• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Exhaust paint cured up nicely, but seems the new gasket on the join at the end can isn't quite as efficient as the old one and it's leaking. Bah.

Picked up a tube of sealant today, should do the trick. Honestly if that's the only problem I have with this job I'll be pleasantly surprised..

Fixed1979

Exhaust paint cured up nicely, but seems the new gasket on the join at the end can isn't quite as efficient as the old one and it's leaking. Bah.

Picked up a tube of sealant today, should do the trick. Honestly if that's the only problem I have with this job I'll be pleasantly surprised..

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I always dig black pipes.

So I'm still waiting to find out when I can pick up my bike. I've been told it's in Edmonton but the ABS parts aren't...I'm so tempted to tell them if it's not ready Saturday then they can keep in until spring as it will most likely be October by the time I get a chance to get down there again. Not sure if that's a completely dick move or not, but at this point I'm exhausted by the process. Bike was "ordered" on the 29th of August with a 7-10 day expected delivery...

EDIT: and parts are in...I still feel better after my little rant though. I should find out tomorrow morning when I can pick it up.

Almost $2k cheaper than a Street Triple R, what do you folks think of the Yamaha FZ-09?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/22/2014-yamaha-fz-09-technical-review-kevin-cameron/

WING8296-2014-yamaha-fz-09-right.jpg

Fixed1979

Almost $2k cheaper than a Street Triple R, what do you folks think of the Yamaha FZ-09?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/22/2014-yamaha-fz-09-technical-review-kevin-cameron/

WING8296-2014-yamaha-fz-09-right.jpg

I have friends that will swear by Yamaha regardless of what it is. I guess the only thing to remember is that this is the first model year (if you're one of those people who avoid that type of thing). Cheaper with more power, not a bad combo. Personally I think the Streets are prettier and there's something about being on a Triumph than just another Japanese bike.

Everything is finally resolved, piking up my Triple on Monday. Sucks that I'm driving right on to the back of a trailer and driving for 4 hours before I get to actually ride it, but at least I'll finally have the thing!

Your quest to get on 2 wheels is almost over!

If that Yamaha also had ABS i'd be all over it. Spec-wise it seems to be loaded with a lot of usable goodies to make for a great daily commuter.

Gritesh

I have friends that will swear by Yamaha regardless of what it is. I guess the only thing to remember is that this is the first model year (if you're one of those people who avoid that type of thing). Cheaper with more power, not a bad combo. Personally I think the Streets are prettier and there's something about being on a Triumph than just another Japanese bike.

Everything is finally resolved, piking up my Triple on Monday. Sucks that I'm driving right on to the back of a trailer and driving for 4 hours before I get to actually ride it, but at least I'll finally have the thing!

Glad everything is getting worked out. I trailered my ducati monster home from Calgary before I got to ride it :)

Dougald

It's a great looking bike, but I'd still rather have the Triumph. Wouldn't say no to a good finance deal if I was looking, though.

Fixed1979

Everything went well with the pick-up yesterday. It ended up being a very long day, left town at 7:30AM and got back around 9:30PM. Still haven't had a chance to get on it, I was way too exhausted last night, and I'm stuck at work for another few hours. I'll get some pictures over the next day or so.

I did have a question about gravel...I didn't think about this before but my parking lot at work is not paved, also the warehouse where my bike is parked is about 60ft from the road through this unpaved parking lot. Exactly how dangerous is it to slowly drive this thing onto the road, should I absolutely not consider it and get off and walk it?

Watevaman

Everything went well with the pick-up yesterday. It ended up being a very long day, left town at 7:30AM and got back around 9:30PM. Still haven't had a chance to get on it, I was way too exhausted last night, and I'm stuck at work for another few hours. I'll get some pictures over the next day or so.

I did have a question about gravel...I didn't think about this before but my parking lot at work is not paved, also the warehouse where my bike is parked is about 60ft from the road through this unpaved parking lot. Exactly how dangerous is it to slowly drive this thing onto the road, should I absolutely not consider it and get off and walk it?

You'll have a harder time walking it than just riding it.

Depending on what kind of gravel (deep versus a dusting of small rocks), you shouldn't use the throttle at all. Just use good clutch control to get the bike rolling for the shorter distance. For the parking lot at work just keep your throttle inputs small and don't jerk it.

Gravel is only as bad as you make it. I rolled onto a gravel road unexpectedly going about 60 mph and slowed the bike down just fine, but I used small inputs. You'd be surprised what a bike can do.

