• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Afghan refugee’s portraits earn him nickname of ‘Little Picasso’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Young refugee's portraits earn him nickname of ‘Little Picasso'

Serbia_Little_Picasso_22180-b3d99.jpg

Farhad Nouri is known among migrants as Little Picasso.

The 10-year-old from Afghanistan, who is stranded in Serbia together with his parents and two younger brothers, has earned his nickname for two reasons: He knows how to draw and he loves Pablo Picasso.

”One day I will draw him, too," Farhad said of the famous Spanish artist, his big dark eyes shining with delight.

For now, Farhad's drawing pad includes portraits of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, actress Angelina Jolie, artist Salvador Dali and Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic.

His talent has earned Farhad the status of a local celebrity. He recently met U.S. actor Mandy Patinkin, who works with refugees with the International Rescue Committee and who has urged President Trump to be more welcoming to people displaced from war-torn countries.

”Merkel maybe can do something to open the border," Farhad said in English, which he has learned over the year since he fled war and poverty in his home country.

Farhad also likes to draw portraits of his family and friends, fairy-tale castles, nature or anything else that comes to mind. Painting, he said, has helped during the flight.

”I was in Turkey. I was in Greece," Farhad said of the trip. ”Here in the camp I like my painting. I like drawing my feelings and faces."

Farhad said his family would like to go to Switzerland or the United States. Memories of the family home in Afghanistan have been blurred, he said.

”I remember the door when we are going away. I remember that day," he said. ”When I think [hard] I can remember something."

Farhad 's temporary home in Serbia is a narrow and damp room with bunk beds, a wardrobe and a small table.

Farhad said he plays with other children in the refugee camp and attends Serbian language classes in the camp during the day. He usually draws at night, in his bed, while it is quiet outside.

”I teach myself. Sometimes I see from the videos, on YouTube, and I learn," he said.

the BBC has a video of him and his great artwork here:
https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos/10154481531062217/

stream_img.jpg

stream_img.jpg

Hope he gets to have a proper education to help him improve his skills. Though to be fair, it's with a lot of worry that i would advise someone to follow a career in painting.

Carn82

Them being dressed too well is a common complaint of anti-refugee groups in Europe. Not even kidding.

Probably the same people who complain about refugees having bachelor or master degrees and stealing their jerbs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the same people who complain about refugees having bachelor or master degrees and stealing their jerbs.
I don't know about that, but I have seen people say they can't be real refugees if they have smartphones.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't know about that, but I have seen people say they can't be real refugees if they have smartphones.

Ask them what exactly does a refugee look like and be amazed as they start showing their assholeness as they try to answer.

Same if you can convince somebody to describe what poverty looks like

Madness

Well when you no longer want to stay in the first safe country you aren't really a refugee but an economic migrant. Moving in search of the best life possible. Nothing wrong with it, but this boy has gone from war torn Afghanistan to Turkey, to Greece, and now is stranded in Serbia with plans to either go to the US or Switzerland. Why? To be in the most developed country with the most liberal refugee policy and greatest economic prospects.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kid's got talent for sure, I can't even draw decent stickmen myself so I'm doubly impressed by what he can draw lmao
Them being dressed too well is a common complaint of anti-refugee groups in Europe. Not even kidding.

Yeah, it's fucking tiring to hear them drone on and on with bs like "Omg how dare refugees have smartphones and dress well!"

HotHamBoy

I did not know that. Interesting.

Not what he is known for though.

Picasso is known for a ton of different phases.

Most artists start with classical anatomy before exploring expression. You need a good foundation based in reality before you can abstract it.

M3d10n

Well when you no longer want to stay in the first safe country you aren't really a refugee but an economic migrant. Moving in search of the best life possible. Nothing wrong with it, but this boy has gone from war torn Afghanistan to Turkey, to Greece, and now is stranded in Serbia with plans to either go to the US or Switzerland. Why? To be in the most developed country with the most liberal refugee policy and greatest economic prospects.
And that is bad thing because?

If you're already leaving your country for fear of your life anyway, why is it wrong to try to get into a better country?

Conservatives keep saying people should be responsible for their own wellbeing and if they are unhappy with their low paying job they should just look for a better one elsewhere, even if they have to move to find it, but somehow that stops at international borders?

gerg

Most artists start with classical anatomy before exploring expression. You need a good foundation based in reality before you can abstract it.

Sure, but I would argue that Picasso is known more for deliberately and explicitly rejecting his classical training, and the subsequent movements he associated with as a result. Plus he was incredibly prodigious in his output.

As for the kid, he has a good eye! I hope he has the capacity to develop his skills further. I sure as hell wasn't drawing like that when I was 10!

Hypron

If this kid keeps at it and carries on improving, I really want to see the artwork he'll create in 10 years time.

HarryKS

In the doxa, he is not known for accurate portraiture.

In the doxa, he is not known for accurate portraiture.
Apparently drawing accurate portraits isn't even that hard for most artists. There is this one famous quote from Picasso:

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."

Made me kinda look at art different in general. I always thought that accurate drawings are the most difficult ones.

I did not know that. Interesting.

Not what he is known for though.

That's the thing. I tried to tell my wife why Picasso is such a great artist. She sees his cubism stuff and thinks it's crap and easy.

I told her: "Honey, he was bored of drawing realistically in his teens. This is what happens when you're already a master artist."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom