• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In April (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

So what would Zombie be up to now (prior to Salem)?

Two decent films (House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects), two horrible films (Halloween 1 & 2)?

The guy us just inconsistent... even in the films that are good. It seems like Zombie has a really difficult time deciding what kind of film he wants to make, so he just throws a bunch of ideas in a blender, pours it out on a table, and calls it a movie.

His version of Halloween also showed me that all of his talk about being some kind of "horror movie purist" is bullshit. I'm convinced he actually hates the Carpenter films and wanted to make his versions so fucking bad that people would retroactively hate the classics. :p

I think his biggest problem, and yes, even bigger than casting his horrible actress wife in everything, is the fact that he writes everything he directs, and he is a positively dreadful writer. I think he needs to finally step away from writing duties and collaborate with someone with similar sensibilities that can think beyond hicks and lots of F-bombs.

I think his biggest problem, and yes, even bigger than casting his horrible actress wife in everything, is the fact that he writes everything he directs, and he is a positively dreadful writer. I think he needs to finally step away from writing duties and collaborate with someone with similar sensibilities that can think beyond hicks and lots of F-bombs.

I agree, because visually he makes pretty damn good-looking horror films.

Blader

Upstream is very different than Primer, but what did you hate about the latter? Perhaps that could help in figuring out if you'd like this one.

Just thought it was incoherent (I'm sure it actually makes sense in his or someone's head, but it wasn't interesting enough for me to decipher) and extremely dull. I also thought Carruth was a boring actor.

Just thought it was incoherent (I'm sure it actually makes sense in his or someone's head, but it wasn't interesting enough for me to decipher) and extremely dull. I also thought Carruth was a boring actor.

Ah, well you may not be a fan of this. Although, Carruth is not the main actor this time around and it's less technical in its execution and it's pretty easy to "get" on a first viewing. I like it a whole deal better than Primer.

3N16MA

Banned
To The Wonder strips away the narrative and does what? Let me view a bunch of images that will strike at my heart and let my emotions out?

Lots of good stuff this month. Can't wait to see several films, including Kon-Tiki. Excited that it's getting a stateside release.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like how the OP descriptions of To The Wonder is "strips away the narrative" but then bashes Tron Legacy for the same thing. Dat Malick fanwank.

I like how the OP descriptions of To The Wonder is "strips away the narrative" but then bashes Tron Legacy for the same thing. Dat Malick fanwank.

Kosinski didn't even have the semblance of a cohesive, engaging narrative for Tron: Legacy, and had tons of filler. Malick clearly knows the end goal of what he wants to achieve and does so quite fluidly by removing needless dialogue that a director like Kosinski would have included.

Aesthet1c

Man I want to see almost everything on that list!

I'm most excited for Evil Dead, Oblivion, and Trance though. It looks like a lot of these films aren't coming to my area anytime soon, Trance included :(

Aselith

Yeah, it's barely opening anywhere to start. Just NY/LA.

Well, hopefully it does really well in limited run and opens up wide quickly.

It'll be awesome to be able to watch JP in a theater again at the very least and I wanted to see Springbreakers as well which IS opening this week locally.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Upstream Color

A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives.

626b74b875a4fa0f66c243377e2e46fa.jpeg

geebee

Banned
Trance and Oblivion for sure.. both look interesting compared to anything else that I've seen in the past year.

I'm way more stoked for Pain and Gain then I have any right to be, definitely seeing that. Will also see Oblivion, probably Jurassic Park, and Evil Dead if I get dragged along to it...I don't think our theater will get anything else on that list :(

Raxus

Jurassic Park 3D, Evil Dead, Oblivion and Trance (If I get around to it). Finally a month with movies I WANT to see.

Phanta

Will definitely go to see UpStream Color and Trance for me.

Will probably watch the others later down the road with the exception of Mud and At any price.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Upstream Color
Trance
Oblivion

Some of those others may be eventual rentals. I like Malick but To the Wonder doesn't seem to do anything for me.

big ander

probably making it to To The Wonder tomorrow for free. Will also need to see Evil Dead, Simon Killer, Pain & Gain, and (most importantly) Upstream Color.

Ridley327

Kosinski didn't even have the semblance of a cohesive, engaging narrative for Tron: Legacy, and had tons of filler. Malick clearly knows the end goal of what he wants to achieve and does so quite fluidly by removing needless dialogue that a director like Kosinski would have included.

This is correct. Tron: Legacy has a lot of exposition, but barely any narrative to support it. It's just constantly explaining things without saying anything.

Saw Trance last week. It's a good film and I really enjoyed it. Soundtrack is amazing.

The story though...There are so many twists and turns it can be hard to keep track.

goodfella

I've just made the decision to go back through all these monthly threads and watch as many of the films mentioned as I can.

These threads are really the only way I can keep up with relevant films to watch. I wish I could subscribe to an RSS feed! Cheers Expendable.

I've just made the decision to go back through all these monthly threads and watch as many of the films mentioned as I can.

These threads are really the only way I can keep up with relevant films to watch. I wish I could subscribe to an RSS feed! Cheers Expendable.

You can! Enjoy, glad you dig it. I love doing them every month.

An-Det

Definitely seeing Upstream Color (loved Primer, can't wait to see Carruth's next film after so long) and The Best of Both Worlds HD in theater this month. Also interested in Evil Dead, Oblivion, and Trance, but will probably wait on those.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Going to see Upstream Color at my arthouse. I'll probably watch Evil Dead as well (mostly as an excuse to finally watch Army of Darkness)

I saw Primer earlier in the year, and after reading about it I've come to very much appreciate it. I'm interested in seeing Upstream Color, but I hardly go to the movies anymore.

Oblivion and Pain and Gain. That'll be it. Not interested at all in any of the others. These'll be my first movies in theater since Oz. Not so bad I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom