• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys I & II Chronicles |OT|

In any event. How is Ys II in relation to the battles in Ys I?

Ys II is a 3000% better game than Ys I and it has no battles whatsoever in the bullshit Dark Fact mold. I was asking people the exact same thing a few months ago myself, but rest assured, if you can power through this battle a far better experience awaits you.

(I definitely wouldn't play Ys II on Easy unless the idea of being locked out from your items offends you that greatly.)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ys 1 and 2 have a great old school RPG mixed with Zelda feel to them. Later Ys games are way more action RPG, and I love them, but the first two games have this very distinct air to them that I totally love. I've finished the first two a few times, but I 'm always tempted to buy it on PSP all the time.

krYlon

I actually really liked the Dark Fact fight. I think it's quite ingenious.

And no it is not just reliant on luck (though a bit of luck doesn't hurt), it requires a lot of skill and a fair bit of strategy.

This game was made in 1987, compare the Dark Fact boss fight with any final boss from that era and I think you'll have a lot more appreciation for it.

Philia

I played this and finished but some months ago and it was just fantastic to play. Makes me nostalgic for more old school simplicity. :D

nny

Ahah suck it, Zava! Finally, after MANY times without being able to kill even the first 2 bats, I got a better blade (Battle Sword) and killed Zava. Not without once being close to killing it and having a shot push me through the door and out of the room...resetting everything.

Damn, I'm enjoying these games a lot but the bosses can be so cheap. So, so cheap. So yeah, suck it Zava!

Finalow

I started the first Ys today. I'm against Vagullion, this boss if fucking bullshit.
ok, done at the 10th try or something, I was at level 10 with the best equipment in the game so far, yes.

Sol1dus

I beat the first one Nd I was so burnt out I stopped 20min into the second one. This was last summer on Vita. I think I'll pick it up again now. This thread pumped me.

batbeg

I wasn't sure where to post in regards to this but was very pleased to see I wouldn't be the first of recent bumps.

Having just picked up all the Ys games on Steam for cheap I'm pretty damn excited to delve into the series. I just beat I and enjoyed it greatly, but god dammit if I didn't want to tear out my hair sometimes. I just did it in one setting and it took me 7 hours. I'd say about 1 of that was my first playthrough which I restarted when I thought I'd done something wrong*, another hour just plain lost and talking to everyone in the world again, and half a fucking hour on that bullshit 30 second last boss fight.

Seriously, I didn't mind getting lost sometimes because the world was pretty small (though it still irked me), but that vampire dude and the last boss had me wanting to toss my laptop. I can't even imagine nightmare difficulty

On the whole though, yeah, super excited. II next, then Origins, then Felghana. Though I imagine the latter two at least aren't as quick to plow through as this was.

*I kind of did, I ended up buying worthless shit and getting my ass kicked because I couldn't afford armor/weapons and I played it on hard. My first impression of this game was that it was obscenely hard and I was considering switching to normal, but saving my money the second time around showed me it was pretty easy (except for the bosses).

Top Bottom