• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Making A Murderer’ Lawyer Alleges Ex-Boyfriend Of Halbach Was Murderer- Motion Filed

uncblue

It doesn't sound absurd to me at all. He knew her, presumably knew she was going to Avery's for a job that day, intercepted her after, killed her, planted her car back on his property.

It's not implausible. It's not even particularly far-fetched.

And also planted phone, burned remains, etc the same night Avery had a bonfire. I guess he had inside info on that too.

Solo

None of the evidence ever really pointed to Steven Avery being the killer in the first place. For him to go through the effort of burning the body but not dismantling and crushing the car while having all of the equipment to do it and leaving the car key in his own room makes him with no other dna evidence of the victim in the house makes him simultaneously look really smart and really dumb.

The thing that always stood out to me is that Avery was kind of a.....simpleton, for lack of better word. To pull off the crime in the way the prosecution suggested, and yet leave not one single shred of DNA in the alleged room she was allegedly tied up, raped and murdered in? Eh....

Kaiterra

Banned
And also planted phone, burned remains, etc the same night Avery had a bonfire. I guess he had inside info on that too.

Read the document. The facts of the case indicate that the bone fragments and phone were not located on the property for days, despite the burn barrel being searched. And they amounted to about half a 2-liter soda bottle worth of material. Easily something someone can sneak on their person. And before these materials were found, Hillegas had made his way onto the property without checking in, verified by the logs kept by law enforcement.

The thing that always stood out to me is that Avery was kind of a.....simpleton, for lack of better word. To pull off the crime in the way the prosecution suggested, and yet leave not one single shred of DNA in the alleged room she was allegedly tied up, raped and murdered in? Eh....

Really (and as brought up in the document) the first question anyone who buys the prosecution's story needs to ask themself is... If the case was so airtight, why did Kratz have to pursue two completely different and incompatible theories of the crime in Avery and Dassey's trials? The only explanation is that in one trial or the other, the prosecution presented a knowingly false version of events, which is a major breach of due process and instantly brings every other aspect of Kratz's case under suspicion.

True ... But I remember articles about how the documentary was super biased and omitted crual evidence of Avery's involvement in the murder. I guess that was all bullshit ?

I always thought he was innocent but not everyone on GAF seemed convinced.

There's an episode of a show called Murder Made Me Famous that tries to shoot some holes in Making a Murderer. And it had some seriously chilling reenactments. I recommend looking it up.

uncblue

Read the document. The facts of the case indicate that the bone fragments and phone were not located on the property for days, despite the burn barrel being searched. And they amounted to about half a 2-liter soda bottle worth of material. Easily something someone can sneak on their person. And before these materials were found, Hillegas had made his way onto the property without checking in, verified by the logs kept by law enforcement.

Really (and as brought up in the document) the first question anyone who buys the prosecution's story needs to ask themself is... If the case was so airtight, why did they have to pursue two completely different and incompatible theories of the crime in Avery and Dassey's trials?

This guy might be a pro pulling all this off without leaving any physical evidence.

Kaiterra

Banned
I don't remember this clearly anymore but wasn't some evidence or Halbach's body burned in Avery's backyard?

There's no proof that the body was burned there, but bone fragments and parts of her phone were found in his burn pit after several days of searching. When they were not found there on previous searches. However, there is also evidence of a fire and bone fragments in the nearby quarry and cadaver dogs found a trail off the property as well and signs of a nearby temporary burial site. Does it make more sense for Avery to burn her off site and then drag the evidence onto his property, or for someone else to do so? Or if she was burned on-site, why would the other evidence be there? Basically none of it adds up to solid proof Avery burned the body.

This guy might be a pro pulling all this off without leaving any physical evidence.

What sort of physical evidence do you mean? Who's to say he didn't leave any? The point is that investigators never even looked. (Also see above regarding evidence the body was likely moved)

I don't remember this clearly anymore but wasn't some evidence or Halbach's body burned in Avery's backyard?
I think Avery's lawyers claimed that her remains were moved to Avery's property and that the amount of heat required to disintegrate human body could not have happened in someone's backyard using a barrel and gasoline.

