• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenless Zone Zero ༺*|OT|*༻ Gotta Waifu 'Em All ♡(੭´͈ ᐜ `͈)੭♡

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oh, it looks like there's a bunch of events coming along with the launch Zhu in a day from now :messenger_relieved:

gnXYyZ1.jpeg

TkzevaK.jpeg

2RI0c3n.jpeg

Felessan

You probably never played Nikke or Brown Dust 2 if you think Hoyoverse drop rates are reasonable and they freebies are good for F2P.

Nikke has a 4% drop rate, most characters are added to the normal banner, the normal banner has a wishlist where you pick 15 characters and when you pull on normal banner you only get one of those 15 characters. You have milliage tickets (the pitty system) where you can straigh up trade the tickets for the banner character without pulling. Thers no weapon banners and no need for dupes. You can reroll the sub-stats of your 4 armor pieces compared to your 6 engine disks you need that you cant reroll the substats. Thers friendship banners where your friends send you friendship points each day and you can pull on the frienship banner for a 2% drop rate to get any normal character. Thers molds, thats you earn from various game modes that can be converted into random characters with a 61% chance of being a top rated character. During the anniversary and 1.5 anniversary events they gave away a free character and dupes for that character and more than 150 free pulls. They have events every 2-3 weeks where you get a minimum of 20 pulls from the event shop. How much pulls did the events from ZZZ gave so far? Crumbles.

Brown Dust 2 is the same as Nikke, probably because both studios are Korean, just lower drop rates but they are even more generous with the amount of free pulls they give away.

Its a night and day kind of diference to how much stingy Hoyoverse is compared to other gacha games out there.

Just to put into perspective, Nikke is out for more than 1 and half year and has more than 100 characters. Im 100% F2P and im only missing 2 characters that are not limited or from colabs (I usually skip those, unless they look hot)
I played Nikke for several days and droppped - it's too oldschool for me.
But it's either ~too~ generous and allow f2p player to be on the equal ground with whales or there is a catch. And given how much money Nikke brings - there is a catch.
I played quite a few f2p mobile (pazudora, gbf, dr, honkai3, genshin, tof, arknight, afk arena etc) - there are a lot different approaches on how to handle power structure and player progression to monetize (f2p, dolphins and whales) - but practically none allow lower strata to have the same power/choice/diversity as higher strata.

Genshin/HSR/ZZZ actually quite generous in term of power structure (related to content almost non-existant difficulty), not as much in term of characters choice. It's understandable because they are casual games and their monetization strategy relies on selling waifu/husbando and not actual power of characters.
Honkai3/ToF/AFK Arena on other hand concentrate on power, you can get many or every character at 0* but they are weak or even useless, and game force you abandon some (or leave them useless and unplayable) to get a high ascension of a few to have a properly performing characters.

Aenima

Oh, it looks like there's a bunch of events coming along with the launch Zhu in a day from now :messenger_relieved:

gnXYyZ1.jpeg

TkzevaK.jpeg

2RI0c3n.jpeg
Events keep being trash. Free Ether noddles and cofee? 2nd one is a TV adventure mode event, might be decent if rewards are decent. And 3rd another login event with 10 pulls but for the bagboo banner. Makes me wanna Zzz.
If i get Zhu she might keep me awake while i spend my time buyiding a team around her.

Doom85

Just to put into perspective, Nikke is out for more than 1 and half year and has more than 100 characters. Im 100% F2P and im only missing 2 characters that are not limited or from colabs (I usually skip those, unless they look hot)

Taking a quick look at Nike’s gameplay, come on now. You really think development costs are comparable between Genshin, Star Rail, and ZZZ with this? Yeah, no wonder they got more characters out quicker. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not among the low budget gacha games by any means, but it’s definitely not as advanced as Hoyo’s games since Genshin.

Arknights was pretty generous too from what I remember compared to Hoyo, but again, the development costs are not comparable.

Aenima

I played Nikke for several days and droppped - it's too oldschool for me.
But it's either ~too~ generous and allow f2p player to be on the equal ground with whales or there is a catch. And given how much money Nikke brings - there is a catch.
I played quite a few f2p mobile (pazudora, gbf, dr, honkai3, genshin, tof, arknight, afk arena etc) - there are a lot different approaches on how to handle power structure and player progression to monetize (f2p, dolphins and whales) - but practically none allow lower strata to have the same power/choice/diversity as higher strata.

