• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

Volcynika

D0MaKvH.png

DLj7CC3.png

"Who...who am I...?"

Unable to remember even his own name, Adol Christin awakens to find himself in a city called Casnan, on the eastern end of the Ispani. It is here that he meets Duren, an information dealer who claims to have encountered him previously. Evidently, Adol was last seen heading into the Great Forest of Celceta, a massive expanse of woodland filled with such danger that even the mighty Romun Army fears to tread within.

What happened to Adol inside the Great Forest, and how did he lose his memories? The only way to find out is to step back into the foreboding woods and brave its dangers once more. But Adol will need to have his wits about him, or his second trip into the Great Forest may cost him more than just his past...

Xe93BMX.png

• Developer: Nihon Falcom
  • Platform: PlayStation Vita
  • Release Dates:
    • Japan: 09/27/2012
    • North America: 11/26/2013
    • Europe: February 2014
  • Publisher:
    • Japan: Nihon Falcom
    • North America: XSEED Ganes
    • Europe: NIS America
  • MSRP:
    • Standard: $39.99
      p9tVmlQ.jpg
    • Silver Anniversary Edition: $59.99
      vN5LTdp.jpg

Contains:
      • 130-page journal containing strategies, maps, and art
      • 3 CDs of original and arranged music from throughout the series' 25-year history (Track Listing)
      • Cloth map of the lands of Celceta
      • Logo-emblazoned compass

LANRK92.png

• Refined Game Mechanics - Ys: Memories of Celceta builds on the party-based gameplay of Ys SEVEN, expanding upon existing elements and adding additional abilities such as the Flash Move, making combat even more enjoyable and varied than ever before.
  • Increased Customization - The introduction of weapon and armor refining gives players the chance to customize various attributes of the weapons and armor they find during their adventure, allowing them to deal more damage, inflict status effects or even absorb HP from their foes.
  • Stunning Visuals - Built from the ground up for the PlayStation Vita system, Memories of Celceta tasks players to explore countless beautifully rendered environments, while the massive draw distance allows them to see enemies from far away and plan their strategies accordingly.
  • Day and Night Cycle - A first for the series, the time of day changes dynamically while inside the Great Forest, cycling among morning, noon, dusk and night, with certain elements only available at certain times.
  • Explore Environments - Explore the vast, uncharted wilds of the Great Forest, fraught with dangerous foes, some of which may be far too powerful for players to handle at first. Open shortcuts along the way to lessen trvel time across this enormous overworld (the largest and most expansive in series history), or warp between monuments to revisit old locations and discover new surprises.
  • Part Sequel, Part Remake? - With three prior versions of Ys IV developed by third-party companies, Ys: Memories of Celceta represents creator Nihon Falcom's first in-house take on this classic story. Part remake and part sequel, this retelling of and expansion upon the events of Ys IV is designed with both newcomers and long-time series fans in mind.
  • Recover Adol's Memories - Inspecting mysterious orbs of light scattered throughout the Great Forest allows Adol to regain his lost memories, piecing together the game's storyline and even providing players with a glimpse into Adol's childhood.

ygmGDJ9.png

pJVmacX.png

xRns7rR.png

Djo4V3k.png

o4rL0jl.png

MTTxJ0n.png

DFSGEeq.png

8Mdi0e1.png

• Question: Is this good for newcomers?
  • Answer: Yes, all are welcome! Any Ys is good Ys.

• Question: What did Import/J-GAF say about it?
  • Answer: Good impressions overall! Check out the Japanese/Import thread here.

• Question: Does the game have dual voice-overs?
  • Answer: Nope, just English (this applies to the North American release, European release unknown). But there's not a huge amount of VA (mainly just character intros and battle).

• Question: I really enjoy this game, what other games are easy to buy in this series?
  • Answer: Well, here are your options for other Ys games (there are others, but these are the most recent that are easy to obtain).
    • Ys SEVEN - PSP (Retail/PSN)
    • Ys: Oath in Felghana - PSP (Retail/PSN) | PC (Steam)
    • Ys: I & II Chronicles - PSP (Retail/PSN) | PC (Steam)
    • Ys Origin - PC (Steam)

• Question: Is this coming to other platforms?
  • Answer: At the moment, no. It is exclusive to Vita. So nothing to discuss!

• Question: "Hey Y's is awesome, right?"
  • Answer: NO. IT IS SPELLED Ys. DO NOT ADD AN APOSTROPHE. IT IS NOT NEEDED. YOU ARE A BAD PERSON AND SHOULD FEEL BAD.

