• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You currently play one/some platforms, but not all. What would it take to play other platforms?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't worry about time factor. Assume you got enough time to play more systems.

Currently in the Xbox ecosystem with Series X, and I dabble with some $3 low end GOG/Steam oldies every once in a while which I wouldn't count as true PC gaming. To make me take a dip into other ecosystems:

Nintendo
- Beefier specs
- More big name third party games (probably goes hand in hand with specs). I want some EA Sports, COD and R* games
- Better online
- I don't care about the majority of first party games on any system, but could see myself playing 2D Mario games and goofing with Smash Bros even though I'm terrible at it at my nephew's place. It's truly amazing how much content the game has (characters and maps) vs. every other fighting game. Despite an eclectic cast of characters and move sets, it somehow works great
- First party games often at full price not an issue for me

Sony
- More key first party games that aren't SP games with tons of cinema clips
- More shooters to try like the PS3 days. Had a 360, but always wanted to try Resistance and KZ in detail. Played MAG at a buddy's place and the potential was there. It was decent. But probably one generation too early. KZ 3 was pretty good too. Never tried any Resistance games. Only went off videos, but was a cool mix of WWII and aliens
- Something similar to GP (like a PS Now Ultra tier)
- Better BC boosts like Xbox does

PC
- Since I spend $1000 every 6-7 years on a new mid range laptop, I don't see myself ever attempting solid PC gaming unless I open the wallet to spend what? $2000 cdn for a decent tower and monitor? More? I don't know. I don't follow scalped pricing for gpus. But whatever a good PC rig is in the US, add about 30% to the price to get cdn dollars. I don't even have a good monitor on me to carryover either
- I'm not the type of person to build my own PC, but I just skimmed Dell.ca. Towers with a good gpu (2070 Super and up?) start at about $2500 cdn. No monitor. Add a decent monitor and it'll be about $3000 + tax. About $3400. Since I already buy laptops for $1000, I'd need to pay an extra $2000+ as a substitute next time
- The types of laptops I buy is good for general usage, 17". But for any games needing some power it rots. I tried playing the Fantasy General II turn based demo, and it might had run the worst I've seen any game run in 20 years even when I turned down settings to low. That's what a normal laptop gets you

Pantz

Hmm I play 75% on my Series X and 25% on the rest.

Nintendo: Got a Switch Lite that I play when taking relatives to appointments and stuff. Other than that I'm still holding out for that Super Nintendo Switch since I've already held out for so long. I would play more if it was hooked to the TV for sure.

Sony: If it had PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, that would be cool. I don't mind if they even bring them out in small batches like Nintendo does, it would be better than nothing. Some kind of PS version of MS rewards points/quests would make the ecosystem more fun.

PC: It's always such a pain starting a game for the first time, if it even will start without some shady fan patch. Then figuring out how to configure settings to get the best visual quality. Wish this stuff worked better and was more automatic.

teezzy

Banned
I'm a PC/Xbox man

Switch would be more appealing to me if the games didn't retain their obnoxious $60 price point for years on end. I don't pay $60 for games... I'm sorry, Nintendo. Also all this Joy Con and forced hybrid handheld console nonsense does so little for me.

Playstation? Quit holding beloved third party franchises of mine like Final Fantasy hostage. That makes me want to buy your platform less, not more. Paying for online? Please

Ultimately, Steam has spoiled me. I can't go back

Graciaus

Sony and Microsoft haven't put out a 1st party game in years I've been interested in. I could find stuff on the Switch to play if I wanted. Will just stick to PC.

MilkyJoe

Nintendo - release a switch that is just a box, no screen, a decent controller and access to N64 games

PlayStation - lose the DS and hardon for third person games. Decent BC back to PS1.

Last edited:

cireza

I think that a Nintendo Switch TV (like the PS Vita TV) would be a good thing.

I spend most of my time on Xbox (Series X) and retro consoles. Switch Lite / PS Vita get some attention every now and then.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Xbox - I have a Xbox One but I'm not getting a Xbox Series X unless there's 7-10 offline SP games that catch my interest and they end up good

Nintendo - I love platformers so I'm glad PS5 has a few platformers early on and I think we'll be seeing more Astro games but Nintendo is lacking in tech for other genres IMO and I love my graphics

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything nintendo could do to tempt me. I hate small screen gaming and their first party games don't interest me at all. The only switch games I'd be interested in are also available, and play much better, on my Xbox.

If Sony had a decent controller and a Series S equivalent along with a PS gamepass then I'd give it a whirl.

Jokerevo

Banned
Xbox:High quality exclusives on Xsx....that aren't available on Pc... The last xbox I owned was the 360 and it only took one game to do that.

Nintendo: 4k power. Botw2. The first game was disappointing.

PlayStation: nothing. I'm already there.

PC: nothing. Already got one.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I play on PlayStation 5 and Switch pretty evenly. Sometimes I will break out a retro console, but pretty much only the Genesis or NES if I do. I still keep my PS4Pro in my office but rarely use it.

Xbox - I liked the 360 after they addressed the issues with the launch hardware. But I've yet to see anything worth owning an Xbox for since the 360 days. I loved the gears and halos from that era. It played multiplatform games much better than the ps5, but I always hated the 360 dpad. There is almost no chance I will ever buy a series x, but maybe one day I might buy a series s to play exclusives. That's only if PC part prices remain ludicrous.

