• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarity

Would've rather had Javier Bardem, but JDM is good too.

Or maybe RDJ...
robert-downey-javier-bardem-jeffrey-dean-morgan.jpg

Anyways, really excited for this casting.

dustyherb

Great casting -- but for the character himself, you guys worried at all AMC won't be able to do it justice? I mean, it's been a while since i've read any of the comics, but doesn't that character swear like a fucking sailor? I thought most f-bombs were either cut or muted on television? I remember a few Breaking Bad ones were simply muted, and we all remember that classic line, "they're screwing with the wrong people".
Ya it's going to piss me off not seeing Negan being able to say fuck a lot on the show. I get that having him be exactly like the comics wouldn't work well on television but I would at least like him to say fuck once in a while. I doubt that's going to even happen tho. Hopefully JDM can still bring that Negan charm that I love to the show and make up for not hearing him cuss. The governor was a lot different and it didn't turn out to bad just because I loved the actor so much.

someday

Banned
There were simply too many. Like, thousands. He had no chance of diverting them by himself.
I think if any other character had run back to Alexandria with a herd of walkers right behind them, they wouldn't be getting off so easy. He could have run in any other direction and shot a few rounds off and that would have re-directed some, if not most, of them. Of course maybe he had no choice but we didn't see how he got away.

Zaph

Just saw the casting announcement. Perfect.

I don't think anyone should be expecting a 1-to-1 translation from the book to the screen. He's not going to be dropping F-bombs (AMC maaaaybe would allow him one muted one. Maybe. But probably not.) and he's most likely not going to be as zany as he is in the comic. He's a REALLY over the top character so I think we should all be prepared for a more grounded version of him on the show.

Yup, I imagine it'll be similar to the The Governor
where they keep the plot beats but ground the character in reality. Emphasize Negan's Jekyll/Hyde with humour and violent outbursts.

Not a comic person so I don't know what this means. Is Carl going to be more likeable as a character?

Feel free to spoil...

(Comic)
Kinda, he becomes less whiny and more stoic - so it's more that he's less dislikeable rather than likeable, if that makes sense? However, the big difference here is Judith. She didn't survive in the comic, so Carl is already quite different in the show due to him having to care for his sister, and doing a pretty good job imo, which is already an improvement over this point in time in the comic. Because he has a 'job' and a reason to be left behind all the time, he's no longer complaining about always being left behind like he does in the comic (which eventually leads to an interesting arc with Negan).

Not a comic person so I don't know what this means. Is Carl going to be more likeable as a character?

Feel free to spoil...

It's hard to say. It depends on how one measures "likeability" because I'd say from a certain point of view S5/S6 Carl is more likeable then comic Carl has ever been. He's kinder, more thoughtful and generally just more laid-back. He's a good big-brother and really he's just mellowed out a lot. However, Carl in the comic isn't like that at all and people are okay with that. Because in return he's a massive badass. People like him in the comic because he makes everyone in the group look like school-children in comparison + he's pretty interesting IMO.

Diablos

It would be hilarious if the big thing that Nagan does in the comics doesn't even happen on the show.

btw why not cast Henry Rollins for Nagan? ;-)

Kinyou

I don't feel familiar enough to comment, but from what I hear it's one of his most identifiable characteristics, it's so specific to that character that taking it away is going to distance his television counterpart from the comic one dramatically

O5eFgeS.jpg
I'll really miss it if they tone down his swearing. Though I supppse it's also something that would seem too ridiculous if done in live action.

Revolver

I've liked JDM is pretty much everything I've seen him in so this should be good. I still hate how he was replaced on Shameless with Dermot Mulroney.

Yeah. I got it. I'm just sick to death of the blatant comic book spoilers everywhere in this thread.
I'm not sure this is a spoiler....the character doesn't exist yet. Is knowing that a character will exist named Negan the spoiler? Or knowing he won't be a good dude? I'm really asking.

It's the TV show thread! A big character was cast for the tv show.

Chopper

I'm not sure this is a spoiler....the character doesn't exist yet. Is knowing that a character will exist named Negan the spoiler?

It's the TV show thread! A character was cast for the tv show.
There's been alot of talk here about Negan for a long time. I know his character traits, what he looks like and I know he has a huge impact on the story, and unfortunately I know more specific details than that. All without clicking on spoiler bars. It's super lame. And the article that I was just linked to contains comic book spoilers.

Wouldn't be a problem if people used them correctly. Instead it's obvious what people are saying because they leave parts untagged.
Exactly. This thread is a free-for-all. I've been spoiled on all sorts lately, not least of all Glenn's fate. I hate it.

Sheppard

I'm not sure this is a spoiler....the character doesn't exist yet. Is knowing that a character will exist named Negan the spoiler? Or knowing he won't be a good dude? I'm really asking.

It's the TV show thread! A big character was cast for the tv show.

That is a loaded question you are asking. What you should take from this is that people are very excited to see / know that Negan is going to be around. Depending on how you feel about comic spoilers and what we all think will happen in the show because of the comic spoiler is why most of us are excited.

The spoiler is massive. Do not go lurking if you care about this story.

I'm really not seeing it. I read the last couple of pages since the episode ended and all I can gather from discussion is that an actor was cast as someone named Negan who plays a big role, and that he swears a lot in the comics.

The THR article has spoilers but the headline in the link pretty much implies that. The only annoying spoiler tagging is the occasional tagging without labelling tv or comic spoilers.

someday

Banned
There's been alot of talk here about Negan for a long time. I know his character traits, what he looks like and I know he has a huge impact on the story, and unfortunately I know more specific details than that. All without clicking on spoiler bars. It's super lame. And the article that I was just linked to contains comic book spoilers.

