• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Come on man its not that bad (thats what I keep telling myself).... we had some good weather and we do need a bit of rain. lol

I also try and ride through the winter but last year I was off the bike for 3 weeks as the snow was a bit much. And I love my no claims bonus hehe

Yeah I just won't ride in the snow. I am lucky that I don't commute every single day, and can car-share with the wife if its that bad.

Winterizing the Fazer this weekend, finally going to get that top box sorted and a givi touring screen installed, now that I've told the insurance I've got 'em.

If I have time I might pull the downpipes and repaint them too..

I just popped the gas cap lid, i was worried about it being hot, and it looked like the tank had expanded, I was right. As soon as I cracked the seal the tank went down in size.. I have read about this issue before.

I wonder if its a combination of it being exceptionally hot out today, me doubling my wife, and shitty oil that caused it to heat up this way. Either way its going in for first maintenance next week so I'm sure if there is anything to be concerned about they will let me know.

This sounds like a different issue than the ethanol Ducati tank expansion.

That develops over time, and simply opening the gas tank won't shrink the tank back to it's original size, as the issue is the ethanol is causing water to wick into the plastic of the tank itself.

Obviously, talk to your dealer but to me it sounds like a venting issue with your tank based on the fact that the tank returns to it's original size so quickly.

demented

Question for people from UK, how insane is the insurance there? In my country it's pretty cheap, not based on your age etc but I might be moving to UK next year and I just googled around for insurance prices and for bmw s1000rr jeeeeeeeeeezuz, some were quoted as high as 10k pounds! Most people on the forum were over 40 years old with 20 years of driving and were still paying 300-400 at minimum...

So if I do end up moving I'll go for daytona 675r or something but yeah..
Oh and I'll have to take the test since my license is only valid for a year so no past history and higher prices yey QQ

Flo_Evans

Went to hang out at the ducati dealer... ugh!

This place is pretty rad. KTM/Ducati/Triumph dealership with a moto themed restaurant attached to a moto museum with all kinds of stuff.

Fixed1979

Went to hang out at the ducati dealer... ugh!

This place is pretty rad. KTM/Ducati/Triumph dealership with a moto themed restaurant attached to a moto museum with all kinds of stuff.

I love that thing. Great pics, where abouts is this dealership?

Yeah I just won't ride in the snow. I am lucky that I don't commute every single day, and can car-share with the wife if its that bad.

Winterizing the Fazer this weekend, finally going to get that top box sorted and a givi touring screen installed, now that I've told the insurance I've got 'em.

If I have time I might pull the downpipes and repaint them too..

That's some early storage! You have a bonny too right, I'm guessing you'll keep riding that in the meantime?

Dougald

That's some early storage! You have a bonny too right, I'm guessing you'll keep riding that in the meantime?

Nah, winterizing as in, making it good for riding all winter!! I'll ride both until it's freezing, then just keep on the fazer. The only bike that's staying in my garage all winter is my friends Bonnie, and that's cause he's going to Afghanistan.

Question for people from UK, how insane is the insurance there? In my country it's pretty cheap, not based on your age etc but I might be moving to UK next year and I just googled around for insurance prices and for bmw s1000rr jeeeeeeeeeezuz, some were quoted as high as 10k pounds! Most people on the forum were over 40 years old with 20 years of driving and were still paying 300-400 at minimum...

So if I do end up moving I'll go for daytona 675r or something but yeah..
Oh and I'll have to take the test since my license is only valid for a year so no past history and higher prices yey QQ

If you only want 3rd Party, it's not too bad. But it's still high, high, high!

I think I paid £650 comprehensive for the Bonneville just after I passed my test at 24.

I'm now 26 and pay about £300 for the Bonneville. The Fazer costs me £190 but that's third party & theft insurance only.

If you make any modifications make sure to declare them. Some insurers will charge through the roof even if you've simply shoved a top box on it. If you're not keeping it in a garage be prepared to pay out extra, too.

The moral is, do an insurance check before you get that bike...

demented

Yeah I'll check ahead, I don't want to buy a bike I don't want just because of insurance so gonna have to find a middle ground. :/

But I'm running way ahead of myself there's so much to be done before I can come...

Fixed1979

Fixed1979, where are the shots of your Triumph Street Triple R? I need to live vicariously through you!

Still waiting on the dealers call....

Talked to the guy on August 29th, said get it moving, gave him my credit card to throw a 1k deposit on it. Mentioned I might finance depending on what they're offering, otherwise I'll just pay cash. So instead of ordering the bike his boss tells him to wait until I get approved for financing before ordering (this is the 2014 model of Triumphs best selling bike and they're worried that I may not end up buying it? Fuck worst case scenario they take my thousand bucks and the bike is sitting in their showroom for free.)

