• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 Students Charged in Penn State Hazing Death

Monocle

The details of the case are disgusting. Throw the book at those brutish dickbags. They don't deserve freedom for a long time.

theaface

One of the most revolting things I've read in a long time. That poor poor guy was in desperate need of help and could've had it many times over, but those fucking idiots did the exact opposite of the right thing at each and every opportunity. I hope a judge really throws the book at them hard.

People hoping for justice are setting themselves up for disappointment. These are rich white kids we're talking about here.

They'll get off scot free and all go on to have succesful careers in banking and consulting.

Greddleok

Why do Americans do this frat stuff? It's so ridiculous and from what it seems, a purely American thing. Where does it even come from?

CDX

JEEZ. Hazing culture can sometimes be bad enough as it is.

But this kid fell down a flight of stairs head first and NOBODY called for help right away. And that fall down the stairs was just the start of his misfortune.

Throw the book at those frat brothers.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I wonder if there any studies showing a correlation between sociopaths and fraternities. Or was it simply a result of the bystander effect? Either way, there wasn't a whole lot of give a crap going on there.

Why do Americans do this frat stuff? It's so ridiculous and from what it seems, a purely American thing. Where does it even come from?

Some join to make friends, meet sorority girls, party, or because it looks good on a resume plus the networking can land fellow members (AKA "brothers") jobs.

ColdPizza

Banned
Maybe these kids get the book thrown at them but it won't fundamentally change Greek life. Most other fraternities won't learn a damn thing from this because they're so insulated from news like this.

Frats are just baby cops in training.

Hypron

Hazing is definitely not an American only thing. My father told me of the hazing he went through while in engineering school in France and while it wasn't dangerous, it sounded really degrading.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If every single social frat were shut down over night I don't think anything of value would be lost that couldn't be got else where in a far less toxic and dangerous manner.

People hoping for justice are setting themselves up for disappointment. These are rich white kids we're talking about here.

They'll get off scot free and all go on to have succesful careers in banking and consulting.

There is a shit ton of evidence including stuff about them trying to cover it up. All 18 might not be going to jail and I'm sure we'll see some plea deals but these dudes are generally fucked.

RPGCrazied

Wow. Reading the whole article on the site I gathered they tortured this guy. Lock them up and throw away the key.

Donos

It's not a pure American thing, there are enough "Burschenschaften" in Germany which have similar stuff. A guy from France once told me similar things. But surely america is one of the most prominent countries. It`s also because it's shown in movies/series that much while frats from other countries rather fly under the radar.

Reading the article it reminds me of Burning Sands (netflix) which ended a bit like that.

Sulik2

If there is a University in this country that needs to be shut down and burned to the ground Penn St is it.

Fuchsdh

Hazing is definitely not an American only thing. My father told me of the hazing he went through while in engineering school in France and while it wasn't dangerous, it sounded really degrading.

Yep. And it's not a frat-only issue either (women's binge drinking in many western countries is now equal with men.) It's just easier to blame frats because then you can act like you'd never do that and feel superior that you weren't with that crowd in college.

Yep. And it's not a frat-only issue either (women's binge drinking in many western countries is now equal with men.) It's just easier to blame frats because then you can act like you'd never do that and feel superior that you weren't with that crowd in college.

I do feel superior for making friends without trying to kill them with alcohol first, yes.

Friendship and fidelity my ass.

I was a beta in college and its actually men of principle lol. Me and my buddy joined cuz they threw the best parties on our campus. I can't believe they would treat someone like that and just leave him to die.

We definitely got hazed and one example is on big brother night they rent a bar and feed the pledges drinks till they Throw up. We had some dudes have breakdowns during hell week. It all seems like fun and games at the time and its just seen as a right of passage or a way to weed out the weak I guess. I became super close with my pledge bros and I didn't have a negative experience myself.

