• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Wow, crowded month.

The Hobbit
Django
Les Mis
Zero Dark Thirty
This is 40 (maybe)

Really excited to watch Hobbit (regardless of reviews) and Django. I just recently got pretty excited to watch Les Mis, worried it will be oscar bait though. Kind of interested in the last 2.

First month all year I plan to go to the movies more than once.

Zero Dark Thirty
Django
Les Mis

What's the run time on Les Mis by the way?

Maybe from the middling reviews? It's been called uneventful and bloated multiple times now.

Apparently the scene of Gandalf and the dwarves enlisting Bilbo takes 30 GODDAMN MINUTES, and filled with enough physical comedy that it looks like a vaudville performance from the 20s.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Apparently the scene of Gandalf and the dwarves enlisting Bilbo takes 30 GODDAMN MINUTES, and filled with enough physical comedy that it looks like a vaudville performance from the 20s.

Well they are taking a relatively short and simple story and stretching it across 3 movies, gotta fill that time with something I guess.

Fjordson

Definitely going to see Django day two (will be be busy on Christmas, sorry Quentin) and thinking about going to Les Mis with the wife. Literally never experienced it in any format before, but I liked both trailers.

And is Zero Dark Thirty still getting a limited release in LA and NYC this month? Will probably be seeing it in LA if so, though I heard it may be pushed back to January? Either way, I'm pretty interested in catching that.

I want to see The Hobbit mostly because of my love for the source material, Martin Freeman, and my enjoyment of the first trilogy, but the early reviews make it sound pretty mediocre. I'll probably see it anyway just to find out for myself.

How has the buzz been on West of Memphis? I'm shocked someone would tread on that ground after the life-altering work of Berlinger/Sinofsky, but the names behind it have me interested and I always feel like there's more story to tell in that case.

Definites for me this month are Django Unchained, This Is 40, Zero Dark Thirty (against my better judgment... thought Hurt Locker was extremely overrated), and Amour. Will probably see The Guilt Trip and Jack Reacher, time / buzz permitting. Thanks DP, and thanks MOVIEPASS!

Blader

And is Zero Dark Thirty still getting a limited release in LA and NYC this month? Will probably be seeing it in LA if so, though I heard it may be pushed back to January? Either way, I'm pretty interested in catching that.

The wide release was pushed to next month, but it's still opening in NY/LA on the 19th.

Eidan

Well they are taking a relatively short and simple story and stretching it across 3 movies, gotta fill that time with something I guess.

And it looks like that was an even more problematic decision than I could have imagined.

Hobbit and Django for sure. However Tom Cruise's One Shot sounds interesting. Werner Herzog as the villain. That alone sounds worth the price of admission imo.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Out of the top listed movies in the OP, the most interesting by far is Amour. Saw the trailer ages ago so I forgot about the movie but that to me is my kind of movie, especially coming from Haneke a hugely talented film maker who made one of my favorite films, Hidden.

I'm not much of a film goer but I'll definitely grab it when I can.

Django, Hobbit, ZDT(whenever that comes out in my area), Armor(eventually), Les Miserables and...yeah.

The Impossible is "white people overcome and thousands of brown people die but don't worry the white people learn something." It's the worst kind of sentimental, imperialist tripe.

It's a soft j, not a silent j. "Jango" is basically correct, although "zhango" is apparently the phonetic spelling. Like... "jshango" or something.

For UK, only Amour and Les Miserables will be showing.

Cloud Atlas is a perfect Christmas movie, though for people who still haven't seen it. It should get an extra push if marketing was smart.

kaskade

Django Unchained definitely. Jack Reacher and Zero Dark Thirty look pretty good as well.

I can't say I really care to see The Hobbit though.

dorkimoe

Doubt west of Memphis will be anywhere near me :(. So probably just django and reacher. Maybe hobbit.

And zero dark. Lets hope it's accurate

So the daughter's "attack" in Haneke's Amour... heart attack or what?

edit: Just wiki'd it:
"Anne suffers a stroke which paralyses her on one side of her body."

An-Det

For new movies it'll be The Hobbit and Django Unchained for me. In addition, I went to see Reservoir Dogs yesterday and am going to see Pulp Ficiton at the theater tonight with some friends. It costs a bit more than the blu ray, but seeing these two with an enthusiastic crowd is worth it.

