• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Meffer

Hey guys, where do I find this one;

5a14cec2.png

Since its a B ranked Youkai, what does it mean? That I need a B ranked watch to find it? I just started the game, so I'm still a E rank.
You're rank determines if you can pass Youkai doors that are ranked and finding Youkai with the same or lower rank as your watch. As for getting her, you can still get her despite being E rank. Using the Gashapon at the tree behind the shrine can get you any Youkai including her. Just make sure to use a Youkai coin with the same type as her.

Posting for the new page:
Is there a site hosting QR codes for these games? Especially from some of the harder to find/event and promotional medals.

I was gifted a Japanese 3DS and a copy of the first and second game (black cover) for Christmas. I haven't had time to start a file as yet, while exploring Japan, but I'm looking forward to taking the time to do so tonight.

Could someone who is more familiar with the different versions please break down the bonuses awarded for linking multiple versions/save files? I read somewhere that there are some bonuses available for having a digital copy, I'd love clarification on that.

Posting for the new page:
Is there a site hosting QR codes for these games? Especially from some of the harder to find/event and promotional medals.

I was gifted a Japanese 3DS and a copy of the first and second game (black cover) for Christmas. I haven't had time to start a file as yet, while exploring Japan, but I'm looking forward to taking the time to do so tonight.

Could someone who is more familiar with the different versions please break down the bonuses awarded for linking multiple versions/save files? I read somewhere that there are some bonuses available for having a digital copy, I'd love clarification on that.

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2140594816337348201
http://questnikki.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-86.html
There are a bunch of websites with QR codes, you can find more by googling 妖怪ウォッチ QRコード
I'm not really sure how to determine which is the most comprehensive.

Edit: This one looks nice, too. Big list, shows what medal the code goes to.
http://www.妖怪ウ...22823;百科.com/medal_qrcode_list/

Dragoshi1

You're rank determines if you can pass Youkai doors that are ranked and finding Youkai with the same or lower rank as your watch. As for getting her, you can still get her despite being E rank. Using the Gashapon at the tree behind the shrine can get you any Youkai including her. Just make sure to use a Youkai coin with the same type as her.
How do I get youkai coins?

And she's puricchi, I think, I have a few of that type.

Impotaku

You can get coins by going to the bank to the south of your house there is a logo of a baby goat on the entrance. Talk to the woman on the middle bench it will give you the option to connect to the net, you get free coins each week.

You can also get coins from chests and for completing some quests, there is also a person in one of the floors of the apartment blocks that will swap insects for gashapon coins. The apartment blocks are in the southwestern part of the city, can't remember if it's in only the first game or if it's in the second game as well.

Meffer

You can get coins by going to the bank to the south of your house there is a logo of a baby goat on the entrance. Talk to the woman on the middle bench it will give you the option to connect to the net, you get free coins each week.

You can also get coins from chests and for completing some quests, there is also a person in one of the floors of the apartment blocks that will swap insects for gashapon coins. The apartment blocks are in the southwestern part of the city, can't remember if it's in only the first game or if it's in the second game as well.
You can also scan the QR codes behind Youkai medals at the bank. It'll be the leftmost lady behind the counter that'll do this. Just make sure to scan medals that are Purichi type.

Meffer

Ah I also forgot, you only have a certain amount of times you can use the gachapon per day, and the amount varies. You can tell how many chances you have per day and how many you have left on the menu at the bottom (at least for YW2 not sure for 1). You also get items as well as Youkai from the gachapon, so fair warning. So just keep trying and good luck!

Meffer

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2140594816337348201
http://questnikki.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-86.html
There are a bunch of websites with QR codes, you can find more by googling 妖怪ウォッチ QRコード
I'm not really sure how to determine which is the most comprehensive.

Edit: This one looks nice, too. Big list, shows what medal the code goes to.
http://www.妖怪ウ...22823;百科.com/medal_qrcode_list/
Oh man this is very helpful! Shame they don't have まさむね
masamune.png
or カゲまる
kagemaru.png

Those are my favorites and I still need to get them in game and their actual medals.

Dragoshi1

Wait, the girl sat the corner isn't letting me scan for QR, just some kind of password thing. Do we unlock QR later?

Meffer

Wait, the girl sat the corner isn't letting me scan for QR, just some kind of password thing. Do we unlock QR later?

Which one are you playing? 1 or 2? If 2, make sure it's this lady
vGg9sYv.jpg

If you still can't you're likely too early in the game to do it yet. How far are you in the game?

kubus

Just beat the first game! What a wonderful ending - loved the credits sequence and the animated cutscenes.

Shinuchi will probably arrive tomorrow, so this was great timing :D. Can't wait to see what improvements were made in the sequel, I already loved this game enough that it's became my GOTY.

From the gameplay footage posted, it really doesn't look all that impressive (for all the attention / sales it's garnering).

All I see is a ton of mini-games. Can anyone expand upon how this compares to Pokemon, particularly with how deep the game-play is? Is it heavily story focused....and how lengthy is it?

Meffer

Just beat the first game! What a wonderful ending - loved the credits sequence and the animated cutscenes.

Shinuchi will probably arrive tomorrow, so this was great timing :D. Can't wait to see what improvements were made in the sequel, I already loved this game enough that it's became my GOTY.

Then, you're going to really love Shinuchi. YW2 improves and expands from 1 the menu itself being an major improvement.

Meffer

From the gameplay footage posted, it really doesn't look all that impressive (for all the attention / sales it's garnering).

All I see is a ton of mini-games. Can anyone expand upon how this compares to Pokemon, particularly with how deep the game-play is? Is it heavily story focused....and how lengthy is it?
It compares to Pokemon that you collect and fight monsters, battles aren't deep and meta as Pokemon's but it can be a mind game in PvP and setting and planning your team is fun. And yes it's story focused and a decent length. I'm at about 15 hours in my file and I'm not even close to done. Honestly, compared to Pokemon the amount of stuff you can do is staggering. And it all gels together into a fun, polished experience. Check this thread and you'll see that the people playing this series are having fun.

Nightbird

It compares to Pokemon that you collect and fight monsters, battles aren't deep and meta as Pokemon's but it can be a mind game in PvP and setting and planning your team is fun. And yes it's story focused and a decent length. I'm at about 15 hours in my file and I'm not even close to done. Honestly, compared to Pokemon the amount of stuff you can do is staggering. And it all gels together into a fun, polished experience. Check this thread and you'll see that the people playing this series are having fun.

How would you rate the Story? What are the the things it can do very well?

Meffer

How would you rate the Story? What are the the things it can do very well?
It's certainly more fleshed out then Pokemon has done so far though there are some things it did pretty well like Red in Gold and Sliver.
Anyway YW focuses on humor and is episodic (it has a title card for new scenarios)and loosely follows the anime, while the second loosely follows the movie. I'm still a greenhorn on my Japanese but I can understand the gist of what is going on. I rate it at about 8/10 and I could read it fluently, it likely be higher.
As for things the games do well? It's world and the little details. It feels cohesive. There's many things you can do. For example, there are "strange occurrences" that go about and you can investigate what is causing them. Like "Rumors say, when you go into the school's inside court alone, you see a basketball bouncing by itself." If you check it out, you'll find a Youkai was responsible. Solving them nets you items or the Youkai. I could go on what else you an do, but there's quite a lot lol.

Impotaku

Trying so hard to get a tsuchinoko panda, 234 streetpass battles at the hotel and it's yet to show up it's crazily rare at appearing, out of all the youkai it's probably the hardest one to get due to the thing been linked to streetpassing. One day i want to see the ghost symbol appear on the VIP room.

On the plus side with all that hotel room battling i have levelled up my team to nearly level 80 and have gotten quite a few new youkai and items.

