• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wanting to see Amour? Its absolutely fantastic, one of the films of the year IMO

Other than that just The Hobbit for me, Django isn't out till next month here and I'll wait till This is 40 comes out on DVD

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
A woman is going to make me see Les Mis. Excited for Hobbit. Django, Amour, Tabu I'll wait for video. Also I'll probably rent Zero Dark Thirty for some reason, I don't know why, I'm an idiot. Hurt Locker was weak and this looks like jingoistic horseshit but I've got this stupid fetish for modern military movies. Like Black Hawk Down and stuff. I didn't watch that Call Of Duty or Medal of Honor or whatever it was called though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty

It's possible I'll be dragged to The Hobbit.

Middling reviews for The Hobbit? Where are you getting that from?

Uh, all the middling reviews that came out today.

A woman is going to make me see Les Mis. Excited for Hobbit. Django, Amour, Tabu I'll wait for video. Also I'll probably rent Zero Dark Thirty for some reason, I don't know why, I'm an idiot. Hurt Locker was weak and this looks like jingoistic horseshit but I've got this stupid fetish for modern military movies. Like Black Hawk Down and stuff. I didn't watch that Call Of Duty or Medal of Honor or whatever it was called though.

I wasn't the biggest fan of The Hurt Locker, but Zero Dark Thirty is fantastic. It's nothing like Act of Valor, if that's what you are thinking.

Eh, I've heard it's pretty rough. I'm seeing it tonight, so hoping I'm wrong.
It's only rough if you don't appreciate good films. So I understand why internet bloggers would say that.

Also, Melanie Laurent needs more english roles. I've only seen her in IB and Beginners, and I loved both of those films and her performances in both.

Did you know she made an album in 2011 and it is really good? She also has two duets with Damian Rice on the album.

Damien Rice & Melanie Laurent - Uncomfortable

Damien Rice & Melanie Laurent - Everything You're Not Supposed To Be

Do not this thing which you are doing! I felt it was the most inspired QT had been since Pulp (which is probably true as it came after the first critical/financial dud of his career).

Yeah lol, definitely have to watch it. Since there's so many movies, I try to watch as much as I can. Maybe I should prioritize it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I wasn't the biggest fan of The Hurt Locker, but Zero Dark Thirty is fantastic. It's nothing like Act of Valor, if that's what you are thinking.

No no I didn't think it was like that garbage, but if we're on the same page with Hurt then you've raised my hopes. I think I was also initially turned off because I saw preview for it like, VERY SHORTLY after Osama was killed. I was like wtf are you kidding me talk about your rush jobs. But I've since learned it was an Osama movie in production already that had to switch gears once he was killed. You know, kinda like Fever Pitch.

Eidan

It's based on a true story of a white family on vacation.

There were many families who were impacted by the tsunami. A white family's story was chosen because many filmmakers believe that white audiences can't relate to human suffering unless the humans who are suffering are white. I have a problem with that.

harSon

Banned
Les Miserables (Loved it when I watched it last week).
Django Unchained
The Hobbit
Promised Land
Amour

Movies I would only see if a chick wanted to go see it on a date:
This Is 40

It's based on a true story of a white family on vacation.

And if there had been no true story of a white family's experiences during the natural disaster, you can bet that no Western backed film would have been made about it.

A lot of these movies I complain about are based on true stories (The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves, etc.), but there comes a point when you have to ask yourself why producers only green light these fish (white people) out of water stories. Either whites are the only one who experience movie worthy narratives, or they're being singled out because of their skin color.

There were many families who were impacted by the tsunami. A white family's story was chosen because many filmmakers believe that white audiences can't relate to human suffering unless the humans who are suffering are white. I have a problem with that.

Yup, I wrote a blog post about this very subject not to long ago: http://postracecinema.co.nf/?p=31

Eidan

And if there had been no true story of a white family's experiences during the natural disaster, you can bet that no Western backed film would have been made about it.

A lot of these movies I complain about are based on true stories (The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves, etc.), but there comes a point when you have to ask yourself why producers only green light these fish (white people) out of water stories. Either whites are the only one who experience movie worthy narratives, or they're being singled out because of their skin color.

