• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

Seems safe to assume that XSEED will bring this over, I bet they're just waiting to announce it after Ragnarok Odyssey has come out so as not to poach attention away from their first *major* Vita release. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to impressions from this thread. I still have yet to play a single Ys game, despite owning the three recent PSP releases, and I can never make up my mind which to dive into first. Maybe it'll be this one!

Aeana

Download for this game is around 760MB. This worries me.

YS seven had severe downgrade when it came to music quality because of size limitation. (Come to think of it it didn't even use full 1.2GB of UMD capacity)

Falcom you better not decrease sound quality in this game. BETTER NOT.
The Vita is a more powerful machine, which means it's able to deal with higher quality compression methods. The audio quality in the game seems just great from what I've heard.

kuroshiki

ew, no. what an insult.

[couldn't resist..]

didn't even write anything close to that.
maybe you were right, you don't understand what's being read.

Or perhaps you don't know how to write correctly. Apparently I'm not the only one who's taking your post as 'face value' and brand you as elitist.

didn't even write anything close to that.
maybe you were right, you don't understand what's being read.

falcom and ys is slowly turning to shit.

lol, not at all. when things gain popularity = they turn awful.

YS 7 was the best YS in gameplay wise and I played every YS ever released since MSX except megadrive version.

"Ys sucks now" isn't an incredibly hard concept to follow and "no, it's great" is a direct response to it. Maybe you're just trying to suggest that he doesn't understand to come across as superior.

Yuterald

Man, there are so many fucking awesome Japanese games coming out this Fall/Winter. I wish I could read/speak Japanese. Japan is getting Yakuza 5 and Ys 4 by the end of the year!? I don't think they know how good they have it over there, lol! Yeah, by the time XSEED drops this on our shores I hope I can afford to buy a Vita. I'll need this game injected into my veins ASAP.

Also, blixa, dude, pick a different battle. Ys elitism, really? That's like the kind of people who hate Yakuza 4 and think it's garbage, etc. I can understand having a problem with some of the big boys (Final Fantasy XIII and its never ending sequels, DmC, Resident Evil 6, Ninja Gaiden 3, etc.) but Ys? I find myself to be a bit of an elitist when it comes to certain things, but when it something as niche as Ys...Jesus Christ. I think that energy/passion/anger could be directed elsewhere.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Download for this game is around 760MB. This worries me.

YS seven had severe downgrade when it came to music quality because of size limitation. (Come to think of it it didn't even use full 1.2GB of UMD capacity)

Falcom you better not decrease sound quality in this game. BETTER NOT.

I think sound quality was an issue due RAM and CPU power. This game should be better since the Vita is so much more capable.

Edit: Oh, new page, I see I was beaten.

Seems safe to assume that XSEED will bring this over, I bet they're just waiting to announce it after Ragnarok Odyssey has come out so as not to poach attention away from their first *major* Vita release. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to impressions from this thread. I still have yet to play a single Ys game, despite owning the three recent PSP releases, and I can never make up my mind which to dive into first. Maybe it'll be this one!

No reason not to start with what you have! Seven or Oath are both great starting points. Origin too if you can play on PC. Chronicles after those.

blixa

Banned
Or perhaps you don't know how to write correctly. Apparently I'm not the only one who's taking your post as 'face value' and brand you as elitist.

i am an elitist, for sure. not a hipster though, it's a clear difference.
hipsters are generally indie people who loves pop, colourful things, they're posers and pseudo-intellectuals, who everyone believes have knowledge about obscure stuff (they do not. at all) very obnoxious people.

i'm the exact opposite of that.
with being a fan of all dark/bleak/gritty avante-garde/experimental subjects.

BUT YES, ENOUGH ABOUT THAT.

kuroshiki

hipsters are generally indie people who loves pop, colourful things, they're posers and pseudo-intellectuals, who everyone believes have knowledge about obscure stuff (they do not. at all) very obnoxious people.

I don't give a shit about how you define elitist or hipster. But your opinion of YS game turning to shit because it is gaining popularity is clearly wrong. So stop spreading BS.

