• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Alrighty, now to try and go for 100%. Without collecting all the stuff, this game is easy and over quickly, but it's so much more enjoyable when you hunt stuff out. You can tell which reviewers ignored the collectables.

Definitely. Gamexplain's review really hit that nail on the head--the game's about exploration. If you play it as a straight-platformer, you're missing out

This game looks fine, but it's not ok. The boulders look kinda odd and the 'jumping into a pipe' animation is kinda bad in 3D.

The dumb thing is that theres no indication on the overworld map that you got all the items in the same run.

There's a little pink stamp at the tally screen when you do, but that's not enough.

The dot on the map should be blue if they were collected on different runs and pink if they were collected on the same run.

maxcriden

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want this in with my impressions post.

You said you're not going for 100% until you've beaten it, right? Some of the levels have been super short if you're just going from start to finish (I'm pretty sure 3-3 would only take someone around a minute) but going for 100% greatly increases the length of the levels.

Oh yeah, I have no doubt. And yep, you're remembering correctly! This is my general playstyle to make each game last as long as possible. :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Definitely. Gamexplain's review really hit that nail on the head--the game's about exploration. If you play it as a straight-platformer, you're missing out

Everyone remotely interested in this game or even reviewing this game should be aware of this. Yoshi's Island - since the very first game - has always been all about a complete collection. Just rushing through the levels is ignoring the level design.

I'm liking it a lot but man, collecting things sometimes is still frustrating, whoever designed level 4-6 didn't play the first Yoshi's Island at all! What was that???

maxcriden

Iwata: Then what do you think went right with this game?

Kobayashi: It is hard for me to think of any examples. But the game is playable start to finish.

Ohshima: I can think of another one. We wanted to have the music of this game match the quality of the game.

Iwata: I do not think it would be quite a stretch to say that the music is the strongest part of the game. So would you say that Yoshi’s New Island is a true successor to the original game?

Ohshima: The one on the DS, correct?

Iwata: No, the one before that.

Ohshima: This is the first time I have heard of a Yoshi game before the DS one.

Iwata: (laughs)

This is hilarious --and-- probably proves they read this thread. I do find that site hilarious, though. Here's my fave:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of-gamers-today-cant-finish-level-1-in-super-mario-bros/

maxcriden

Apologies for the double post, but I'm playing through 3-4 and I just want to say more than ever, having relatively recently played the original YI for the first time, I am convinced this game started out as a 3DS remake of Yoshi's Island. The similarities are just too consistent for me to think otherwise. This is a very fun game and different enough from YI to be its own thing, but only by a relatively small margin compared to most other 2D platformer sequels.

I agree, there are definitely some parts that are straight out of YI. The buckets in the first castle come to mind, and the beans are pretty much mini Burt the Bashfuls.

Yoshi

Yeah, many level elements were reused, but this doesn't make it a (part) remake, that's pretty standard, even in games like dkctf. However, YNI is probably one of the games that stays closest to its predecessor.

maxcriden

Yeah, many level elements were reused, but this doesn't make it a (part) remake, that's pretty standard, even in games like dkctf. However, YNI is probably one of the games that stays closest to its predecessor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really digging the game. But it's the way that many levels feel very similar to their 1:1 counterparts in the original that makes me think this.

Kinsei

Banned
Oh man, in terms of difficulty 4-S feels like it could have been a K level in Tropical Freeze. I'm so satisfied that I was able to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really digging the game. But it's the way that many levels feel very similar to their 1:1 counterparts in the original that makes me think this.

I've noticed that too, however I prefer to think of it as an homage to the original rather than the game starting out as a remake.

maxcriden

Oh man, in terms of difficulty 4-S feels like it could have been a K level in Tropical Freeze. I'm so satisfied that I was able to do it.

I've noticed that too, however I prefer to think of it as an homage to the original rather than the game starting out as a remake.

Congrats on beating these S levels, they really sound like quite a challenge. I'm looking forward to them--and definitely looking forward to the K levels in TF, those are the last we've yet to play
apart from World 7
so I'm eager to try them very soon!

As for the remake vs. homage question, it could be just be an homage, but if it is, it's a very direct one. FWIW I think of NSMB Wii as an homage to the original SMB, and this is much more of a direct homage than that is.

SCReuter

Thanks for transcribing the credits, Hero of Legend.

