• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

Aeana

Oh shoot. I forgot this was coming out this week. Just when I start becoming swamped with school/work stuff too. >_<

Did Falcom have a stream last night or something? Did they show gameplay off, and does it have any Ys 4 music? I was watching the Tales/Namco one instead.

"That's what I said, foilage. It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce foilage!"
Yes they did, they unboxed the 25th Anniversary Pack and then showed a lot of gameplay. There was tons of Ys 4 music. They also finally acknowledged the game as a remake of Ys 4, publicly, for the first time.

randomkid

Sea of Trees is actually very evocative and pretty. Foliage Ocean is the kind of hilariously clinical title I'd associate with Square Enix games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If it comes to US I might have to get the vita since that would be a 5th game I can actually care about.

M-PG71C

I will buy a Vita for this game, sooner if it gets localized and later if I need to import it. Looks so good and it's pretty much my favorite game series.

Damn right about that! All I need is a localization announcement with release date and I will buy a Vita right now. I mean, literally, right now.

Liamario

Banned
I only discovered the Ys series in the passed 12 months. Why are these games not getting more coverage. Do they do well in Japan?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Sea of Trees was the unofficial translation sites used before Falcom revealed the official romanization to be "Foliage Ocean." I didn't think it was ever official or anything but it would hardly be the first time I've been wrong.

Either way, the impression I've gotten is that XSEED will probably tweak the title if they localize it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes they did, they unboxed the 25th Anniversary Pack and then showed a lot of gameplay. There was tons of Ys 4 music. They also finally acknowledged the game as a remake of Ys 4, publicly, for the first time.
Thanks. Whoa, they finally acknowledged Ys 4 in some way, even with the music! So there's music from Ys 4 in-game and arranged and everything? Hoping the gameplay's better than Ys 7. Flash Guard and Flash Move aren't to my liking. But they've added aerials... and I like aerials... hmmm...

This game has boss rush too, I think.

I hope the anniversary pack is worth it. Nayuta no Kiseki's certainly felt like it was worth the price.

Verelios

I will be fervently waiting for this to come out here. Xseed, I give you my money!

Damn, if anyone gets the game, or was at TGS, how are the aerial combos?

Dunan

I have no idea what those Japanese characters mean, but I did like the sound of "Sea of Trees".

&#27193;&#28023; is a pretty ordinary Japanese word for a jungle, and the characters literally mean "tree" and "sea".

You can call a desert a "Sandsea" (as in FF12); a "tree-sea" feels like something Beowulf's comrades would have spotted on shore from one of their boats.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sea of Trees is actually very evocative and pretty. Foliage Ocean is the kind of hilariously clinical title I'd associate with Square Enix games.

I actually wish Square would return to their clinical naming conventions.
Their newer breed of bat-shit garbled stupidity hurts. :(

Dunan

I actually wish Square would return to their clinical naming conventions.
Their newer breed of bat-shit garbled stupidity hurts. :(

It's only their titles (decided by marketers) that are nuts; their naming conventions within games (decided by translators) are excellent

blixa

Banned
The Ys series is and always has been pretty niche.

this past year the franchise has gotten more shallow anime fans following it than ever before. falcom and ys is slowly turning to shit. i am happy to be proved wrong with my pre-order, but the music will probably try to ape the kiseki series too much with it's poppy violin crap, just to cater to the awful fans of kiseki and terribly generic anime in general.

falcom had a good run. rip.

Aeana

this past year the franchise has gotten more shallow anime fans following it than ever before. falcom and ys is slowly turning to shit. i am happy to be proved wrong with my pre-order, but the music will probably try to ape the kiseki series too much with it's poppy violin crap, just to cater to the awful fans of kiseki and terribly generic anime in general.

Okay.

blixa

Banned
You're in the presence of a Kiseki fan. Are you sure you want to talk to me? You might catch some sort of anime-related disease.

no, in fact, i don't like you one bit.

if this game lacks the testosterone (like all things nowadays) and guitars of the previous games, and instead full of "UGUU~ why don't you love meeeee" shit, i'm gonna puke. that's all because of the new fans, they love stupid fluff.

so yes, it's not really "niche" anymore, and that's the problem.

Aeana

if this game lacks the testosterone (like all things nowadays) and guitars of the previous games, and instead full of "UGUU~ why don't you love meeeee" shit, i'm gonna puke. that's all because of the new fans, they love stupid fluff.
Yes, only new fans like Kiseki. Someone like me, who's been playing Falcom's games since Xanadu couldn't possibly like any of their recent output, right?

This testosterone thing seems pretty imagined. Falcom's games have always been anime-inspired.

i hope you're wrong. the designs aren't the best, but i wouldn't go that far just yet.

blixa

Banned
Yes, only new fans like Kiseki. Someone like me, who's been playing Falcom's games since Xanadu couldn't possibly like any of their recent output, right?

