• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You ready for the John Wick Cinematic Universe?

Lionsgate is looking to pull a Cloverfield and retrofit an existing script into one set in the world of John Wick
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...wick-universe-ballerina-action-script-1024318
Lionsgate has won a bidding war to pick up a female-centric spec action script titled Ballerina that will serve as a platform for a possible John Wick spinoff.

Basil Iwanyk, whose Thunder Road banner is behind the hit Wick action franchise starring Keanu Reeves, will produce Ballerina.
Ballerina has been described as being in the vein of La Femme Nikita, the 1990 female-centric assassin movie that helped launch the career of filmmaker Luc Besson, but with a more pulpy, hyper-stylized bent a la Quentin Tarantino or Matthew Vaughn.

Details are being kept under the tutu, but the story is known to center on a young woman raised as an assassin who must hunt down the other assassins that murdered her family.

We're also getting a related TV show called The Continental
"It’s very tied to the film in that it’s about the Continentals all over the world, how certain people come into that world, and what happens in relation to those people, which is cool. I think the world is very vast, and everything I’ve heard from it is very positive. […] It’s something that studio seems very, very intent on [making] and very, very behind.”
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/jo...ves-prequel-the-continental-hotel-1201841666/

Dynomutt

Too bad Atomic Blonde could not be related would've been cool might have bolstered it. Curious to see which will ultimately be better. Maybe they can introduce assassin's that can curve bullets wink wink...

I actually think the Continental makes it incredibly easy to retrofit any script involving assassins into the John Wickiverse. So yeah, sure. Fuck me up, fam.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
yeah let's drive it straight into the ground. explain every tiny detail from the first film in increasingly shitty sequels and spinoffs. mythologise that basic action film.

J_Viper

I'm down

Too bad Atomic Blonde could not be related would've been cool might have bolstered it. Curious to see which will ultimately be better. Maybe they can introduce assassin's that can curve bullets wink wink...

Is that so? That's too bad. Given the director's previous work on the first John Wick, I was hoping a Charlize x Keanu team-up was in the cards.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It might work. Hasn't every Die Hard movie just been a script for something else they tweaked to be Die Hard? I'm sure they've got a bajillion assassin movie scripts lying around. Just gotta add in the parts about the Continental and those coins, good choreography, and you're set.

Geist-

I'll be honest, if they use the same action choreographer for all the films in this franchise, I'd be down. I love the world of The Continental.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm all for it, john wick universe is pretty good to tell stories of all sorts of assassins and how they always hear of the legend of john wick

Dynomutt

I'm down

Is that so? That's too bad. Given the director's previous work on the first John Wick, I was hoping a Charlize x Keanu team-up was in the cards.

Same I recall rumors but maybe they were referring this this which sounds like a more stylized Columbiana. Watch them cast Sofia Boutella.

The director likes that idea too
“It would be great! I get this question once in a while, and I think it’s just more their time period lines. I would absolutely do it. Maybe there’s a time we see versions, or there’s uh, you know, the other real fantasy is that maybe there’s a project with both, that a new idea. You know, that Charlize and Keanu could…, a story that we could have with the same action space and we can see them either partner up or go toe to toe.”

Dont really give a shit about this universe honestly. As long as the action scenes are up to par from what we've seen from both directors behind the first movie then I'll be into checking it out

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd rather John Wick Vs the dudes from the Raid honestly.

Edit: Then again John Wick probably isn't winning that fight.

Mr. X

Have all these tie-ins take place before JW1 and end in John Wick killing them. You can build the legend.

Geist-

John Wick is going to be the next Fast and the Furious franchise. They'll be swordfighting in space 8 films from now.
Don't even compare them. The entire F&F franchise is shit next to either John Wick.

Disclaimer, I hate F&F and love John Wick, so I may be biased.

ghostjoke

Banned
Please don't ruin the mystic of that universe. I like getting the tiniest glimpses behind the curtains of that world's structure but never want a clear understanding of its workings.

If this means I can get John Wick level choreographed gun scenes in my movies every year, I'm all for it.

Also it'd be dope if they retrofitted Equalizer into the universe. Make him John's mentor or something.

I felt like Baby Driver would be a good fit for the universe.

Actually any movie that does a crossover with Payday is probably a good fit.

While I did enjoy both movies and honestly wouldn't be opposed to a third, I think if this is going to be a thing, I'd appreciate more if the movies were loosely coupled- aka the opposite of the MCU where everyone knows everyone else and helps everyone else and is involved with everyone else.

I think the world of assassins set up in JW and JW2 could comfortably hold a lot of narratives without getting canny, but that's putting a lot of faith in Hollywood.

Top Bottom