It looks like only three people from Yoshi's Island DS's Artoon team worked on Yoshi's New Island. The other 34 or so Arzest employees are new to the series.

Edit: The three former Artoon developers are Naoto Ohshima (Development Producer), Koki Mogi (Field Design), and Yuki Hatakeyama (Lead Programming). Another former Artoon employee, Masahide Kobayashi (Director), worked on Yoshi Topsy Turvy and New Island but not Island DS.

Dinskugga

How hard is the game when you compare to Yoshi Island DS ( if you gonna get 100% on all the levels )

Yoshi Island Ds is isane. I have not beaten 100% on all the levels in that game. some levels are brutal. and the baby coins in that game is so hard to get.

maxcriden

How hard is the game when you compare to Yoshi Island DS ( if you gonna get 100% on all the levels )

Yoshi Island Ds is isane. I have not beaten 100% on all the levels in that game. some levels are brutal. and the baby coins in that game is so hard to get.

My impression is that to 100% this game is slightly easier than YI, and significantly easier than in the DS sequel. I'm only on 3-4, though.

Kinsei

Banned

It's much easier to 100% than YIDS. Not only were the levels in that game too long, in a lot of them it felt like you had to know the level before you could get 100%, and don't even get me started on how cheap and stupid the secret levels were.

Dinskugga

My impression is that to 100% this game is slightly easier than YI, and significantly easier than in the DS sequel. I'm only on 3-4, though.

It's much easier to 100% than YIDS. Not only were the levels in that game too long, in a lot of them it felt like you had to know the level before you could get 100%, and don't even get me started on how cheap and stupid the secret levels were.

Okay thanks :) sounds like you can beat this game 100% atlest then hehe.

Yeah the secret levels IN YIDS was so annoying and ridicoulos hard. couldnt even finish the second or first secret level in that game.

Kinsei

Banned
The Kamek fight in world 5 actually required quick thinking and reaction time to beat without getting hit. That was a nice change compared to the other bosses, that while fun required almost no skill to dodge their attacks.

It seems that the flutter wings don't show up in the secret levels. I've now seen the flutter wings 3 times and I know I've died more on 2-S and 4-S than I did on those levels. The first time I saw them was in 4-6 trying to get all of the red coins near the end of the level, the second was in 4-8 trying to get the fifth flower, and the third was in 5-3 trying to get the fifth flower.

maxcriden

The Kamek fight in world 5 actually required quick thinking and reaction time to beat without getting hit. That was a nice change compared to the other bosses, that while fun required almost no skill to dodge their attacks.

It seems that the flutter wings don't show up in the secret levels. I've now seen the flutter wings 3 times and I know I've died more on 2-S and 4-S than I did on those levels. The first time I saw them was in 4-6 trying to get all of the red coins near the end of the level, the second was in 4-8 trying to get the fifth flower, and the third was in 5-3 trying to get the fifth flower.

That's tricky of them! As you know I'm not going for 100% yet so I've only seen them once, but I didn't use them because (a) it feels like Easy Mode to me and (b) I don't want to register as having used them and miss out on anything you get for not using them at all. I hope it's like the White Tanooki in 3DW where you're "punished" only for using them vs. for them showing up at all.

Bog

Junior Ace
Alrighty, now to try and go for 100%. Without collecting all the stuff, this game is easy and over quickly, but it's so much more enjoyable when you hunt stuff out. You can tell which reviewers ignored the collectables.

It's like the people who rush through the NSMB series' levels and cry about length/difficulty. You barely see what makes the level design so great when you aren't going after the coins.

maxcriden

No way. Yoshi's Story was great and, like many other games, a victim of its predecessor's success.

I really want to pick this game up on VC to experience it again. I really didn't appreciate it as a kid because it felt like it was for babies and I was a bit embarrassed playing it. I think I was like 10 when it came out so I was a bit self-conscious about the cutesy aesthetic. I also didn't understand the set-up of the game so it felt even shorter than it actually was. I love the OST now though, esp. the Baby Bowser lullaby and the beat box remix.

Kinsei

Banned
That's tricky of them! As you know I'm not going for 100% yet so I've only seen them once, but I didn't use them because (a) it feels like Easy Mode to me and (b) I don't want to register as having used them and miss out on anything you get for not using them at all. I hope it's like the White Tanooki in 3DW where you're "punished" only for using them vs. for them showing up at all.