Impotaku

Alright, I finally got my Cimimaru to evolve into Kagemaru!

Nicely done :)

I take it you found the sword to evolve him, he's one of my faves along with Hagemaru wish there were a few more like him. If you haven't found hagemaru yet try running through the pedestrian crossings lots of times without pressing the button & waiting hehe.

Meffer

Nicely done :)

I take it you found the sword to evolve him, he's one of my faves along with Hagemaru wish there were a few more like him. If you haven't found hagemaru yet try running through the pedestrian crossings lots of times without pressing the button & waiting hehe.
Actually he evolved solely through leveling lol. Level 21 actually. Now I just need Masamune.
And I'm well aware of the infamous Hagemaru lol I saw him from watching a let's play of s guy getting him. Pretty lucky since it was his first time seeing.

Impotaku

Lol i'm an idiot i was thinking of Kushamusha. He's the one you evolve through using a sword i'm guessing the one you levellled up is the purple one that looks like a shadow.

He does weird things to some of the medals, in the latest medal set there are 3 secret medals that he appears in the background. In the medal sets there are ones called hagure medals where they look almost identical but there will be some slight variation in the artwork. the Jimi medals are easier to spot due to the facial expressions lol.
411HAoyK2GL.jpg

Edit i was wrong again LOOOL

Impotaku

It's just Jimi's ability he makes people go blank, there was an episode in the anime where he does it to quite a few people. He's not a bad youkai though, in fact most youkai in the anime are not that evil they usually are misunderstood or there is a reason for them doing what they do.

Out of all the secret hagure medals these 3 are the most striking and easy to spot, still have to get hold of them but their rarity makes them pretty pricy they are about 3000yen each. The other two are hikkikoumori & meramelion
41iuTEDhxKL.jpg

41uGoi4-%2BXL.jpg

They all come from the series 1 reissue set, they added a few new holo upgrades to non holo medals and added 3 secret hagure medals to the set. I have the original first set but i still have to get the extra holos and the 3 hagure medals from the reissue set, don't think i'll be going for a complete reissue set as there's not much point for buying the exact same medals again.

Meffer

Ah I see now, that's pretty cool that they added some secret medals in the reissued sets. I'm wondering how they're going to do the medals once this franchise hits worldwide.

Impotaku

It's going to be a lot of work for them if they do that's for sure, i'm curious how they would handle the sets that don't come in standard booster packs like the ramune & gum sets or the ones you can only get from gashapon machines or even the ones that come in packs of band aids.

In Japan they are scattered far & wide in a lot of different merchandise.

Mdk7

I'm not a Pokemon player but somehow i really like the monster design in this one, so i will definitely buy it if it ever comes to Europe.

Mask

Would you recommend getting this if I only know a little bit of Japanese? I'm currently learning.

I'm up to knowing about 17-18 Hiragana and getting better all the time. Haven't had many problems with Digimon Re:Decode, so this shouldn't be too bad, right?

Meffer

Would you recommend getting this if I only know a little bit of Japanese? I'm currently learning.

I'm up to knowing about 17-18 Hiragana and getting better all the time. Haven't had many problems with Digimon Re:Decode, so this shouldn't be too bad, right?

Not bad at all. This is a great game to ease into.

Dragoshi1

So I ordered this small box of Youkai medals.

I had extra credit on my account, so I grabbed them for 3 bucks.

And waiting on HLJ to let me know if they have the Zero Shiki watch in stock, along with the Gashapon machine.

Also, my Jibanyan model kit showed up yesterday, but haven't had time to build it yet.

And, in Youkai Watch 2 Honke, I've gotten FINALLY the quick travel mirror! But I'm guessing I have to activate it at Fumi's house in order to use it, huh?

Impotaku

To use all the warp mirrors you will have to find them and talk to each one to activate it, once you have activated it the mirror will appear on the list.