Dougald

I dropped my bike in gravel and I'll echo that it's easier to ride it than walk it. I was trying to push the bike out of the parking space before riding to be "safe", ended up losing my footing and going down with the bike on top. Should have just ridden it.

Just take it slow and you'll be fine with practice.

Ended up dropping my bike today. Got really cold here in Wisconsin, first turn outta the driveway, tires apparently too cold, leaned too much, tires slipped.

Gotta figure out damages still. Scratched up the right fairing. Rear brake is a little bent. Rode to work still, but it felt a bit off. Maybe alignment/handlebars are screwed up?

Fixed1979

Ended up dropping my bike today. Got really cold here in Wisconsin, first turn outta the driveway, tires apparently too cold, leaned too much, tires slipped.

Gotta figure out damages still. Scratched up the right fairing. Rear brake is a little bent. Rode to work still, but it felt a bit off. Maybe alignment/handlebars are screwed up?

That sucks, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Sorry to hear it, what bike?

Walking, especially with little experience in the beginning, can be more difficult than just riding the bike. Like Watevaman said, just use the clutch to get the bike moving and use the brake only when the bike is straightened out (or very little when you're turning).

Hmmm, oh and you should probably put something like a piece of wood or a flat rock under the side stand so it doesn't sink in the gravel/sand. Would be a bummer to return to see your bike lying in the gravel.

I dropped my bike in gravel and I'll echo that it's easier to ride it than walk it. I was trying to push the bike out of the parking space before riding to be "safe", ended up losing my footing and going down with the bike on top. Should have just ridden it.

Just take it slow and you'll be fine with practice.

Stuff like this happens when you dont expect it. I was on my GS and parked on a gravel bit. All fine.. i even thought that parking the bike on this small bump is a good idea. So on leaving I hopped on the bike and started to try and push it backwards to get over this stupid bump... oops there slips my foot and down I go... did not even move. Felt like a real douchbag. Had to get my mate to help me pickup the bike. Wont be doing that again.

Also my dad had a few encounters with the sidestand being out and going around the corner... that gives you a massive wakeup call.

Take it slow and ride within your limits.

When I got back from my first ride on my new bike i tried to hop off of it like a bicycle. Barely kept it upright when i landed on the ground. Lesson learned!

Sarcasm

My one and only spill was going from pavement to gravel to park. And I wasn't even going 10km.

Man..that was a real kicker.

Watevaman

Also, one thing new riders don't expect to be a problem but that can quickly turn into one is loose grass around a turn. It can mess you up just as bad as wet leaves and gravel if you're not careful.

In fact, just try to avoid anything that doesn't look like pavement/concrete and you'll be fine.

Fixed1979

So I got just over 200km on my Street now and I'm very happy. One of my concerns was being able to handle the power as a newbie, I'm finding the bike friendly and the throttle is very manageable. It'll also really move when you want it to and sounds great when it's cracked open.

One odd thing I noticed (and I'm sure I've read this on another forum) is when I go from N to 1st in doesn't always switch and I need to move it forward an inch or two for it to actually engage. This isn't always the case though, it only happens every once and awhile.

Flo_Evans

You probably just need to kick it a little harder. If the gears (actually the drive collar, the gears constantly mesh) aren't aligned it will not go in.

Watevaman

It's normal. Happens on my GS all the time. I'm not sure if this alleviates it, but I always shift down through the gears until I'm almost stopped, then when I am stopped I'll throw it into neutral if I need to be in neutral. I find that this helps a little when it comes to shifting back into first.

Another piece of advice: when someone honks because you didn't shift into first fast enough, put the side stand down (in neutral of course), get off, and sit besides it.

That'll really fuck with 'em

Fixed1979

You probably just need to kick it a little harder. If the gears (actually the drive collar, the gears constantly mesh) aren't aligned it will not go in.

That's what I thought at first but I can literally stand on it and it won't engage unless the bike moves forward an inch or two.

It's normal. Happens on my GS all the time. I'm not sure if this alleviates it, but I always shift down through the gears until I'm almost stopped, then when I am stopped I'll throw it into neutral if I need to be in neutral. I find that this helps a little when it comes to shifting back into first.

Another piece of advice: when someone honks because you didn't shift into first fast enough, put the side stand down (in neutral of course), get off, and sit besides it.

That'll really fuck with 'em

Lol, some passive aggressive motorcycling, I'm not sure how well that would go over. I leave it in 1st at lights and stops so it's really only a problem when first pulling away after being parked.

Sometime when you gear down from 6th and not letting the clutch go between the shifts you get the gear not dropping further. When you come to a stop just slowly release the clutch and drop through the gears. All bikes has its own way of feeling and riding that you have to get use to. The old BMW GS versions would make a big old clunk when shifting up or down. But its the way they are made and you get use to it.

