• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Making A Murderer’ Lawyer Alleges Ex-Boyfriend Of Halbach Was Murderer- Motion Filed

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.inquisitr.com/4276828/ma...-ex-boyfriend-of-halbach-murder-breaking/amp/

Read a portion of the motion here (221 pages) https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...6.07+-+Motion+for+Post-Conviction+Relief2.pdf

Zellner alleges Halbach’s ex-boyfriend, Ryan Hillegas, maintained a romantic interest in her even after they had broken up. The lawyer’s petition says Hillegas pursued Teresa after she began a sexual relationship with her roommate Scott Bloedorn. But that is not all Zellner says about Halbach’s ex.

“Reportedly, Mr. Bloedorn was also Mr. Hillegas’ best friend,” the petition says. “Mr. Hillegas committed perjury at trial when he described Ms. Halbach’s relationship with Mr. Bloedorn as platonic and never romantic or sexual in nature.”

As for planted evidence, Zellner says Hillegas was involved in that, too. She said it was no coincidence that he spearheaded the public search that resulted in the discovery of Teresa’s Toyota RAV4 on the Avery property. She claims Hillegas took part in other searches, identifying himself as “Ryan Kilgus.”

Zellner said he likely led law enforcement into the Avery salvage yard before the RAV4 was found, alluding to the theory that the discovery was staged.

Injuries to Hillagas’ hands, seen in Making a Murderer, are also connected with the crime, Zellner’s petition claims. It has been widely speculated that Hillegas received the cuts during a struggle with Halbach.

Zellner claims because Kratz did not need to establish motive per Wisconsin law, police did not spend any time looking into why Halbach was killed. The reason is clear, she says. Jealousy was the motive.

Hillegas also had no alibi for Oct. 31, 2005, the day Halbach was killed.

Evidence sent for testing last year included blood found in the Toyota as well as bullet fragments containing Teresa’s DNA and Avery’s DNA taken from the hood latch. Kratz claimed at trial that Avery left his DNA via his sweat when he touched the latch in the process of unhooking the battery. Zellner claims that while the swab contains her client’s DNA, forensic testing shows it could not have come from where the state alleges.

“Mr. Avery’s groin swab had been substituted for the hood latch swab by law enforcement,” she alleges.

And that’s not all, she said. She alleges the Toyota key found in Avery’s bedroom was planted by Manitowoc County officers James Lenk and Andrew Colburn, an allegation made in the documentary. Both officers deny planting the key.

She is requesting Avery’s released based on the findings of the recent scientific tests. If the court rejects the motion for immediate release, Zellner says he is entitled to a new trial.

It boils down to:

Halbach's ex-boyfriend, Ryan Hillegas killed her due to her having a relationship with her roommate
Kratz destroyed evidence (answering machine tape) that would have proved Avery's innocence
Ex-boyfriend, Ryan Hillegas planted the RAV4 in Avery's Salvage Yard and directed the search party to look there
Avery's DNA on hood latch came from his groin
RAV4 key was planted in his trailer by James Lenk and Andrew Colburn
Previous lawyers did not hire qualified experts to dispute the planted evidence

Info on his lawyer, she's no joke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Zellner

Solo

Can't wait for S2, although I suspect it's still years away. And yeah, something didn't seem right about the boyfriend's and the brother's reactions to her murder.

Wow goddamn. The guy looked and acted guilty AF in the series. Who goes into their SO's phone and delete s their own voicemails?

Edit: wait I got them mixed up. The brother deleted the voicemails, not the ex.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Interesting. I haven't kept up too much with Avery's situation since the show and everything surrounding it besides updates on Brendan's situation. So this is a bit surprising. My feeling from everything discussed in the show and the massive amount outside it at the time though was that Avery was probably guilty of the murder of Halbach, but the police handling of the investigation and trial were at the very least bungled if not compromised entirely.

But that ex and her brother def did seem off and certainly acted and did things that were suspicious to say the least.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Kratz was also recently having interviews and wrote a book on the his version of the truth, and how fake and biased the Netflix series was...

alr1ght

MEIN GOTT

Was this the dude who did conferences with the brother?

yes
IWsQvwk.png

Is she insinuating that the cops helped someone they knew was a murderer?

I can believe the boyfriend did it.

I can believe the cops hid the key.

I find it unlikely that the cops hid the key to help a murderer.

Couldn't the boyfriend have planted the key sometime after the initial search?

alr1ght

The cops probably thought it was Avery and planted the key to get their smoking gun.

Solo

Were the cops who allegedly planted evidence colluding with him, or was that just a separate, personal grudge?

The cops could have planted the key without knowledge of who committed the crime.