Yeah, I didn't use them when they showed up. It kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game to use pity power-ups like the flutter wings, white tanooki, the super guide etc. Granted that's just my opinion, if someone wants to use them it's not like I'll think of them as a "lesser" gamer or anything like that.

maxcriden

Yeah, I didn't use them when they showed up. It kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game to use pity power-ups like the flutter wings, white tanooki, the super guide etc. Granted that's just my opinion, if someone wants to use them it's not like I'll think of them as a "lesser" gamer or anything like that.

I agree with you...mostly. I don't want to be a snob but to be 100% honest I should say I don't think less of someone as a gamer but I would think less of their skill with that particular level. Maybe that's terrible but I don't want to lie and say otherwise.

Lijik

No way. Yoshi's Story was great and, like many other games, a victim of its predecessor's success.

I loved it as well. Trying to go for all melons in a level is a nice challenge and forces you to explore the levels, and the level unlock system was interesting. Not as good as Yoshi's Island but still a fun game

EDIT- The S levels sound great, I think i'll pick this up on Tuesday

Bog

Junior Ace
Am I the only one here that liked Yoshi's Story a lot?

At the time it was released, it definitely wasn't all that well received among fans. It was seen as a children's game due to not only the aesthetics, but the difficulty/length. I think time has helped. I see a lot more people remembering it fondly now.

matthwq

Banned
Yoshi's Story was super meh. Melon quest is alright, but I'll even take YIDS and its blandness over YS any day of the week.

BowieZ

Banned
Seriously I could have done such a better job on the music for this. (And I would have done it for free.)

But then again almost anyone could have probably done a better job. Even the lazy remixes where they ripped the midi files sound so boring and flat.

Cryst

Made it halfway through 2-1 before quitting in frustration. Nothing feels right about the game. Yoshi feels too weighty. The camera has Yoshi so low in some sections that I can't even see where I'm landing (ex. 1-S). Trying to get all the collectibles is tedious and often infuriating when the weighty jump makes me miss a coin and I have to replay the entire level for it.

Gonna hold off on that new Kirby if this is the direction and amount of effort Nintendo is putting into their lineup. This game just isn't fun.

Found this for £20 and couldn't resist - if it's at least as fun as the DS one (which was a good game, just not as good as the masterpiece that is Yoshi's Island) then I'll be satisfied.

Could someone who digs the game give a brief explanation why?

Mael

Yoshi's Story was super meh. Melon quest is alright, but I'll even take YIDS and its blandness over YS any day of the week.

Remember that evening when you just picked up Yoshi Story and just after opening the box you discover the game....and finished it something like 20min later?
Yeah it wasn't meant to be like Yoshi Island but still some kind of warning would have been nice.

Made it halfway through 2-1 before quitting in frustration. Nothing feels right about the game. Yoshi feels too weighty. The camera has Yoshi so low in some sections that I can't even see where I'm landing (ex. 1-S). Trying to get all the collectibles is tedious and often infuriating when the weighty jump makes me miss a coin and I have to replay the entire level for it.

Gonna hold off on that new Kirby if this is the direction and amount of effort Nintendo is putting into their lineup. This game just isn't fun.

I wouldn't worry about Kirby. HAL is great. Arzest on the other hand doesn't exactly have a history of making great games.

Yoshi

Found this for £20 and couldn't resist - if it's at least as fun as the DS one (which was a good game, just not as good as the masterpiece that is Yoshi's Island) then I'll be satisfied.

Could someone who digs the game give a brief explanation why?

You know Yoshi's Island? This game takes the fantastic base gameplay of Yoshi's Island, adds some neat little ideas, like to metal egg or a Yoshi clone you have to kill (think Double Cherry), and builds a bunch of great new levels around that. Also, if you play at home, you can listen to DKCTF music while playing YNI ;).

matthwq

Banned
Remember that evening when you just picked up Yoshi Story and just after opening the box you discover the game....and finished it something like 20min later?
Yeah it wasn't meant to be like Yoshi Island but still some kind of warning would have been nice.

Hahah, exactly. I get that it's a different thing altogether, but this was THE game following the original Yoshi's Island. Outside of it being inferior technically (level design, music, art), the icing on the cake was definitely the lack of any real goal and length.