The defense's whole thing was that the police and prosecutor never even looked for any other suspects or where other evidence could have directed the case. I think the point is there's no knowing what evidence was ignored because they didn't actually try.

Kaiterra

Banned
The defense's whole thing was that the police and prosecutor never even looked for any other suspects or where other evidence could have directed the case. I think the point is there's no knowing what evidence was ignored because they didn't actually try.

Hell they had witness testimony that contradicted their version of events that was illegally withheld from the defense!

Kaiterra

Banned
Isn't the ex-boyfriend the one that hacked into her phone account and changed some things. Yeah, not guilty at all.

Yeah he straight up admitted that to investigators from jump and yet was never a suspect? How exactly does that work? The only person with a clear motive admits to destroying potential evidence and you just don't look into him... At all? And instead invite him to take part in the investigation?

Even if there was no malice on the part of MCSO, it's very clearly incompetence that undermines the entire case.

Avery got shafted the first time and I'm not saying he's not guilty but the investigation was botched from the very beginning.

Yet another twist in this fucked up story. Damn, man. I hope this gets solved and they make an actual movie out of this.

Kaiterra

Banned
It kinda sucks this comes out right in the middle of the (admittedly much more important) Comey testimony, reducing the amount of attention it'll get.

Sapiens

yes
IWsQvwk.png

Yup, evil widow's peak hairline right there.

greatgeek

Banned
What makes it more strange is that he was supposedly sophisticated enough to remove all the DNA from his home (and garage?), but not to remove the car/blood and bones from his property.

Can't wait for season 2.

Literally, everyone I've watched Making a Murderer with was outraged by the series of events. It's disheartening to think about how often these injustices go on with no attention drawn to them at all.

Kaiterra

Banned
Good, Steven deserves to be free.

I'll take it one step further and say this is true even if he actually killed Halbach. His guilt was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt in court, nor do I believe that the jury acted on that standard when deliberating. And that doesn't even take into account the due process violations outlined in Zellner's document. People might not be aware of this, but the pattern jury instruction used in Wisconsin actually specifically tells jurors that their duty is not to find reasonable doubt. This is straight up unconstitutional and needs to be changed.

More info here: http://www.cicchinilawoffice.com/Wis_JI_140.html

This is still my take on this:

Avery deserved a fair investigation, after what happened to him the first time. The local police recognized that they couldn't fairly perform this investigation and admitted this, unprompted, on record. They then shit all over that.

The people who found the evidence shouldn't have been anywhere near his property.

Just like if the police don't get an appropriate search warrant, you can't be found guilty based on evidence illegally attained, guilty or not, Avery was not afford due process, and guilty or not, should not have gone to prison.

The police were reckless, and desperate to stick this on a guy who they had already done massive harm to. So he should have walked free.

Who knows what would have happened if an untainted investigation was done. Maybe the same conclusion... but it will forever be tainted.

I mean, we're all meant to get due process. But Avery deserved it more than most.

Dalek

What makes it more strange is that he was supposedly sophisticated enough to remove all the DNA from his home (and garage?), but not to remove the car/blood and bones from his property.

Yeah I've said this before. To believe the prosecution, Avery was simultaneously a genius criminal that was able to destroy all DNA evidence in both his pig sty of a bedroom and garage-but also the dumbest criminal by hiding the SUV in plain sight right next to the road.

I believe it is episode 6 when they discuss the phone messages, how the police didn't investigate anyone but Avery and the ex took the stand.

Going to need to rewatch it.

Mimosa97

That was all bullshit directly from Ken Kratz. Some of the shit he said was left out was actually in the doc, other things he said were left out were just wild made up stories on his part.

I wasn't aware of that. I'm not surprised that it was all BS made up by the biggest vilain in the show.

There's an episode of a show called Murder Made Me Famous that tries to shoot some holes in Making a Murderer. And it had some seriously chilling reenactments. I recommend looking it up.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Tremis

This man does his research.
I'm surprised I have to say this, but some people in this thread should know better and realize that this is a real-life tragedy and not another season of disposable entertainment.

Change your tone a bit, maybe.

Betty

Banned
The guy who just 'happened' to figure out Hallbach's call records by 'guessing' the password was the birth dates of her sisters.

The MOMENT he said that you can feel your stomach drop.

Dalek

The guy who just 'happened' to figure out Hallbach's call records by 'guessing' the password was the birth dates of her sisters.

The MOMENT he said that you can feel your stomach drop.

It was so shady.

And even if you did guess the voicemail password what good reason would there be for deleting the voicemails?

Betty

Banned
It was so shady.

And even if you did guess the voicemail password what good reason would there be for deleting the voicemails?

And he couldn't recall what time he saw her last, morning, noon or night, that's just nonsense.

I remember him being suspicious but I'm not sure that evidence is convincing that he did it. However, it certainly casts more reasonable doubt on Avery doing it.

Kaiterra

Banned
I remember him being suspicious but I'm not sure that evidence is convincing that he did it. However, it certainly casts more reasonable doubt on Avery doing it.

Yeah it doesn't have to be (and definitely isn't IMO) enough to convict, but that's not Zellner's job. Thankfully we've got a better standard than Ace Attorney, heh.

Kaiterra

Banned
Why did Kratz destroy it, I dont quite understand the reason? Did they work together?

I don't think Kratz colluded with Hillegas, he's just a slimeball who wanted to make sure the biggest case of his career would play out the way he wanted it to. Colborn is the only one in Law Enforcement that sounds like he may have directly colluded with Hillegas, and there's a decent chance that even if that's the case, he probably didn't know Hillegas was the killer.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Remember, Avery suing the police dept. after they framed him for an older murder was moving along. When they framed him for a new murder, he settled that lawsuit for a pittance in order to pay for a new defence. It saved their department millions.

Kaiterra

Banned
Remember, Avery suing the police dept. after they framed him for an older murder was moving along. When they framed him for a new murder, he settled that lawsuit for a pittance in order to pay for a new defence. It saved their department millions.

I really hope they get taken for even more when it's all said and done.

And criminal charges if any apply, particularly for Kratz. I really doubt anything along those lines happens though.

120v

my murder doc spidey senses tingled when it got to the bf but using Avery's property as a 'dump site' would be ballistic. never really bought the theory unless teresa bragged about working with 'that ex-con guy' or something

Kaiterra

Banned
my murder doc spidey senses tingled when it got to the bf but using Avery's property as a 'dump site' would be ballistic. never really bought the theory unless teresa bragged about working with 'that ex-con guy' or something

I'm not sure that Hillegas specifically planned the time of the murder to coincide with framing Avery, that seems more like a lucky break for him. I still don't think the former conclusion is inconceivable, though. If he was stalking Teresa he'd have a decent idea about her schedule.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I mean, the guy admitted to deleting voicemails. He probably listened to the voicemail Avery left her.

jviggy43

I'll take it one step further and say this is true even if he actually killed Halbach. His guilt was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt in court, nor do I believe that the jury acted on that standard when deliberating. And that doesn't even take into account the due process violations outlined in Zellner's document. People might not be aware of this, but the pattern jury instruction used in Wisconsin actually specifically tells jurors that their duty is not to find reasonable doubt. This is straight up unconstitutional and needs to be changed.

More info here: http://www.cicchinilawoffice.com/Wis_JI_140.html
This. Plus prosecutional misconduct. The trial was a sham and had enough shody tampering by the state to render it compromised.

LifEndz

I hate to be glib by saying I'm looking forward to season 2 because this is the lives of two people who lost years of their life in prison, but goddamn season 2 is going to be amazing if it ends with both him and his nephew walking out. Hearing that kid cry that the detectives got in his head and coerced false testimony out of him was heartbreaking.

Also, fuck that piece of shit prosecutor.

Jerm411

Man I've gone from thinking Avery was 100% innocent to 100% guilty and everything in between....now with this I don't know what the hell to believe.

Case is still incredibly interesting and polarizing.....

C4Lukins

I would like to support this, but a ton of questionable shit happened in the wake of the show.

We will see how it all turns out in the end, but I think that dude is a murderer.

Top Bottom