Are you being purposefully ironic?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
cs2VM.gif

What the hell am I reading now.

kuroshiki

No reason not to start with what you have! Seven or Oath are both great starting points. Origin too if you can play on PC. Chronicles after those.

Yes, Xseed. Please let us know soon or I will just buy it from play-asia. Loss of sale for you.

The Vita is a more powerful machine, which means it's able to deal with higher quality compression methods. The audio quality in the game seems just great from what I've heard.

Good to know. Thanks.

If it's not turned out to be true than you let me know who told you about that false information.

blixa

Banned
I don't give a shit whether you are elitist or hipster. But your opinion of YS game turning to shit because it is gaining popularity is clearly wrong. So stop spreading BS.

alright, i can't bother explaining no more.
let's just say, 99 percent of you assumed a whole nother message with my posts.

but such is gaf, over exaggerating to the max with "what the fuck am i reading?" and whatnot.

i have nothing against ys gaining popularity, okay?
i do however think it will turn terrible cuz of it.
not automatically, but because of a change of direction, rendered such by the fanbase.

Einbroch

Banned
alright, i can't bother explaining no more.
let's just say, 99 percent of you assumed a whole nother message with my posts.

but such is gaf, over exaggerating to the max with "what the fuck am i reading?" and whatnot.

lol, not at all. when things gain popularity = they turn awful.
or the other way around, by turning awful, they gain more fans.

i don't know which is the case here, or if it will be.. yet.
I don't know how you can read that any other way.

blixa

Banned
yes, so what? i explained about that.
and i also knew someone would quote that.
so predictable..

am i anywhere against ys gaining popularity by saying such?
let things flow naturally.

i do however think it will turn terrible cuz of it.
not automatically, but because of a change of direction, rendered such by the fanbase.

no one should really say; "your opinion is wrong".

Einbroch

Banned
yes, so what? i explained about that.
and i also knew someone would quote that.
so predictable..

Doesn't matter if you explained it. You posted it.

If I were to say "Mario is a casual, shitty franchise" then went on a long tirade about how NSMB Wii was super popular and thus meant it was shit, do you see the problem with that?

Uh, yes you do? You said that when things get popular they turn awful. You want Ys to turn awful? Well, according to you, if it became popular, it would be awful. Thus you have no problem with Ys becoming awful.

Popular = bad
Ys = popular
Ys = bad

urfe

Is here a good place to ask opinions on the Ys I and II remake for the PSP? I loved the 2D graphics I saw in it.

Should I pick it up when I get a Vita, or are the newer (but alas, 3D) titles significantly better?

Aeana

Is here a good place to ask opinions on the Ys I and II remake for the PSP? I loved the 2D graphics I saw in it.

Should I pick it up when I get a Vita, or are the newer (but alas, 3D) titles significantly better?
It's what I consider to be the definitive version of Ys 1&2. As for which is significantly better, it's hard to say because the first two play differently from the later ones. You might as well start off with the first ones and move up from there, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It's fun, just be prepared for something that might feel very, very dated. There's no attack button, instead you have to run into enemies to attack them. Doing it from the front will get you killed quickly, so you'll have to practice hitting them from behind, the side, and at angles.

The general game design is also kind of obtuse, especially in Ys I. The game includes a guide for the first game (which you'll probably want to use), but the digital version might be kind of annoying to reference if you can't do it in game. I've never tried.

Ys II is a direct sequel, and pretty much improves on everything the first game does. I'd say it's my third favorite game in the series of the ones I've played (after Oath and Origin.)

Aeana

It's fun, just be prepared for something that might feel very, very dated. There's no attack button, instead you have to run into enemies to attack them. Doing it from the front will get you killed quickly, so you'll have to practice hitting them from behind, the side, and at angles.

The general game design is also kind of obtuse, especially in Ys I. The game includes a guide for the first game (which you'll probably want to use), but the digital version might be kind of annoying to reference if you can't do it in game. I've never tried.

Ys II is a direct sequel, and pretty much improves on everything the first game does. I'd say it's my third favorite game in the series of the ones I've played (after Oath and Origin.)
The game is old, I mean its peers are games like Dragon Quest 1 and Final Fantasy 1, but I don't really think it feels dated at all. It's remarkably modern, and I'm continually struck by that every time I replay it. They were just ahead of their time, I think.

