• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your PC Specs (non-PC gamers welcome)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
For the space marine demo, it averages ~95fps with a low of 49fps right when they step out of the elevator and shoot those guys behind the barrels. Good shit.

Dark: CompUSA called dibs :D

Owing to the thread title, I figured you ought to have a non-PC gamer chip in. I upgraded most of my PC with money from my college graduation about two years ago, but I retained my old video card in anticipation of saving money until I needed a new one. As my favorite games, which are from the 486 era, are now playable on XP due to ScummVM and ExUlt, I still have the same 4-5 year old video card.

Athlon XP 1800 processor
256M RAM
ATI All-in-wonder Rage 128
don't remember the case or motherboard
$10 no name keyboard from 1996 that I prefer to any since, even though I thought it wouldn't last a year and it needs XT->PS2 adaptor to work now
Logitech Optical Mouse

This system works fine for old games and the most recent game I care about, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. My most system intensive tasks are using Photoshop, Pagemaker, Winamp, and Internet Explorer at the same time, which I haven't needed to do much since college.

Limedust

Cool. just got around to checking back on this thread. I would have expected the upgrading craze to die down a little bit, with most games having a generally lower set of spec requirements compared to the bleed edge than in the past (aside from D3 or HL2). Looks like the quest for the latest and greatest is alive and well, though. I finished recording my specs to have the list handy for other purposes, so here they are in full:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ FSB400 (2.2 GHz, 200MHz x 11) with retail stock cooler
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Version 2.0
RAM: (512MB x 2) Mushkin Hi-Perf Level II Revision 2 PC3200 (DDR400) in Dual-Channel configuration
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital 7200 RPM 40GB Hard Drive
Power Supply: Antec 430 Watt True Power
CD-RW: Yamaha CRW3200E 24/10/40 CD-RW
Printer/Scanner: HP PSC 750
Monitor: Gateway EVF720 Flat-Screen CRT 17-inch Monitor With 16-inch Viewable Area
Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy
Speakers: Creative 4.1 setup
LAN Card: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
USB Transceiver: Linksys Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter Version 2.6 (Model WUSB11 Version 2.6)
Router: Linksys 2.4 GHz 802.11b Wireless Access Point with 4-Port Switch (Model BEFW11S4 Version 2)
Keyboard: Logitech
Mouse: Logitech
Webcam: Logitech
Floppy: Generic 3½” Floppy Drive
Case: Generic Midsize ATX Case
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP1

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wow, I am absolutely floored at the incredible jump that this new gen of videocards has provided. Looking at MOPs rig which scores at 12k+, he's running a gig of 3500 ram, and a P4 2.4C at 3.0 speeds, yet he is blowing away most benches. Imagine with say, an A64 3900+. :0 Just an incredible leap.

DCX

DCX
- AMD Athlon Barton XP 2500
- 512MB RAM
- RADEON 8500 128MB
- On board audio- I hate it

That's about it.

DCX

Wellington said:
Wow, I am absolutely floored at the incredible jump that this new gen of videocards has provided. Looking at MOPs rig which scores at 12k+, he's running a gig of 3500 ram, and a P4 2.4C at 3.0 speeds, yet he is blowing away most benches. Imagine with say, an A64 3900+. :0 Just an incredible leap.

I haven't run a 3d bench yet, but the guys who helped me at 3dgameman's forum have similar A64 setups, and they get in the range of 11,000 to 13,000+ if I am not mistaken. Personally, I was allready to run a bench but after I loaded up games ad saw how well they run I just never did it...

Hamfam

Well, this is my laptop:

Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ
800 Mhz BUS
1 GB DDR RAM
60GB Harddrive
DVD and CD/RW
ATI RADEON 9600, 128MB
17" wide screen

eMac
1 Ghz PowerPC G4
1 GB SDRAM
160 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
SuperDrive with 4X DVD+R burning
built in 17 inch flat CRT monitor
runs OS X (10.3.5, the latest Panther build)

I use it mostly for Photoshopping (coloring and correcting my artwork), web design, writing, and web related stuff (like this!). I don't use it for gaming for obvious reasons. It can emulate old consoles and MAME well enough. I'm not into the PC gaming scene to be honest, so I don't feel too bad, though there are some hot games that are finally worth getting a PC for, like City of Heroes. I know that it might eventually come out for the Mac, but like all other game related stuff, I know it won't match up to its PC counterparts.

Oh, and not to derail the thread, but as loyal Mac user for the past 10 years, I'm more or less sick of them and can't wait to get a PC. Hell I only use Mac for one reason still, and will continue to do so, but I hate the company and the vast majority of its users.

Limedust

Wellington said:

I've been noticing that as well. With my setup, I get something just under 6000 in 3DMark03. I'm quite sure if I upgraded my 9800 Pro to one of the new cards, that score would probably more than double. I just don't see a compelling need to do so at the moment, so I plan to hold off.

Looking at my system, a newer graphics card is really the only thing I can upgrade for any sort of performance gain in the future unless I scrap the whole system and start over (which I obviously have absolutely no immediate plans to do). Athlon XP processors top out at the 3200+ (at stock speeds), and my RAM setup is maxed out for this MoBo and processor (speaking from a dual-channel setup).

Top Bottom