Jacob

The Hobbit and Django Unchained have been my most anticipated movies all year. The Hobbit I have been especially looking forward to, despite having some reservations about it long before the middling reviews came in. Still, those two are both definites for me. I might go see Zero Dark Thirty since the trailer impressed me and I've heard that it's not too jingoistic but I'll read some more impressions of it before making a decision. GAF has gotten me somewhat interested in Les Mis but I've never seen the musical so I'll probably pass on that one.

My man Ewan don't take no shit.

Edit: LOL I saw what you wrote, Ex! But I won't repost it for obvious reasons. But you should know we have a lot of Jewish, Black and Gay people on this forum and that shit doesn't fly.

Shambles

I just started to restart watching Stargate SG1 from the very beginning. I won't be able to make it to a movie theatre for months. :p

My man Ewan don't take no shit.

Edit: LOL I saw what you wrote, Ex! But I won't repost it for obvious reasons. But you should know we have a lot of Jewish, Black and Gay people on this forum and that shit doesn't fly.

Ha yeah, it actually had to do with me just finding out the publicist didn't want that info out there.

I'm all in favor for Hispanic cinema, so I can't hate the Impossible knowing how astute it was for its creator to put it together. It is a film about him breaking into the mainstream american public, what did you really expect him to do, it was his intention all along to make a mainstream film.

Quake1028

In order of excitement:

The Hobbit
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
This is 40
Jack Reacher
Promised Land

I hope and expect the first 3 to be Top 10 worthy.

Inglourious Basterds > Pulp Fiction > Jackie Brown > Reservoir Dogs > Kill Bill Vol. 2 > Death Proof > Kill Bill Vol. 1

Those are my facts.

Inglorious Basterds is easily his worst film (has a great villain though). It's right next to Death Proof for me.

Kill Bill is B-movie level bad but it's supposed to be which makes it insanely entertaining. Pulp is still his best and I don't think he's ever going to make a film like it again.

Hobbit, Les Mis and ZDT are my three.

Slate: 'This is 40" about as funny as a hemorrhoid

In a scene midway through Judd Apatow’s This Is 40, Debbie (played by Leslie Mann) walks in on her husband, Pete (Paul Rudd), in a position that’s beyond compromising. Spread-eagled on the bed with a mirror between his legs, Pete is attempting to get a look at some sort of mysterious bump on his anus. After she’s guilt-tripped into helping scope it out—as Pete points out, he watched her have two babies—Debbie scoffs “That’s a hemorrhoid,” and stalks from the room, disgusted.

I’ll leave you to decide whether that scene—sort of the reductio ad absurdum of the now-institutional Apatow Big Grossout—is funny.
(Like most of the rest of this nearly three-hour-long domestic comedy, it wasn’t to me.) But in retrospect, what struck me about the visit to Paul Rudd’s perineum is that it isn’t even the furthest this movie takes us up a character’s ass. Later, when Debbie forces Paul and their daughters to embark on a family health kick, we’re treated to footage from a colonoscopy check-up, the camera tunneling its way through Debbie’s lower intestine. (Wonder if Mann used a stand-in?) The visual pun is almost too perfect, since This Is 40 is a movie that takes its creator on the longest journey he has yet made up his own ass.

Can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed. Funny People was indulgent, unrelatable, and boring. This doesn't seem any different.

There’s an embarrassing montage in the wildly uneven Funny People where Leslie Mann and the Apatow girls entreat their houseguests, Seth Rogen and Adam Sandler, to engage in a round of the “peanut-butter game”—that is, to lie on the kitchen floor while a dog licks peanut butter off their faces. This Is 40 is, essentially, 134 straight minutes of the peanut-butter game. I advise picking up a jar of Skippy and playing it yourself at home.

Oh god--it's a full movie of one of the worst/most forced scenes of Funny People. DO NOT WANT.

FACE

Banned
"This Is 40 is a movie that takes its creator on the longest journey he has yet made up his own ass."

OH SHIT!

As big of a fan I am of 40-year old virgin and knocked-up, I just can't muster any energy for this one. Even Devin Faraci, who's a huge Apatow fanboy, couldn't defend this one.

Dresden

Will probably see django, hobbit, reacher, les mis, some other stuff.

while I'm totally down with Cruise being The Man in some gnarly action movie, having read the book before it's still really difficult to disassociate the mental image of a middle-aged bulking ex-MP white dude with 250 pounds of muscle (like a gorilla, he's sometimes described) with the new Reacher, as in Cruise, the diminutive Scientologist chap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom