• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys I & II Chronicles |OT|

Lain said:
I reached the Abandoned Mine boss, and this fight feels pretty cheap. Running away from the bats still has me losing health because there is no way to avoid them at certain angles, plus the timing to hit the boss... Feels, I don't know, a mix between unfair and bullshit.

i just reached him and had to stop. i don't think he is too hard if you have the best equipment you can get. do you have a comfortable level? if exp is flowing well from the enemies before, i'd go out and get another level first.

Lain

Augemitbutter said:
i just reached him and had to stop. i don't think he is too hard if you have the best equipment you can get. do you have a comfortable level? if exp is flowing well from the enemies before, i'd go out and get another level first.

I was max level, with the silver equipment.
I just seem unable to fully avoid the bats which slowly kill me while I always miss him the second he is hittable.

Lain said:
I was max level, with the silver equipment.
I just seem unable to fully avoid the bats which slowly kill me while I always miss him the second he is hittable.

i got him on my 3rd try in full silver and on hard. hug the corners and keep the bats as close to your back as possible. i don't think there is anymore advice one could give.

Yay, finally got around to buying this and putting time into. I had off on my copies of Oath and 7 to start here.

I'm so torn though! Original BGM or Complete?

Grimmy

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Yay, finally got around to buying this and putting time into. I had off on my copies of Oath and 7 to start here.

I'm so torn though! Original BGM or Complete?

Definitely Complete - I think this is the best Ys I &II music ever :)

*EDIT* - I mean Chronicles BGM

*EDIT 2* I actually just got the game this past weekend - so happy to finally complete my Ys trilogy :) Started it up and couldn't help laugh at the Hall & Oats reference at the beginning.

i went with Chronicles BGM. the new soundtrack is marvelous!

sometimes i switched back to the older stuff to compare. the bass on Complete is rad.

Ledsen

darkjedi187 said:
no I don't I cannot find the pillar to break.

If you're where I think, it's one of the pillars on the outside of the tower where there are no enemies. You can tell you're on the right floor because all the pillars will have a gap in them, and one of them is the one you should break.

i think I know the balcony. once I equip the hammer do I need to press anything to break the column. Honestly I've been at this for a while and I am starting to feel really stupid.

Ledsen

darkjedi187 said:
i think I know the balcony. once I equip the hammer do I need to press anything to break the column. Honestly I've been at this for a while and I am starting to feel really stupid.

Yes press the use key (sorry don't know which PSP button) :) I don't think the column looks any different so just try them all.

finally found the right one. I like how this game doesn't spell out the answer, yet this got a bit frustrating. Can't wait to play 2. Ys Oath and 7 were wonderful!

Grimmy

Banned
Finished both Ys I & II. Music is godly, and Ys II was really good. But despite the provided walkthrough, Ys I indeed seemed just like it was unwieldily expanded. It at times was quite frustrating. A bit disappointing since this was my most anticipated Ys PSP game, but still definitely worth playing to see how it all comes together though (especially the great Ys II).

I loved playing as a Roo!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
bigben85 said:
I got the game but reading these comments on how frustrating it can get, I am not sure I want to play it.

The game isn't bad though, it has fantastic music.

It's fairly old school (maze-like dungeons, ram-to-kill, boss difficulty can get crazy) and if you are patient, you'll persevere.

bigben85 said:
I got the game but reading these comments on how frustrating it can get, I am not sure I want to play it.
It's not too frustrating as long as you keep the difficulty level on normal. I'm just about to make my third attempt at defeating the final boss in Ys II. They're both really good games and you should definitely give them a chance if you haven't played them before.

Edit: Yay! Even 9 health points left to spare.

Xtyle

I did beat the original on the Turbo Duo many years ago and don't mind that style of gameplay. I generally don't know unfair boss fights though.

it's hard to call a game frustrating when you get the option to choose a low difficulty setting. i beat he games on hard and it was just right in my opinion.

Xtyle

Augemitbutter said:
it's hard to call a game frustrating when you get the option to choose a low difficulty setting. i beat he games on hard and it was just right in my opinion.

I always go for normal difficulty (if there is one). I have this feeling that it is usually how the game is intended to be played. Sounds good though. I think I will give it a try.

I've never played an Ys game before, so where should I start? I know the logical answer is to start with these, but I'll probably only have the time and money to play one or two of them, so I'm wondering if it's better just to skip to the newer ones or not.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Jimmy Stav said:
I've never played an Ys game before, so where should I start? I know the logical answer is to start with these, but I'll probably only have the time and money to play one or two of them, so I'm wondering if it's better just to skip to the newer ones or not.

Oath in Felghana is the best, very slightly better or on par with Ys Seven in my opinion.

If you're okay with the ram-to-kill and maze-like dungeons (aka old school) styled RPG, you'll be fine with Ys I and II.

Though you could for it chronologically because there are very slight tie-ins. Ys Chronicles -> Oath in Felghana -> Ark of Napishtim (PS2) -> Seven

ULTROS! said:
Oath in Felghana is the best, very slightly better or on par with Ys Seven in my opinion.

If you're okay with the ram-to-kill and maze-like dungeons (aka old school) styled RPG, you'll be fine with Ys I and II.