Anyway, because of the long weekend I don't find this out until the following Tuesday, Sept 3rd, so I asked about financing and I didn't like what they offered so I told them to go ahead and I'll cut them a check...I double checked with them on Wednesday to make sure and he said yes the bike is on order, it's be ready 7-10 days. So I'm watching my credit card statement and there's no hold or charge on there until Friday (Sept 6th) of last week, 8 days after I originally gave them my card and assumed that the bike was on order. I'm hoping that it was just a delay in credit card processing, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they waited 3 more days before ordering the bike.

So anyway here I am just sitting and waiting, I'm going to call them either tomorrow or Wednesday to see if I can get some sort of update. He did tell me that they would be able to give me an actual date in advance because I need to travel 400km to pick the thing up, I also booked this Friday off work on the chance it's there this weekend. I don't want to bug the guy, but seriously, I've been trying to find someone to take my money for like a month now, it's gotten so bad that I'm now re-watching all the STR videos on YouTube. I haven't been this excited about something in a long time, and it's probably the only reason I haven't completely lost it on someone, that and I know that even though my ride time shortens this year with every passing day, I'll have it sitting and ready to go as soon as the snow melts in the spring.

Fixed1979

Just man up and ride the sucker in the winter. You'll appreciate having a motor between your legs even more in the winter.

You don't know where I live lol. I would be shocked if there's anyone who lives further north than me in this thread (56th Parallel) in Canada. It's guaranteed to get down to at least -30C for a few weeks during the winter.

EDIT: I shouldn't say anyone, but I'd doubt if there's more than a handful.

Watevaman

Do yourself a favor and ride it before you install anything too drastic. Find what you don't like about it before you go spending money on things to change.

I know for sure that's one thing I learned with my bike. I bought it with all this stuff on it and even added more stuff but in the end I would've been perfectly fine with a stock bike and my next bike will be as close to stock as I can get.

Fixed1979

Do yourself a favor and ride it before you install anything too drastic. Find what you don't like about it before you go spending money on things to change.

I know for sure that's one thing I learned with my bike. I bought it with all this stuff on it and even added more stuff but in the end I would've been perfectly fine with a stock bike and my next bike will be as close to stock as I can get.

Oh I was just planning a few cosmetic things, nothing to change handling or performance, fly screen, belly pan, bar end mirrors etc. I'm certainly not in any rush to increase performance, I won't be able to use this thing to it's full potential for awhile anyway.

Gritesh

You don't know where I live lol. I would be shocked if there's anyone who lives further north than me in this thread (56th Parallel) in Canada. It's guaranteed to get down to at least -30C for a few weeks during the winter.

EDIT: I shouldn't say anyone, but I'd doubt if there's more than a handful.

Edmonton here :)

Also on my monster I took it all apart tonight and found blockage in the gas tank vent, cleaned it out and made sure no other restrictions should be good to go!

Fixed1979

Edmonton here :)

Also on my monster I took it all apart tonight and found blockage in the gas tank vent, cleaned it out and made sure no other restrictions should be good to go!

Glad to hear you got the tank figured out, this excellent fall weather won't last forever.

I'm actually up in Fort Mac so I have you by a little bit! Pretty much the same weather though. I've been dealing with Echo Cycle on trying to get my Street.

Gritesh

Glad to hear you got the tank figured out, this excellent fall weather won't last forever.

I'm actually up in Fort Mac so I have you by a little bit! Pretty much the same weather though. I've been dealing with Echo Cycle on trying to get my Street.

Yeah I knew you were talking about echo haha, I've never been in there, I actually bought my monster from bow cycle in Calgary. Took 9 weeks to get it in :(

As they say, winter is coming unfortunately. So it's almost time to park the bike for 6 months.

Fixed1979

Oh man, don't even start about 6 months winters. I've been up here for around 9 hears and last years was the darkest I've been through, it was rough. I'm definitely going to try out one of the blue lights in my office this winter. Thankfully we didn't get the snow you guys did.

Fixed1979

Quick update. Talked to Aaron at Echo (who despite all my bitching is actually pretty awesome and I'd recommend to anyone), the bike is due to hit Edmonton on Friday, I'm going to run down on Tuesday to pick it up.

Fixed1979

Nice. Got all your gear already?

Picked up a helmet, jacket and gloves a few weeks back. I was planning to grab a pair of boots while I was at the dealer (I was thinking a pair of S-MX 1 if they had them, otherwise a nice Triumph branded pair of something). I wouldn't mind grabbing a new pair of gloves as well, the ones I bought don't have gauntlets, and I'm not sure how warm they'll be now that it's starting to cool off.

No idea what I'm doing for pants, I'm a little lost on the best way to go. For commuting to work I think I need some over-pants of some sort, but for just going for a evening or weekend ride I wouldn't mind a full on pair of good textile pants.