Genshin/HSR/ZZZ actually quite generous in term of power structure (related to content almost non-existant difficulty), not as much in term of characters choice. It's understandable because they are casual games and their monetization strategy relies on selling waifu/husbando and not actual power of characters.
Honkai3/ToF/AFK Arena on other hand concentrate on power, you can get many or every character at 0* but they are weak or even useless, and game force you abandon some (or leave them useless and unplayable) to get a high ascension of a few to have a properly performing characters.
Nikke brings money from the skins they sell, and even if thers no need to get duplicates as dups barelly change the DPS output, whales gonna whale. Skins are only cosmetic. I rather miss on cosmetic skins from characters i never use, than miss on characters that keep me entertained by building diferent teams.

Aenima

Taking a quick look at Nike’s gameplay, come on now. You really think development costs are comparable between Genshin, Star Rail, and ZZZ with this? Yeah, no wonder they got more characters out quicker. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not among the low budget gacha games by any means, but it’s definitely not as advanced as Hoyo’s games since Genshin.

Arknights was pretty generous too from what I remember compared to Hoyo, but again, the development costs are not comparable.
Budget means nothing if a low budged games keeps me entertained for years while a big budged game only managed to keep me entertained for a month because of greed. Not to mention Nikke story and OST is 10x better than anything hoyoverse has.

And this is the problem, in the big budget 3D games chategory, Hoyoverse is ahead of the pack and thers little competition. Wathering waves seems a good copetitor and more are coming though. And while they ahead they will change nothing, user feedback is mostly useless. BTW hers 60 polychromes for spending time answering our survey. Hang on lille fella, with 2 more surveys you will be able to get enough polys to get 1 pull.

Last edited:

Doom85

Budget means nothing if a low budged games keeps me entertained for years while a big budged game only managed to keep me entertained for a month because of greed. Not to mention Nikke story and OST is 10x better than anything hoyoverse has.

And this is the problem, in the big budget 3D games chategory, Hoyoverse is ahead of the pack and thers little competition. Wathering waves seems a good copetitor and more are coming though. And while they ahead they will change nothing, user feedback is mostly useless. BTW hers 60 polychromes for spending time answering our survey. Hang on lille fella, with 2 more surveys you will be able to get enough polys to get 1 pull.

*shrugs* I’m having a ton of fun with Star Rail the past year and a half, and I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played of ZZZ so far. I’m sorry for having fun and not being angered by “greed” (again, weird complaint from someone who has apparently not spent a dime on the game, what exactly are they ripping you off from? Bart Simpson telling Comic Book Guy to chill with the complaints about free entertainment definitely applies here). You can find plenty of FTP players who are still having fun with Star Rail up to now, so it’s not just the dolphins/whales who are having fun.

Also, 10x better? Considering how hard certain story updates and OST tracks for Star Rail go, to say that’s a bold claim would be a massive understatement.

I guess it depends on what fun you get from the game. If you're only having fun because of wish system than yea I guess this game will get boring for your fast. I enjoy the HSR story (it did lose me a bit) and the ZZZ story as well as the combat in both.

In these games I noticed there are people who just can't stand not to have certain characters to the point they get pissed and hate the games. I enjoy all the characters and never really get upset if miss one even if I want them.

I think HSR was the worst game they've done as far as this sort of stuff goes because you can't dodge and avoid damage so healers are necessary. The game limited how many healers you could have for a long time. So having a double team was very hard at first for me.

Aenima

*shrugs* I’m having a ton of fun with Star Rail the past year and a half, and I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played of ZZZ so far. I’m sorry for having fun and not being angered by “greed” (again, weird complaint from someone who has apparently not spent a dime on the game, what exactly are they ripping you off from? Bart Simpson telling Comic Book Guy to chill with the complaints about free entertainment definitely applies here). You can find plenty of FTP players who are still having fun with Star Rail up to now, so it’s not just the dolphins/whales who are having fun.

Also, 10x better? Considering how hard certain story updates and OST tracks for Star Rail go, to say that’s a bold claim would be a massive understatement.
If you still having fun great for you. I never felt ripped off, i think the content they give away is pretty good, but once i finished the single player content i felt bored from using the same characters over and over again. Droped it to never look back.

