run of a level, for that extra challenge, make sure to not get more than 19/20 red coins in your initial playthrough (which in my experience is pretty doable since the red coins are tricky to get every single one of if you're not looking for them.

That is good to know, though, I will make sure I'm not getting all of the red coins in a level because I would like the replays to be as challenging as possible.

You can still collect the red coins again while replaying a level. The only difference is that after collecting them instead of turning red they'll give you 5 regular coins. The counter on the bottom screen still keeps track of them though so you can still tell if you got them all.

Can't get anything in one run anymore? Not sure I understand. But I've always used checkpoints and only start over and replay a stage for 100% if I lose too many stars or am missing something after the last one.

In Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS if you finished a stage with 29 stars, 20 red coins, and 5 flowers you'd have to recollect the coins and flowers again while playing through the stage to get 100%. In this game you'd just have to get 30 stars since the game remembers that you already go the coins and flowers.

Technically the red coins are still there in replays, they just don't show up as red coins. Instead you get 5 coins from them and the animation is a bunch of coins coming out.

So if you finish a stage with an incomplete score, it retains what you've already collected when you go back in?

maxcriden

Technically the red coins are still there in replays, they just don't show up as such. Instead you get 5 coins from them and the animation changes to a bunch of coins coming out. The bottom screen still counts them as red coins.

You can still collect the red coins again while replaying a level. The only difference is that after collecting them instead of turning red they'll give you 5 regular coins. The counter on the bottom screen still keeps track of them though so you can still tell if you got them all.

In Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS if you finished a stage with 29 stars, 20 red coins, and 5 flowers you'd have to recollect the coins and flowers again while playing through the stage to get 100%. In this game you'd just have to get 30 stars since the game remembers that you already go the coins and flowers.

Thanks for the clarification, guys! :)

Kinsei

Banned
So if you finish a stage with an incomplete score, it retains what you've already collected when you go back in?

Only if you completed that category. If you finish a level with 19 red coins you have to collect all 20 the next time you play it, but if you got all 20 red coins and no flowers you'd only have to collect the flowers when you replayed the level.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I got the game today and my thoughts is that the game is fine and quite fun to play but the camera is too zoomed in causing me to make many blind jump.

Also does anyone else feel that Baby Mario should have been kidnapped and Baby Luigi has to unwilling team up with Yoshi to save Baby Mario?

Thanks to those who answered my question. I'll have to be careful not finish stages from now in unless I have everything. Seriously, just when Artoon/Arzest is about make me like them they go and do something moronic like this. Or maybe it was a poor decision by Tezuka.

Also, if there's one thing I hope gets noticed from the data collection/feedback sent from the game is countless thousands of users such as myself IMMEDIATELY switching the stupid default control scheme this game has to the proper SNES set up. Seriously, I'd like to slap whoever it is at Nintendo who thinks people should be forced to jump with the A button on a B, A, Y, X button set up. Thank goodness M2 gave us button customization for Wii U VC.

Anyways, no more griping, still liking the game a lot.

culafia

I really wonder how history is going to remember this game. I'm guessing it's going to maintain the same company of Yoshi's Island DS, with a few thinking its way better and a few thinking it's way worse.

Kinsei

Banned
That feeling when you reach the boss door only to realize that you're missing two red coins. Thankfully I found them on my second trek through the level... along with the flowers again because it's too ingrained in my system to collect them.

So I got the game today and my thoughts is that the game is fine and quite fun to play but the camera is too zoomed in causing me to make many blind jump.

Also does anyone else feel that Baby Mario should have been kidnapped and Baby Luigi has to unwilling team up with Yoshi to save Baby Mario?

Don't forget you can suck to lower the camera before making a leap of faith. It's not the greatest but it can help.

Yes, that would have been great.

maxcriden

It'd be an awesome capper to the Year of Luigi, but unfortunately as silly as this is going to sound it probably wouldn't sell as well.