Time has been more kind to the game. Downloaded it on Virtual Console back when Nintendo actually did something for the service. It is fun, but in a different way from the YI games -- it's hard to explain. Kind of a "this is a mildly amusing time waster" sort of fun (but only with the melon quest).

Kinsei

Banned
I decided to play through the second half of world 5 before going to bed last night. Little did I know I was making a terrible mistake. Everything was going smoothly, I had died a few times on 5-7 but it wasn't hard, just me being stupid, then I reached 5-S. If you've played Tropical Freeze imagine a harder version of Bopopolis. I went in with 401 lives and came out with 361 lives, I know I gained a couple extra lives in the level so I know I died more than 40 times. After I finally managed to beat it I went to get a drink of water before brushing my teeth and noticed it was 3AM. I was suddenly very grateful that I'm only working from 1PM to 4:30 PM today. The thing was that even though I was dieing a ton I never thought of giving up. That is my way of determining if a level is cheap or not, if I rage quit it isn't well designed.

I'm both really looking forward to and dreading 6-S at the same time.

Mael

Hahah, exactly. I get that it's a different thing altogether, but this was THE game following the original Yoshi's Island. Outside of it being inferior technically (level design, music, art), the icing on the cake was definitely the lack of any real goal and length.

Time has been more kind to the game. Downloaded it on Virtual Console back when Nintendo actually did something for the service. It is fun, but in a different way from the YI games -- it's hard to explain. Kind of a "this is a mildly amusing time waster" sort of fun (but only with the melon quest).

Well I could be talking all week about what I like and hate about YS (seriously why no dpad control?). But on VC I remember the game being way better than the disappointment I felt when I 1rst played it on a n64.
I feel like that's how we should play the Yoshi games now, not as the sequel to the game we'll never get anything like (I'm still waiting on a 3D Yoshi's Island game with the gameplay from YI but not like Mario 64?*).
YIDS is seriously too hard to get any kind of fun from it.
YNI is more enjoyable on that front but the music is atrocious and the bosses are...meh, I'm on the second boss and well there's no tension.
I mean I can remember by heart all the bosses and sub bosses on YI.
Entirely because of how to beat them and the kind of over the top bosses they tried to do (a boss where the frog isn't affected by Kamek's magic beam, so you're eaten and you fight the frog from the inside, a boss that send you on the moon? Yes the freaking moon!).
Aside from that I feel like the game is nice for what it does but not what it really should do.
Again in YI (and YIDS) there's a big emphasis on the monsters you encounter (the museum in YIDS was a genius idea), I mean you even encounter monsters having karate moves and throwing energy balls!

We'll never get another Yoshi Island but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy what comes next....

* I get it now, I never did get how a 3D Yoshi Island could work if the level was limited like in the Galaxy games, it's because it doesn't (example see SMG2).
It needs to go back to Mario 64 and expend from there, Yoshi games are all about exploration and collecting stuffs (obstacle course be damned).
SImply jumping on foes is hard on a 3D plane and avoiding them is certainly the best course of action in most cases, so the tongue mechanic and throwing egg is simply perfect for that.
Heck foes can get agressive again since you have an effective tool to dispatch them, it solves so many problem at the same time!

MrBadger

Having basically spoiled all of Triple Deluxe for myself, that game looks really incredible and is packed to the brim of decent, new content. this game is a standalone issue and not a representation of Nintendo as a whole.

maxcriden

I decided to play through the second half of world 5 before going to bed last night. Little did I know I was making a terrible mistake. Everything was going smoothly, I had died a few times on 5-7 but it wasn't hard, just me being stupid, then I reached 5-S. If you've played Tropical Freeze imagine a harder version of Bopopolis. I went in with 401 lives and came out with 361 lives, I know I gained a couple extra lives in the level so I know I died more than 40 times. After I finally managed to beat it I went to get a drink of water before brushing my teeth and noticed it was 3AM. I was suddenly very grateful that I'm only working from 1PM to 4:30 PM today. The thing was that even though I was dieing a ton I never thought of giving up. That is my way of determining if a level is cheap or not, if I rage quit it isn't well designed.

I'm both really looking forward to and dreading 6-S at the same time.

Oh man, I am really looking forward to these S levels. Haha. I have a couple similar memories like you're describing with Land of the Livid Dead in Rayman Origins and especially the dreaded Dreadnought Purple Coins in SMG.

Top Bottom