• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda:OoT + Master Quest worth it for an OoT fan??

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
yes master quest is satisfying in that it is a more difficult take on OOT, so it feels refreshing and pretty fun to play.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Master Quest has some. . .interesting ways of making you solve puzzles. Definitely feels different than the usual "Zelda methods." Keep in mind everything about the game is the same as OoT except for the "remixed" dungeons. If you're a big Zelda fan then you can't pass it up. Besides, it'll probably be worth a pretty penny in a few years (if it isn't already).

crumbs

It was fun and I felt it was worth it playing through, since I really enjoyed the regular OoT. It's slightly harder in some parts, but some of the difficultly can be attributed (at least for me) to the differences between the GC and the N64 controllers. The GC sensitivity seems higher, most noticable when shooting arrows in first person, but it's not a major complaint and I quickly got used to it.

Justin Bailey said:
Master Quest has some. . .interesting ways of making you solve puzzles. Definitely feels different than the usual "Zelda methods." Keep in mind everything about the game is the same as OoT except for the "remixed" dungeons. If you're a big Zelda fan then you can't pass it up. Besides, it'll probably be worth a pretty penny in a few years (if it isn't already).

You have any examples? I made it through the MQ and don't recall anything that different.

I don't think it was. You're better of getting the Zelda CE disc and be content with that. Swapping things around and replacing rooms/items doesn't a different game make.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Son of Godzilla said:
You have any examples? I made it through the MQ and don't recall anything that different.
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the shield ducking thing you gotta do to get under the spinning spike in the deku tree.

0wn3d

Justin Bailey said:
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the shield ducking thing you gotta do to get under the spinning spike in the deku tree.

You could also roll. Never thought of shield ducking honestly.

Yeah, the dungeons are a little bit trickier, and it's the best way to replay OoT and still have a nice challenge.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
UltimateMarioMan said:
How are the load times? Are their any graphical improvements?
There is one long load time in the very beginning (kinda like GTA) and that's it. I didn't really notice any graphical improvements.

The only graphical improvement is the bump up in resolution, it runs in 640 x 480 now and supports progressive scan, and of course you can now see the game in component/RGB (N64 only had S-Video).

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Worth it in what sense? Worth playing through? Worth paying money for?

I really, really liked Master Quest. And it is indeed much harder. Phantom Ganon comes to mind as an example, he was a lot harder to defeat this time.

Anyway, it's totally worth it unless you're paying a lot. As someone's mentioned, the designers really changed the way you have to think in a Zelda game to get through the dungeons.
It's been a while since I played it, but I seem to remember having to run across lava and actually letting Link get hurt to get a lit deku stick to a torch before it went out. That had me stumped for a while, I kept trying to jump across the platforms, as I had my Zelda brain on.

Top Bottom