About the OST my claim is bold but true. In the launch content HSR had 1 pretty good track i liked that was a boss fight track. NIkke just has alot of great tracks, and each event adds more tracks to the game jukebox. I go as far to say there are no F2P game with a better OST than Nikke. (Maybe there are, i just never heard about them)

Some of my personal favorites Nikke tracks in diferent genres:

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The thing with ZZZ is that (and it'll be for sure different depending on who's playing and such), is that most of the characters are S rank, they're hard as fuck to get and as far as I am concerned, I don't like most of the free characters you can get via story - most belobog guys and one shy girl you get for pre-registration. I've been playing with the same exact characters for quite a while now cuz of this reason and their super stingy system is not allowing me to get other characters cuz all of them are S ranked. Not to mention the fact that some of the A rank characters are useless cuz you can't build a team around them cuz you 1) need to get S rank characters which you can't get and 2) without more characters, you can't build a team around Either and Electric damage. I guess it's a "Me" problem to some extent, but why should I force myself to play with a character I don't give a shit about and don't like? Why is the starting roster so bad (except the Ice team) you can't even build a good team around multiple elements and why all of the characters you need to get are S rank? I've tried some of them and there's no effin' way that Grace for example an S rank character, same goes for Koleda tbh other than the fact that she's the faction leader.

Events keep being trash. Free Ether noddles and cofee? 2nd one is a TV adventure mode event, might be decent if rewards are decent. And 3rd another login event with 10 pulls but for the bagboo banner. Makes me wanna Zzz.
If i get Zhu she might keep me awake while i spend my time buyiding a team around her.
Speaking of which....

VvNZTBe.jpeg

Bangboo channel clearly loves me:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Btw, should I always go for 10 searches instead of 1 or 3 for example if I don't have 10 yet or it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

Doom85

I think HSR was the worst game they've done as far as this sort of stuff goes because you can't dodge and avoid damage so healers are necessary. The game limited how many healers you could have for a long time. So having a double team was very hard at first for me.

I mean, highly optimal double teams are really only necessary on the highest challenge levels of Memory of Chaos and Pure Fiction (like, for lower stages, you shouldn’t even bother bringing a sustain most of the time). Which is not that much in terms of how much Stellar Jade you can earn. Like, MoC, if you’ve reached the point where your party can hit level 80, you don’t need a fully optimal team to clear the first 9 stages.

And Natasha, who heals, is provided, and you can clear the whole main story with just her as your one sustain unit. Beyond that in terms of a second team, you have some options:

-March 7th is the weakest sustain unit, but she is an option
-Lynx was given out for free for doing one of the events
-Bailu or Gepard can be obtained through missed 50/50s or the standard banner
-pulling for HuoHuo, Fu Xuan, Luocha, or Aventurine on their banners

And mind you, Pure Fiction wasn’t added until 1.6, so only MoC utilized two teams. That’s one optional game mode which isn’t a big deal stressing about.

I mean, highly optimal double teams are really only necessary on the highest challenge levels of Memory of Chaos and Pure Fiction (like, for lower stages, you shouldn’t even bother bringing a sustain most of the time). Which is not that much in terms of how much Stellar Jade you can earn. Like, MoC, if you’ve reached the point where your party can hit level 80, you don’t need a fully optimal team to clear the first 9 stages.

And Natasha, who heals, is provided, and you can clear the whole main story with just her as your one sustain unit. Beyond that in terms of a second team, you have some options:

-March 7th is the weakest sustain unit, but she is an option
-Lynx was given out for free for doing one of the events
-Bailu or Gepard can be obtained through missed 50/50s or the standard banner
-pulling for HuoHuo, Fu Xuan, Luocha, or Aventurine on their banners

And mind you, Pure Fiction wasn’t added until 1.6, so only MoC utilized two teams. That’s one optional game mode which isn’t a big deal stressing about.

Yes my complaint only centers around MOC but to me that is the most fun aspect of all of Mihoyo games. I enjoy trying to build the best teams to make it through Abyss, Moc, etc,. When I started Lynx didn't come for a while after. March was good but not good enough because with the AOE people were getting hit with no shield. Bailu and Gepard would have been great but I missed the 50/50 on both.

These days it's not an issue anymore. I have Gepard now and a second 5 star healer. When I first started though it was a huge issue. In general I've found HSR to be much more difficult than other Mihoyo games. There's been several times I've been stuck on the story mode boss in that game which never happened in Genshin and ZZZ to me. That Pony boss took me forever to beat. Then right after that you have to fight one of the 5 star characters the hunter who does ice damage and I was stuck on him for a bit to. I'm not necessarily complaining because it was fun to get to have a challenge but it was just surprising considering how different Genshin was and seeing ZZZ follow along the Genshin path more so than what they did in HSR.

Aenima

Mostly:

Nicole - Piper - Ellen / Nekomata (depending on elemental vulnerability)

Nicole - Soukaku - Ellen

Anomaly physical or freeze baboon.

I'm a very bad strategist. I don't like "slow" characters like Soukaku but I have her at x5.

I would like to use Anby more.
I use Anby - Soukaku - Ellen and you have a team that destroys the twin bosses in half the time needed for S rank.

