• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top RTTP games?

LectureMaster

Gold Member
returnal_05.jpg

With an insurmountable backlog, I always finish a game and move on. But I've found myself regularly wanting to replay Returnal. The tight gameplay is very satisfying.

Generally, all housemarque's games are worth replaying.

Last edited:

rm082e

Super Metroid
Symphony of the Night
FF6
FF7
Ninja Gaiden Black (and Sigma)
Halo CE
FFX
Dead Space 1 & 2
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Borderlands 1 & 2
Resident Evil 5
Bioshock 1 & 2
Dishonored
TLOU 1 & 2
Control

Dazraell

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Gothic
Max Payne
Uncharted games
Planescape: Torment
Mass Effect trilogy
The Witcher trilogy
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Sojiro

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Moreso than super Mario world because I find World to be a much easier game

Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - I have played through ths a ridiculous amount of times, anymore I try to lean toward ROM hacks as the base game is too familiar now

OG Doom - I might put Eternal up with the OG as the best of the Doom games, but I have played the OG many times and it's still damn fun each time through

Final Fantasy Tactics - Easily my most played PS1 game, a lot of different ways to differ each playthrough

Katamari Damacy - This is just a dumb fun game that I like to replay every year or so. It's not particularly hard, but just a fun as fuck wacky video ass game that is perfect comfort food.

Last edited:
I replayed Final Fantasy 8, 30 times, but never beat it...

It's always like "This time I can do it", because I want to fight Ultimecia and Abel really fucking bad.

But I can't get past Disc 1.
It's excruciatingly boring... Selphie and Irvine are the only ones that can make me crack a smile here and there.

The further I got was Disc 3, but when Eyes on Me started playing, I rolled my eyes and deleted my save...

Could swear we had this very same thread not even a month ago, but I might be wrong.
We did indeed.
It's okay though.

Vlodril

Alpha Protocol I have never played, also sad state of affairs we don't have a modern day version!

I think gog did re-release it and it's going (or is already) on steam too. If you are talking about Alpha Protocol that is. Loved that game. So many different paths. Great chars cool spy store. Horrible gameplay :D

I've finished the original Deus Ex 50+ times, probably closer to 100. The first two Thief games and System Shock 2 aren't far behind. I don't think I've ever uninstalled those games in the 20+ years I've been playing them.

Gp1

Any modable beast like:

Skyrim,

Fallout,

OG DOOM/DOOM2 (brutal, eternal etc etc etc)

Stalker (Anomaly mainly)

Space shooters like Freespace 2, Freelancer, No man sky, Elite (the last one of course vanilla. The others ranging from Vanilla "deluxe" to a number of different mods)

Any flight sim like DCS, IL2 GB or even 1946, X plane, MSFS 2020 when my game pass is active, etc.

Metal gear 5 (curiously i can't replay any other game in the series that much)

OG Deus Ex (uengine 1 so highly modable too)

System shock 2 (i can't stand to play the BioShocks again, but SS2 is another story)

Fear (someone posted a good topic about Fear not so long ago, its time to reinstall)

The original XCom (the new XCom 2 is a awesome game that improved the series to a new level, but the 1993 game still holds a special place in my heart)

Civ6 (always install a truckload of mods and maps, play a game or 2 them uninstall)

Arma3 (the same case as civ6. I've been playing the series since the first game but the MP never clicked that much for me)

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't tend to replay long story games at all... they almost have to be one-time journeys, even my favorites of all time.

The only times I've replayed a long game would be when a new way to experience it has opened up, eg. replaying Half Life 2 in full VR, Ocarina of Time 3D, etc.

Otherwise, my actual RTTPs over the years are shorter experiences by today's standards: old-school 8/16 bit games, some early FPS like DOOM or Duke Nukem or Dark Forces, arcade games, etc.

My most replayed across my whole life... maybe Link's Awakening, since it was portable for all those 90s long car trips, and then in later years I've come back to it a couple of times for a full playthrough.

Mr Hyde

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1-3
Resident Evil 4 (Resident Evil in general, I'd say).
Nier
Final Fantasy 7
Blasphemous

Bioshock - I just love that world. It'd be cool on its own just aesthetically, but add in the Objectivism and competing philosophies of the people in it, and there's nothing else like it out there.

Resident Evil 4 - The OG. I've played it on PS2, PC, Wii for the motion controls, and VR. Proof that great games don't age...mechanically. Tank controls and not being able to move and shoot at the same time were baked into the design. RE4 Remake is excellent, too.

Dead Space series - Especially #2, which is my favorite. Hoping they remake it like they did #1

Max Payne 3 - Still unbeaten as the GOAT third-person shooter, imo

Fallouts 3/New Vegas/4 - The gameplay loop stays compulsively addicting.

