• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15,000 Bees swarm the U.S. Capitol building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Washington (CNN)In an unusual sight on Capitol Hill Friday afternoon, beekeepers were called in to capture and remove about 15,000 honey bees that had swarmed around the main Senate entrance of the U.S. Capitol Building, frightening onlookers before landing in a tree.

Three volunteer beekeepers, including one who is a top congressional aide, worked carefully but without protective suits to capture the queen and her thousands of offspring.

The bees had been out of their nest in search of a new, larger home, according to Rachel Perry of Capitol Bee Care, an organization that works to protect honey bee colonies that, for a variety of reasons, are dying off in large numbers. Wearing just a scarf hanging over her head, Perry sat patiently beneath the tree luring the bees into a hole in a medium-sized cardboard box that was sealed with gaffers tape, gently nudging with a brush the last stragglers inside.

U.S. Capitol Police officers, one carrying a large automatic rifle that probably wasn't going to help him against the bees, cordoned off the area with yellow tape and kept passersby at bay. They gazed with amusement as the beekeepers did their daring work, a welcome distraction from their typical police duties. The beekeepers explained to the officers that no one risked getting stung because when bees leave their nests in search of another, they fill up with honey first, so they can survive the journey. Once packed with honey, they are unlikely to sting.

Lawmakers from both sides of the Capitol had left Washington after their last votes Thursday so they were not around when the bees arrived. Their absence meant that Cynthia Martin, a lawyer who is chief of staff to Rep. John Conyers, D-Michigan, was able to run over to the Senate side after getting word of the swarm.

Martin, who described herself as a honeybee hobbyist, hugged the other two beekeepers after loading the box of bees into her car.

"Thank you so much for your help," she said. "My first swarm that I actually captured!"

Before pulling away, Martin said, "The only thing that is scary is when you're driving and a bee gets loose." She said she would bring them to her house to join another nest she already cares for in her backyard.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/19/polit...?sr=fb062015capitolhillhoneybees933aStoryLink

150619165522-beekeepers-3-ted-barrett-exlarge-169.jpg

That's some heavy artillery for a swarm of bees.

Nosgotham

I LOvE when bees swarm my house. The most beautiful flowers bloom like crazy. You step outside and all you hear is bzzzzzz

Zaptruder

Banned
What the fuck is the thought process of the guy carrying around a huge machine gun when bees are the problem?

What? Crowd control? People might run out of the building in a panic? I might be able to hit some bees with this machine gun?

Is that a real picture, or just an out of context image of some police man holding a giant machine gun and smiling?

What the fuck is the thought process of the guy carrying around a huge machine gun when bees are the problem?

What? Crowd control? People might run out of the building in a panic? I might be able to hit some bees with this machine gun?

Is that a real picture, or just an out of context image of some police man holding a giant machine gun and smiling?

It's the US. I thought everyone just walked around like that here.

Kaladin

It's real....I assume the lady in the back is the woman that took the bees home. The riffle is probably standard for White House patrols.

Nivash

Jokes aside he looks like Capitol Police. They're pretty heavily armed by default because they're the first line of defense if there's an attack.

10042301_H11383583-600x436.jpg

R2D4

Banned

He's Capital Security. Oh no a security guard for the US Capital carrying a rifle. The horror.

Jokes aside he looks like Capitol Police. They're pretty heavily armed by default because they're the first line of defense if there's an attack.

10042301_H11383583-600x436.jpg

Yep, they're always armed like that. It's always a bit unnerving being in a crowded metro station when there's a bunch of them standing around with their huge guns.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
They were protesting to save their lives. This is the only way to get noticed so their species survives.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
U.S. Capitol Police officers, one carrying a large automatic rifle that probably wasn't going to help him against the bees
The
U.S. Capitol Police officers, one carrying a large automatic rifle that probably wasn't going to help him against the bees
fuck ?
Could be Africanized bees. Better safe than sorry.
Oh. XD

fake edit: I see post 18.

gatling

I remember thinking someone left a black shirt hanging over a tree in my parents house and went to look at it. As I got closer it was moving and buzzing and yep, a giant swam of bees were just clumped together in migration. Called a sweet old man doing this service for free (yay bee bucks) that came and told some jolly stories while collecting them in what looked like giant bee tupperware. Seemed to really love his work. Gave him a tea while he talked about bees for about an hour.

JCizzle

He's Capital Security. Oh no a security guard for the US Capital carrying a rifle. The horror.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. We're really upset that we have hardcore people guarding one of the most sensitive locations on earth?

Enron

Banned

You realize this guy is US Capitol police, as in the guys who protect the halls of government. That's why they are heavily armed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom