• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

danthefan

Just started this game today, played for about 4 hours, really liking it. Just got the third party member and am at the last boss of the subsequent dungeon when my battery died. Playing without much nuance when it comes to battles but hopefully I'll learn a few tricks. I generally am not crazy about dungeon crawling but this is really fun.

About how long is a play through?

danthefan

Blargh.

At the final part of the game now and I'm missing 2% of the map. Really not bothered trawling the whole thing again. Think I'll just go ahead and finish it.

It's a very good game, really enjoyed it.

jb1234

Just started this game today, played for about 4 hours, really liking it. Just got the third party member and am at the last boss of the subsequent dungeon when my battery died. Playing without much nuance when it comes to battles but hopefully I'll learn a few tricks. I generally am not crazy about dungeon crawling but this is really fun.

About how long is a play through?

I beat it in 16 hours on Normal. It really depends on the difficulty you choose.

Rich!

Sorry about the bump!

Just bought this for £15 in the PSN sale. I love it so far, feels a lot like Secret of Mana mixed with something like Xenoblade.

I do have to ask though, no spoilers, does the story pick up? I'm in the first forest area and I feel like I'm just aimlessly exploring.

cj_iwakura

Sorry about the bump!

Just bought this for £15 in the PSN sale. I love it so far, feels a lot like Secret of Mana mixed with something like Xenoblade.

I do have to ask though, no spoilers, does the story pick up? I'm in the first forest area and I feel like I'm just aimlessly exploring.

Ehhhh.... it has its moments, but by and large the story is token as it gets. (Which to be fair is typical Ys.) The endgame music is god-tier, though. It's more about the exploration.

duckroll

Done with the early tutorial stuff. Hope the game starts to let go of the hand holding and (bad) story stuff soon. Also really hoping this is better than Ys7 overall, but it's feeling awfully similar so far.

Some thoughts:

- Graphics are absolute garbage. Flickery shadows, low resolution look, terrible bloom, aliasing everywhere, etc.

- Game took forever to get going with slow paced story scenes which were boring as hell, and now they've even added dialogue choices? Which seem pointless? Falcom, this is not why people play Ys, stop trying.

- I like the art direction and designs, and I can tell Falcom is trying to go for a more "realistic" look for the proportions and scale compared to Kiseki games, but they really need better models and animations to sell the look.

- Combat is fun, but Normal so far feels way too easy. Would like a bit more challenge and the feel of risk/reward when using stuff like flash guard and skill finishes. Should I bump it up to Hard or just keep playing? Does the difficulty ramp up?

- Serious lack of variety in NPCs. I think just by walking around town, I've seen the same male and female NPC used like 6 times, sometimes in houses right next to each other. >_<

duckroll

Game keeps crashing when I select the tower memory in the inn after finishing Selray and returning to the first town. What gives?

Voror

So I picked this back up to finally finish it but am having trouble when it comes to Foria-Daros. I've seen a trick using Adol's Aura Fencer where every time you use it you get Skill Finish but I simply can't get this to work for me.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? I am level 53,have best weapons and armor maxed out for Adol, most accessories and am on Nightmare.

Dio

Banned
Anyone else playing this on PC at 60fps? The game doesn't have the Vaseline filter that the Vita version has, but Joyoland's PC version with the 60fps patch runs pretty great. Also, someone was able to hack in XSEED's translation so that's cool as well.

I guess the only issue is that thanks to turning it to 60 and logic tied to framerate, the flash guard stuff has a smaller window, which seems to be around what DMC's Royal Guard is. That could be a benefit for some people, though.

Anyone else playing this on PC at 60fps? The game doesn't have the Vaseline filter that the Vita version has, but Joyoland's PC version with the 60fps patch runs pretty great. Also, someone was able to hack in XSEED's translation so that's cool as well.

I guess the only issue is that thanks to turning it to 60 and logic tied to framerate, the flash guard stuff has a smaller window, which seems to be around what DMC's Royal Guard is. That could be a benefit for some people, though.

60 FPS + No bloom filter + reduced timing for Flash Guard/Dodge certainly makes it better.

Top Bottom