I eagerly anticipate the Katrina film starring Taylor Kitsch.

Yup, I wrote a blog post about this very subject not to long ago: http://postracecinema.co.nf/?p=31

So you would rather not have the story told at all? Because like you said it wouldn't have been. Anyways, I'll save you the time

kEVbS.jpg

coldvein

Banned
saw a preview for the tsunami movie last night, girl i was with was like "of course this movie is about white people" lolz.

harSon

Banned
So you would rather not have the story told at all? Because like you said it wouldn't have been. Anyways, I'll save you the time

kEVbS.jpg

If the disenfranchisement of non-white actors is perpetuated by its creation, then absolutely, I'd rather the story not be told. Never mind the fact that the story isn't being told here in the first place, considering that the people most effected by the disaster are blurred backdrops in their own tragedy.

Guys... go watch Amour. I already watched it and it was a great movie. I knew nothing about the movie beforhand (got into the cinema for free) and was suprised about how good this movie is.

Im gonna watch Hobbit,Zero Dark Thirty and Django(who wouldnt?)

I'm watching Taxi Driver over and over again for this long ass essay I have to write on it. One of the few films not dulled by repeated viewing.

Sloane

Banned
Didn't know Promised Land was already coming out, read the script a while ago, looking forward to the film. Other than that and Django... eh.

Will definitely see Django. Will probably end up seeing Jack Reacher, too, surprisingly. The trailers really ended up winning me over.

harSon

Banned
I wish I still lived in Santa Cruz. The Del Mar theater was pretty awesome for limited releases, and the interior was awesome to boot. Plus I lived a mere 3-5 minute walk from the place: http://www.thenick.com/

Now that I'm back in San Jose, I have to drive a good 20+ minutes to find the same limited releases (if they're even playing near here), and within an infinitely shittier venue.

Didn't know Promised Land was already coming out, read the script a while ago, looking forward to the film. Other than that and Django... eh.

I'd be curious to know if the ending was changed at all. That's the only part that really bothered me.

Erasus

They all seem good. Though Hobbit, Djingo, Promised Land and zero Dark Thirty seems the most interesting

But Ill wait for blu-rays :3

Wilbur

Banned
God I hope Django can be Inglourious levels of great.

Keep the faith. It will be.

As much as I've looked forward to films, only five have had me absolutely frothing at the cock waiting in anticipation for it coming out, as opposed to seeing it and then falling in love or whatever:

TDK
Inglourious Basterds
Prometheus
TDKR
Django

They range from very disappointed but still kinda enjoyed it (Prometheus), really enjoyed it and think its great but it isnt GOAT (TDK/TDKR) and holy shit that film makes my anus burst in delight (Basterds).

Django will be the latter. I'm sure of it.

As for Django, I've heard almost all GREAT things except one friend who said he'd only give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 and that it's his least favorite from QT. But we shall see. IB only gets better with each viewing, so hopefully it's more like that.

Fuck all those films, Monsters Inc is back this month. They finally put that thing back where it came from.

I heard a rumor that Disney pulled that re-release, but it's gotta be complete bullshit considering it comes out in like two weeks.

Wilbur

Banned
Also, not to turn this into ranking city, but out of this month's released there's a few I very much want to see, and then Django which I'm well excited (BUT I'M BRITISH SO ITS NOT UNTIL JANUARY FUCK A SWAN)

(10/10) Inglourious Basterds > Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction > Reservoir Dogs > (9/10) Kill Bill Vol. 1 > (8/10) Kill Bill Vol. 2 > (7/10) Death Proof

Tarantino is my <3
he will never </3
fuck you ridley
prometheus </3 :'(

ALSO when are the Oscar nominees announced?

I heard a rumor that Disney pulled that re-release, but it's gotta be complete bullshit considering it comes out in like two weeks.

I'd be surprised, seems like easy money for them, and makes a bunch of sense what with Monsters Uni on the way next from Pixar. Only reason I could see for a pull would be them underestimating the success of Wreck-It-Ralph, or something.

It's not out until January for me anyway, so eh. Likewise for Django, fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom