• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Modern retro stealth action’ game Spy Drops announced for Switch, PC

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Via Gematsu:

Publisher Rainy Frog and developer Rainy Night Creations have announced “modern retro stealth action” game Spy Drops for Switch and PC (Steam).

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:​

ABOUT THIS GAME​

MODERN_RETRO_ENG.png

Experience PS generation, low-polygon, 3D stealth action updated with modern effects such as lighting and shadows, randomly generated levels, modern equipment, and head-to-head local multiplayer.
Viewer.gif

STORY_ENG.png

An eco-terrorist organisation is threatening to plunge the world into digital darkness, wiping out all digital records and sending the world back to the stone age. As a member of the counter terrorist Spy Drops team you are tasked with neutralizing the threat, but soon begin to question the mission objectives and uncover a deeper conspiracy.
Story.jpg

BLACK_OPS_ENG.png

Dropped behind enemy lines, your covert ops are to infiltrate infrastructure and undertake secret ops that includes gathering intel, installing spy devices and rescuing prisoners.

RANDOM_ENG.png

Mission layouts are randomly generated producing a tense gameplay experience as you never know what is around the next corner. Everyone's game will be different.

TACKLE_ENG.png

Explore enemy bases room-by-room, choosing how to tackle each one. You can dodge, hack or shot cameras, knock out or kill guards, stick to the mission objective or explore further. Scout the area first with a drone, hide in lockers, or even use sponge boots to move around quieter. Stealth is always rewarded and you will earn more experience for not killing and remaining undetected.

You select what equipment to take on each mission, choosing from a range of items and weapons such as drones, hacking devices, night vision googles, sniper rifles, taser guns, mine detectors and many more. New equipment is researched and added as the game progresses.
Items.jpg

DREAMCATCHER_ENG.png

Accumulate Target Points by extracting intel from unconscious guards using the Dream Catcher. You cannot extract any intel from dead bodies so always avoid killing when possible.
DreamCatcher.jpg

LEVEL_UP_ENG.png

Gain experience to level up your stats including health, stamina, aiming accuracy and luck.

VS_ENG.png

Go up against a friend in local head-to-head multiplayer!

FEATURES_ENG.png
  • Nostalgic, low-polygon, 3D stealth action.​
  • Randomised mission layouts, enemies and items.​
  • Modern effects including real time lighting and shadows, changing times of day and varying weather conditions.​
  • Choose what equipment to take and how to tackle each mission.​
  • Tense stealth action with enemies that can see your shadow and hear your footsteps.​
  • Original character designs by acclaimed Japanese studio ArtePiazza.​
  • An intriguing story of cyber terrorism set in modern-day, exploring the challenges of the world adapting to new resources and technologies including AI.​
  • Go up against a friend in local head-to-head multiplayer with Spy Against Spy!​
  • Three distinctively different environments: Military base, jungle and desert, each with different areas, obstacles and challenges.​
  • Elaborate boss fights!​

I'm sorry, maybe I'm being too cynical, but the way this game just straight rips off Metal Gear Solid 1, is not cute at all...

Some indie developers seem to completely confuse what is a inspiration, a homage and what is a rip-off. It's so blatant.

Like, I can imagine it's difficult to make your own thing and be creative (I'm not being sarcastic) and survive in the gaming industry, being a indie dev. but jeeeesus, man.

Make your own world, your own thing.

Splinter Cell was very much inspired by MGS, but it never felt like a straight rip off.

This is just boring MGS nostalgia bait trash.

Seriously, anyone that will be excited about this, just play MGS 1. It's both available on modern consoles and I thiiiink PC. Or you can literally play it on your phone, through Emulation.
You have TWO versions to play even. The PS1 original and Twin Snakes.

You don't need a third "cute lol lmao nostalgic retro" blatant rip-off, with a BORING waifu bait protagonist.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
I'm sorry, maybe I'm being too cynical, but the way this game just straight rips off Metal Gear Solid 1, is not cute at all...

Some indie developers seem to completely confuse what is a inspiration, a homage and what is a rip-off. It's so blatant.

Like, I can imagine it's difficult to make your own thing and be creative (I'm not being sarcastic) and survive in the gaming industry, being a indie dev. but jeeeesus, man.

Make your own world, your own thing.

Splinter Cell was very much inspired by MGS, but it never felt like a straight rip off.

This is just boring MGS nostalgia bait trash.

Seriously, anyone that will be excited about this, just play MGS 1. It's both available on modern consoles and I thiiiink PC. Or you can literally play it on your phone, through Emulation.
You have TWO versions to play even. The PS1 original and Twin Snakes.

You don't need a third "cute lol lmao nostalgic retro" blatant rip-off, with a BORING waifu bait protagonist.
Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Holammer

I'm all for the retro 32bit aesthetic, one of the best games I tried this year depends on it.
But it's getting tiresome with waifus in everything nowadays. Put a chick in it!

Modern Retro bla bla...

Just say MGS1 Ripoff. I don't understand the appeal of total clone ripoffs like this. You're spending all this time and resources on making a videogame and don't have any ideas of your own?

Also randomly generated... come on son.

dave_d

If they're going to do retro style 3d could they at least do N64/3dfx level? I mean seeing this is like seeing someone doing retro 2d but have it look like a 2600 instead of a NES.(Yeah, I know it doesn't look quite as bad as the PSX/Saturn but that 3d is really rough these days.)

El Muerto

Gold Member
Another MGS clone to check out is Undetected. But none of these will live up to any games in the MGS franchise in terms of gameplay or story.

Top Bottom