• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Edge of Tomorrow 2’ Director Doug Liman Gives Update on the Sequel

Link.

Edge of Tomorrow is a miracle of a movie, and may become a prime example of goodwill and word of mouth actually pushing a sequel into reality. The Doug Liman-directed sci-fi film combined a juicy time travel twist with a cowardly Tom Cruise character and a downright badass Emily Blunt performance to result in a hilarious, surprising, and wildly entertaining ride. The Warner Bros. film grossed $370.5 million at the box office, which isn’t shabby but also not a runaway success given that its budget was near $180 million, meaning a sequel or follow-up seemed like a no-go.

However, people kept finding Edge of Tomorrow on home video, and the fanbase grew so loud that Liman, Cruise, Blunt, and writer Christopher McQuarrie convened to hash out a sequel (which, it turns out, may actually be a prequel). The follow-up is still in development, but when Collider’s own Steve Weintraub recently sat down with Liman to talk about his new film American Made, he had to ask about the status of Edge of Tomorrow 2.

“Tom and Emily [Blunt] and I are really excited to go do it. We have a script. We’re just trying to find a time to schedule it, between my schedule and Emily’s and Tom’s. But it’s one of these things where it’s a sequel whose origins come from the best possible place, which is, it’s not a studio saying, ‘Hey, we think we can make some more money. Let’s just stamp out another one.’ This sequel originated with fans of the original film who continually came up to Tom and myself and Emily and told us how much they loved the movie and would we ever consider a sequel. And enough people said that to me and to Tom and to Emily that we finally sat down and said, ‘What would a sequel even look like?’ We ended up with Chris McQuarrie coming up with a great story.”

Liman confirms that previously announced writers Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse wrote the Edge of Tomorrow 2 script under McQuarrie’s supervision (he was busy writing and directing Mission: Impossible 6), but indeed the main issue regarding when and if Edge 2 happens is scheduling. Liman just started shooting the YA sci-fi adaptation Chaos Walking, which hits theaters in March 2019; Cruise is about to finish up Mission: Impossible 6 and then start shooting the Top Gun sequel Maverick next year; and Blunt just wrapped Marry Poppins Returns and A Quiet Place but remains one of the most in-demand actors working today.

With Chaos Walking hitting theaters in Spring 2019 and Top Gun: Maverick scheduled for July 2019, it seems like 2019 would be the earliest that cameras might roll on Edge of Tomorrow 2, and that’s assuming Liman, Cruise, and Blunt don’t line up other big projects that might get in the way.

The good news is that all involved seem genuinely passionate about making Edge of Tomorrow 2 happen, so it’s not some contractual obligation:

“It really comes from the heart. And by the way, I never worked with Tom on one of these giant tent-pole movies, so I don’t … Everything I’ve ever seen him do or worked with him on comes from the heart in the most pure place. I mean, he is always thinking about his fans. He’s always thinking about the audience. He’s not one of these movie stars that thinks he’s an anointed movie star. He genuinely understands that he’s a movie star because people like his movies. And he wants to deliver for those people.”

pr0cs

Excellent!
I really enjoyed the first movie and have introduced as many friends and family to it as possible. It's entertaining, fun exciting and interesting and to me felt like everyone involved , including the actors enjoyed making it.

Shame no Bill Paxton cameo though :(

Edge of Tomorrow is my favorite Tom Crews movie. I bought it on a Black Friday deal and had low expectations... It blew me away.

Slaythe

I like the fact they didn't do this in a rush, so that they have time to actually make an interesting sequel and not a "cash in" sequel.

I would be okay with a prequel showing Emily Blunt being the Angel of Verdun when she first got the power. Otherwise I don't really see how a sequel could work.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If they were following the light novel storyline the prequel would just be Blunt's character being a god walking amongst mere mortals and soloing.

Callego

I'll watch it.

And no more inconsistent naming.
Just call it All You Need is Kill.

