• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Campy 80s Horror Films

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GAF,

I'm putting together a few movie nights over the course of the next month, and my theme this year is going to be "Campy 80s Horror Movies". I'm thinking Gremlins, Ghoulies, Critters, Spookies, that kind of stuff. Looking for some hidden gem suggestions, I've seen mainstream stuff like Halloween or Friday the 13th like a million times (though "Jason Takes Manhattan" certainly would fit the theme here).

Your best recommendations will be appreciated by my watch group!

Poltergeist trilogy, Evil Dead trilogy, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, and Zombi 3 (in Italian with English subtitles). One that is somewhat obscure is Society.

One that is more tame is The Stuff:

P.S. The last two are more comedic than the trailers imply.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Ron Simmons Reaction GIF

34696-conquest-0-1000-0-1500-crop.jpg

Conquest 1983 by Fulci (werewolf chewbaccas sniffing drugs and lazer bow-n-arrows it's a dark fantasy with elements of horror)

36341-the-dead-next-door-0-1000-0-1500-crop.jpg

The Dead Next Door 1989 by Bookwalter (imagine Resident Evil 1 PS1 voice acting literally a full movie with that style but even gorier! it's ridiculous)

82463-magic-of-spell-0-1000-0-1500-crop.jpg

Magic Of Spell 1988 by Chiu Chung-Hing (resurrected zombie skeletons actually doing fight choreography it's hilarious and cool super entertaining)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tremors is an underappreciated gem. I wonder how many people still remember it.

My wife's favorite movie of all time! We watch it regularly, even the sequels. The newest one with the Napoleon Dynamite guy was actually pretty funny.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Underappreciated? It's widely known as the most perfectly written monster film of all time!! EVERY LINE in the film is a set-up for a later event, EVERY decision is based on the available info at the time, the characters all react with intelligence and forethought. Spawned numerous sequels and a TV show as well.

I'm watching something called Evil Toons right now which says it was filmed in 2010 but damned if it doesn't look like an 80's film through and through. So far not that scary but some SPECTACULAR boobs in it

Another fun one I don't think was posted yet is The Gate. Skews more for kids but still fun.

Another mostly forgotten gem....C.H.U.D.

And a REALLY f'ed up, quite dark gorefest with some great practical effects, The Beast Within.

Basically most are good (or atleast have unintended charm), but pick any Stuart Gordon one and you have a winner. It's the combination of his gonzo directing/writing and Jeffrey Combs bringing the thunder. He must get back aches from carrying the films he is in.

Last edited:

Malachai

Prince of Darkness is unironically one of my favorite Carpenter movies. I love the concept of it all, and it's just such a unique take. Such a great setup, and tone throughout. One of my few UHD blu-rays. It's getting close to Halloween, I should watch it again.
There's a genuinely creepy vibe to the whole thing that I think only Carpenter could pull off.

bitbydeath

You’ve probably seen it but it’s an absolute classic:
images

Something slightly more obscure
images

Another classic
images

Also going to throw Final Girls in as a campy bonus, while it was made in 2015 they transport back to the 80’s.
images

Melfice7

One of the best movies ever made and im not even kidding, its nearly perfect

My contribution is:

MV5BMTI2MDc2OTc4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE4MzgyMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

edit: shit its from 91, still feels like an 80's movie though

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Tremors for sure awesome..

Critters as well. Had a Critters poster in my bedroom. This one:

avTGJGs.jpeg

I don't know. At that time even Gremlins, although campy, made me crawl under the table regarding the cocoon opening scene so..

Never was/am a huge fan of campyness (if that's a word lol) and dont think I would've noticed those elements at that age anyways.

Oh yeah saw WitchesoEW in theater with my dad. Was really scared during some scenes.

Toots

Gold Member
j185psv.jpeg

This one is early 2000s but after watching the Evil Dead trilogy as other suggested you'll have a lot of fun watching Bubba Ho Tep

YiJpeUO.jpeg

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Prince of Darkness is unironically one of my favorite Carpenter movies. I love the concept of it all, and it's just such a unique take. Such a great setup, and tone throughout. One of my few UHD blu-rays. It's getting close to Halloween, I should watch it again.
One of my favorites as well. That scene of the devil coming out of the church with that audio from the future is permanently burned in my brain."this is not a dream"

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
So I can throw a new one out there (unless it's in a poster or something else I can't ctrl+f), I was pretty into Mind Games from 1989. It's about this family who befriends a really nice hitchhiker.

Top Bottom