Any of you guys live in NYC? Picking up a bike this weekend and will be keeping it at my parents for a few weeks but I eventually want to bring it down.

I'm concerned about parking for it though. Anyone have any tips?

Fixed1979

Any of you guys live in NYC? Picking up a bike this weekend and will be keeping it at my parents for a few weeks but I eventually want to bring it down.

I'm concerned about parking for it though. Anyone have any tips?

If you're parking outside then it might be worth looking at a lock...I will probably pick one up over the winter, as I plan on parking outside in the summer.

Not sure if anyone around here has experience with these or not.

xena_xxseries_alarm_xx6_yel_LG.jpg

Just received this e-mail...this will never end.

TriumphDealer said:
Hey Fixed,

There is a recall on your bike for the ABS, we have the parts on order. They might not be here by Tuesday. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Dougald

I wouldn't recommend a xena lock. I've owned two and both developed a problem after a year where they would go off whenever they feel like it. Now I just use a cheap standard disc lock.

If you have a non alarmed lock then make sure you get a reminder cable, don't wanna ride off with it still on!

Fixed1979

I wouldn't recommend a xena lock. I've owned two and both developed a problem after a year where they would go off whenever they feel like it. Now I just use a cheap standard disc lock.

If you have a non alarmed lock then make sure you get a reminder cable, don't wanna ride off with it still on!

What about immobilizers? They seem to be expensive and a complete pain, but are they worth it? I know the Speed Triples come with one installed but it's an add-on for the Street.

Dougald

You'll get pretty wildly differing opinions on these as it involves cutting into the wiring loom

For what it's worth I had the Triumph factory alarm/immobilizer installed on my Bonneville (the Datatool S3) this year after my second Xena lock failed. It's been pretty reliable so far, I think they do the same one for all their current models, cost me around £300 from the dealership. If you're going to get an alarm I would recommend also getting an Optimate battery tender or similar.

...however, if someone *really* wants to nick your bike, they'll just pick it up and load it into a soundproof van. Alarms are more for preventing casual theft/idiots sitting on your bike (which I got a lot on my Bonneville).

Dougald

Yeah I'll be taking mine out this evening, not too cold yet. Roads are wet but this is England, so par for the course! Haven't been out in over a week as I've been stuck working on-call, 2 wheels are calling..

Dougald

Oh just a couple of rattle cans of simoniz VHT paint, nothing fancy. I'm planning to run the engine up and down a few times in cycles tomorrow for curing. Quite pleased with the job really considering it cost less than a tenner.

I think if I did the job again I'd pay up and have it shot blasted, save me 4 hours prep work!

Watevaman

Yeah, my exhaust is pitted to hell and back so there's always residual rust (even after a light sandblast). I'm pretty sure any future aftermarket exhausts I get would be stainless just so I don't have to worry as much.

Dougald

Luckily the later FZS 600's had a "stainless" exhaust so there wasn't too much rust, which is great as the exhaust on the older models has a reputation of rusting to pieces the moment it rains, especially as the paint is terrible.

...However, none of the welds on it are stainless steel, so there was still plenty of rust there when I stripped it down - all the paint had come off the underside of the bike so there was no way it would last the winter. Exhaust itself is still solid though and has a good few years left in it, no use me spending £300 on an aftermarket stainless exhaust when a tenner a year on paint and some elbow grease will do.

...however, if someone *really* wants to nick your bike, they'll just pick it up and load it into a soundproof van. Alarms are more for preventing casual theft/idiots sitting on your bike (which I got a lot on my Bonneville).

Totally. Best protection is being insured for theft.

2nd attempt at MSF this weekend, this time the weather is more forgiving. Been riding my CBR250R for a few weeks now and it's really helping with the class this time around. Hoping to pass the test but i've got a DMV license exam scheduled in 2 weeks just in case. The low-speed right hand turns still get me!

Watevaman

I'm really terrible at low speed turns (well, pretty much tight u-turns). I chalk it up to the fact that I can't do full lock on my bike with my aftermarket handlebars but that's not excuse for supersport riders who have no choice and can do it fine.

I can do a low-speed left with plenty of confidence but when I have to tuck in my throttle hand for a right it's nerve-wracking.

Also, any advice on aftermarket mirrors? I can barely see around my elbows and I've adjusted the stock mirrors on the Honda as best as I can.

Watevaman

If you don't lanesplit then you can get bar end mirrors. I have some cheap ones made by Bikemaster and they work pretty good. Of course, they vibrate like mad because they take the place of the stock balancers but you can still tell if there's a car coming up on you or something.