*Much thanks to notworksafe for the images once again!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Finally get to play the official Falcom version of Ys IV :D

I hope they decide to remake Ys V one day as well.

But super hyped to play this and grab the LE! Congrats to XSEED! :)

Volcynika

Fun fact: More characters exist, but I pulled the most important ones. Clicking each character's image takes you to the website that has a more detailed description.

Also, sorry for taking so long guys, I know I'm a bit late D:

Volcynika

XSEED is also doing daily gameplay trailers or something leading up to the game's release (or something like that), so the videos section will have more stuff when a new one is added.

teiresias

Does anyone else's Amazon preorder show the release date, but say "We need more time to provide you with a delivery estimate?"

sublimit

Banned
This will be the first game i'll buy when i get a Vita.I already have a couple of Vita games (thanks to PS+) but this will be the first i'll actually buy.I have only played The Ark of Napishtim from this series but i really liked that one.

Fuck I thought it was coming out in December for some reason smh. I loved the shit out of all the Ys games I've played and Ys Seven is my favorite thus far. This game will be mine *shakes fist*

Baliis

Really looking forward to it. Not sure if I wanna play it right away or finish Trails in the Sky first though.

Was just thinking that we needed an OT for this. So cannot wait.

Also, if it isn't spoilery does anyone know whether or not this game fits in the same slot in the timeline as the two Ys 4's? Is it still between Ys 2 and Ys 3/Oath?

Dec 2 here as well. Will be surprised if it doesn't update to release date delivery some time soon.

Also, this is such a good game. I can't wait for more impressions/happy people playing it in this thread.

vall03

Since I'm a bit strapped for cash right now, I'm thinking of getting a retail copy so I can sell it after I finish/Platinum it(hopefully its doable but not a big deal if not).

If I will be able to get a Wii U/SM3DW this month though, will skip the game and get it next month. Really can't say no to Ys and Falcom.

DMiz

So, what you're saying is, I have 4 days to beat A Link Between Worlds and to scrounge up the funds to purchase this magnificent gift from blessed Falcom and based XSEED?

Challenge accepted.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Very nice OP, thank you!
I've got the Silver Edition preordered, whenever that'll arrive. I'm really looking forward to this game, but I can't help but feel this will be drowned by all the hype for PS4/Xbox One on the one hand and Zelda/Mario 3D World on the other. I really hope it does well.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Got the LE pre-ordered for a month now.

Only just got into the series about 2 weeks ago, finished Ys I & II, hoping I can get both Origin and Oath finished before my copy of this arrives; this series has some amazing music.

Kumubou

I'm always up for more Ys games. Have the Silver Edition pre-ordered at Amazon, which is both good (because it's more Ys) and bad (because Amazon's shipping of pre-orders can be pretty lols sometimes).

For you first time series players -- you should grab the games that are on Steam (Oath in Felghana, Origin, and Chronicles+). If that's too much cash, they'll almost certainly be on sale during the holiday sale (when that happens). That and the games are very low-spec, so nearly any modern PC can run them.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Finally got an email saying my LE gets here the 27th. Pre-ordered a bit ago and just recently changed to one day shipping.

So hyped. I'm wondering if I will be able to wait until I can find a good deal for this on Black Friday of I'll cave and get it day one. Decisions.

Usobuko

Banned
This is my one and only LE/CE for Vita. I usually opt just for an ordinary physical copy or a digital release if it's much cheaper.

ys seven had a INCREDIBLY HARD final boss and caused me to not finish the game entirely

I know ys games are known to have difficult bosses but fuck

ohlawd

ahhh all that stuff for the Super Ultra Turbo edition? shiet man I gotta have that.

Why am I getting all these physical copies of Vita games. What the hell am I doing.

edit: all retailers have the same LE? So much stuff man there might be some differences >_>

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
As my preorder was cancelled on amazon.ca, I got a preorder of the LE on bestbuy.ca. At least that.

Volcynika

ahhh all that stuff for the Super Ultra Turbo edition? shiet man I gotta have that.

Why am I getting all these physical copies of Vita games. What the hell am I doing.

edit: all retailers have the same LE? So much stuff man there might be some differences >_>

The LE Is standardized. This isn't like NISA where their own store has a thing or two more than normal retail stores. The LE will be the same no matter where you get it from.

Top Bottom