Do people really believe Hollywood would go with a broken English title? Most people don't even realise it's based on a book, let alone a Japanese one.

derder

I somehow missed the theatrical run, but just recently saw it on a plane. I'll be there day 1 for the sequel

Busty

Banned
The idea that Tom Cruise might start filming this potential sequel at 57 years old is oddly exciting to me.

Mahonay

Banned
Really fucking awesome and underrated sci-fi action film. Excited for the sequel. Saw the first movie in the theater with someone that really hates Tom Cruise, and even they loved it.

Also Emily Blunt is such an awesome bad ass in it.

SomTervo

I would be okay with a prequel showing Emily Blunt being the Angel of Verdun when she first got the power. Otherwise I don't really see how a sequel could work.

That would be good, it would just have to add to the greater lore or go beyond the original somehow.

Otherwise people won't be happy.

I don't see how it can be a prequel.

Also this kinda does explain the branding rename for home video if they wanted to test the waters for some shit like Live Die Rp2at

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Edge of Tomorrow

Live. Die. Repeat.

All You Need is Kill

I honestly can't pick the worst name out of this lineup. They're all weapons grade dogshit.

Fantastic movie though. Not sure I needed another one, but I'll gladly check it out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If they do another movie I hope they do more with the giant melee weapons focus from the original story. They sort of went there with the big sword Rita has in the movie but it barely gets any use.

02362aa7efbb148e17d5b3f079e79459--manga-art-manga-anime.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Watched the first movie last month and it was fun as hell. Hopefully this doesn't suck. I'll be reading the novel, the movie got me curious about it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Edge of Tomorrow is my favorite Tom Crews movie. I bought it on a Black Friday deal and had low expectations... It blew me away.

Go watch Minority Report ASAP.

It's still based on the same source "setting", the original was an extremely loose adaptation in first place.
much to my disain but it still hit all the same notes. I've not read the Light Novels but the movie at least got through everything from the manga aside from Rita's past, which was handled through a short flashback.

I don't get how a prequel could meaningfully incorporate both Rita and Cruise's character either.

HStallion

much to my disain but it still hit all the same notes. I've not read the Light Novels but the movie at least got through everything from the manga aside from Rita's past, which was handled through a short flashback.

I don't get how a prequel could meaningfully incorporate both Rita and Cruise's character either.

It is a movie in a world where a form of time travel exists. I'm sure they can bull shit a way.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

You have time travel, anything is possible, just as long as they don't make it too convoluted. Hard to make a sequel though it was a pretty self contained movie, and you can't really retread the groudhog day humor in the sequel.

Violet_0

Banned
as long as they avoid making the final act a boring, generic action piece. Because the first 2/3 of the movie were pretty great, especially because it's an unexpectly good comedy movie as well

It is a movie in a world where a form of time travel exists. I'm sure they can bull shit a way.

You have time travel, anything is possible, just as long as they don't make it too convoluted. Hard to make a sequel though it was a pretty self contained movie, and you can't really retread the groudhog day humor in the sequel.
There's no way to make a sequel/prequel w/o another loop. It's also not real time travel.

I'd trust the writers to come up with an explanation that works but the entire premise of a sequel prequel is going to be a retread of some form.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I really think those goofy exoskeleton pics early on doomed this movie. They work in the movie, but in stills they look really cheap and stupid.

Furyous

The first movie is conclusive so how does this work?

Watch it be a scenario
where the invasion starts again and he's forced to retrain in hopes of replicating the ending of the first movie without all the tech.

Was there a manga
prequel
?

A sequel leaves a lot more leeway IMO.

HStallion

There's no way to make a sequel/prequel w/o another loop. It's also not real time travel.

I'd trust the writers to come up with an explanation that works but the entire premise of a sequel prequel is going to be a retread of some form.

Pseudo-time travel or normal time travel. It's a universe where humanity fights invading aliens in power armor and also features a time loop. They can figure something out I'm sure.

Top Bottom