Also, are we forgetting that these same cops knew that Avery didn't commit the rape either and yet let him rot in prison for a number of additional years?

My guess is they had no idea who killed her, but Avery was already on their radar with his impending lawsuit that would bankrupt the department.

I'm not sure what she's claiming, but my take on it was that the cops planted the key because they were convinced Avery did it. Not that I 100% believe that, but if they planted it, that's what I would think would be the most likely motivation.

The cops could have planted the key without knowledge of who committed the crime.

Also, are we forgetting that these same cops knew that Avery didn't commit the rape either and yet let him rot in prison for a number of additional years?

That sounds plausible. I just couldn't believe the cops colluded with the boyfriend.

If the boyfriend planted the RAV then I can definitely see the cops planting the key just to get the guy they think absolutely did the crime.

Literally the first two people I thought that were suspicious when watching the show. The whole voicemail message stuff and how they wanted to immediately lead the search, it all just seemed so weird.

muteki

My guess is they had no idea who killed her, but Avery was already on their radar with his impending lawsuit that would bankrupt the department.

That is what I thought I remember, that following the first wrongful conviction Avery was owed/could sue for a bunch of money from the State.

Other than that maybe the ex boyfriend was buddy-buddy with someone on the force or something.

bebop242

This dude was suspicious to me as well. Hopefully they figure out who really did it. There was way too much meddling and doubt in this case, Avery should not have been convicted.

Kaiterra

Banned
Been poring over this since last night. I've been waiting for so long for this all to come out.

Zellner has made clear that even if the evidence presented in the motion doesn't prove Hillegas killed Halbach (and in fact he very well may not have done it, sure), it proves that the police and prosecution had extreme tunnel vision in regards to Avery that blinded them to considering more suspicious individuals as suspects and this compromised the investigation well before any cover-up or planting took place, which is all she needs to prove to get a new trial.

It's only disappointing that she doesn't decisively prove that the blood in the Rav4 is planted, but she makes a good case for how it might very likely have been without even having to implicate the police. Also the Brain Fingerprinting stuff is... I mean I'd throw it in there because you never know, I guess, but if I was on a jury I'd just ignore it entirely.

This is really exciting though and I love seeing all the shade thrown Kratz's way.

Mimosa97

There was nothing normal about this case though, at any junction of how it was handled.

True ... But I remember articles about how the documentary was super biased and omitted crual evidence of Avery's involvement in the murder. I guess that was all bullshit ?

I always thought he was innocent but not everyone on GAF seemed convinced.

Kaiterra

Banned
True ... But I remember articles about how the documentary was super biased and omitted crual evidence of Avery's involvement in the murder. I guess that was all bullshit ?

I always thought he was innocent but not everyone on GAF seemed convinced.

That was all bullshit directly from Ken Kratz. Some of the shit he said was left out was actually in the doc, other things he said were left out were just wild made up stories on his part.

Master of disguise!

lol I think this one is just someone legitimately having misheard his name.

uncblue

So the ex somehow knew Avery was the last person to see the victim alive and planted evidence accordingly. Give me a break.

Kaiterra

Banned
I think so too. Or at least man, I hope so!

I live in Wisconsin and I have a German last name and you have to spell that shit out every time you tell someone haha.

So the ex somehow knew Avery was the last person to see the victim alive and planted evidence accordingly. Give me a break.

Avery actually wasn't, the Zipperers were. But if he killed her, then Hillegas had access to both Teresa's phone and her day planner, and Avery was all over the news in the area at that time (I lived nearby, can vouch for it). It's not remotely reaching.

kingslunk

Jesus, spoilers in a thread title. Its Thanos all over again!

When will people learn.

It's a documentary. Spoilers are kind of non existent.
"Please don't post that we dropped two atomic bombs on Japan it might spoil my WW2 documentary series I'm watching"

Cmon dude.

I live in Wisconsin and I have a German last name and you have to spell that shit out every time you tell someone haha.

Avery actually wasn't, the Zipperers were. But if he killed her, then Hillegas had access to both Teresa's phone and her day planner, and Avery was all over the news in the area at that time (I lived nearby, can vouch for it). It's not remotely reaching.

He would also only really need to move the car to Avery's place, as it seems all other fuckery kind of just happened anyways.

Solo

It doesn't sound absurd to me at all. He knew her, presumably knew she was going to Avery's for a job that day, intercepted her after, killed her, planted her car back on his property.

It's not implausible. It's not even particularly far-fetched.

None of the evidence ever really pointed to Steven Avery being the killer in the first place. For him to go through the effort of burning the body but not dismantling and crushing the car while having all of the equipment to do it and leaving the car key in his own room makes him with no other dna evidence of the victim in the house makes him simultaneously look really smart and really dumb.

Top Bottom