• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(You're) LTTP: Crimson Tears (PS2) - It's a roguelike beat em' up, and it's awesome

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
keW7z.jpg

Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Dream Factory (Tobal, Ehrgeiz), Spike

Screenshots:

qTuM8.jpg
43bg6.jpg

HTBsA.jpg

What it is:

Crimson Tears is a beat 'em up with many elements of the roguelike genre. The stages are randomly generated, item drops are random, weapons degrade and break (though not as often as in true roguelikes), and you lose all of your items (but not levels) if you die. You also have a choice of three characters: Amber, Kadie, and Tokio, each with different specialties and fighting styles. Also, instead of the roguelike "hunger" system, Crimson Tears instead employs an "overheating" system (as your characters are cyborgs). Basically your characters slowly overheat as they perform attacks, and you have to use items to keep your heat down.

Why it's awesome:

Remember Ehrgeiz? Remember the awesome RPG Mode in the PS1 version that was arguably better than the main game itself? Yeah, Crimson Tears is basically that, taken to the next level. Also, it features some of the absolute best cel-shading seen on the PS2. Seriously, it still holds up visually even today. The combat system is also pretty fun, with several different fighting styles per character and upgradeable combos. There's also a pretty nice weapon system where you can collect different components to combine with weapons to make new weapons.

Crimson Tears also employs the rescue system from Ehrgeiz, wherein if you die while in a dungeon, you can send another character to rescue the fallen character. If you're successful, you don't lose any of your items. However, if you fail, say goodbye to all your hard earned loot. And to make things harder, the character that is sent in to rescue the downed character is unable to use any items or change equipment.

Crimson Tears got slammed in the reviews, as does anything in the West that even remotely resembles a roguelike. Though in fairness to the reviewers, the game DOES get repetitive. However, if you're into that sort of thing, you won't really mind. But still, Crimson Tears is really an unjderappreciated gem of the PS2 era, and can be found for a pittance ($2.99 at GameStop, likely around the same price at Amazon/eBay). It's cheap, really fun, and quite nice looking to boot. What have you got to lose?

TxdoHawk

The box looks familiar, but I knew absolutely nothing about this...and it sounds right up my alley! I enjoy beat-em-ups and roguelikes. Going to have to find a copy. Thanks OP!

Agate

Neo Member
I remember wanting to pick this up back in the PS2 days, never got around to it sadly..but I might just give it a whirl after this semester ends.

OP just reminded me of the Quest mode in Ehrgeiz. Fuck, I'd completely forgotten about that... I used to love it back in the day (it was punishing as shit though). Don't think I've played it for 10-11 years now =/

I didn't know Dream Factory did other stuff... definitely gonna give this game a try

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Skilletor said:
This was developed by Dream Factory?

Yeah, it's the last great Dream Factory game, even if it's not that great. I put dozens and dozens of hours into it, though. Probably the only block on my PS2 bootup screen to rival Shinobi and RRV.

Sqorgar

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Crimson Tears got slammed in the reviews, as does anything in the West that even remotely resembles a roguelike.
I think the game got slammed because it wasn't very good, roguelike or not.

hell yeah, this is a game I've always been curious about (Capcom + that artstyle.) You've pushed me over the fence.

PS2 revival gaf go! (I'll be making a god hand lttp that I want to be pretty epic soon.)

Top Bottom