PC - I've gamed on PC more than any other platform for decades but right before the launch of last gen I decided the parts were old enough that upgrades weren't enough and I needed to rebuild. So I gave the pieces away to friends. I have an insane backlog on steam/gog and would love to get back to PC if only GPUs would come back down to MSRP. At least then I could play all the Xbox exclusives.

ANIMAL1975

Money...
It would only take the financial freedom to do so and i would have all platforms, every gen (including gaming pc of course). As we say here in Portugal, C'est la vie...

if a platform has enough games i want to play to justify buying the hardware then i'll buy that platform. currently only playing games on PC.

Xbox

i'll get one if anything happens to my PC or maybe if i just feel like playing Flight Sim, Halo, Forza, etc on my TV. i could hook up my PC but it's a hassle.

PS5

currently would only buy it to play Demons Souls + Horizon 2 and to replay PS4 games. i'm gonna need 3-4 games to play straight away with promise of more interesting upcoming games. can't see that happening with PS5.

Switch

there's actually 4 games i'd buy if i bought a switch today:

botw (to replay)
mario 3d world
pokemon snap
hyrule warriors.

upcoming games i want:

skyward sword
pokemon arceus
botw2.

i'm waiting for those 3 remaining games to come out and for new hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raekwon26

Sony - More of the same. Keep them coming.

Nintendo - Love my Switch, recently started a retro series with my Gamecube..... don't know what else really.

PC - Casually play there but the amount of launchers is a bit off putting, still love it.

Xbox - No interest whatsoever atm. Nothing unique about them or makes them stand out to me.

TBiddy

Playstation - Time and availability.

PC - A new PC

Nintendo - Not going to happen. There's nothing on that platform that remotely interests me.

kyussman

I currently play on PlayStation....I'll be getting both PS5 and XSX this gen though as Microsoft have made enough moves to make their platform attractive to me now....Nintendo will remain irrelevant to me,they make great games but they just don't appeal to me at all.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Currently PS5 + PC.

Mostly PS5 nowadays because I refuse to spend months looking at discord bots so I can pay for a new graphics card or CPU, so I only play older multiplayer games with friends like Civ 6.
I'm not counting on this lasting forever though, and I have a Vega64 so it's not like I can't play games in my PC.

Xbox: for most people with a decent PC there's really no point IMO. I guess Gamepass on Xbox has more games, but from what I see I don't really want to play them.
For me to adopt a SeriesX it would take for the PC hardware market to continue being this shitshow for another year which would make me lose my patience, I guess.
I think looking at the next wave of Bethesda titles would be a good benchmark. If, by the time Starfield + Elder Scrolls 6 + Doom are out, I still can't find a way to do a major upgrade on my PC, then I might forget the PC and get a Xbox.

Nintendo: it would take for them to have better performing hardware and create better 3rd party relations. I don't want another "Mario+Zelda" console. After 3 home + 2 handheld Nintendo consoles I just can't play another Mario game.
Ideally, I'd much rather have a Sony or Microsoft handheld that ran 8th-gen titles.

FunkMiller

I have a Ps5 and a gaming laptop, so no need for an XBox, and Nintendo don't produce the kinds of games I'm interested in playing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If my pc explode and stores stop selling pc parts i guess buying an xbox is the only way to play multyplatform games.

Nintendo stopping with the fucking gimmicks, making actual good hardware and putting out exclusives that are not related to mario&co and that cost more than 5000 yen to make.

drganon

I'm already on the sony and Nintendo bandwagons. I keep thinking about getting a pc worth a damn but never get around to it. I used to like xbox, but they dont do much for me nowadays. Even with the acquisitions they've made, since getting a decent gaming pc would cover those as well.

Sony: This might sound funny but the only reason I haven't tried to track down a PS5 is because I know that monster won't fit inside my current desk/table under my tv. My XSX barely fits as it is, I have it sideways and its a tight fit. Once I get a new desk I'll look into getting a PS5 ASAP. I love Sony's exclusives.

Nintendo: Here I'm waiting for a beefier console with better specs. Maybe a proper Pokemon MMO and more games that appeal to me. Nintendo just needs a lot more 3rd party support before I commit, I still haven't forgotten the pain of having a Gamecube and not having a PS2. Damn my parents lol.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I play only on PC since 2013. To get me into other platforms it will be necessary to

Sony: add regional pricing and local currency to PSN. PSVR2 has to knock it out of the park (easy to use, wireless, great specs and BC with PSVR2 games). Way better BC solution including games from PS3 at least with resolution increase.

Nintendo: release more and different first party games. More powerful and more reliable hardware. Better software pricing. WAY better online.

Xbox; I guess if the PC HW market continues being a shit show in say 2023 I'll end up considering getting a series S at least. I'd love them to continue working on their BC program specially with OG Xbox games.

For the time being I am not in a hurry to upgrade my old FX/RX 580 rig. And if necessary I'll just do a platform upgrade and keep the GPU. Im fine as long as games run at 1080p. Maybe even at lower resolutions as long as I add some a sharpening and the UI is at native res.

Top Bottom