Verelios

It depends really. Personally, I liked playing through Ys 1 and 2 on my Vita. The colors were really vibrant, the translation was great and the game was generally a blast. That's if you can get through the battle system though-- which is kind of...yeah, old school. The newer titles are more in step with what I like, being fast paced and more RPG..y, and the bosses, dear god the bosses. It feels like the monsters on the way are just preparations for the heart of the game.

I'd say pick it up, but I also like Oath and 7 better than I do collections. It's a hard choice, but they're all good in a way. Well, go for it. Can't really go wrong with Ys.

If I import this, what will I be missing out on by using my U.S. account? Trophies? DLC? Anything else?

I'd really like to get this game this week. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you're using your US account you don't have to worry about trophies at all. It'll still go towards your US account's trophy count no matter what, just like import PS3 games.

If there's ever DLC, you'll have to purchase it off the Japanese store with your JP account. I think you'll have to use it with your JP account? I don't think this game has DLC, though, does it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The game is old, I mean its peers are games like Dragon Quest 1 and Final Fantasy 1, but I don't really think it feels dated at all. It's remarkably modern, and I'm continually struck by that every time I replay it. They were just ahead of their time, I think.

I don't disagree personally, but I don't think the opinion that it still feels like a late 80s game is all that uncommon. There was definitely a difference in reception between Chronicles and Oath/Seven.

I was actually planning to replay 1 & 2 this weekend, but that didn't happen. Even picked them up again on my Vita.

Aeana

If I import this, what will I be missing out on by using my U.S. account? Trophies? DLC? Anything else?

I'd really like to get this game this week. :)

Nothing. The game doesn't have DLC, and as far as I know, you should be able to earn trophies fine on any account.

Day -1. I'll be picking up my preorder Wednesday afternoon.

Expect flailing, screaming and impressions that evening.

Played a bit at TGS on Thursday too. Sound quality was great and the game looks really good on the Vita screen.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I will buy a vita for this game

If this collectors edition comes to NA I will do something I haven't done in a long time: preorder it. Either way this is the game that gets me to buy a vita, so the sooner it is localised the better.

Good chance of with all of Xseed's previous Falcom releases getting CE's

Not sure it'll be the same as the Japanese one though

creid

Will buy (with LE, if available) day 1 if it comes to the West. I'm playing through I&II right now, and am pleasantly surprised to see a few mentions of Celceta.

ranmafan

Eagerly awaiting my preorder for this this week. Hopefully shows up at my home Thursday morning. One of my most anticipated games of the fall.

6iFXy.gif

Nothing. The game doesn't have DLC, and as far as I know, you should be able to earn trophies fine on any account.

If you're using your US account you don't have to worry about trophies at all. It'll still go towards your US account's trophy count no matter what, just like import PS3 games.

If there's ever DLC, you'll have to purchase it off the Japanese store with your JP account. I think you'll have to use it with your JP account? I don't think this game has DLC, though, does it?

Awesome, thanks a lot. That's good enough for me. I don't buy DLC, so if that's the only downside, then no downside for me. :)

Aeana

Preparing orderrr. I hope mine doesn't ship late. I changed where I ordered from near the beginning of this month. (._. )

Rootbeer

Banned
The graphic style really kinda reminds me of Chrono Cross. If it were a bit updated for modern hardware.

If I could play only one rpg next year... well, it would be Ni No Kuni. But this would be a very, very close second. Please, in English asap!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Need some help- which Ys do i start from those that can be played on PSV ? (so all the PSP ones)
It doesn't really matter, you can start with any of them. Just 1 and 2 need to be played in order.

I think Oath or Seven would be a better starting point than Chronicles, but all of them are very different, so again, it doesn't really make a difference.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Damn, didn't know this was so close to release... hopefully we'll hear reports of a localization, and it conveniently times with a Vita price-drop :p

I'd say Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is my favorite of the oldskool games, and I've always been curious to Falcom's official take on the Ys IV storyline would be.

Top Bottom