This testosterone thing seems pretty imagined. Falcom's games have always been anime-inspired.

it was anime, but different from today's, where everything has to be cute.

i hope you're wrong. the designs aren't the best, but i wouldn't go that far just yet.

of course i hope so too. very much looking forward to it still, but i'm a little worried because falcom's somewhat not what they used to be, and things do come to an end..

Aeana

it was anime, but different from today's, where everything has to be cute.

DMCeY.png

i2wjQ.jpg

Not cute? Got it.

blixa

Banned
yep, i don't really find that overly cute, as say.. billiechu's (new ys player. coincidence?) avatar and whatever else kids watch these days.

Famassu

Umm.. Ys has always been a shallow anime JRPG, as far as story & style goes. Absolutely nothing has changed.

And the Kiseki games are some of the best written JRPGs. Hardly "UGUUUU~", have you actually even PLAYED the games? Doesn't really sound like it, at all.

Hopefully by the time XSEED localizes this, I'll have a Vita to buy it for.

so yes, it's not really "niche" anymore, and that's the problem.

You seem fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oy, blixa, thanks for the laughs. I needed that today. Things not being manly enough gave me a chuckle.

I don't like Adol's new design at all either (nor do I like the animated stuff they showed in a few trailers because the animation is pretty stiff), but c'mon... Falcom has always taken some stuff from anime and manga in character designs, as Aeana pointed out.

The Kiseki games aren't dripping in kawaii uguu shit either, not from the ones I've played. The later Kiseki games get better with regards to the soundtracks. And hey, I prefer the PC-88/PCE stuff more than the current arrangements in Oath of Felghana and stuff, but they're still pretty decent and have a lot of stylistic touches. And they still knock it out of the park with their arranged albums. The acoustic album that came with Nayuta was pretty good.

blixa

Banned
Umm.. Ys has always been a shallow anime JRPG, as far as story & style goes. Absolutely nothing has changed.

not in gameplay. ys for me was always a rocking fast-paced soundtrack with awesome fast gameplay.
now i get seven with awful dialogue and poppy music.
not a fan of that, personally.

And the Kiseki games are some of the best written JRPGs. Hardly "UGUUUU~", have you actually even PLAYED the games? Doesn't really sound like it, at all.

you are taking it too literally.

kuroshiki

lol, not at all. when things gain popularity = they turn awful.
or the other way around, by turning awful, they gain more fans.

i don't know which is the case here, or if it will be.. yet.

I don't even know what the fuck are you talking about.

It will increase your vocab skill though. I didn't know what 'foliage' was before this.

blixa

Banned

yes, you do. the question is whether you agree or not.
stop pretending to not "understand".

anyway, no need to turn this topic worse.
see ya'll at the release (unless it truly does suck)

you are taking it too literally.

Then what do you mean? The Kiseki games are far from perfect. But in terms of being modern JRPGs, there's far more political intrigue in a single chapter of Ao no Kiseki than there is in the entirety of Final Fantasy XII. What do you think these games are?

"I hate anything that gains popularity."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This thread is hilarious.

Wait, blixa, I was being entertained.

0S2Ai.gif

That, uh, that certainly wasn't what I expected when I came back in here. Yeesh. I didn't like some of the stuff Ys Seven brought to the series (ex: flash guard, party system, lack of platforming, etc.), but man. That entire thing was basically "stop liking the things I don't like!" in a nutshell. @___@

Apath

It will increase your vocab skill though. I didn't know what 'foliage' was before this.
You've never heard the word foliage before?
Assuming English is your native language..

lol, not at all. when things gain popularity = they turn awful.
or the other way around, by turning awful, they gain more fans.
Something something hipster something

kuroshiki

yes, you do. the question is whether you agree or not.
stop pretending to not "understand".

anyway, no need to turn this topic worse.
see ya'll at the release (unless it truly does suck)

No. I don't. YS 7 was the best YS in gameplay wise and I played every YS ever released since MSX except megadrive version. So don't even pretend that you are the only one who are hardcore YS fan.

Salaadin

Whats going on in here!?! :(

Glad to see this thread. Hopefully this gets localized soon.
That Anniversary Pack looks great.

Vamphuntr

The TGS footage linked in the OP looked good to me. The forest of dawn seems really nice graphic wise. The guy playing was really bad at and got owned during the boss demo haha.

blixa

Banned
Something something hipster something

ew, no. what an insult.

[couldn't resist..]

No. I don't. YS 7 was the best YS in gameplay wise and I played every YS ever released since MSX except megadrive version. So don't even pretend that you are the only one who are hardcore YS fan.

didn't even write anything close to that.
maybe you were right, you don't understand what's being read.

kuroshiki

Download for this game is around 760MB. This worries me.

YS seven had severe downgrade when it came to music quality because of size limitation. (Come to think of it it didn't even use full 1.2GB of UMD capacity)

Falcom you better not decrease sound quality in this game. BETTER NOT.

Top Bottom