Anby stuns, soukaku follows with the link chain attack that buffs attack, Ellen comes next taking advantage of Soukaku buff for massive damage. Its my main team for now. Can take on any enemies even the ones that resist Ice end up melting fast.

Last edited:
I use Anby - Soukaku - Ellen and you have a team that destroys the twin bosses in half the time needed for S rank.

Anby stuns, soukaku follows with the link chain attack that buffs attack, Ellen comes next taking advantage of Soukaku buff for massive damage. Its my main team for now. Only attack i use from soukaku is the tornado thing she does, that allows Ellen do a quick assist or chain attack.

Same as mine except Koleda instead of Anby.

Aenima

Same as mine except Koleda instead of Anby.
Yeah as long its a dedicated Stun character the idea is the same. When i reach the character sellect, i will probably pick Lycaon to replace Anby and put Anby on my second team.

Last edited:
Yeah as long its a dedicated Stun character the idea is the same. When i reach the character sellect, i will probably pick Lycaon to replace Anby and put Anby on my second team.

Yea I plan to get Lyacon as well. Add him to my Ellen team. Not sure what I'll do from there honestly but we will see. I'd love to do a team with Koleda's people but Ben doesn't seem very useful so I might just use Lucy, Koleda, Anton and see how that does. I have Nekomata but I really like Anton and I'd rather use him but Nekomata isn't bad either.

Aenima

Yea I plan to get Lyacon as well. Add him to my Ellen team. Not sure what I'll do from there honestly but we will see. I'd love to do a team with Koleda's people but Ben doesn't seem very useful so I might just use Lucy, Koleda, Anton and see how that does. I have Nekomata but I really like Anton and I'd rather use him but Nekomata isn't bad either.
My problem now is im not sure how to build a team around Zhu if i get her. Without a stun character i might go with Grace - Nicole - Zhu for more disruption. Idially would be Anby - Nicole - Zhu for better sinergy. But my Grace does alot of damage so those disruptions should work well between the Ether girls and Grace.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
LOVE the Twin Towers design and playable areas there A LOT!

It can't be overstated just much difference does it make to have something other that boring and destroyed concrete jungles with constructions sites and for soooooo loooooooong! I only wish that levels were bigger with more of them to explore etc. but I guess that's what the end game content will offer and I'm looking forward to that.

NY2SRsz.jpg
qH3KTAj.png
Zd3shW2.jpg
oaZRW92.jpg

It's such a shame though that the location around the Twin Towers is so small:messenger_pensive:

1KVhq1d.jpeg
zWu7j6t.jpeg
HZqO7QK.jpeg

Y3LMSnv.jpeg

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Shit, I need to watch that anime, I saw it recommended on YouTube and the clips look hilarious.

Here’s a mix I personally love:

Quoting you from a different thread, but I think you've missed this brainrot MV that I've posted in the ZZZ OT which was inspired by this new trendy anime deer dance. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Sorry not sorry, but have to share this Shikanoko Nokonoko deer dance with ZZZ characters lol.

Source - Post on bilibili

Absolutely amazing animation work(y)

I hope there'll be animated ZZZ series at some point, but given that there's no Genshin or HSR anime, the chances for this are very slim if not 0:messenger_weary:

They are apparently working on a Genshin anime but seems to be taking forever so who knows if it will ever happen.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Thought about installing ZZZ but holy shit the space requires 100GB and currently I don't have that much space.
I know it changes nothing since 100GB is needed for the first download + install, but after the game is downloaded and installed it'll be only 57,5 GB:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

They are apparently working on a Genshin anime but seems to be taking forever so who knows if it will ever happen.
Yeah, that's why I'm not sure ZZZ anime will ever happen, but it has a lot more potential than Genshin imho.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Absolutely amazing animation work(y)

I hope there'll be animated ZZZ series at some point, but given that there's no Genshin or HSR anime, the chances for this are very slim if not 0:messenger_weary:
Yeah, I keep saying that the CG animation in ZZZ is top tier, even above Japanese CG anime productions.

On your second point, HoYo has an in-house anime production studio which does a lot of animation work for all of their games. I think I've posted yesterday that Hi3 anime clip and in another gacha thread this Genshin anime video.

That said, they're also working on a Genshin anime in collaboration with Ufotable (Demon slayer), but there's not much news on that one yet. If ZZZ continues to perform well I'm sure it will eventually get an anime adaptation, but maybe after HSR gets one too.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Dunno if they hiring an external studio for the animation work, or its all done in-house, but ZZZ cut scene animations and promotional material are some of the best i seen in any anime style game.
They're doing some seriously impressive work. HoYo kinda reminds me of the old Blizzard, where they were putting out those pre-rendered CG trailers and cut-scenes that were ahead of anything in the gaming industry (and even movies) at the time.