Just looked at your amazon link, hope that you are aware that it's one pack you'll be getting and not a box of 12 packs. It's a bit of a dick move of them to show a full box and then list it as one pack.

matt360

When they release it in the US, will they start with Yokai Watch 2? Or do part 1 first? I've heard that the 2nd one is by far the better game.

Dragoshi1

To use all the warp mirrors you will have to find them and talk to each one to activate it, once you have activated it the mirror will appear on the list.

Just looked at your amazon link, hope that you are aware that it's one pack you'll be getting and not a box of 12 packs. It's a bit of a dick move of them to show a full box and then list it as one pack.

Yeah, I noticed it after the fact, was a little bit miffed.

I want to order multiple, or a small box of them, so it's back to hunting for now.

Impotaku

The best place to find all the medals is Amazon Japan, use a forwarding service like Tenso to have them shipped out to you. That's where i get 99% of my medals from, for the rarer and harder ones to get hold of i have to resort to yahoo auctions but thankfully not too many times.

Going for medals is not a cheap buisness thanks to them been like crack to the average Japanese kid so prices are way above what they are meant to be but some of the older sets are available for half decent prices.

I'm looking to buy one of the second versions in Tokyo tomorrow. I have a flyer that outlines bonuses for having multiple versions and linking them together. I also discovered today at Yodabashi that there seem to be exclusives available only in digital versions. Can someone more informed please help me come to a decision? Is it better to go for the physical copies and pack-in medals, or digital downloads and exclusive content? I have no aversion to either, so if I can find the QR codes for the medal pack-ins, I'll just go digital.

Impotaku

If you want everything then go digital as the medal codes can be shared between systems but the digital codes cannot once it's been entered and the data downloaded the code is useless. Pretty much all the medal unlockable codes can be found online, one cool thing about the digital only stuff is you can share them between your games you own. Only worth going physical if you are actively collecting the medals.

When you download one of the digital games you have to go into the eshop and look at your download history to get your code for the exclusive youkai, you then put that code into the game via one of the tellers in the bank it then makes you access the eshop to download a piece of data to save to your extra data file on your SD card. All games share this extra data file so any other YW game you own if you goto the same counter and check the contents data option it will look at your file on your SD card and unlock all of them in that copy of the game you are using.

I have most of the unlockables in my extra data file so now all versions of my game have all the digital exclusives unlocked the only one im missing is sailornyan as i never got a digital copy of honke.

If you are after a version might as whell start off with shinuchi as it has the most content.

Meffer

As of now, all we know is that it's coming out next year. Whether it's spring or summer depends which is better for them.

Meffer

So now, I have two of the same legend youkai. What're the odds of that, through the gachapon no less!
cXaVROx.jpg

I got this guy before when I first used the gashapon and he's been on my team since. Then I got the second one just now.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Getting pretty excited for the release of hte game in English next year! I don't know too much, just the basics about what it all is but I'm keen!

I've decided to give the anime a go, (Ive just watched 180 naruto episodes in 10 days.. so i need a break). Episode 1 seems charming enough so far!

Dragoshi1

I think I messed up somewhere; I need the C rank watch in order to proceed, and talking to the clock shop guy isn't giving me the option to do so.

I'm currently doing the key quests that mostly focus on reviving the old Youkai.

Never mind, I got it, and now have ONE key quest left; the one at grandma's house. But, there is nothing to do inside... What do I do here? Ace the dinner mini game?

So I've been in Japan for the past couple of days and, while I knew how popular Youkai Watch had suddenly become, I didn't realise just how popular it's become.

It's literally EVERYWHERE. All over convenience stores and even some restaurants. I was in Asakusa yesterday and that one street just past Kaminarimon where there's tonnes of souvenir stands were filled with all sorts of Youkai Watch merchandise. I've seen tonnes of kids on their 3DS' playing in public and I even saw one employer in a restaurant wearing a Youkai Watch hat.