Honorable mentions: GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2, Dark Souls series, the rest of the Resident Evil series

killatopak

Gold Member
RE3
Diablo 2
SRW Z2.2
Skyrim
FONV
CK2
Sims
Sim City 2000
Red Alert 2
Fatal Frame 3
SH1

Resident Evil is probably the most replayed. I have considered doing speed run streams of all classic RE games up until RE4 excluding RE0. While I have replayed 5 and the rest of the more modern ones as well as the remakes, it’s definitely a lot less and probably more sloppy on those games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mass Effect Trilogy
Mass Effect Andromeda
Super Metroid
Final Fight
GTA III
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong

FeastYoEyes

RE 4 original (or basically any RE remake).
Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite.
Serious Sam3 for some reason.
Dead Space.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Jet Set Radio Future
Jet Grind Radio
KoToR
Any Tony Hawk between 2 to THUG, then American Wasteland and Project 8
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5

Last edited:

Arachnid

Resident Evil 4 OG by far. I mean like 100+ playthroughs speed running and 60+ of those being in professional mode

Silent Hill 2 and 4 just because I love experiencing their stories (lost track but SH2 has well over 20 playthroughs and SH4 has close to 10)
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 (2 has the best story and 4 has the best gameplay in the series; 2 has had around 5 playthroughs, 4 around 10)
Bloodborne (this one and RE4 are my comfort games to just run thorugh; well above 10+ playthroughs and countless hours in coop or messing around in chalice dungeons)
Alien Isolation (5 playthroughs)
Witcher 3 (3 playthroughs, all main/sidequest/hunts; probably wont come back to this one for a long time)
Dishonored 2 (not sure about how many playthroughs for this and below, I come back to them randomly a lot)
Hitman World of Assasination

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
No FFV? Doing it wrong guys.
Been meaning to replay it for a while. Still undecided if I should go with the Pixel Remaster, the patched GBA version or the SNES version.

I've played FF IV on the DS and i liked it very much. Beyond that i've never played a Final Fantasy game.
V is great, my favorite in the series by far. The story is fast-paced without taking itself very seriously and the gameplay is very fun and engaging thanks to the ATB battles and the job system.

cireza

Gold Member
A few come to mind.

Jet Set Radio
Burning Rangers
Nights
Phantasy Star Online v2
Outrun 2
Dead or Alive 6
Metroid Fusion
Shining Force games
SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium
Sonic games

Last edited:
For me, it´s almost basic, cliché:

Doom I and II - I always find myself coming back to Doom, whether it's on PC (with mods like Brutal Doom or GZDoom) or on consoles. There's just something about these games that brings back great memories of the '90s and all that atmosphere from back then—it feels like there was more creative freedom, more craziness and intensity in movies, games, and music. Aside from that, it's just awesome: some maps, like E1M3 or the early levels of Doom II, I play almost automatically, like they're a portal to a lost paradise of gaming... anyway.

Quake - Even though it's so different from modern games (it feels like something's missing), I always come back to Quake for its aesthetic, atmosphere, and speed; Quake Remastered is a great example of nostalgia done right.

Diablo II - Now with Resurrected, oh my God, I don’t even know what to say. I think I'm gonna play it for the rest of my life—it's almost scary! The game's mechanics and nuances are almost esoteric to me: even now, I still don’t fully understand some of the systems, but I keep learning anyway. Man, sometimes I think you need to take a course just to learn how to play :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bloodborne - I started playing again; I want Bloodborne to be my new Symphony of the Night (a game I play every year). But I found a trick on YouTube to get overpowered right at the start by grinding a certain Chalice Dungeon, and now, I don’t know... I’m lost and haven’t known where to go for days, so I kinda gave up. I always want to go back, but for now, there are other good new games to play like Jedi Survivor or Deathloop (yeah, I like it a lot!).

Risk of Rain 2 - This game was a discovery for me, a revelation—I didn’t expect to get so hooked on RoR2. It has everything: amazing and well-thought-out gameplay, a ton of mysteries, systems, items, alternate paths, secret stages, and things to discover that even after about 3 years, I still haven’t done much in the game. I don’t understand why this game isn’t talked about more, but to me, it’s on the same level as those big titles. It’s sensational and addictive.

Nioh - I don’t really know why, but I just love this game. The gameplay is perfect; I even set Ninja Gaiden Black aside and have been playing only Nioh since 2018, I think. My character looks a lot like Ryu Hayabusa but has way more features and options. There's something about this game that screams old-school, like the good old days when video games were just video games, and screw everything else. Surprisingly (and no matter how much I play), I still haven’t finished the game and its DLCs. Nioh 2 is cool and all, but I think it’s way over the top for my tastes and sits in a limbo between the outdated (but original) vision of Nioh 1 that made it so special and the modern particle effects, magic, etc., of newer games.

Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider - I can’t even explain it, but over time (and after getting over my initial bias against these AAA games), I grew to love them. There's something about them that reminds me of old-school games, but with a modern and smooth feel. Both are awesome, and they’re always installed.

Ninja Gaiden (NES) - I'm getting old and can't get past a certain level anymore, but I still keep trying.

Other mentions: Symphony of the Night, Panzer Dragoon Orta (I´m praying for the fruther release of Panzer Dragoon Zwei - I´ll buy it on release date and I´m sure that I´ll play it forever, help me God, lol), Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Radiant Silvergun, R-Type, Resident Evil 4 (Classic and Remake now), Dishonored 2, Outrun 2 Coast to Coast, Dark Souls II - SotFS, Demon´s Souls... The list´s long and have the feel that I always play the same games forever.

Top Bottom