Last edited:

Aenima

Yeah, I keep saying that the CG animation in ZZZ is top tier, even above Japanese CG anime productions.

On your second point, HoYo has an in-house anime production studio which does a lot of animation work for all of their games. I think I've posted yesterday that Hi3 anime clip and in another gacha thread this Genshin anime video.

That said, they're also working on a Genshin anime in collaboration with Ufotable (Demon slayer), but there's not much news on that one yet. If ZZZ continues to perform well I'm sure it will eventually get an anime adaptation, but maybe after HSR gets one too.

Those animations are not the same type of animation ZZZ uses. Those are the traditional type of animations you see in anime movies that are hand drawn frame by frame. ZZZ type of animation is more in line with a mix of motion capture and CGI. Nothing is hand drawn.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Those animations are not the same type of animation ZZZ uses. Those are the traditional type of animations you see in anime movies that are hand drawn frame by frame. ZZZ type of animation is more in line with a mix of motion capture and CGI. Nothing is hand drawn.
I know all that, but I presume that they have teams in-house who handle both types of animation work and ofc they're probably doing some outsourcing as well.

Edit: In my previous reply, I was talking about this type of fully 3D CG anime, when I mentioned ZZZ animation work being better than Japanese-made CG anime.

Or wait you're talking about the second point I made there? That has no relation to ZZZ and I was just saying that HoYo already is doing great in-house work with more traditional anime production and I gave 2 recent examples from 2 different games.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Genshin and HI3 is not my thing in terms of visuals, setting, characters and art style so I won't be watching Genshin, HI3 anime if they will ever be made. I'm way more into ZZZ (not the main playable characters though, they're passable at best imho, not very interesting and aimed at kids).

Hand drawn animation is the best, just like practical effects in movies. No matter how good you are at animating CGI and 3D models, nothing can beat the actual hand drawn animation and art-style in my book.

I recently watched Suzume and this movie has one of the best hand drawn and 3D animation I've ever seen which blend together perfectly to a point that you can't really tell it's 3D cuz it looks exactly like the hand drawn stuff but also has perspective changes and all that. Amazing stuff!

Edit: In my previous reply, I was talking about this type of fully 3D CG anime, when I mentioned ZZZ animation work being better than Japanese-made CG anime.

Even though I don't like it and prefer the old school GITS movies and SAC series, 2045 is still a billion times better than modern Berserk series with absolutely atrocious CGI and animations🤮

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Even though I don't like it and prefer the old school GITS movies and SAC series, 2045 is still a billion times better than modern Berserk series with absolutely atrocious CGI and animations🤮
Yeah, it's not the best example out there, but there's a new full CG anime that looks pretty good. I just can't find it... :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Genshin and HI3 is not my thing in terms of visuals, setting, characters and art style so I won't be watching Genshin, HI3 anime if they will ever be made. I'm way more into ZZZ (not the main playable characters though, they're passable at best imho, not very interesting and aimed at kids).
That's fair. I'm not that into Genshin (I like ZZZ and HSR more), but if that Ufotable anime is quality I'll def give it a shot.

Last edited:
Did a bit of pre farming for Zhu, hoping to have her up and running right away.
Ugh, very excited for the banner to drop

Edit.
On the map issue, I much prefer the small maps, this way they can interconnect them however they want later down the line. No need for a huge map. Makes zero sense for a game like this.

Last edited:

Yamisan

So the other day I got Ellen and started saving my rolls. Today I'm drunk and did a random 10 pull since its my birthday. Got another Ellen on the first 10 pull and her c1 or whatever this game calls it is so amazing. I quick charge attack instantly fills up her entire frost bar, it really is game changing unlike HSR and Genshins C1s.

So the other day I got Ellen and started saving my rolls. Today I'm drunk and did a random 10 pull since its my birthday. Got another Ellen on the first 10 pull and her c1 or whatever this game calls it is so amazing. I quick charge attack instantly fills up her entire frost bar, it really is game changing unlike HSR and Genshins C1s.

From what I saw it always varies whether a C1 matter or not. To some characters it makes a huge difference and not so much to others.

It's so annoying that dupes make that difference when the game is so stingy.

That's the difference (for worse) between Hoyo and Korean gachas like Nikke or BD2, where dupes have marginal importance despite being very generous in their pulls for F2Ps.

Top Bottom