Thanks to those who answered my question. I'll have to be careful not finish stages from now in unless I have everything. Seriously, just when Artoon/Arzest is about make me like them they go and do something moronic like this. Or maybe it was a poor decision by Tezuka.

FWIW I'm not a fan of this design decision either but it's no different than puzzle pieces being permanently collected in DKCR/TF. I don't think it's inherently good or bad, just not ideal for those of us with certain playstyles.

MrBadger

So how are people finding this in comparison to Yoshi's Island DS?

I'll say I like the visuals a bit more here. There just seems to be more focus, whereas YIDS almost felt like a fangame with its art direction. Some entirely new sprites (Yoshi, Shy guys, etc), some recycled ones (Baby Bowser) and some that were just lifted from other games and don't really match the rest of the artstyle (Adult Bowser). The artstyle's grown on me a bit in New Island.

YIDS has better boss fights though. It does cheap out with the transformation animations, but I thought there were some fun and interesting ones in DS, like Moltz the Very Goony and Bungee Piranha. In new island, always fighting Kamek as the miniboss gets a bit repetitive, even though the cleverest fights in the game are probably against him, and the big bosses go down a little too easily and are kind of slow paced.

I am preferring the level design in New Island at the moment, but I might need to go back to DS for a second opinion. The baby swapping did mess with the flow a little bit in that game.

I'm not sure on music. Both aren't anything exciting, but I kind of think the main theme in DS lends itself to remixes a little better. I'm getting pretty sick of the music in New Island, even though there are a few nice remixes. New Island has a better castle theme though. Then again, DS doesn't have any bastard kazoos.

Really enjoying this now. I've almost done 100% of the first world, just missing stuff from the last castle. I assume that
the locked door at the beginning of the castle is for later? Or if not, where can I find the key?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I really wonder how history is going to remember this game. I'm guessing it's going to maintain the same company of Yoshi's Island DS, with a few thinking its way better and a few thinking it's way worse.

After those 4/10 reviews, sadly, history will remember it as a horrible game, because most people will have never played it.

matthwq

Banned
After finishing the first world, my initial impressions are kinda waning. It's fun, but it's just kinda... there.

One thing that helps is turning down the music completely and listening to something else. I also still really enjoy the art, a lot. I think it's a pretty game.

Kinsei

Banned
Oh man 2-S is brutal. There are only 20 stars in the level, and there is no place to ricochet your eggs to get extra ones. That combined with the fact that it is an on rails level makes getting 100% on it really difficult. I think I killed myself at least 10 times on it because I had missed a star or red coin.

I'm guessing reviewers who claimed this game is too easy didn't go for 100%.

matthwq

Banned
Playing this game and posting about it on the Internet is a strange feeling. This thread is the least busy new release thread I've posted in on NeoGAF in a long time. Feels like I'm playing with maybe three other people, and everyone outside of a diehard or two is shrugging, thinking "yeah, it's all right."

Or maybe it's Saturday night and everyone is actually doing something worthwhile as I'm playing Yoshi's New Island. Who the fuck knows.

~*~ANYWAY~*~, I actually wanted to post one thing fer real: the aiming reticule starts way too late in comparison to the other YI games. The little delay has cost me quite a few eggs. Kinda annoying.

Camjo-Z

Really enjoying this now. I've almost done 100% of the first world, just missing stuff from the last castle. I assume that
the locked door at the beginning of the castle is for later? Or if not, where can I find the key?

Try jumping straight up on the third Countdown Platform on the bottom row.

Bog

Junior Ace
After finishing the first world, my initial impressions are kinda waning. It's fun, but it's just kinda... there.

That sums up my feelings on Super Princess Peach. But in the end I'm glad I played it. I'll probably get this in a few weeks.

matthwq

Banned
That sums up my feelings on Super Princess Peach. But in the end I'm glad I played it. I'll probably get this in a few weeks.