The most dangerous thing other than the drinking in the middle of hell week they told us it was time for innitiation.

so we dress up in our suits and they put us all in a dark room with sacks on our heads so we cant see. They put sugar or salt in your hard and tell you it's the ashes of the founders and if you loose it you're out. The brothers then turn on a bunch of heaters in this little hidden room in the attic and watch as the pledges panic when the fake ashes start to dissolve. It felt like maybe an hour before they let us out of that room.

Jag

Frankly i'm surprised more kids are killed or seriously injured from hazing. The hazing at my old frat wasn't too bad and if someone got sick or really freaked out, they took care of you immediately.

I actually did freak out once when I was a freshman pledging. They kidnapped us, blindfolded and drove us to a remote place in the woods at night. In reality it was like a mile from campus and had a straight road leading to it. The idea was that the 15 of us would bond on the walk back. My best friends came out of that group of guys.

We were drinking on the way out. As soon as the car stopped, i punched someone in the face, ripped off my mask and bolted for the woods. They caught me and apologized for freaking me out and drove us all back to campus.

I should add that I was very anti-fraternity and painfully shy. I met a friend who was rushing and liked the guys I met. It ended up being the best thing for me because they really helped me out of my shell and was a fantastic support group during my 4 years. Obviously experiences are different, but mine was positive.

So fuck these guys and I hope they rot in jail, but not every experience is as horrible as this one.

that's horrible. if he'd have gotten any kind of help whatsoever in those 12 hours instead of a bunch of selfish dicks making the situation worse and then covering their own ass he'd probably still be here.

hope it haunts them forever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really need to read that full article. It's astounding the number of times they explicitly saw how distressed this guy was and either physically abused him further or ignored him. Lock them all up and nuke the frat.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's a fucking horror show in the article :( Very disturbing.

RyanW

If every single social frat were shut down over night I don't think anything of value would be lost that couldn't be got else where in a far less toxic and dangerous manner.

If all frats were the same then sure. I guess just like in everything else it only takes a portion of a group to make everyone look bad

About a half an hour after the fall, at 11:14 p.m., a newly initiated member saw Piazza lying on the couch, looking "horrible," he later told the grand jury. He saw Piazza "thrashing and making weird movements on the couch" and screamed at the fraternity brothers for help, stressing that Piazza needed to go to the hospital because he could have a concussion. One brother shoved the newly initiated member into a wall and said they had it under control.

Important life advice - never threaten to call the police or an ambulance. Call them, then tell anyone interested to prepare for their arrival.

The people advising you to do otherwise are probably up to no good.

RyanW

The only people that think this are those that were in frats

It would probably depend on what you did in the fraternity. If you had a leadership role or worked on projects or in committee positions and did well in it that could help you get an actual job in a similar area, I don't think it would matter if the person on the other end is Greek or not. Simply just putting your letters on a resume probably isn't going to help.

Greddleok

It's not a pure American thing, there are enough "Burschenschaften" in Germany which have similar stuff. A guy from France once told me similar things. But surely america is one of the most prominent countries. It`s also because it's shown in movies/series that much while frats from other countries rather fly under the radar.

Reading the article it reminds me of Burning Sands (netflix) which ended a bit like that.

Never knew it existed outside of America. Do you know where it comes from?

Never knew it existed outside of America. Do you know where it comes from?

I just saw a French film where a hazing ritual at a vetrinary school sort of leads to the "downfall" of the main character. I think there's a long history of this kind of thing throughout history as a way to "bond" in a fucked up way.

It would probably depend on what you did in the fraternity. If you had a leadership role or worked on projects or in committee positions and did well in it that could help you get an actual job in a similar area

---->

Protip: You can organize a club/group/etc. to do that, without it being a "frat."

Also, calling people who are/were in fraternities "Greek" is insulting to actual Greeks, and the entire country of Greece.

Scipio

These kind of practices are also seen in European universities. We have stuff like that in Belgium too, involving a lot of beer, normally harmless dares, but sometimes... also human deaths.

It is seen as the essence of adolesence, just before professional life.

In the same week I've seen GAF defend antifa (which is an organization with bad members) then lambast fraternities (organizations with bad chapters).

Stereotyping is bad if it doesn't fit the agenda, it seems.

Top Bottom