Nothing beats a head check though.

iamblades

I'm really terrible at low speed turns (well, pretty much tight u-turns). I chalk it up to the fact that I can't do full lock on my bike with my aftermarket handlebars but that's not excuse for supersport riders who have no choice and can do it fine.

Clutch and throttle control is the real key to low speed maneuvering, as well as shifting your weight around on the bike. You can also drag the rear brake to help keep your speed steady while you are learning to be more precise with the clutch, but it's really not needed once you have perfect clutch and throttle coordination.

If you try to steer through low speed turns with the bars you will just wear yourself out and never feel very smooth. If you try to lean the bike through a slow speed turn without proper clutch and throttle control and weight transfer, you will drop the bike. You have to keep the revs up using the clutch and throttle to stabilize the bike at low speed. New riders seem to want to treat the clutch the same as they would in a car, I did it myself when I started. The clutch on the motorcycle is not an on/off switch, it is a fine control that you need to use to smoothly operate the bike.

You don't need a large steering input for tight turns:

http://youtu.be/XCGaQMgkzw8

Watevaman

Clutch and throttle control is the real key to low speed maneuvering, as well as shifting your weight around on the bike. You can also drag the rear brake to help keep your speed steady while you are learning to be more precise with the clutch, but it's really not needed once you have perfect clutch and throttle coordination.

If you try to steer through low speed turns with the bars you will just wear yourself out and never feel very smooth. If you try to lean the bike through a slow speed turn without proper clutch and throttle control and weight transfer, you will drop the bike. You have to keep the revs up using the clutch and throttle to stabilize the bike at low speed. New riders seem to want to treat the clutch the same as they would in a car, I did it myself when I started. The clutch on the motorcycle is not an on/off switch, it is a fine control that you need to use to smoothly operate the bike.

You don't need a large steering input for tight turns:

http://youtu.be/XCGaQMgkzw8

Yeah I was great at the box in the MSF class, but I just seemed to have lost it over time. I have about 7k miles of riding under my belt now but I'm still uncomfortable making a u-turn in a two lane road.

I'm going to see if I can find a nice flat parking lot and practice like I used to.

Rear brake is all you need.

Though the last time I really needed to do a uturn on my bike is when I took the exam almost ten years ago.

I've always found smooth, small throttle input, clutch modulation, and a bit of counter-weighting to work. I'm still pretty bad compared to some of those motorcycle cops! Plus most of my riding never involves low speed tight turns. Sportbike clipons blow for it, I must say. The first time I got on a standard (after having ridden a few years sportbike-only) I was blown away by the feel of control when going around a parking lot. Much nicer for that!

Gritesh

I've been riding for about 5 years now and one of the things that still bothers me is the big what if.

Does anyone else have that problem? I mean I love riding and everything that goes with it but now with ababy on the way more than ever have that small voice in the back of my head reminding me that what I'm doing is a choice that I'm making and is not the safest choice out there.

I guess it's a little bit of nervous apprehension but once I'm on the bike it all slips away and I have a blasty blast out there riding.

Probably doesn't help that three years ago I lost a friend on his bike.

MSF PASSED! Showed that fucking Box Double U-Turn who's BAWS!!!

I've been riding for about 5 years now and one of the things that still bothers me is the big what if.

Does anyone else have that problem?

I've only been riding for a month and it bothers me already. My remedy is to ride within my limits and the limits of the bike. Always defensive when I'm surrounded by cagers and i'm NEVER the first vehicle to enter an intersection if I can manage. So glad I got a CBR250 for my first bike because I know I can never really go fast on it. After 30 days of riding I have a really good feel for the bike and I can make it do what I need now that I finally know how to downshift properly.

Tonight was my first time riding at night which isn't allowed with my learners permit. Transit delays kept me from going home while the sun was up. I was scared shitless but things actually turned out great. Sunday evening traffic, just a few cars on the road and nothing but green lights all the way home.

Does anyone else have that problem? I mean I love riding and everything that goes with it but now with ababy on the way more than ever have that small voice in the back of my head reminding me that what I'm doing is a choice that I'm making and is not the safest choice out there.

I guess it's a little bit of nervous apprehension but once I'm on the bike it all slips away and I have a blasty blast out there riding.

Probably doesn't help that three years ago I lost a friend on his bike.

Yeah, that really bothered me about two years ago, back then I didn't have a car and used my old Yamaha YZF750R (the one I traded in for the Buell) to drive back and forth between Amsterdam and Leiden. Did that quite often during rush hours and actually lost some sleep over how dangerous that is (or can be). I've got a car now and just ride my motorcycles for fun. Arguably that's more dangerous, but it feels different; there's no rush in getting anywhere at a certain time and I'm wearing a lot of high visibility gear. Like you said, the feeling vanishes once I get on the bike (save for the defensive riding style that I hope keeps me safe).

Top Bottom