Exactly. This thread is a free-for-all. I've been spoiled on all sorts lately, not least of all Glenn's fate. I hate it.
I read the comics but I agree with you 100%. These sorts of posts in the GOT non-book thread would have resulted in bannings lol. But the thread for The Strain is rife with book spoilers and no one seems to care.

Chopper

I read the comics but I agree with you 100%. These sorts of posts in the GOT non-book thread would have resulted in bannings lol. But the thread for The Strain is rife with book spoilers and no one seems to care.
This show should definitely have a spoiler thread. Even if the only issue was having to sift through all the spoiler bars in order to be able to discuss the show. But it isn't.

I PMed Cornballer about it earlier today. Haven't heard anything yet.

Walking dead threads would be balls if they were separated. I wouldn't mind a comic/tv show hybrid thread with tagged spoilers. AKA this one. And then a separate one with completely no spoilers whatsoever but 1) someone would have to agree to manage it and 2) it will have VERY little activity and ruin 90% of the fun as the vast majority on gaf I think will participate in this thread.

But yeah I wouldn't go clicking on the articles and looking for info. As of now I wouldn't say anything major has been spoiler. It's like saying a new villain was cast in the star wars movie and finding out he plays a big role and swears a lot. I don't see what the spoiler is. Seems very Thanos-esque.

This show should definitely have a spoiler thread. Even if the only issue was having to sift through all the spoiler bars in order to be able to discuss the show. But it isn't.

I PMed Cornballer about it earlier today. Haven't heard anything yet.
it does have a spoiler thread though, not a lot of people visit it because 1) not a lot of tv spoilers out there 2) a lot of people don't wanna know tv spoilers because the tv show is pretty different than the comic.

I'm really not seeing it. I read the last couple of pages since the episode ended and all I can gather from discussion is that an actor was cast as someone named Negan who plays a big role, and that he swears a lot in the comics.

The THR article has spoilers but the headline in the link pretty much implies that.

The Negan stuff isn't that big a deal. But people will make posts like:

So do we think Carl will
random spoiler
just like in the comics?

Then someone replies without a tag obviously hinting at something specific. I don't think it's deliberate but they probably don't realise that it's easy to read between the lines and work out exactly what they're talking about. I used to complain about it loads but I've just accepted that it's going to happen if I read this thread.

The Negan stuff isn't that big a deal. But people will make posts like:

So do we think Carl will
random spoiler
just like in the comics?

Then someone replies without a tag obviously hinting at something specific. I don't think it's deliberate but they probably don't realise that it's easy to read between the lines and work out exactly what they're talking about. I used to complain about it loads but I've just accepted that it's going to happen if I read this thread.
yeah people need to get better at that and put the tags around the premise of the spoiler. So do we think (comic spoiler)
carl will have sex with with sasha.

dustyherb

yeah people need to get better at that and put the tags around the premise of the spoiler. So do we think (comic spoiler)
carl will have sex with with sasha.
Yep exactly thats the biggest issue is people not putting the words Comic spoilers before what they say and then not putting the entire thing in spoilers tags. There's too many people who don't want anything to be spoiled, everyone needs to be more on top it. Not fair to the people who only watch the show.

SamuraiX-

I'll just take this time to remind everyone that there are two separate threads respectively dedicated to exclusive discussion regarding TWD comics and unofficially distributed media from the show (leaked episode summaries, unauthorized photos of the cast from the set, etc.)

Comic discussion comparing the graphic novel to the TV show is permitted in this thread so long as discussion is fully enclosed in properly labeled spoiler tags and the source material being discussed coincides with the current arc being explored in the TV show. Basically, nobody should be discussing anything beyond Issue 126 at this point.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Always Accountable

Daryl, Abraham and Sasha run into multiple obstacles, including a new threat, while trying to return to Alexandria after a mission.

The episode was written by Heather Bellson (who last wrote 5.10 "Them", the one where the group holes up in that barn during the huge storm) and was directed by Jeffrey F. January (who last directed 5.3 "Four Walls and a Roof", the one where Rick and Co. kill the cannibals in the church).

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon) and Paget Brewster (Grandfathered, Community).

Reminder:

Tonight's 'Talking Dead' will air an hour later this week (as well as for the next two weeks), to accommodate AMC's new action series 'Into the Badlands', which will now air directly after 'The Walking Dead'.

The OT for 'Into the Badlands' can be found here.

Bandit1

New episode tonight!

The episode was written by Heather Bellson (who last wrote 5.10 "Them", the one where the group holes up in that barn during the huge storm) and was directed by Jeffrey F. January (who last directed 5.3 "Four Walls and a Roof", the one where Rick and Co. kill the cannibals in the church).

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon) and Paget Brewster (Grandfathered, Community).

Reminder:

Tonight's 'Talking Dead' will air an hour later this week (as well as for the next two weeks), to accommodate AMC's new action series 'Into the Badlands', which will now air directly after 'The Walking Dead'.

The OT for 'Into the Badlands' can be found here.

I'm ready for a Daryl episode. Should be fun. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Chris Hardwick said that Talking Dead would be bringing back previous cast members every now and then, as they have Rooker, which I think is cool.

Also I think I'll give Into the Badlands a shot. I'm kind of interested to see what their futuristic setting is like.

RPGCrazied

Tonight is all about Daryl and co I'm guessing. So, I doubt we will know Glenn's fate tonight either. I bet its a season finale thing, lol

styl3s

Tonight is all about Daryl and co I'm guessing. So, I doubt we will know Glenn's fate tonight either. I bet its a season finale thing, lol
My guess is Glenn being alive will be 1 of 2 or 3 "shocking" moments for the mid season finale.

Or at least i hope it's the mid season finale because i can't do another half season of people legitimately thinking he's dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom