• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

I love Falcom and this series, so I'll most likely end up buying this game before I even get a Vita (still waiting on the 2000 model).

Megatron

iPBEe2xmfzrP9.gif

You want it. 3 CDs full of Ys music spanning the various releases AND a compass? C'mon. Thats adventurer's gold.
You're most likely correct, although the funny thing is its the two things you didn't name that most appeal to me.

I just noticed that Amazon is now offering release date delivery for the standard edition of the game! Ordered my copy. It will be nice to play over Thanksgiving.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also December 4 - 10 here. Kind of funny Tom mentioned they were shipped out a little earlier than expected but Amazon might be delivering them late.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the LE.

teiresias

Mmm, my estimated delivery says November 27th. Of course, it said, "cannot give you an estimate" for the longest time so I emailed Amazon CS, so maybe whoever messed with my order just manually changed it and it doesn't actually mean anything.

contacted amazon CS to see if they will ship the silver in an actual box. i'm unsure if they will send the message to their packaging facility.

Haha yeah the Final Boss was a real bastard.

It's funny because though I'm sure the final boss WAS a real bastard, the worst boss I remember in Ys Seven was actually the FIRST one. I'd never played a Ys game before and that boss was so punishing I stopped playing the game for months right after I beat it because I didn't want to play a whole game full of that.

Aw, man, why'd they wait so long to announce an official release date? Now I don't have enough money saved up for the game and a Vita.

Mr.Jeff

It's finally nearly here. The hardest part will be waiting for my import copy to make it overseas...

Haha yeah the Final Boss was a real bastard.
I just recently went through 7 on Nightmare and oddly, only phase 2 gave me trouble.

Of course it could be said I was a bit overlevelled after grinding for materials for the ultimate weapons....

Jomjom

Banned
Got mine preordered at Newegg. Has anyone gotten the soundtrack yet or know whats on it? I just need to know how awesome it is? So awesome or SOOOOOOOO awesome?

Ahmed360

CAAAANT WAIT!!!

OMG I cannot believe I've been waiting for this ever since it was first announced, I think two years ago?

And now, it is almost here, I want it so bad :*(

Netto-kun

Preordered at Videogamesplus.ca and will probably get it 7-14 days after the release date. I did play the Japanese last month and had a blast with it.
Got mine preordered at Newegg. Has anyone gotten the soundtrack yet or know whats on it? I just need to know how awesome it is? So awesome or SOOOOOOOO awesome?
Right here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's a "The Typing of Ys"?

It's a typing tutor minigame. The minigame has been decoupled from Zwei and fan translated, but I'm not really sure it's distribution is legal. I know Tom said don't share it on XSEED's forums so I doubt it's kosher here either.

Eh? 7 Was amazing. Honestly the best gameplay of them all.

I doubt that's the consensus, but there's so many opinions I have no idea what's most popular among non-forum goers. I personally feel like it's a step back from Felghana and Origin. Both of those built on Napishtim in a huge way though, so if Celceta builds on Seven similarly it could be great.

Personally I wasn't a big fan. It was OK, but not great - 40 minutes from start until you finally can leave town and fight things, and I found the combat system in Felghana much more fun. Hopefully Celceta's system is improved just as much as Felghana's was from Ys 6.

Psxphile

The generally accepted rumor (which is only a rumor, to be fair, but does seem to be supported by Japanese reviews and message board comments) is that the game didn't do particularly well in Japan due to the lack of Adol. Ys fans overseas (oversYs?) are nuts about the ol' red-haired adventurer, and they were NOT happy to play an Ys game without him!

-Tom

Guess we shouldn't expect another Ys like Origins. I suppose the party system was established so that they can have Adol and introduce new playable characters to the mix at once. Or perhaps I'm overthinking it.

I'm currently making my way through Ys Seven after neglecting it for months, mainly because I'm interested in picking up Celceta. I wasn't too keen on having to manage three characters in Ys-style battles but I think it's growing on me. I miss the platforming and not being able to jump, though.

I wouldn't agree. Ys Seven was a good game but as an Ys game it's the polar opposite of what a lot of people expect from the series in a lot of ways.

Bosses are one example. In most Ys games bosses are very hard but very quick if you do them correctly, every hit matters and a skilled player can take down most bosses in a minute or less if they're good enough. In Seven most bosses have tons of HP and take time, more so than high skill, to beat.

Most Ys games have a small number of skills that all serve a specific purpose, where Ys Seven has tons of skills with very few of them really standing out as unique.

Similarly to skills, equipment and leveling up in most Ys games are a huge and noticeable progressional step. Every time you level up or get a new sword in, say, Oath in Felghana, you REALLY feel it and it's a big step forward. Not so in Ys Seven, they're much smaller steps similar to "regular" Jrpgs.

Way too much over written, mediocre dialogue that got me annoyed. Most scenes were three times longer than they needed to be. Eventually led to me skipping ALL dialogue in the game.

Ys Seven is a good game but, for me, it's probably my least favorite in the series, and follows a complete opposite design philosophy to prior games in many ways. Thankfully a lot of importers have told me that a good number of my gripes with Ys Seven have been addressed in the Vita game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm a Prime member, and I'm noticing that my preoerders say 'Use 1-day shipping to get this on release day'. Did they change this? I remember getting games on release day with my Prime free shipping before. My order also says Dec 2, which is ridiculous.

Volcynika

I'm a Prime member, and I'm noticing that my preoerders say 'Use 1-day shipping to get this on release day'. Did they change this? I remember getting games on release day with my Prime free shipping before. My order also says Dec 2, which is ridiculous.

It's getting kinda weird. Though I had free 2-day shipping on Mario 3D World and it came yesterday on release date. Not sure what's going on with it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I feel even more confident that getting a Vita for Tearaway was a good move now! Hoping for a quick euro localisation in 2014!!

taybul

It's funny because though I'm sure the final boss WAS a real bastard, the worst boss I remember in Ys Seven was actually the FIRST one. I'd never played a Ys game before and that boss was so punishing I stopped playing the game for months right after I beat it because I didn't want to play a whole game full of that.

That stupid turtle thing. I had to take breaks to let my thumb rest. I remember you had to be constantly moving since his spinning pulls you in. First boss in Felghana was also a pain the first time.

I didn't want to devastate my wallet when there's Christmas shopping to be done, but I really really am a sucker for special editions with books that aren't just pamphlets.

ys seven had a INCREDIBLY HARD final boss and caused me to not finish the game entirely

I know ys games are known to have difficult bosses but fuck

Well that makes me anxious about going back and trying to finish. The only boss I had trouble with up to the point in the game I stopped playing at was the solo-Adol arena fight.

Top Bottom