Dougald

I've had that problem once or twice

More common for me is either getting it in Neutral instead of 2nd gear from 1st, or not being able to find neutral when stopped. The solution for the latter is to ride forward a bit and then it's normally fine. I blame those British gearboxes on the Triumph, though I've had the 1st>2nd gear problem on every bike I've ever ridden at some point.

yup, my sfv 650 likes to kick up into neutral instead of second on the occasional. this is common with continuous mesh shifters. eh, part of the personality.

So I got just over 200km on my Street now and I'm very happy. One of my concerns was being able to handle the power as a newbie, I'm finding the bike friendly and the throttle is very manageable. It'll also really move when you want it to and sounds great when it's cracked open.

One odd thing I noticed (and I'm sure I've read this on another forum) is when I go from N to 1st in doesn't always switch and I need to move it forward an inch or two for it to actually engage. This isn't always the case though, it only happens every once and awhile.

Man, can't wait to graduate to a middleweight bike. Already starting to feel the limits of my CBR250. I also get that issue with 1st gear where it simply won't engage from Neutral. I just release the clutch completely and kick down...viola!

Dougald

Finally got a weekend without work so was able to give the Fazer a run in with the winter gear. No real problems, on to the next task! Unfortuantely you can't see any difference in the downpipes from the picture as all the needed work was underneath, but *I* know it's been done! If I can get away with not having to put £300+ stainless pipes on before I sell it then it's worth the effort.

As oversized top-boxes go, I think this one is reasonably stylish. I still prefer the look without, but as I use it to commute in to work over the winter I need the storage. The new screen is an MRA which works great, loses all the windblast from my torso and some from the helmet. Unfortunately still enough road noise that I'll need earplugs on long journeys.

This is the way I've completely avoided the issue on all bikes I've owned.

Took my first run through the canyons near where I live, this is a lot scarier than I thought. Wasn't really confident with the way my bike would keep traction so i kept a steady pace. The sucky part was that it was only a 2 lane road so I had to pull over a few times to let cagers pass. Took a nice panorama on the way home. Should be familiar to other SF Bay area 2 wheel Gaffers.

The CBR250 is not a great bike for a canyon run....

1264591_10201551761489287_2090284918_o.jpg

Sarcasm

Took my first run through the canyons near where I live, this is a lot scarier than I thought. Wasn't really confident with the way my bike would keep traction so i kept a steady pace. The sucky part was that it was only a 2 lane road so I had to pull over a few times to let cagers pass. Took a nice panorama on the way home. Should be familiar to other SF Bay area 2 wheel Gaffers.

The CBR250 is not a great bike for a canyon run....

1264591_10201551761489287_2090284918_o.jpg

What do you mean not a great bike..due to what?

My 125cc scooter is great for about everything I do with it lol. I like to take my wife up the mountain and down the other side to a beach. There is also a waterfall I take her too.

Watevaman

Yeah, I'd say as long as you're on asphalt (like, no gravel or painted lines), you're going to be hard pressed to lose traction on a bike in a normal canyon ride. You just have to be confident and the bike will follow through.

The lanes were pretty narrow so the soil/dirt patches were making their way into the middle of the lane from the canyon walls. There are 2 other canyon paths that i'm going to preview with Google Maps to see how wide the lanes are. Then there's the bike. So much upshifting/downshifting but looking back I think this was great practice.

The lanes were pretty narrow so the soil/dirt patches were making their way into the middle of the lane from the canyon walls. There are 2 other canyon paths that i'm going to preview with Google Maps to see how wide the lanes are. Then there's the bike. So much upshifting/downshifting but looking back I think this was great practice.

How many miles do you have on your bike now?

I wasn't confident with turning initially, but over time I naturally leaned over more and more.

Sarcasm

The only time I ever was scared for my life was when a car 3 lanes swerved all the way into my lane.

I don't know how I kept the scooter up. It drifted/skidded over than started to tip...I think gassing it saved me.

Decided to go on another ride today and pushed a little further from where I was since there was more light out.

http://goo.gl/maps/QoHu8

Wide lanes, no cars for miles and more noob-friendly stretches....but the wind! Oh my god, the WIND!!! I felt like I was being shoved left and right! Tried to tuck down behind the windscreen but this stuff was blasting me from the sides relentlessly. Glad there weren't any cars because I was trying to practice riding into the direction of the gusts.

My consolation was the view, nothing but rolling hills as far as the eye could see!

Top Bottom