While I don't imagine it's more popular that Pokemon, I can see that in Japan at least, it's definitely getting there and will do so long as Hino doesn't fuck it all up. But that remains to be seen.

Honestly fascinated by how this series has just exploded and I can't wait until they bring it over to the west T__T

Meffer

I think I messed up somewhere; I need the C rank watch in order to proceed, and talking to the clock shop guy isn't giving me the option to do so.

I'm currently doing the key quests that mostly focus on reviving the old Youkai.

Never mind, I got it, and now have ONE key quest left; the one at grandma's house. But, there is nothing to do inside... What do I do here? Ace the dinner mini game?
If it is what I think it is, the kid-looking Youkai wants a manga that's next to the fireplace that heats the bath. It's outside along the right side. You'll see a exclamation point to inspect it. You'll get the manga then you have to give it to the Youkai.

red13th

So I've been in Japan for the past couple of days and, while I knew how popular Youkai Watch had suddenly become, I didn't realise just how popular it's become.

It's literally EVERYWHERE. All over convenience stores and even some restaurants. I was in Asakusa yesterday and that one street just past Kaminarimon where there's tonnes of souvenir stands were filled with all sorts of Youkai Watch merchandise. I've seen tonnes of kids on their 3DS' playing in public and I even saw one employer in a restaurant wearing a Youkai Watch hat.

While I don't imagine it's more popular that Pokemon, I can see that in Japan at least, it's definitely getting there and will do so long as Hino doesn't fuck it all up. But that remains to be seen.

Honestly fascinated by how this series has just exploded and I can't wait until they bring it over to the west T__T

Yeah that's exactly the reason why I wanted to try it. It really is everywhere in Japan. Even with the western release I'm thinking of buying a used Japanese 3DS and the games to help with my Japanese studies.

Dragoshi1

If it is what I think it is, the kid-looking Youkai wants a manga that's next to the fireplace that heats the bath. It's outside along the right side. You'll see a exclamation point to inspect it. You'll get the manga then you have to give it to the Youkai.
Wow, they foreshadowed that manga too, gotcha.

Also used a Whisper medal and got the black Dragonhorse out of it. Am I supposed to be switching out low rank Youkai for higher rank ones now?

I still have Jibanyan, Himeji, the Pompadour goblin, and the tapir. Using the 2nd Mirror and the Mermaid that were story related.

Meffer

Wow, they foreshadowed that manga too, gotcha.

Also used a Whisper medal and got the black Dragonhorse out of it. Am I supposed to be switching out low rank Youkai for higher rank ones now?

I still have Jibanyan, Himeji, the Pompadour goblin, and the tapir. Using the 2nd Mirror and the Mermaid that were story related.
The game for the most part is relatively easy. I suggest using whatever Youkai you like or catches your fancy. And switching them out often doesn't punish you either since the game gives you EXP orbs often to use. They're the blue or red orbs with a small flame image inside. They give a Youkai exp ranging from ten to even 10000 exp depending which one it is, you can tell how much in the item description.
Oh, the tapir is called Baku, a youkai that eats dreams and in the game lets you go outside at night while it pretends to be you sleeping.

Dragoshi1

Well, I finally beat Youkai Watch 2 Honke's Story Mode.

It took 22 hours to do so, with me doing straight story and required quests, and taking time to capture as many Youkai as possible.

And that final boss, DAMN it took me almost 30-40 minutes to beat.

Here's my team;

zGPhybR.jpg

Thanks to you guys who took the time to answer my questions and help me out.

I have one final question, though; where is Lin-kun(the baby dragon with the booger), and also how do I get the evolution item for Snow Girl to evolve?

A wiki I saw said the item was at that Jungle place where you sell the bugs/fish for 1500 JP, but I don't see it available for purchase.

Also, should I get Shinuchi now? Or wait for the inevitable Youkai Watch 3?

Top Bottom