Actually, that's a pretty apt comparison. This game gives me verrrry similar feelings, and I really enjoyed SPP in the end as well. (Still do.) Hope that happens again.

In terms of the series, I'm pretty certain as I'm only one world in that this will never ever be as good as the original, but it's still better than Yoshi's Island DS.

Lijik

Playing this game and posting about it on the Internet is a strange feeling. This thread is the least busy new release thread I've posted in on NeoGAF in a long time. Feels like I'm playing with maybe three other people, and everyone outside of a diehard or two is shrugging, thinking "yeah, it's all right."

I've been keeping my eye on impressions throughout the day. Want to see what gaf thinks of the later worlds before I commit to a purchase

RM8

I'm not a Yoshi "diehard" - I haven't finished the SNES, 64 or DS games, lol. Maybe because I hold no nostalgia for Yoshi's Island I'm enjoying this so much for what it is. I think it's a very good platformer.

maxcriden

Okay, I've played up through 2-4 so I thought this would be a good time to offer up some impressions on the game so far.

I should mention I'm playing in 2D using the default controls and the circle pad as my movement input. I tried the d-pad but I don't find the d-pad on the OG 3DS to be super comfortable and based on where it's positioned on the console I usually stick to the circle pad if possible. I also pretty much always play games in 2D, but I did try a few moments in 3D, in one of the cave levels, enough to get a sense of what 3D is like in the game. And, to be honest, I wasn't really a fan of it. In a game like Super Mario 3D Land I was really impressed with the use of 3D and how it affects the viewing space and angle. Same with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. In this game I think the 3D is used pretty much "correctly" in terms of how it would be applied to a game like this, but I don't think it adds much to the experience and there's a bit of a wonky look to the layers of the foreground and background in terms of what matches up with what. It's hard to explain I guess, but it just doesn't really work for me. I'm not a big 3D fan to begin with, though, so it doesn't bother me at all to prefer to play in 2D.

Okay, onto the actual game. I should say the music isn't bothering me. I find it charming. The game aesthetic including on the aural side of things is very reminiscent of Yoshi's Story just as much as it is of Yoshi's Island. It's kinda somewhere in between, and I like that. I have a bit of a soft spot for the sheer endearing strangeness of Yoshi's Story so this makes me a bit nostalgic for that game. I haven't noticed the fort/castle music much yet but I think I like what I vaguely remember of it. It hasn't made much of an impression. I guess to be honest I have to say the same about much of World 1. The first World in this game really feels much like a remake of the original YI. I love YI so I don't mind this, but it does feel like a bit of a retread and not its own thing. It didn't really carve its own identity out much in the first world, apart from the giant/metal eggs and the new transformations, both of which are just alright in the first World.

On the bright side, the game, to me, is eminently playable. I do notice slight differences in control and animation speed versus the original, but they don't bother me and I feel like I'm pretty used to them already. The game looks terrific in motion, especially in 2D as I said above. So while the first World wasn't the most remarkable, it was plenty fun in terms of the actual gameplay. The second World is already shaping up to be a significant improvement for me. Some mild spoilers from this point on, but no tags because I don't think these are particularly extreme. First, the "challenge rooms" in World 2 with the fake Yoshis are very clever and just the kind of innovation I was looking for. Figuring out how to trick Foshi (© maxcriden 2014 all rights reserved come at me my beloved Nintendo) gets increasingly complicated and I would like to see more of this, or more like this, in the game.

Okay, now I want to talk about World 2-4, by far my favorite so far in the game. This is the introduction of Boos in this game and like some on GAF I was a bit concerned that the Boos in this game are modeled after the more traditional modern NSMB/SM64 Boos rather than the classic hand-painted Boos from the original Yoshi's Island. But like much of this game, in practice this works a lot better and more smoothly than in a screenshot. This level is just good old Yoshi platforming fun. You've got Boos you have to face the opposite direction from and these awesome new Replacer Ghost Guys, who not only hop on your back replacing Baby Mario, but force you to use inverse controls to make your way back to him. Then you've got the typical Yoshi floor ghosts, and when you're navigating around all three of these enemies, you've got yourself some fun. Plus, fighting Kamek at the end of this level cemented his boss fights as (a) thankfully different in each iteration and (b) pretty darn fun and clever.

So far, the game's an 8.6/10 for me, with definite room to grow. I'm looking forward to replaying these levels for 100% completion and sooner still, seeing the rest of the main levels the game has to offer.

matthwq

Banned
I'm not a Yoshi "diehard" - I haven't finished the SNES, 64 or DS games, lol. Maybe because I hold no nostalgia for Yoshi's Island I'm enjoying this so much for what it is. I think it's a very good platformer.

Yeah, maybe I should have phrased it differently. I'm probably actually a diehard YI fan, considering I think the original is one of (or) the best game(s) ever, and was looking everywhere for YIDS on its release day (which in turn was a let down). I wasn't thinking about gamers who had not played the original Yoshi's Island before. I can see someone who hasn't enjoying this game a lot, as it mirrors the ingenuity of the original pretty well outside of music.

I guess to be honest I have to say the same about much of World 1. The first World in this game really feels much like a remake of the original YI. I love YI so I don't mind this, but it does feel like a bit of a retread and not its own thing. It didn't really carve its own identity out much in the first world, apart from the giant/metal eggs and the new transformations, both of which are just alright in the first World.

On the bright side, the game, to me, is eminently playable. I do notice slight differences in control and animation speed versus the original, but they don't bother me and I feel like I'm pretty used to them already. The game looks terrific in motion, especially in 2D as I said above. So while the first World wasn't the most remarkable, it was plenty fun in terms of the actual gameplay.

Feel pretty much the same. There's nothing at all inherently wrong with the game, and the visual aspect of it is incredible in my opinion. It looks really, really nice, up there with the original in its own way. But so far, the game is prompting not much of a reaction from me. I'm glad to hear you feel the second world improves things a bit.

maxcriden

]Feel pretty much the same. There's nothing at all inherently wrong with the game, and the visual aspect of it is incredible in my opinion. It looks really, really nice, up there with the original in its own way. But so far, the game is prompting not much of a reaction from me. I'm glad to hear you feel the second world improves things a bit.

I really do. The game seems like it's taking a considerable step in the right direction in this world, things are just clicking into place really well now.

daydream

Banned
Okay, I've played up through 2-4 so I thought this would be a good time to offer up some impressions on the game so far.

Thanks for these! I'm still torn between getting eShop credit to catch up on new releases (Weapon Shop de Omasse, Pokemon Link Battle, Tappingo) and Yoshi, and you're not making my decision any easier. :p

maxcriden

Handy to know you can speed up the egg aiming in the Options Menu!

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for this!

Thanks for these! I'm still torn between getting eShop credit to catch up on new releases (Weapon Shop de Omasse, Pokemon Link Battle, Tappingo) and Yoshi, and you're not making my decision any easier. :p

Haha, it sounds like you just need to see what you're more in the mood for. Those games are going to offer more bite-sized on the go experiences, whereas YNI is a full fledged game. If you don't mind a physical edition, YNI will probably be at least $10 cheaper in the B/S/T thread within a month or so, OTOH there are pretty good eShop sales pretty regularly.

Camjo-Z

I decided to try a few of the 2-player minigames with my brother, we played the balloon popping one first. It was intense battle of stealing eggs and seeing who could trick the other into hitting the countdown balloon just enough so they'd get the last hit...

...and then the results screen came and we realized it was supposed to be a co-op game.

Just finished the 2nd world. I was ready to be majorly disappointed with this game but I'm not. Music aside, everything feels pretty great to me. It's not as good as the original but it is certainly not a 4/10.

