• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18-year-old arrested for pretending to be a doctor in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

img-Exclusive-Partner-of-Love-Robinson-speaks-out.jpg

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —When undercover sheriff’s deputies hustled Malachi Love-Robinson out of his clinic in handcuffs, business partner Perseus Wells was stunned.

Love-Robinson is the teenager accused of posing as a doctor. His business partner said he is just as confused as everyone else.

“I was actually telling them, ‘He's not an MD. I was still going with the MD thing, and they told me, ‘Listen, he's not a doctor at all,’” Wells said.

Wells said he thought Love-Robinson’s claims of being a naturopathic doctor were legitimate. The health department told him that the state of Florida doesn’t license NDs, and Love-Robinson’s certificates aren’t valid.

“I wanted to ask him, ‘Come on, come clean, is this true?’” Wells said.

Wells met Love-Robinson at his job selling cellphones. They struck up a friendship, and Wells invested $10,000 in Love-Robinson’s new alternative health clinic.

Wells said he knew nothing of the teen’s background, but thought he was a really smart kid until he was charged with practicing medicine without a license, grand theft and forgery.

“He called me the night he got out,” Wells said. “He gave me a long apology and said it was just a misunderstanding and he never would put me in a situation where he would involve me in stuff. He still tells me that he is innocent.

Wells said he’s lost his investment money and his dream of opening a clinic, and he’s still not sure about his partner.

“I don't want to judge,” Wells said. “When the gavel hits and the jury decides that he is a liar, that’s when I'm going to say to myself, ‘Yep, he's a liar.”
http://www.wpbf.com/news/business-partner-of-accused-fake-doctor-speaks-out/38068336

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfCgH9D7TD8

Hazmat

Wow, you think "Who's going to invest in this kid?" and then you keep reading and it's like "Yeah, this is the kind of idiot that would invest in this kid."

Holy God damn shit where the fuck are this kid's parents? If he'd at least apologized it might have made for a cheeky media story, but the pile of lies make him look like a remorseless asshole or borderline insane. If he really does have a lawyer, how is he not putting a gag order on him?

Saddest part is that it's not even that hard to start a "natural medicine" business. You just have to be honest about your credentials. Looking at the bios on the website it looks like he wrote the entire thing lol, reads like a HS writing project.

Edit: OMG what kind of fucking idiot invests $10,000 on a kid working at the mall? I can't even wrap my head around this fuckery.

This is one of those stories that just gets better with every update

I'm crying. Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I type this

Holy God damn shit where the fuck are this kid's parents? If he'd at least apologized it might have made for a cheeky media story, but the pile of lies make him look like a remorseless asshole or borderline insane. If he really does have a lawyer, how is he not putting a gag order on him?

Saddest part is that it's not even that hard to start a "natural medicine" business. You just have to be honest about your credentials. Looking at the bios on the website it looks like he wrote the entire thing lol, reads like a HS writing project.

Edit: OMG what kind of fucking idiot invests $10,000 on a kid working at the mall? I can't even wrap my head around this fuckery.

This is the part that gets me. Wtf is wrong with that guy?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Title needs to be edited to say "again" or something. I knew this sounded familiar

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
lmao, this kid is great. Feel like he's the type of person who has a bright and interesting future ahead of him, regardless of what he chooses to do. The update with his "business partner" is hilarious.

LycanXIII

Who is this kid living with? Is he scamming enough to live on his own? Are his parents involved, or do they think he's off doing stupid teen stuff?

At this point, it remains unclear if Love-Robinson graduated high school or has a G-E-D. But, according to the website, missionarychapel.com , Malachi Love-Robinson is listed as a doctor and Reverend who was ordained by the group in 2014.

See, he picked the wrong scam. He should have stuck to the ministry. He would have been the head of a huge mega church by now, and no one would be concerned about his credentials.

Griss

I know I should be disgusted and all that but the fucking stones on this kid... I can't help but be impressed.