Though you could for it chronologically because there are very slight tie-ins. Ys Chronicles -> Oath in Felghana -> Ark of Napishtim (PS2) -> Seven

Thank you. I'll probably just play Oath in Felghana because I only have about a month of being able to freely enjoy gaming until summer session begins.

edit: summer classes, if that wasn't clear.

ULTROS!

You'll be able to finish Oath in Felghana in about 6-9 hours.

Ys Seven takes about 25 hours.

why no thread for Ys seven? i picked that up last night on PSN. playing on nightmare. the whole party system is weird. because party AI does like half damage and they don't even look like they take that much or any damage from enemies especially bosses. would preferred if they were sword form with different attribute lol. but i shouldn't complain. i like the game. Gonna pick up Ys I and II later. unsure if i want Oath of Felghana until it's cheaper.

DMPrince said:
why no thread for Ys seven? i picked that up last night on PSN. playing on nightmare. the whole party system is weird. because party AI does like half damage and they don't even look like they take that much or any damage from enemies especially bosses. would preferred if they were sword form with different attribute lol. but i shouldn't complain. i like the game. Gonna pick up Ys I and II later. unsure if i want Oath of Felghana until it's cheaper.

The OT for Ys Seven is this way.

You definitely want to get Felghana, by the way.

hosannainexcelsis said:
The OT for Ys Seven is this way.

You definitely want to get Felghana, by the way.
oh okay. is Oath of Felghana good?

hm. read in the OoF thread. think i should play taht first and it being short i could finish. but i need it cheaper on psn though lol.

DMPrince said:

they don't take as much damage because falcom didn't want you to babysit them.

oath in felghana is great, some say it's the best. for me it's both oath and seven.

Augemitbutter said:
they don't take as much damage because falcom didn't want you to babysit them.

oath in felghana is great, some say it's the best. for me it's both oath and seven.
i could probably switch off characters before the boss attack with his special move so i don't take much damage myself anyways lol. i still like the game. well when i get paid this week i'll pick up OoF then! ;D

DMPrince said:
Oath it the best game of the three on PSN. By a rather significant margin, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I've played through Ys Seven and Oath (second time) and I'm looking to try out Ys I and II as well. However, I've tried the Japanese version before and was disappointed that it was only running at 30 fps. For a 2D game, that seems unreasonably sluggish. Did XSeed make any improvements to the US version performance wise? I'd still get it regardless, but I'd love to see it at 60 fps (similar to, say, Lunar PSP).

teiresias

Bumping this because I have a question. I'm at the end of Ys I and have been fighting Dark Fact over and over again for the better part of an hour with no luck. This is truly the most stupidly designed fight in the history of games. Very little skill, highly dependent on luck, and its not even fun in the way hell shooters can be fun because it's absolutely impossible to dodge his projectiles regardless.

In any event. How is Ys II in relation to the battles in Ys I? I didn't have any problems with any bosses in the first game except for the current Dark Fact ridiculousness (really, I'm ready to just look up the damn ending on youtube), so are the Ys II battles more like the earlier bosses or more poorly designed like Dark Fact? I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should just hit Ys II on Easy from the start and not worry about it.

It really amazes me how such a mediocre game as the first Ys game was able to spawn a series that gave us Felghana (which I love to death).

Bumping this because I have a question. I'm at the end of Ys I and have been fighting Dark Fact over and over again for the better part of an hour with no luck. This is truly the most stupidly designed fight in the history of games. Very little skill, highly dependent on luck, and its not even fun in the way hell shooters can be fun because it's absolutely impossible to dodge his projectiles regardless.

In any event. How is Ys II in relation to the battles in Ys I? I didn't have any problems with any bosses in the first game except for the current Dark Fact ridiculousness (really, I'm ready to just look up the damn ending on youtube), so are the Ys II battles more like the earlier bosses or more poorly designed like Dark Fact? I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should just hit Ys II on Easy from the start and not worry about it.

It really amazes me how such a mediocre game as the first Ys game was able to spawn a series that gave us Felghana (which I love to death).

Ys II last boss is a whole different concept and more in line with traditional boss fights. i like Ys I, but II is 300% better. you must play it, it's a very enjoyable game.

jackdoe

There's your problem, you're not supposed to dodge his projectiles. If you have the correct equipment equipped, his spamming projectiles shouldn't be able to kill you before you can kill him. The only thing you'd have to worry about are disappearing floors but that can be remedied by choosing where to damage him.

Ys II last boss is a whole different concept and more in line with traditional boss fights. i like Ys I, but II is 300% better. you must play it, it's a very enjoyable game.
It's an absolute cakewalk compared to Ys I's final boss due to the use of items and magic.

Aeana

I think you should probably try to consider Ys 1 within the period it was released. Ys 1 came out in 1987 right in between DQ1 and FF1. I am honestly continually amazed when I replay it at how modern so much of it is. Many of the bosses are actually really cool, even though yes Dark Fact is a little iffy (though not 100% dependent on luck at all; you can control where the blocks are sheared).

As for Ys 2, it is a dramatically better game in every respect.

Top Bottom