MrBadger

Having finished world 6, it was driving me mad how the final non-castle level was still playing that relaxing music from the first trailer. I liked the final boss.
Giant Space Bowser from Nowhere
was an enjoyable fight.

Alrighty, now to try and go for 100%. Without collecting all the stuff, this game is easy and over quickly, but it's so much more enjoyable when you hunt stuff out. You can tell which reviewers ignored the collectables.

maxcriden

On 2-8, still diggin' it. Last few levels haven't been terribly exciting but they have been fun. I've also felt like a bunch of levels have been over sooner than I expected. I realize there's no way the levels are as long as the super long levels in Yoshi's Island DS, but does anyone else feel like they're a tad shorter than in the original YI as well?

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished world 3 100% so I figured I'd post some more impressions now that I'm halfway through the game.

I'm really enjoying the art style now. Some of the swamp levels in world 3 look beautiful with the colorful foreground contrasted with the black and white background. The enemies also look great. Just take a look at the lunge fish.

zlCfzRolre8SQyDCOC

Doesn't he look great?

The music is still a mixed bag. There are some great tracks like the castle them and the world 4 map theme, but overall I'd say it is mediocre. Just because a song is slow and peaceful doesn't mean it has to be boring.

The gameplay has been constantly improving since the start of the game. World 2 is better than world 1 and world 3 is better than world 2. The game has a great difficulty curve. It's still really easy overall but it has a clear progression of difficulty that I think is great for kids, just like the original YI. Going for 100% is naturally a lot harder, and the secret levels are quite tough, not Tropical Freeze difficulty but they're still a nice challenge. I think this is a great way to give more experienced gamers a challenge.

The new eggdozer isn't that great honestly, it's just a giant egg that destroys certain walls. I haven't come across any clever puzzles that use it, all I've had to do with it so far is aim at a path of coins and fire. The metal eggdozer on the other hand is a lot of fun. On land it acts like a koopa shell, traveling along the ground destroying everything that gets in its way. The fun here comes from the fact that you need to keep up with it as it's rolling. Taking an alternate path with some platforming trying to keep up with it as it's rolling over spikes is quite fun. Now the best thing about them is the fact that they weigh you down, allowing you to travel under water. Yoshi's physics underwater are really good, and the lack of eggs and the ability to use your tongue leads to some nice platforming challenges.

The Yoshi clone puzzles are fun, but they've only appeared in a single level so far. It's great that the developers didn't feel the need to shoehorn gimmicks into every level but I would have preferred that at least one level in world 3 had some doppelgangers.

The secrets so far have been well hidden, and most importantly fairly hidden. For a game with as many secrets as this game that is no small feat. Every time I've missed something in a level I've never felt that it is because the game placed them in an area that I would have had no idea existed without some kind of guide. Now this doesn't mean they're easy to find, far from it, and sometimes finding them isn't even the hardest part.

Overall this game is shaping up to be a solid 7/10 or 8/10 for me so far. Not the greatest 2D platformer ever, but it's still a great game and the best 2D platformer I've played on the system (Not counting DKCR3D because it's a port of a Wii game). If you're on the fence I say you should buy it.

I'll post a full review after I finish the game completely.

Kinsei

Banned
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want this in with my impressions post.

On 2-8, still diggin' it. Last few levels haven't been terribly exciting but they have been fun. I've also felt like a bunch of levels have been over sooner than I expected. I realize there's no way the levels are as long as the super long levels in Yoshi's Island DS, but does anyone else feel like they're a tad shorter than in the original YI as well?

You said you're not going for 100% until you've beaten it, right? Some of the levels have been super short if you're just going from start to finish (I'm pretty sure 3-3 would only take someone around a minute) but going for 100% greatly increases the length of the levels.

R0ckman

The game really is a play on nostalgia more than anything. If the music wasn't shit it would be a very decent game overall. It flirts with your childhood for a nice modest enjoyable experience.

Top Bottom