He may not make it as a doctor but he's got a future in law or politics.

RBH

Malachi Love-Robinson finds himself in the glare of the international media spotlight and the overwhelming attention has driven the teen into hiding, his grandfather said Thursday.

The West Palm Beach teen abruptly ended an interview with ABC television show "Good Morning America" on Thursday morning after telling the interviewer he didn't like the way he was being portrayed.

"Malachi did what he did because he felt like he was doing the right thing," said his grandfather William McKenzie. He added that his grandson is a smart young man who won't stop trying to help people. "Once he comes up out of this, he's going to prove a lot of people wrong," McKenzie said.

Love-Robinson first made news in January 2015 when he was found posing as a doctor at the St. Mary's Medical Center outpatient building in West Palm Beach, according to the Department of Health.

According to sources and records, the teen, then 17, pretended to be a doctor and peeked in on a gynecological exam, all while wearing a lab coat.

Then in September, an anonymous letter warned state officials of a West Palm Beach teenager pretending to be a doctor, claiming degrees and medical licenses he didn't have.

"He is a very skilled con man! He is truly a danger to the general public!!!" wrote a the tipster, who signed the letter "A Concerned Citizen," according to the state report.

Investigators for the Department of Health found that Love-Robinson was "practicing medicine without a license" at the Boynton Beach clinic and advertising his services online, according to the state report.

In an Oct. 14 meeting with state investigators, Love-Robinson said a college transcript and diploma from the Southwest College of Natural Medicine and a diploma from Arizona State University that he had presented at the New Life clinic were fraudulent, according to the report.

Love-Robinson said he did have a doctorate from Ulife Church, an online Christian school, the state report said. "That is why he feels he can be referred to as a doctor," according to the report.

Love-Robinson said he worked at the clinic as program director and counselor, which involved conducting therapy sessions for people facing drug and alcohol addiction, the report said. "He would pray with them, listen to them and give them spiritual advice," the report said.

Love-Robinson told investigators that he advised medical doctors on staff if a client needed a medication adjustment, according to the report.

Yet the state investigators in October determined that Love-Robinson's role at the clinic went too far, saying that for nearly a month he had committed the "practice, or attempted practice of medicine without a license" and was "leading the public to believe [he] was a licensed medical doctor, without holding an active license," the report said.

Another tip that Love-Robinson was again practicing medicine triggered a new inquiry this month by state and local officials, according to authorities.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said Love-Robinson gave physical exams and medical advice to people, including an undercover officer, at a "holistic medical clinic" he opened in West Palm Beach.

Love-Robinson also made visits to the home of Anita Morrison, 86, who was seeking treatment for severe stomach pain, according to the arrest report. He was paid $3,494 for the visits and the Sheriff's Office found that he also stole three checks totaling $2,794 that were later forged and cashed by Love-Robinson, the report said.

Morrison said Love-Robinson seemed so intelligent and well-spoken that it was "amazing" to learn he was only 18. "He was pretty smart," she said. "I just thought he was going to help me."

According to McKenzie, Love-Robinson acquired various degrees online while simultaneously getting his high school diploma. He said his grandson was home-schooled because of severe asthma.

On his Facebook page, Love-Robinson said he suffered from kidney cancer. His grandfather said he wasn't initially aware of that, but knew of some health problems.

"That's how private he is," he said. "He didn't want to upset the family about it."

McKenzie shed some light on the church at which he and Love-Robinson say they serve as pastors. Records show New Birth Outreach Ministries, 4223 56th St. in West Palm Beach, is located at McKenzie's house.

He said congregants used to meet there but now share a space with an unidentified group at a location McKenzie declined to specify. "I really don't want the attention for them," he said.

Now, in addition to the criminal charges, Love-Robinson's West Palm Beach clinic has been shut down and he faces Health Department fines from the two inquiries totaling nearly $3,500.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-teen-doc-follow-day2-20160218-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom